Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Dreaming Takes You Places

Late Evening Sunny/Clear 65° F
AW
Discovery
04-13-2022, 04:57 PM
The sun was beginning to set as the cream-colored wolf waded back to shore after a semi-successful time of fishing. He had two large fish, big enough to fill him. 

He still had no idea where he was, for he had arrived here - at what he assumed to be an island - around mid-afternoon. His stomach rumbled, reminding him of the hunger that caused him to go fishing. He padded to the grassy area farther inland, then settled down to eat. 

Flashes appeared, surging forward again. Flashes where he "died", then appeared here. Flashes of a bloody battle that he almost won, but got cowardly attacked from behind. 

Dream shook his head, trying to clear his head of these flashes. He then heard the splashing of water, then the crunch of sand under paws. He remained calm though, not turning and not doing anything but finishing his meal. Dream paused after a moment to speak. 

"What brings you here, friend?"
the staff team luvs u
♚ Dream ♚
Discovery
Ecologist
04-13-2022, 05:41 PM
She had yet to see the sky and all it's making, for what was happening around overall was far too much. The removal of a mountain and the appearance of a forest like any other — something was happening, and she couldn't say. Even the dark clouds that loomed in the distant were now gone like the wind, without a torrent of rain and fire to follow. The sky once brought horror and not it brought but a simple light, and Vendrussel didn't understand what that meant. She feared, if a greater storm was coming.

Crossing her paws away she came back to the isle, where the night was just touching and the waves were carrying their blue bloom. It wasn't the sea that glowed, but something within the sea she so noted from a previous time. When her paws lifted, it was like a scattering of small unknown individuals, within her pawpads. The liquid dripped and was left with.. Whatever it was ; no name came to mind, but at the very least, the beauty was worthwhile.

But she wasn't alone, "sight-seeing," and he smelled of no pack.

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2022, 06:05 PM
So the newcomer is a fellow wolf? He stood up, and then turning around, took in the appearance of the newcomer. "You're sightseeing? That must be nice, traveling around and not needing to worry about anything...

Dream trailed off, looking out at the waves filled with light. But the longer he stared, the more he felt the memories creeping back to seize him. He shook his head, looking back at the other wolf. 

"Do you happen to know where we are?" He asked, but then remembered his manners. "Oh! I'm sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. My name's Dream."
the staff team luvs u
♚ Dream ♚
Discovery
Ecologist
04-15-2022, 03:02 AM
"Sometimes it's best not to assume about others, stranger." Vendrussel smiled lightly, even though her words seemed cold she did not emit a hostility. She found it awfully bold to assume someone was without worries if they were simply sight-seeing, as like many, she had her woes. But there was times to simply be and see around — she would be back at the ford before the sun would rise, and surely would stay for a few days more. It was her home after all, that was being threatened by others ; and she wasn't sure when that hostility will cease. She knew he didn't mean any harm.. Simply felt he was naive. 

"You are at the Cosmic Isle," her paw moved and waved before the seas itself. Where it glowed and swam about within each wave that passed by. Sometimes sinking into the sand altogether, that was smooth compared to the more course nature of others may be, "it's quite mysterious, isn't it?" Whether referring to the land or the biology that was within the ocean itself would remain up to the wolf who answered. She wondered what he would think of such lights, and if he thought it was the ocean itself, or something more.. It moved within her paws when she touched it, it felt like something, and just the ocean itself. But she didn't know.

"I am Vendrussel," she so greeted with the slightest tip of her head.

the staff team luvs u
04-17-2022, 08:28 PM
Sorry for taking so long! TwT""

"You're right, it's not the best to assume things." He spoke with a slight bitterness, remembering his cruel brother who always assumed things and started fights. 

The Cosmic Isle, huh? Well, sure does fit the place. 

"Pleased to be of acquaintance, Vendrussel. Mind joining me?" He waved towards the second fish.
the staff team luvs u
♚ Dream ♚
Discovery
04-18-2022, 02:01 AM
The other was quick to accept his faulty, and she found that admirable. Vendrussel was someone who was rather reluctant to do, as she often was resolved within her case. Always moving forward ; an assurance to her actions itself until questioned itself. Couldn't be denied she did think twice to her murderous deeds, and yet knew within she was in the right — but now confronted and down a member, that resolve was shaken. Momentarily she looked away, and gazed to the blue glow as her paw glided against it.

"To hunt?" she asked, a gaze to the fish if he was indicating a invite to dinner itself, or a hunt, before moving her eyes back to him.

the staff team luvs u
04-18-2022, 04:33 PM
"To eat. The fish I started eating seems like it is too large to eat both, and I would never eat in front of others that I don't know have eaten." He waved to the half-eaten fish, which  was big.

"So why don't you come join me? These fish are delicious, too.

He looked out towards the waters, watching the waves rock back and forth. He noted the lights in the ocean but knew they weren't coming from the ocean itself. Rather, coming from something else. It fascinated him, the lights in the ocean, and the ocean itself. 

Dream then looked back to Vendrussel, waiting for her response.
the staff team luvs u
♚ Dream ♚
04-21-2022, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2022, 07:29 PM by Vendrussel.)
Though she knew of individuals who would poison food supplies to trample on the others — she couldn't imagine a stranger who seemed so faint in heart would utter do so. She was a bit on edge, with fights happening around the borders and though suspicions are within her heart, she only hummed lightly without revealing those thoughts, and nodded, "Sure." 

She approached closer, looking at the fresh water one. They couldn't compare to those of the sea water — yet their taste was perhaps just the slightest bit better then those caught at sea. There was without salt, fresh in the making as she bent down and took a bite of the one he pointed her too.

"So," she lifted her head, "where did you come from?"

the staff team luvs u
04-21-2022, 09:03 PM
She wanted to know about his past, and his life before this? Dream remembered his life before this clearly. A little  too clearly. 

"My past life," he began, memories flashing in his mind, "was wonderful. That is, just about the time before I came here.

Memories of being a strategic warrior and part-time healer surged up, strangling him in their might. Making him grieve over the lost ones, and of a lost life. 

"Before I came here, I had been in a bloody battle that I almost won. Then I got cowardly attacked from behind. By who, I do not know. Only that they were a coward. I believed that I had died, but then... I woke up. Here. Much to my surprise, yet I did. Before that, though, I was a part of the Goldivor Pack, a pack of dragon-wolves. Well, at least to me, we were. From what I had heard of the Dragons we worshipped, I thought we were like them. Valiant. Intelligent."
the staff team luvs u
♚ Dream ♚
Visionary
04-24-2022, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2022, 04:22 PM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
There were many wolves within this land that held similar values, as well as culture itself. She had illusioned herself on thinking that it was too true in that making, and mistakes were brought through. Her own land was similar, of dragons and warriors of the liking where the ice and sea would forge their very beings. Too cold-hearted that even she, with little memories of the wolves — knew that to be true. Yet her origin still remained to them, taking that icy-heart with her to this land.

New pathways slowly were forming in the future, and herself, growing wiser by the arcs.

"Perhaps the Heavens have blessed your valiance," she said with a smile, pushing the fish away if he desired more. She felt her bully relatively full and didn't want to over-indulge for the journey back. Vendrussel didn't believe in the whole few minutes before diving in, but didn't want to fight the tightness within her stomach during the dive back home.

"My own home is similar," she so confessed, "we believed that the Dragons had been rejected by the earth and descended to the lands, choosing wolves as their new form. Blending, with us, and giving us their guidance."

the staff team luvs u
04-25-2022, 12:33 PM
"Yes, perhaps they have." He mused about this; perhaps the dragons deemed him worthy of another life. Perhaps they deemed that he was a true dragon and gave him another chance. 

"Really? Never knew that there were more like my pack out there. Perhaps it was our fate to meet, because I have not seen another wolf besides you." He was surprised there were more like him and his old pack, and it was evident in the way he spoke. 

Dream wanted to see this pack of Vendrussel's; he wanted to see this for himself and to meet those like him. "Would I, by any chance, be able to come with you to see your pack, and perhaps join it? I would love to meet a pack like my old one."
the staff team luvs u
♚ Dream ♚
Visionary
04-25-2022, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2022, 04:33 PM by Vendrussel. Edited 2 times in total.)

"You'd be surprise. There are few out there with similar ways." Mind drifted toward the one within her own pack, as well as @"The Whisperer. Though their kind wasn't dedicated to dragons in particular, it could not be forgotten the core concept of her own kind was 'no whole without two,' a yin and yang to within that brought servitude and comfort to others — where weakness was lessened. She'd hope eventually, she would find someone as well. A true partner, to cover what she lacked in. The Ancients though already given her a blessing, to be chosen as a leader itself — but was she chosen for reincarnation as well?

Momentarily surprised till she grinned lightly, not expecting a recruit within the randoms of an isle itself, "everyone is welcome to join, but a trial is to be given before anyone is to join the ford," and only specific circumstances allowed others to become a dragon without the dive. There was one at the moment, but anyone else for the meanwhile was not given such properties.

"If you truly wish so, follow me." With so, Vendrussel rose to her paws and started to make her way to the brim's beaches. She wouldn't let anyone, have it the easy way for the dive's rock.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top