Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
To Take Whats Ours

Morning Sunny/Clear
AW
Formation
04-14-2022, 03:25 AM
The man moved out of the cave, narrowing his eyes at the bright light that cast from the sky. It was way to damn bright out there to go out without any protection. So, he moved back inside, walking over to his newest carcass that he caught yesterday. Moving the body itself, he began rolling into the blood and sticky sand, getting it all stuck and caught into his fur. Perfect.

Now that his body was covered in blood, he would move to head back outside, this time having some protection against his skin. It seemed like a lot to do but he didn't mind. It would have been very simple for him to make his pack somewhere else, with more shade or trees. But, he didn't want to. He was used to the desert area, a long lost memory from his old life. 

Lifting his head up, the man would howl out his claim to the land, moving to mark his scent across the land. This was his and regardless of who or what tried to stop him. He would fight and claim and do whatever he needed to in order to keep his claim here.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 594e2082-689d-11ed-b829-057c57b7de88.gif]
Content Warning
04-20-2022, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2022, 04:53 PM by Rei. Edited 1 time in total.)
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Stillborn Pups

he arrives to the world in silence. 

the sight of him, swathed in pure white and pale pinks, quiets all in attendance. mother quells her incessant licking of the sibling before him - a girl, and stillborn like the rest. his appearance has confirmed their deepest suspicions, filling mother and father and healer with sickening dread. 

in their world, where gods rule all and superstitions run rampant, the albino babe's birth signals a curse. she draws in a harried breath, her mate beside her swearing forbidden oaths. akihiko rises from his place, stalking past the struck-dumb shaman, ignoring saeko's pleading cry, and right out into the blistering cold. she lies there, surrounded by the breathless bodies of her children, and weeps. 

then - a sound breaks through the silence, like that of a ringing bell. her drooped head raises, and she casts molten halcyon gaze to the omen child. he alone takes a breath, tiny, delicate frame writhing in displeasure. he alone lives. 

perhaps another mother might see this cursed babe as the root of her problems, the cause of the deaths of those who had lain in her womb; but saeko finds that she is only relieved that at least one of her pups is alive. she pulls him close to her belly, where he latches on tight and suckles. she looks upon his dainty paws, not even a quarter size of her own; his little head, with eyes and ears sealed shut, the gossamer curve of his skull. he is so small, so helpless, and so utterly hers

in her awe-struck state, she is deaf to the healer's inquiries, which suits her just fine, as she would likely throw a fit at his insensitive suggestion to take the babe and abandon it in the cold to die, as most dams did with their... peculiar pups. no, she would not, could not, do such a thing; the bright blossom of love already bloomed in her chest, burying roots into her heart, and she knew, she knew, that they could not be simply ripped up. 

after a while, the shaman leaves, and she is left to cuddle her son close. 

this is all he remembers, when he awakens:

brilliant, blinding, blistering pain. he burns with the heat of a thousand suns, his insides lit up with agony. 

then comes a freezing cold, a chill that brings him into sweet relief. he breathes, and it is like coming home. 

a voice disturbs his revelry, something soft and pure of tone, like the ringing of a saccharine bell. he breathes - 

the scorching heat returns, this time different, drier. a cough shakes him to his bones, and he finds that he is slumped against a hot, sandy surface, which is firm beneath the skin of his cheek. red eyes, the exact shade of freshly spilled blood, crack open, then immediately slam shut against the piercing rays of the sun. he whines, a high, pained sound, and rolls over onto his side. even that proves to be too much, and the resulting flare of discomfort has him crying out, an almost howling sound rising to the wind. 

after a minute or two, the sound peters off, and he lays still, panting. saline tears leak from the corners of his eyes, his throat vibrating with weak whimpers every few minutes. he falls into unconsciousness like that, alone, afraid, and hurting. wondering, briefly, before the darkness overtakes him, if this will be how he dies. 

note: debut post with young rei, i hope this is ok! he's a little past 8 weeks currently, and will only have vague flashbacks to his past life. right now he is dehydrated and in pain from falling into the world of canis.

the staff team luvs u
04-20-2022, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2022, 05:04 PM by Marvel. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: edited to include Rei's presense; didn't see his post til after I had already posted, derp )
^^
edited to include Rei's presense; didn't see his post til after I had already posted, derp

The smell of blood - canine or not - was almost arousing to Marvel. He was in the area, and thankfully not an albino, so he could take the heat without the bloodscreen that Satan, and now the infact (assuming it would not become a meal for Marvel.. ) would need to do.

To Marvel, it seemed like a lot of work, though he didn’t recall his previous caretaker doing any of that. Satan’s call came, of course, though Marvel really wasn’t sure why he was stating his claim, as if he was wanting someone to challenge him?

Seeing him from a distance, Marvel couldn’t help but to lick his lips with a soft chuckle. Quickly, the Bacchus boy approached - stopping midstride at the sounds of another cry? Finding the source, Marvel looms over the infact with the lick of his lips.

“My my, don’t you just look delicious..
^^
the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-20-2022, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2022, 02:14 AM by Satan. Edited 1 time in total.)
The man was almost begging someone to challenge his claim, wanting a deadly fight to display his strength, however that certainly wasn't what showed up. Not long after his call, the sound of crying could be heard. What.... what was that? He already had taken in a few children and now the sound of another was clear? This was getting ridiculous. However, he would make his way towards the sound, ears pushed forward as he searched. It was a child, this was getting absolutely stupid, was Warcrest becoming a fucking nursery?

However, it seemed like Marvel had already found the child and much like Satan had expected, was ready to eat him. "You can eat him if he turns out to be a problem. However, for now, you'll deal with him."  Lifting his head, he would call out for @Nyra, knowing that she would just love him for this, wouldn't she. Turning back to the cannibalistic child, he would shake his head, mostly to himself. What the fuck was this turning into? At least when they were older, this would be much better. For now though, it was just tedious. 

"Marvel, I've been meaning to ask you, though I understand clearly that you don't like me, not that I care either way, where do you want to be within this group. Higher ranks mean more responsibilities, but that's up to you." He had some positions in mind for the older child as he grew, but would wait to see what he thought about it first.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-22-2022, 02:11 AM
Nyra heard the call, and with an exasperated sigh, she trotted off to meet the tyrant and deal with whatever his fucking problem was. 

Arriving with a low bark, the Warmaiden leveled Satan with a razor-sharp glare and exhaled sharply before she strode forward firmly and gripped the unconscious(?) whelp by the nape before turning and beginning to haul the child back to the Eye.
She wasn't going to ask questions or bitch about it. 
She'd just deal and keep making the effort to ascend the ranks as much as possible. If she had to live in this hellhole, she'd damn sure make the most of it.
the staff team luvs u
This is my art, and it is dangerous 
04-23-2022, 12:08 AM

he awakens abruptly.

strangers stand around him – no, they tower over him, prompting a terrified whimper to leave his lips. rei cowers against the burning sand, fear coursing through his veins like hot poison, paralyzing him in place. the poor pup shivers and shakes, staring up, up, up at the three looming wolves with wide red eyes.

one can spy the rapid rise and fall of ribs beneath skin as he breathes. they speak, but he can hardly understand the sounds – until the white wolf before him says something about eating him, and there’s no way to misinterpret those particular words. a harsh, heaving sob tremors throughout a thin frame, and with a sharp, sudden burst of strength, he rolls onto his back, showing the vulnerable skin of his belly and tucking his small tail between hind legs.

rei’s head falls back, stretching his neck until he’s sure the strangers can see the strain of jugular and veins beneath the delicate skin of his throat. pleading whines drip from his maw like honey, slow and sweet. instinct demands he act submissive, act cute, so that maybe the predators will decide to spare him. his young, inexperienced mind can’t comprehend much, but he knows now, deep in his gut, that one wrong move could make him somebody else’s lunch.

the other white wolf, of similar height to the first, but with vastly different eyes, moves forward, and sweet little rei hunches further into himself, his quiet sniveling growing quickly in volume. he yelps as he's turned over, the nape of his neck being grasped between sharp teeth; this, he thinks, is when he will actually perish, surely. but the grip doesn't tighten further, fangs don't dig deep into his skin and rip through fine bones - instead, he is lifted up and into the air. 

he falls limp immediately, instinctually. rei makes no other noise as he is carried away, quite sure that he's being taken to his (second?) death. 

note: hope this post is ok - sorry for the wait!

the staff team luvs u
04-23-2022, 12:19 AM
^^Warcrest was totally becoming a nursery - which was fine, more for Marvel to eat. Seriously, would they notice if he ate one?? Satan, however, was always there, ruining his plans. “Oh, I’ll deal with it alright.. ” Marvel turned to look Satan in the eyes, licking his lips nice and slow so that he got the idea.

The kid whimpered and did what kids do, making Marvel’s stomach growl even more. He eyed Satan. Then the kid. Then Satan.

And then, Satan actually addressed him and wanted to know his actual thoughts? “When you recruited me, I told you that I would be your apprentice, or did you want to make one of these newborns your apprentice instead?” Marvel would not comment on the ‘not liking’ part - Marvel wasn’t sure if he liked him or not, but he definitely didn’t respect him, at least not yet.

Then the caretaker came, scooping up the meal, and taking him away. Marvel sighed in defeat, watching her leave with a look of longing.

“No one is going to listen to me; I’m a kid to you and everyone else,” and if that wasn’t the truth, then he wouldn’t have joined at all, and instead would have made his own empire. “So while a high rank might be nice, it will do me no good. Besides, you said I could do whatever the fuck I wanted - why do I even need a rank, if that’s the truth? The real question here is: what do you want from me, in this pack? I'm sure you've got ideas. So let's hear 'em.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-25-2022, 02:13 AM
The man watched as Nyra took the kid away, shrugging slightly as they went. He was washing his hands of it and if the child died, that wasn't his fault. Still, his attention would move to Marvel, watching him for a moment as he spoke. Apprentice huh? Satan was honestly shocked that he still cared about that. "I deal with strength and power, the only think I can teach you is how to fight." He flicked his tail slightly before speaking. "Do you have the want to be the heir of this land? Regardless of status or rank, you are apart of this pack until you don't want to be any longer. For now, I want you to learn under me, grow strong even though you're young. I care little of what you do or if you take this offer, but know that much like everyone else, I will treat you harsher than the others, I have high hopes for you." With that, he would fall silent again, waiting to see what the boy would say.

the staff team luvs u
04-26-2022, 11:30 PM
^^If the children were to die, it would be on Marvel’s paws, and he would take great pride in admitting such faults. He watched the babe being taken away with a defeated sigh and shake of his head. A missed opportunity for a good meal.

An ear flickered as Satan began to speak, posing a question that Marvel didn’t..really have an answer to. Did he want to be the heir of this land? Was it truly that he cared about the land, verus making a name for himself? “I am young, and therefore you can mold me to be whatever you seek and desire for this land.”

Marvel let his words sink in before he spoke again. “One of two things is going to happen. Either I will overthrow you and turn Warcrest into the nation I wish to create, or I will bid my time until I see that I am fit to rule, by which time, I will be of Warcrest no longer. So either you can mold me to become your greatest ally or your biggest threat. The choice is yours.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-27-2022, 12:29 AM
The man listened to the boy, cocking his head to the side slightly. A quick chuckle would escape his chest as he shrugged. "I could care little if you try to over throw me. If you are able to, then you're more than welcome to try it. However, if you attempt to kill me, I want you to know that I will do the same regardless of your age." He may have saved a few children, but he would kill Marvel if he attempted anything. 

"If you choose to leave and make your own pack, you are more then welcome to. Just know that unless we are allied, you will be my greatest rival. I will gladly make you strong enough to be of worry to me." He would turn to leave, having many things he needed to do. Should Marvel continue to talk to him though, he would stay and listen.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top