Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
kill the beast

Late Evening Overcast
P
Hunter
Discovery
04-15-2022, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2022, 09:29 PM by Sindri. Edited 3 times in total.)
For @Uriel

Sindri strode the Alpine Moors in a swift and quiet trot. The flowers tickled her senses with soft fragrance. The many small hills and knolls were promising.. Above, the moon was covered, it's light dim and hazy. Though it was not the moon which brought the world light tonight. Tonight, the skies danced with slivers and swirls of color and Sindri time and time again had been certain it was the Gods.

The world had not felt right lately and Sindri had atone with them for their mercy to Northfall and its friends. Tonight, however, she hunted. It was a quick meal she sought. Not to patiently fish (the ocean was also too dangerous atm with all the storms), not to navigate the slopes for goat or need partners for the caribou in the forest. She sought something quick and small, as herself.
the staff team luvs u

Adventurer
Discovery
04-18-2022, 10:52 PM
hope don't mind a lil backlogging in dates for sake of timelines! For Uriel setting before 4/11

A territory that bordered between the tundra and the mountains, a settling of a valley that acted but a bridge between two mountains. She wasn't planning to touch the north for quite some time, getting a bit anxious on the thought of the enemies being around.. Though Boomba was slayed, his harem was not, and the one who raved about coats, was still within the waters itself. A vacation time, she so thought, where she'd take some time adjusting the adrenaline that brought from that moment.

But before, shw saw the moor as but an empty place. Settling in a few hills here and there and but another passing by — yet, Uriel realized she was mistaken. She only came upon the wrong season, as the golden damn was venturing back into the plains she noticed over the mountain head of the sunset look that took over. 

She saw flowers.

[Image: deyfh1x-2e354465-c43c-448a-b1d1-fc2b0d3d...DTvYdAwd_4]

Beauty within the view, for it was coated in but a violet look, not particularly touching other coats. She thought of it to be unusual, for normally wild areas would contain a variety of different shades and yet.. Only saw the royal colors among it all, and curiously, dipped from the peaks she was on and ventured toward it's moor. The smell of the of their fragrance wafting to her nose that she took a deep breath in a love of the scents. 

A desire, to perhaps take a few home in but a pleasant memory — though in the distance a similarly golden pelt caught her view. Uriel smiled politely, and greeted, "hello."

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-22-2022, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2022, 04:45 PM by Sindri. Edited 1 time in total.)
That works! Can say it was while it was still storming but all the craziness didn't happen yet.

Sindri shoved her nose in the purple blooms. It's smell, sight, touch, screaming that Spring had come to them. The clouds filled with rain but did not yet spill but soon would wash the world clean of a new year's season come. Secretly, still, the smell of the flowers reminded her of the Thornweaver in Elysium.

Muzzle still deep in the flora, her sunflower eyes fluttered up and into the direction of Uriel, the golden and blonde woman who stood before her now. Lifting up her head, nose covered now in pollen, she sneezed and laughed sheepishly from it.  “Hello to you too, wanderer.” She greeted politely.

She remembered now she had seen this woman once before when she was walking a stretch of icy coastline north of her claim. It was when that Frostchant girl had gotten kidnapped, by walrus, as crazy as that sounded. Sindri had come to these Moors and sounded the alarm. Funny. Sindri didn't recall Frostchant's Alpha offering any proper thanks for her allies swift approach, either.
the staff team luvs u

Discovery
Adventurer
04-24-2022, 07:23 PM
Upon the air was the sweet and delictable scent of the flowers — and the swarming of the other upon the wind. She was not a loner like herself, as the smell of a pack was upon her so. She could tell upon this land that is was met often between some ; as within the east there was a vagueness of a border upon the mountains that she generally avoided. But the woman before her did not smell like those peaks, but somewhere else, "Do you live around here?" Uriel finally asked.

Tension was broken though by the bits sneezing from the other, and she smiled. The land was especially pollinated from the arrival of spring. She could see the bees swarming around to gather what they so desire — and wondered where their hive would be. The coming of honey within the realm was arriving, or it was already here. 

As a breeze came through, she gently sniffed the air — she thought she smelled something else.. But the swarming of the fragrant flowers once again came through and blocked what was.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
05-05-2022, 01:34 AM
Though the smell of the flowers all around them hid much of the scents otherwise in the area, it did not hide which was standing before Sindri now. This woman though she had seen before (though in their circumstances were unable to chit-chat) she did not pick up the scent of Frostchant on her, nor of the one which Tiberius had worn when visiting her home or even that deep forest Scents Valmua and Kuhn held. A wanderer perhaps indeed, a loner.

Sindri was not and never was for long. “Yes, in Northfall.” She spike as she turned her head around behind her, jutting a creamy muzzle in the direction west. “Those mountains just over there.” She turns around and then tips her muzzle towards the mountains then to the east. “These Moors rest between my mountains and those who we call friend.” At least some of them anyway.

“Ive seen you before, helping with that walrus problem...” She mused as she came closer, looking the golden woman over. “Do you live around here too?”
the staff team luvs u

Adventurer
05-06-2022, 01:34 AM
She looked to the mountain near the moor and noted mentally of a pack — so the land was not a place she could explore with an ease. The other mountain chain though as also full of packs that came across, but was a bit more sparse within space that she could find the crossing of their territory. Uriel could only imagine the trouble one could attempt on claiming that whole mountain chain ; and she would fear a pack that was large enough to even do so.

A woman who saw the Walrus issue.. But Uriel didn't see her, feeling that was impolite to say and refrained from so. Though realizing it, now that she could smell the other better amongst the fragrance, she vaguely recognized it as similar as Ragnar's. Perhaps they were packmates then.. But she shook her head, "I live within the plains and only was passing through."

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
05-13-2022, 04:16 PM
Sindri had never been to the plains before. She remembered the Riddle Heights and the territory of Vanderfell. She remembered the Frozen falls which she had visited with Harper. But she had never gone more southward or east then this. The peachy woman imagined it was a far trek.

“I've never seen the plains in these lands before...” She didn't figure she would care too, either. “Seems a far way for just passing through.” In this part of the tundra, there was no 'plains' anywhere near. However, not wanting to sound like a suspicious woman, “You must love to travel.” As did Ragnar. It had gained them both friends and foes in many places.

“I never stray too far from the coast for long...” She admits, forming more conversation. “The territory may be different but ive always lived in eye of the sea.” Even here, when there was a good breeze and the direction was right, there was a distance scent of salt from the south-west. At least, in the winter it had been. Now with spring, the smell of the flowers had tried its best to engulf everything. It even did pretty well to hide thr tracks of those rodent creatures which lived here.
the staff team luvs u

Discovery
Adventurer
06-05-2022, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2022, 08:26 PM by Uriel.)
She nodded, "I don't live in any packs or plan to for the moment.. But travelling is a great way to meet new wolves." She would hope by then maybe Uriel would get acquainted enough with one and it's members to feel comfortable enough ; but for the meanwhile she hasn't. Another brought a good point she truly never went to their doors and asked about them — and Uriel couldn't say the reason she didn't.. Maybe she was scared. There had been a lot of terrors she faced both wolven, and non-wolf.

"I haven't been to the sea.. At least a proper beach, this is about the farthest i've go," she smiled in an honesty, as her eyes drifted to the south and peered beyond to the blue ; but could not see the sands. Instead the world of flora continued to hang, and she did not think the view was any less. Uriel inhaled deeply, a moment her eyes closed and taking within the alpine flowers that continued, endlessly, around. Even a breeze came by, bathing them within their petals.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Discovery
06-11-2022, 01:49 AM
Uriel truly did love to travel, even more so then Ragnar, perhaps for this woman held no boundaries nor limitations. She was a loner with the whole world for the taking. Sindri felt so however, a lonely path for which they were called loners. The woman stated that it was a great way to meet new wolves. Maybe she had many friends to rely on. After all, being alone was hard especially if food grew scarce and competition became a must. If she got ill, injured or needing help caring for the next generation...

When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

“I would hope then you have made many friends too, with those you've met. I would think it would be lonely otherwise. I myself have traveled much before but always with a partner at my side.” She sits then among the flowing grasses and alpine flowers of the Moors. She didn't know where the woman had been heading while passing through and hoped she wasn't keeping her. “What all lands have you seen out there, to the East? What are they like?” Curiosity wanted her to know even if she would not travel that far. She just wanted to be more aware of what was beyond her knowing.
the staff team luvs u

06-14-2022, 12:00 AM
She paused for a moment, the series of wolves that she met was in an ordinary fashion, a line as she observed in thought, "I would hope so," but there was uncertainty within her voice. She didn't know in truth whether these individuals counted her as one, and Uriel was afraid to fully say so in the truth that they were not. That would hurt most of all, a rejection that would come and she did not want to think of that. .. Did she have friends? Enemies? Would she ever even have, a family? It was all unknown.

She was smiling and did not mind the other asking questions, responding so, "in the south are plentiful of mountains. Further are deep forests, while in the east are wide open plains. Though I haven't visited it, even further is a wasteland of a desert." She could see it forming, the dunes that splintered the two lands and the becoming of the heat waves that formed so ; but she never went in it. It was too hot to bear and something about it gave her wariness.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-19-2022, 08:14 PM
The woman before her hoped as such, though Sindri could tell the uncertainty in her voice. Sindri then truly did think this woman was lonely or at least was feeling the beginning signs of it. If she had no friends, maybe she had no enemies either. There were many packs and if she wished to one day settle it was unlikely she would not be able to find one that was worth calling home, both in the wolves themselves and the lands she lived.

Sindri had known of the mountains south. They started at Cloudrest snd cut a large separation from the east and west. Ragnar and their children had gone down and around them in order to find Northfall. She knew nothing beyond this and so listened keenly as Uriel mentioned the thick forests, the plains where she was from and then a desert beyond that.

“I've never seen a desert before...” She murmurs, wondering if there was more this woman was willing to share. “I heard it is all sand, what seems like an endless beach. That they are the hottest places in the world with no water and no rain.” Her nose wrinkled comically, showing her disinterest. The north was cold, cold af in the winter, sure, but at least it had water. Sindri's words were questioning, as though wondering if this woman could tell her if it were truthful.
the staff team luvs u

07-01-2022, 10:46 PM
"It gets so hot when I get near, I dare not to even enter." Uriel admitted as she nodded, "it looks as if the land dries up and only just a bit of vegetation survives as it descends into a desert." She never ventured close enough to truly step into it, but when the plains ground started to feel rough.. She knew she was close to it. The heat was intense, it almost seemed the clouds were never around when she went to the east, and remained from going further. Although she did know there was some individuals who claimed to it's sands..

She prefers the tundra, in any day. Fur can get away from the cold, but one can never run from the heat.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
07-17-2022, 12:54 AM
“I do not think I would have the bravery or even the stupidity or arrogance to think I'd survive it.” Sindri believed she was relatively good at many things, excellent in some, but thinking she would survive such a heat, Sindri was not too prideful to believe she could conquer it.

“I wonder if wolves live there and how different they might look. What prey lives there I have never seen, let alone hunted.” She is curious, but, with a shrug, it was clear she was bot curious enough to risk her own wellbeing.

“I'll stick to hunting in the north. I was on a search for a quick snack, actually...” A pause, tilting her head to the other, “Care to join and split the kill?”
the staff team luvs u

07-17-2022, 07:04 PM
"There is a man I met who lived there, his name is Satan," she grimaced lightly at the name, "he is albino. He requires to cover himself in mud to feel well, but for some reason lives in the dryest place this realm has.. It seems to draw wolves, just as the tundra does." There are wolves who cannot stand the cold, for their fur is thin or it's a simple distaste. Otherwise some could not survive in the desert, but many take to it's regions and live so. It was a true wonder, and now that she said it, Uriel cannot understand rationally why he chose the desert.

As she was pondering that, "Oh uhm.. I don't eat meat." Did the golden dame confessed as her ears trinkled down lightly and looked at the other in a slight apologetic look.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
07-22-2022, 02:51 AM
A wolf. An albino wolf, by the name of Satan no less, having to cover himself with mud in order to try to shield himself from the sun in order to keep from feeling ill. It sounded not only crazy, but a little masochistic and stupid on his own part, granted there was much cooler places in the north and even perhaps living in the cover of the forest would do him better good.

Sindri's eyes are wide, a brow risen, clearly having been thrown off. “How very strange...” She murmurs, for its clear she is lost for words.

Then, it got stranger for her. This one did not eat meat? Sindri wondered if instead of hunting red meat animals, she fished, dug out crusteons or even ate bugs, but this was all meat just the same too. Uriel looked thin, but not overly so should she just be eating berries... What did she eat in the winter?

“Oh...” She first said, her head tilting. “What all do you eat then?” Rude or not, she couldn't help but ask.
the staff team luvs u

07-26-2022, 02:33 AM
"I tend to eat berries and fish." Uriel said ; although in truth this was a rather new diet. She had yet to witness the full extent of what will happen once winter is here ; and a newfound challenge that will occur. The rivers freezing over, berries being rare to get — a struggle would occur that she didn't think about too often due to the fear that it will bring.

"I met many that speak.. And no longer feels comfortable hunting something that can speak to me." If she attempted to hunt a horse, Uriel could only imagine, and even hear the desperate cries of others like @Strawberry. The very thought irked and caused a slight cease of her brows, feeling discomfort on even thinking of so.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
08-11-2022, 09:09 PM
It was still odd to Sindri, honestly. It made sense the Uriel would not want to hunt a deer or horse, if she was also friends with one. Sindri did not think it was impossible for them to speak the common tongue, for Sindri had already known of ravens, tiger's, bears and walrus which all did.

What if the fish started talking to her? What if she was unable to find enough to eat with frozen waters and spawning seasons long gone?

Sindri wasn't about to die just because a deer or rabbit had spoken to her once... but maybe Uriel was willing to do so for her beliefs. Sindri had her own beliefs too and would not be shaken from them either.

“I don't know how much water is in your plains but,” She thought, “If the rivers run dry there is plenty of fishing along the coast. There are crusteans too... and walrus.” A smirk. “If you have never hunted these, I'd be willing to teach if the time arises.” She offered the woman.

Though Uriel had not helped Northfall directly with that little problem with the walrus, she had helped and ally and @Olive being a friend to Ragnar. This would extend through Sindri and Uriel.
the staff team luvs u

08-15-2022, 03:03 AM
"Surprisingly so, it is as plentiful as a river. Stretches mile to the eye." Because of so she managed to get ample amount of food ; but hunting took far more time then desired. It was a struggle ; her frame was far more slender then previously entailed and dare to say some would think she was not eating right. Though healthy — only mildly weakened then of someone of prime strength. But she was not a fighter, a fast runner ; it was not much of a worry.. At least, she tries not to think about it.

"Perhaps one day I will take your offer," and Uriel look at the sun, just setting where it almost disappeared into the horizon, "but I should return before it is completely midnight. It was a pleasure meeting you, Sindri," and she meant with a full honesty.

the staff team luvs u
09-01-2022, 09:14 PM
Sindri did not believe this one would survive in the north. She would freeze to death, with lack of meat on her bones! Uriel did not have to, however, as her homes with in the wide open plains she so had mentioned. Still, should she come Sindri's way, a feast from the sea would be in order.

“Until then.” She would speak with a smile and waving of her peachy plum. She would watch the woman go for a moment before moving on herself, still out for that midnight snack.
the staff team luvs u

scroll to top