Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Let Us Never Surrender

Afternoon Overcast
P
Vanderfell Woods
Shiroshika
Paladin
04-08-2022, 08:10 AM
With the retreat came a storm of its own. Vanderfell did well, even with small numbers, but they were not prepared to take the large of another pack's members. Caches would be depleted quickly and most were working through injuries. Ira dared not interrupt Quicksilver as he tended to those with more severe injuries, but even still there were more pressing matters on her mind. They had survived, but at what cost?

The price was well worth the outcome had they slain their mark, but now he was at large with a snake of a woman at his side. Reiko claimed they held allies even in Shiroshika, so what of other packs? Of course, they had done a number to the both of them as well, something that would surely buy them time, but a new storm would brew in the silence and there was no telling what laid in the wings of those they had made enemies of.

Caring little to wait any longer, the roan queen would seek out @Reiko to discuss their next steps.

the staff team luvs u
04-08-2022, 04:48 PM
Everything had happened so fast. The pain that flashed across her face, the bodies lying in the snow as white quickly swallowed them up unceremoniously. All the Empress could remember was flashes of white and red before hearing Ira calling a retreat. Her daughter wished to follow their targets while all Reiko could do was wrangle the princess back and away to a safer location for them to tend to the wounded.

It was a bitter-sweet ending to it all. Uncertainty was thick among them and swarmed the Empress' thoughts. She couldn't sleep, she couldn't eat - all she could think of was the results of their sacrifices. The lives lost in exchange for Kuhn to remain still on the loose. Was it all worth it? Had he and Valmúa at least learned their lesson that Shiroshika would no longer stand for their childish ways? Or had they only added fuel to the fire and a grave mistake was made?

The wounds on her face were still fresh, tended to by someone she couldn't remember. Blood no longer poured from the wounds and instead were left as an angry red mark lashed onto her ivory coat. No longer did she sport the appearance of a fragile fae - but instead of something much more. What that was she was uncertain... and even more so she was doubtful it was someone she could be proud of.

Staring out into the view @Quicksilver had shown her, the snow peaks of her home visible in the distance, Ira's voice cut through her thoughts. “Ira...” Her voice was hushed and shallow with sorrow, holding herself together by nothing but strings. Though stronger than she was a year ago, a different woman, it didn't make any of this feel easier. “My deepest condolences for your loss.” Even if Reiko too had lost a life, this was their fight... not Vanderfell's, and now Ira was left to mourn a life that was never in danger to begin with.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
Paladin
04-13-2022, 04:43 AM
Only once she climbed to higher peaks would she find the short stature of snow break the slate of grey that stretched out into the Stone Watch. It was clear what had captured the Empress' attention. They could see much from their peaks, including those of distant homes. Before she could speak Reiko would claim the silence while Ira approached to stand near the edge. Do not mourn for me. Life goes on. They had lost a guard, one stationed from the start. The one who had truly been her first start upon awaking, and yet she could not hold it in her to grieve.

It was not that she did not care, on the contrary, there was more to this life than the mortal plane, or so she believed. Orlaith was revered, brash as she may have been. Valhalla awaits with open gates. It was a warrior's death. One any sworn to guard would hope to receive, and one she was certain befit the warden. However, now was not the time to dwell on wistful thinking.

We must not linger on that which has passed. The future comes as do our consequences. Her point could only be emphasized more by the distant clouds and unsteady air. They had failed, but where they lost a battle was a war that could be won. This was your charge, I will not tell you what to do, but whatever comes next must come quickly. Have you a plan? Ira knew this was not what Reiko had wanted, nor did she have experience regarding outside conflict. Fortunately, Ira was never one to proceed without considering other possibilities, no matter how undesirable the outcome was.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-13-2022, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2022, 07:07 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
Due to IC events, this thread is being dated after Tiberius' visit

Wound up after Tiberius and she had their conversation, the Empress would try to keep her nerves under control when speaking to Vanderfell’s High Queen. At this point she even wondered if their voices were heard echoing through the mountains, the growls, the insults Tiberius had spat. It was embarrassing to say the least of such an event unfolding on another’s lands, but something that seemed once again unavoidable.

Nodding along to Ira’s calm explanation for her loss, there was little else to share on the matter than views and a brief expression of condolences. After all, as Ira ushered the conversation along, there was much more to discuss than the immediate aftermath of the ordeal. 

“Yes, and no.” She sighed. Feeling greatly unprepared and unsuited for it all. Why was being left at peace so hard for others to grasp? “Tiberius has unfortunately sided with Kuhn after all. I fear Tsukiishi may not be safe to return to.” It was their first home, their haven for a short while and they fought to keep it.

Yet Kuhn and his companion, along with the now traitor Tiberius would not let them be. “I hope even with Kuhn living, that he and Valmúa will no longer seek us out; but I believe if we are to avoid any more tragedies and heartache… that a new home is an order.” Which meant that if Haruki wished to rejoin them, he would once again not know of their location.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-13-2022, 10:54 PM
Well, yes and no was admittedly better than just no, but it still would not do given the circumstances. Reiko's words came with an annoyed snort as she found a place beside the Empress. She had thought she heard shouts in the distance, though ultimately she chalked it up to the wind and many new bodies her home now held. Worst though, she had been right about that man. He was only one more to opposing forces, but he knew more now than Valmua and Kuhn. Had they not stood in overwhelming numbers currently, she would be unhappy allowing him to leave. Fortunately, those two were severely wounded and alone, but that fact would not last forever.

Perhaps... Tsukiishi was not far, but it still put distance between them with the heart of their problems smack dab in the middle. You and yours are welcome to stay until a home suits your needs. Spring has brought life back to the run. Not that it was ever devoid, but winter would always be winter no matter how giving a place could be. That does not solve the larger picture, but I suppose I can overlook that issue until others are put to rest. Shiroshika living her permanently would never happen unless they wished to dissolve into Vanderfell, but as of now they were allies...she could make a temporary exception.

You will not be the only one to lose your home. Dead or alive, that beast does not live in the Everfrost. That much she would ensure even if it meant sending forces regularly to check the grounds much like she did with Ullarcraig. Pushing them out permanently gives us distance, and if they are smart, they will stay away. There was no reason to cross the world for a life. They were lucky to escape, but luck only lasts so long. Who of yours holds the skills to scout and defend? We have our chance to make claims now while those two are too weak to do anything but cower and hide.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-13-2022, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2022, 11:14 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
An annoyed grunt could easily be heard, something that shrunk the already smaller than Ira woman believing that the annoyance was directed at her. After all, she kept imposing on Vanderfell through the last year. It would be understandable for Ira to be vexed with it all continuing.

The invitation to stay near was appreciated. It still didn’t ease the feeling of being a burden on Vanderfell yet again, at least, they were not being pushed out before gathering their senses and deciding on a direction. Nodding softly as Ira spoke. “Thank you.” But no, it did not fix the larger issue at hand.

A new home was one thing, but to feel like they were never safe would go opposed to why they had organized the hunt in the first place. 

There was a sense of relief that Ira felt that Kuhn and Valmúa would also lose their home. That the Everfrost was now no longer theirs even if Kuhn had believed that to be his home still. It was only fair after all. After she had respected his boundaries of his claim and he did not for theirs. 

“We have a few who might be willing, Gyrfalcon, Sachiko, and Antares to name a few.” Certainly others who were less injured would be happy to go as well. “There are also some back in Tsukiishi who need to be informed of this turn of events.” Even if Kuhn and Valmúa were still at large, Reiko didn’t fear for the ones who remained behind. 

With those two injured, certainly they were still safe for the time being and would not be left behind unless they chose to find elsewhere to call home.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-14-2022, 01:12 AM
It seemed there was little left to say as the Empress thanked her. Truly she saw no need for it, not now. Had the tables been flipped she could only assume Reiko would do the same. For a moment they sat in silence, or perhaps it was thought for the other, as a short breeze ruffled their fur then left just as quick as it came. Reiko gave her a list of names and beyond that more of her people still remained at now lost peaks.

Word to Tsukiishi first then. It was important to gather their numbers in one place while time still allowed to do so freely. Perhaps those sent to the mountain can split on their return. A group will stray to the forest to scout, the rest will come bearing whatever they can carry. Likely not much, but any food, herbs, or pelts would surely help those from the Empire settle as they moved on to the steps after. If our enemies have allies then we must be sure to inform any who may fall in our aid. I know of one group to the south. My sights have been set on them as allies for some time now. I believe the feeling is mutual.

Moons have passed since she last saw @Hydra. Surely she was just as busy with young paws about, but hopefully well all the same. If Empyrean backed their stance she was sure no amount of stray allies the tiger had won would matter in a second battle. Loki fought with us, he may wish to rest. Nimueh and Ozai may be able to aid in any travels. Between the five they should be safe in their journey even once they split amongst who remains at your claim.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-14-2022, 01:43 AM
A hum and a nod was given in response to the declaration that word would be sent to Tsukiishi first to gather the stragglers. Thankful that although Ira and she had different ways of caring for their packs, there was still an understanding between the two women. They both seemed to seek for the best for their people.

As Ira spoke of another pack that she had hopes to ally with, a little bug nestled its way into her belly at the thought. For the Empress trust had been shattered, and to bring in a pack she knew nothing about was concerning. “If you trust them, I would like to meet them as well.” Needless to say she had learned to be cautious of relations with others through the past year.

Even if Ira trusted this group, it didn’t mean Reiko and the leaders would automatically get along as well. Or that their views would be similar. Still, she wouldn’t write it off entirely.

“I believe fresh feet to join any healthy Shiroshikans is wise. On the next journey to the Everfrost I would like to join however, there are things I would like to retrieve from Tsukiishi.” Personal belongings she did not wish to leave behind as well as herbs that could be of use that were prepared before they left for battle. It would be a shame if those went to waste.

And the pelts that @Gyrfalcon had prepared as well. She would make sure anything that could bring a little bit of their home with them to new lands would help ease the transition. She knew that to be the case for herself at least.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-14-2022, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2022, 02:11 AM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
Ira thought nothing of Reiko's request. It was reasonable to wish to know the allies of your allies, now more than ever. Hydra, unfortunately, was a busy woman, as were they these days. I have plans to send a messenger to Empyrean. Perhaps she would be willing to grace a visit to spare time. Well, spare time for them. The request would only be out of the way for Hydra, but there was much she wished to discuss with the Queen anyhow. A formal alliance had been more than suggested a few times now from either side, but never time to spare the details of one. Ira had hinted at her requirements long before though and it had not dissuaded the leading pair from bringing mention to something official afterward.

If it is my approval you seek, you have no need to ask. She may live on her claim, but she did not own the pale woman. So long as her actions did not bring consequences to her borders, Reiko was free to do as she pleased within reason. I will remain here as my husband intends to take his own leave. Unlike her face, Hiero was far more unknown across the region. Valmua and Kuhn did not know him so any seeking their heads should not lead to him while he scouted. If they were lucky, he may even be able to bring home a fresh face or two.

I suppose we should avoid addressing the next step until we retrieve the information we seek. What happens then could go a number of ways depending how close our enemies linger. And how many allies they may hold. No matter she saw no reason to hunt the man again unless he seeks his own death. If they were lucky, all would go their own ways and the three packs would simply need a watchful eye for those who deceive and steal. I will inform mine own of their mission. I will see to it that both are assigned to scouting the Everfrost after should many at Tsukiishi be weary. Ideally she'd like to send more than two into the woods until they were more informed, but two was better than one and both were built more so for speed than combat. If they must run then they could safely.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-15-2022, 12:50 AM
She’d nod along to Ira’s thoughts of the Empyrean queen coming for a visit when she can. It was understandable, leaders were busy no matter the pack they ran and so patience was a virtue in moments like these. At least now that they had some time to breathe there was no rush to meet anyone until they could do so freely.

“I seek less for approval and more to be notified should a new group be sent.” A slight correction. She didn’t want to come off as rude to the woman who had just stuck her own neck out for them, but Reiko did want to know whenever the next round would be sent out to her previous home.

After all, there was no way it would be safe to do so alone.

“I will do the same with mine. I will inform you of who they are as soon as I get confirmation that they are ready and willing.” Of course, should none be up for the task or not enough, Reiko would not be opposed to having her own trip back to their previous home and pick up the items in question now rather than wait for later.

There was just much to attend to here, matters to settle and individuals to speak to - as well as her own fatigue and worries to handle that it felt wiser to wait before she struck out on a scouting mission so soon.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-15-2022, 01:16 AM
Of course. She had no plans to send her own off alone at a time like this. Redundant perhaps to send such a large group off together, but fires were hot and targets had been painted upon many backs. Until she was sure just what range of space they had to work with, Ira would take no chances. I'll leave you to it then. Once both groups have been informed we shall send them off together. In the meantime, it may be wise to look from the peaks for a place you may wish to settle at until you find a more proper home or yours is deemed safe to return to. Rising to her paws, Ira would turn away from the cliffs to begin her set of work assuming there was little left to be said at this time.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top