Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
We're going on an adventure!

AW
World Event
Adventurer
04-12-2022, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2022, 10:00 PM by Vedetta. Edited 2 times in total.)
The girl had been wondering through the mountains, exploring the area as her young, slightly frantic mind moved quickly from one thing to another. She, for the most part, stayed with @Caiatl, her mama, and @Taikon, her papa. After all, she didn't want to risk her new family. As they were exploring, or at least watching as Vedetta explored, the young girl found something very interesting. She didn't know what it was, but it was pretty and she wanted to touch it! "Hey, mama, papa, look at what I fou..." She was cut off as she was teleported to an unknown area, not knowing that she had just stepped through a portal.

This... this was not the mountains. The grass was gone and this weird rough... thing was under her now. It looked like someone had rolled up small balls of grass that was condensed and recolored. She clearly didn't understand what sand was. But right now, she had more issues, like where were her parents. "Mama? Papa?" She called out, her eyes wide with curiosity and fear. Did she get teleported to a new land again? Would she have to go through the effort to find another new family?

Vedetta went through the portal in Rippling Heights (Mountains) and came out in Altarcama

the staff team luvs u
Vedetta has autism and thus doesn't understand normal social cues and will likely always have the mind of a child regardless of age.

@Taikon is Vedetta's caregiver and allowed in all of Vedetta's threads, private included
Adventurer
04-22-2022, 04:29 AM
 The exploration of Rippling Height was not the kind that Taikon thought of as leisure. He had been searching hard for for a place of shelter just beyond the reach of the hills among the bordering forests. These lands, to his knowledge, were unclaimed by any wolf or other fell beast. They would need a place for Caiatl to roost, but that was easy enough. She had the advantage of flight, and could roam as far as she wished, being their eyes and guide so long as she didn't make decisions. After all, she had wanted to lead the girl to the Nightwalkers, and Taikon suspected that they were not dissimilar from the tales of Nightwalkers long past in his former life.
 The journey had missed the storm in the evening, but in its wake, something foul and mysterious had been left behind.
 Taikon did not notice that Vedetta was missing for nearly ten full minutes; being a young coyote, she was want to reckless abandon and play while he busied himself with his task, searching for alcoves and hidey holes, wandering into and out of the wood.
 But when her calls became silent, the blood left his face and a terrible pit grew in his gut. “Vedetta?”
 There was no answer.
 The next several minutes, Taikon frantically searched where Vedetta had last called to them. The hills were many and strewn about in wild arrays. He searched behind, calling her name and smelling for her scent. He ran to the top of a hill, breathing heavily, and finally found what he was looking for but had not realized: a disturbance in the land.
 Where he might normally have been cautious of anything new, he knew the girl well enough that she had ran straight at the blip in spacetime. So, the cream-coated wolf followed right after her.

The landing was not gentle. Taikon was thrown from a sinkhole onto a sharp rock. The wind was chill and brutally cold, yet the sun bore high and strong above them. He made a groaning sound as he rolled up to his feet, shaking his head.
 Searching back and forth, he spotted her, and rushed to Vedetta's side.
 “You can't just... touch things like that.” He sighed, looking all about them, confused. This was the first thing that had happened in this strange new world of death that he did not understand. First he'd woken in an ice cavern. Now, he had walked through a burrow and was trapped in an endless wasteland of red stone.
 “This...” He paused, putting his ears sideways. “This is not good.”

the staff team luvs u
04-24-2022, 02:31 PM
Renegade made a wrong turn no doubt about that as the sea of grass became a blanket of sand and now into this hard cold red pillars of rock and earth. But he also wanted to explore and to really see how big these plains was, but it seemed the farther east you went it turned into this totally unfriendly and deserted desert. He would travel most of this day and if it was still very much like what was around him he would backtrack and so head right back and so get back to at least friendlier surrounds that could support him as there didn't seem like a lot of feed or water was available to support such a large beast as himself. Also there didn't seem a whole lot of activity or numbers of any type of animals. 

This was not good he could tell this place was a death trap, and so he was going to turn around and head right back. He now knew that the far east was a no go zone and would make sure his mares that he had now and future ones would also know, as soon as you start seeing sand turn around and head back, period. He then heard voices and they was close by, he decided to check it out and to see who it was but very cautiously as he didn't need to blunder head first into predators as they would probably turn violent and intent on making the large half draft paint horse a meal. When he finally came around a mound and there they was another pack of worthless flesh eaters and their scent was not any that Reny had run across before. He then snorted loudly and shook his head side to side, as he wasn't about to show any weakness the two might take advantage of. He then spoke more towards the larger and older male.

" I take it you'er training your little one there hunting? Well that's good as long as you don't see me as a five course meal. As for myself I am heading off towards the west and back to my grass range, and home."

He was now going to wait for a response and if they didn't he would be on his way and hopefully be back in the plains in a day, as he needed to eat and maybe drink as it had been two days since he last had anything and that wasn't good for a horse.
the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-27-2022, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2022, 10:01 PM by Vedetta. Edited 1 time in total.)
The moment papa landed next to her, albeit not very gracefully, she instantly became happy, all of her fears now gone. Her tail started wagging and she ran to him, cuddling up against him with a smile. However, as he chastised her, she pinned her ears to the side, lowering her head slightly. "I'm sorry papa. I didn't know what it was." She didn't like making people made, especially papa. As he spoke about it not being good, she cocked her head to the side, not really sure why it wasn't.

However, before she could ask him more questions, a weird creature walked towards them. Instantly, the child would bound towards the oversized deer, trying to sniff at his legs. "Oh! You're a strange looking deer! I didn't know deer got this big!" She wagged her tail and would begin bounding around his legs, unaware of the danger that could come from that.

the staff team luvs u
Vedetta has autism and thus doesn't understand normal social cues and will likely always have the mind of a child regardless of age.

@Taikon is Vedetta's caregiver and allowed in all of Vedetta's threads, private included
Ecologist
05-08-2022, 07:29 PM
Sorry y'all, I completely missed this

Though Vedetta didn't seem all that concerned, Taikon felt afraid. The landscape was empty, and chill. He looked at the ground and saw little except sharp rock. He looked out into the expanse, and saw jutting formations and unfamiliar terrain. What beasts roamed such a place? It was inhospitable and no place for their strange little family.
 The beast that he saw coming close to them was not anything that Taikon was familiar with. In his homeland, there had been many creatures of all shapes and sizes. The Faruka empire had long prided itself on the collection of knowledge. Among that knowledge, he had been trained on the details of many kinds of animals. This one was strange, having colouration that reminded him of a dog, or perhaps a cow.
 The closer it came, the larger it loomed. Instinctively Taikon stepped in front of Vedetta and stiffened, but the moment the hooved beast came close, she immediately zoomed about its limbs, much to his absolute terror.
 “The west?” Taikon looked from whence the beast had come, wondering if that was the way home. Vedetta declared it was a large deer, but he knew better than that. Whatever it was, it was no deer. “We're not hunting; she found a burrow close to the mountains and the next thing we knew, we were... here. Wherever 'here' is,” Taikon explained, looking about him and watching the little coyote in worried frustration.

the staff team luvs u
05-09-2022, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2022, 09:06 PM by Renegade. Edited 1 time in total.)
The first thing the tobiano chestnut seen was the two wolves at least he was thinking the smaller one was the older ones pup. The next the little snot came barreling over and started to go between his legs. Reny cut one way then the other trying his best not to kick, stomp, or flatten the little ball of energy that was trying to weave her way between his tall legs as if they was trees. The bad thing was those trees was supporting most of his bulk and weight that was his body, neck, and head. Then when she said deer, if Renegade had eyebrows he would of arched one in amazement. But he had to correct her and so spoke softly to her.

" Deer? Deer, I am no deer as do you see any antlers on my head. I am known as a horse or equine or the thunder on the plains ground as we gallop in our herds. We are far superior to those flash the white of their tails and bound away in fright at the mear snap of the nearest twig."

Reny then let out a laugh and shook his head as he really couldn't get mad at how cute she really looked even though in a few years she would almost be as big as the male would be now. He then just spat out in frustration.

" Please stop! As I am afraid if I fall on you I could end up hurting you severely and I don't think your sire would appreciate that one bit."

He then cocked his right ear towards the male and so listen to what he had to say about some burrow and then popping up here out of thin air. Renegade wasn't really surprised as it seemed that was exactly what happen to him when he woke up and found himself here. He then settled down and relaxed as it didn't seem if this was an ambush that he would already be surrounded and attacked from all sides. He then looked at the wolf and then spoke in a concerned tone.

" Nothing surprises me as I sort of had the same thing happen to me where I was with my harem of four mares one moment and then when I fell asleep I woke up here, and they was gone. But not here, but in the plains off to the west. I heard about this desert and so decided that there has to be an end to it and not go on forever like some think, I was trying to see if there was a short cut here and sadly there is none. But looking around here there is not really a lot that could support a large animal like myself. I'll offer to allow you to tag along until we get back to the plains, and so sorry I can't give you the name of this place as I do not know it."

Now he waited to see what both would do or say if they wanted to remain here then he would just shrug his shoulders and move on with not a care in the world. But he was sort of starting to get a very uncomfortable feeling as most of the wolves around here seemed more civil and not as aggressive as the ones from his old home. Was this place sort of doing that making these wolves be less hostile and so calm. It was a feeling that he wanted to know the answer to and yet he knew no one that he had met had that answer for him.
the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
05-22-2022, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2022, 10:01 PM by Vedetta. Edited 1 time in total.)
She didn't know what he was, but apparently calling him a deer was an insult of some sort. As the man started yelling at her and freaking out when she was running through his legs, she would back away, running back to papa to hide behind him. It wasn't that she was scared, but she just thought the notdeer was mad at her. 

Looking over at papa, she would cock her head to the side slightly, her voice curious. "Where are we papa? It's really hot here. Are we stuck here?" She sat herself down in the sand, panting slightly as she did so. This was very much different from the cooler area that they had come from. 

Looking up at notdeer, she would smile slightly at him. "This is a dessert?" She didn't know that she said the word wrong, but it also didn't seem like it bothered her either. "Will you be coming with us notdeer?"

the staff team luvs u

Ecologist
06-06-2022, 05:39 AM
 The beast, evidently rather non-plussed to the situation, explained what and who he was. He was called a "horse," and this was of immediate interest to Taikon. He had spent years of his life dedicated to learning about the different species that called his homeland their home. The creature spoke of superiority to deer, and from Taikon's view of him, this was obvious; the creature had great muscles, thick and full, and was heavier at least by twice over easily than the average white-tail. He looked larger, probably at least three or four times the weight of animals he had taken down on his own. There was no universe, not even this strange one where hills became desert, that Taikon would have been able to prey upon this animal without great assistance.
 The adoptive father learned more as the great creature spoke. He spoke of a harem. This told Taikon that like deer, these great beasts, "horse," were one male to many females. Like many species perhaps, they were not pair-bonded animals. They cared little for the cause of love, and they would never concern themselves with the throws of others beyond their species.
 Vedetta interrupted his thoughts, asking where they were. He did not know. And he did not know how to get back. “I don't know,” he answered. Smiling at her mis-pronunciation, he kindly, softly corrected her. “Des-ert,” he said, looking about them.
 Looking back to the offer of the great beast, the horse, he nodded and bowed lightly. “Apologies. I am Taikon. We would graciously ask you to guide us to these Plains that you know. My... daughter—” the noun gave him a strange shiver in him. He had hoped for a daughter once. He had seen those he had felt this way about die. Was he cursing her to speak of her like this? “She and I will follow you west.”
 He looked to her hopefully, knowing she would not understand the gravity.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top