Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I hope you hold the mirror up to show me what I chose,

AW
Hunter
04-08-2022, 02:52 AM
Carefully, did she prowl through the tall grass.. A gray eye in waiting and watching, for any signs of movement as her nose twitched, smelling what was around. Careful paws, light and easy as she made every step with precision in a slow race to what was needed. Though the plains didn't always provide ample coverage for herself, there was the slow embrace of higher grass and careful treading. Any movement that was provided, she would stop, pause and wait.. Even when minutes gone.

Eyes on the prize, a rabbit ahead and if she just crept.. Just a bit closer, she'd be close enough for the winning snap.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-08-2022, 06:10 PM
The man was moving south, across the plains and into the next section of these new lands. However, as he moved deeper into the plains, he caught a scent on the wind. At first he stood there and sniffed, gaining what information he could off of the scent before tracking it. He moved slowly and on guard. Though he knew it was a wolf, he didn't know what he was walking into. 

That all became clear though, as he spotted a female in the tall grass, seemingly hunting. So, he would wait a distance away, lowering himself into the grass as well, almost as if he were hunting her. For now at least, he would wait, allowing her to have a fair chance to catch her dinner before he would reveal himself.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 594e2082-689d-11ed-b829-057c57b7de88.gif]
Hunter
04-08-2022, 06:57 PM
She took a deep breath, but didn't exhale it out hard and did ever so lightly, before halting so. Uriel always played the patience game when it came to hunting, rather then the immediate tackle of so. She was fast, but a lot of the times her might could not compare to another — a weaker in that sense, and a surprise attack always helped greatly to gain a meal. Though.. Sometimes she felt guilty hunting, even when knew it was about simply living. She enjoyed eating berries, more then the stalking of others.

She could smell them so clearly and see so well the hare, as it munched upon the grass of the plains. She was still as any other, so low to the ground it almost seemed to be laying. She was just so close, and almost — Uriel pounced through. Her paws slamming to the ground but close enough where even the rabbit, who now saw her, couldn't move in time. A twitch of their nose, before the golden dame reached out with her fangs and held to, with a vicious cracking in the plains.

Swift, and painless she so hoped.. Sighing lightly, and yet to notice the other in the distance, watching her.

the staff team luvs u
04-08-2022, 07:45 PM
He watched her with amusement, his eyes catching every move she made. Oh how easy it would be to sneak up on her the same way she snuck up to the rabbit, snapping her neck with ease. However, he didn't have any plans to do that. He was trying to be.... nice. Though his pleasantries never really lasted long. 

Slowly he would sneak forward, trying to get close enough where he could lung forward and grab her should he choose to do so later. Speaking up once he was close enough if she didn't spot him before that, he would keep himself deep into the grass, if only to make a point. "When hunting, always check your surroundings, Sandstorm." He found himself humming softly at the name he gave her. That was what she reminded him of after all, the deep sands of the desert that moved with agility in a storm. 

"You don't know who is waiting in the grass to hunt you." He would then, and only then, raise himself to his full height, watching her with bright pink eyes. With the shading and protection of the long grass gone, he felt the familiar sting of the sun on his fragile skin, his albino eyes narrowed and cast down to keep them from burning. Though, to her it may look like he was hunching down to ready an attack.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-08-2022, 08:07 PM
It couldn't be denied there was some air between Uriel's paws and the ground itself, as she jumped from fright for a moment. Like a mouse that she acted like, there was a calling to flee as someone approached without her noticing. She was going to indulge herself in the luxury of the rabbit she caught, feeling proud but.. Hesitant, really. Was there some God she should pray for the rabbits itself, and would always question.. Does she even believe in a God?

Thoughts were disrupted by a man she did not see coming. Even a squeak, came out of her mouth, as he was prowling around before pushing himself up. It seemed like he was testing the waters of when she would notice, and pointed out — Uriel was too stuck within her own world to notice the dangers.

In truth she has gotten into quite a few sticky moments.

He was a tall and daunting man — stark white against the spring-time plains. Albino, she would point out by his more hushed pink eyes ; and if she thought so, she doesn't think she ever seen an albino.. Much less one that came out so openly, "Oh, you scared me." she so confessed with a docile, and awkward smile.

"But you are right," with an awkward chuckle to follow.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-08-2022, 08:31 PM
He watched in amusement as she jumped, a soft chuckle escaping his lips for a moment as he didn't even try to hide his amusement. Why should he after all? The squeak made him laugh as well, watching her with hooded eye. It was clear this woman was a bit.... ignorant when it came to the world outside of her own body. "By that reaction, I'd think this isn't the first time something like this has happened?" He would move as he watched her, walking down to where a mud puddle lay, something he used a lot to be out in the open. 

It seemed like this conversation may remain here for a moment, so he began rolling in the mud, lathering his back and sides in it before standing up and sitting back down to watch her. He almost sighed in relief as the sun was now no longer actively burning his skin. He may care about his appearance, but not walking around with sunburns was also on his list of priorities. 

"Are you by yourself? I don't really smell a pack on you." He sniffed the air again to make sure. He wanted to see if she were traveling with others or if the scents he smelled were of her lone travels past others like him. Either way, he had an offer for her. How he offered it though would rely on if she were alone.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-08-2022, 08:43 PM
She lifted a paw and rubbed her ear in a bit of embarrassment, "Aha, is it that obvious?" she said with a slight chuckle, albiet a bit awkward. It wasn't often.. But perhaps too many times for it to be truly legendary pull, maybe but a rare case every so often. Usually though it often led to fears of those individuals, and they led a linking image to her mind. Engraved, where there was still moments she thought about those who she especially fear; such as the flaming demon downwards.

Uriel could only hope that he wouldn't show again.

She watched him curiously as he found a mud pile and proceeded to roll in it. The smallest information she knew about albinos were.. The issue against the light. They were sensitive, and always were white with unusual eyes. Some cultures thought that to be an omen, others thought to be a blessing in disguise, "is that comfortable?" Uriel asked with a curiosity.

"For the time being, i'm not too keen to join a Pack at the moment," the golden dame confessed. She wasn't hostile against joining a pack but didn't want to join strangers at the moment ; and hadn't grown close enough to any pack wolves to truly do that. She would find one, one day.

the staff team luvs u
04-09-2022, 07:20 PM
He watched with an amused expression, though he found himself slightly shocked when she asked if it was comfortable. For a moment, he kind of just stood here, shocked. No one ever actually asked him something like that before, and he never really... thought about it either. Most creatures either ran or wanted to fight him upon first encounter so seeing someone be... nice to him was a shock. 

"I uh, yeah actually." He cleared his throat as he regained his composure. "It keeps my skin soft and adds a layer of protect from the rays of the sun." It seemed he was reeling still from the fact that she chose to have a mild conversation with him. 

Hearing her next words, he hummed softly to himself, cocking his head to the side slightly. For now he wouldn't attack her or force her to join. Only, and only because she was strangely nice to him. "And why is that? Someone like you could surely use the protection." For once, he didn't mean that is a rude way, though he didn't know how to talk and not be rude. He more so meant how scatterbrained she was.

the staff team luvs u
04-10-2022, 07:23 PM
She wasn't aware she was with a dangerous wolf ; she thought of him a bit strange and unique, someone who shouldn't generally be out so much and about with such a condition. One that he couldn't control, and she felt could understand the reasoning he would risk such ways to simply.. Be alive. At the very least he knew how to help himself a bit, as his white fur was snow stained in brown mud and looked to be like a young child who witnessed a rain. Even if the truth was far from it.

She only smiled at his comfort, before answering his next question, "I don't want to be with strangers," she said with a complete honesty, and comfortably within her voice. An utter assurance that was unlike her usual twist and pulls between on what to do, "if I had to join a pack, it will be with others that I utterly trust and feel comfortable with."

the staff team luvs u
04-11-2022, 06:02 AM
He was entirely certain that he could hurt her if he wanted, could force her to do what he wished or even kill her straight out. But for some reason, he really didn't want to. Of course if asked, he would simply write it out as him being too busy or her not being worth his time, but in actuality he wasn't sure. Something about her pure heartedness and naiveness made him not want to hurt her. She even seemed to care about his condition and his will being, at least more so than all the other that he had met. 

Hearing her answer to his question, he would sit down beside her, cocking his head to the side for a moment. "Well, have you ever even attempted to get to know a pack?" He wasn't saying that she should get to know him and his pack as he knew she was much too good for them. The pack he was creating was one of ill intentions and hatred and it appeared to him that she had neither of those. "You're a nice girl, but you should consider learning to defend yourself and how to watch out around you."

the staff team luvs u
04-11-2022, 11:18 PM
Uriel placed a paw on her chin, and hummed slightly, "You do have a point. I don't think I really have interacted too much with packs.." She couldn't even say she knew any of the names within the mountain land, and only truly knew of Shiroshika as @Thraximundar had told her who they were. Yet every other name slipped by or wasn't heard, or even asked.. She could tell my scent where they belong and who they generally may be, but alas could not connect them to a name itself.

The golden dame never approached one, and she couldn't give an answer why. Out of fear? Yet that didn't feel exactly right when she thought of it. The only time where she openly sought one out of curiosity was not a pack, but a clan of cats that was below where the river and lake was. She was now troubled, as his words held truth to it even though often she stated, she wouldn't join unless got to know some of them. 

She placed her paw back down and smiled, "I know the basics, though it seems my own instincts fail me sometimes," as it is clear, far too many seem to sneak up upon her. That was quite un-wolf like.

the staff team luvs u
04-12-2022, 06:42 AM
He watched the girl for a moment, for once enjoying a simply conversation which was something he wasn't well versed in. After a moment, he would speak up, his voice gruff. "Well, why don't you try interacting with packs? I'm working towards making my own of fighters and warriors, it might be something you could learn from." He thought for a moment as he considered his options. "How about this, I have a deal for you, feel free to change anything or outright decline." He was feeling good today and she had gotten on his good side so he was willing to negotiate with her instead of outwardly claiming her. After all, if his pack was made up of nothing but slaves and force members, that wouldn't help him very much now, would it.

"Get to know me and my members, stay with us for a little bit. If you don't like us, you can leave and no one will harm you. However, if you do choose to stay, not only will you be offered protection and a home, you will also be taught how to fight and how to protect yourself from the creatures that lurk in the shadows." Those like me. He kept that last part in his mind, not wanting to scare her off just yet. He hoped that she accepted joining, even if it was just a 'trial period' per say. But, even if she didn't, he would let her leave a free woman tonight. A thank you for showing some care towards him earlier.

the staff team luvs u
04-14-2022, 10:07 PM
Many wolves were ambitious, desiring to lay a claim within the world and a name upon a head from the many faces of the wilds. She did not smell any upon him at the time — thus it seemed he was one of those wolves. Overall a kind sole, but she could give but a polite, discouraging smile to his offer. An overall nice wolf, she so thought, even though a name seemed to be absent at the moment.. But she couldn't find herself joining a pack that was based on warriors alone, even if the offer was relatively nice.

"Though the offer sounds tempting.. I'm not one for being a warrior, much less join one based upon it," she looked over to the sky and distance for a moment in a wonder — if she did join, what would that make her? A better warrior? It was not something she desired, she — Uriel knew in her heart a bit, she wanted to be at use, a helpful hand, and though knew not the ways to go by or where her soul was destined.. She still knew, it was not his way.

"Perhaps I could visit sometimes?" She instead asked him, finding his companionship welcoming that she wouldn't make coming over a few times to see how he was, and his pack overall. Would pack wolves call that an allyship, even if it was one wolf? It had been some time since she knew of pack-terms, despite being born in one..

"I don't think I ever introduced myself, I am Uriel," the golden dame said with a tip of her head and a polite smile following after her declination, it was slightly more cheerful.

the staff team luvs u
04-14-2022, 11:00 PM
The man sat there and listened, bright pink eyes watching her and ignoring everything else around her. She intrigued him and because of that, the man quietly laid his own claim on her, something that she would probably never know. He disliked that she turned him down, but he wasn't going to let her go that easily, even if she left here today without him, he wouldn't let her get far. For now though, he needed to keep up the façade that he was a gentleman. It would make things so much easier in the long run. 

"Though you are not a warrior, much like other packs, we do need wolves that can do a little bit of everything. However, I won't force you to join if you really don't want to, though I do hate the idea of you out here and vulnerable." He was really trying his best to seem kind and welcoming, something that he really didn't know very well. Hearing her offer, he would give her a smile and nod, accepting that. "Very well, I will be making my home within the desert, you can come find me at any time." 

Hearing her name, he would smile slightly, her name rather perfect for her. "Its nice to meet you Uriel, the name is Satan." He figured she may shy away at his name, knowing that many hated him for it. It was another reason why he despised other but for now, he would deal with it, mostly because he did seem to enjoy being around her.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-14-2022, 11:25 PM
"I've managed, but maybe i'll come by for a session," she so said with a chuckle. Somehow, one way or another, Uriel has managed to survive. She lived through the terrors of the south and west tundra, and lived through the winters and this chaotic world itself. Some part of her, realizing how defenseless she is often.. Was a bit proud how she came ; even if at times it can be lonely within the forest, Uriel wouldn't forget the connections she made.

Such as with Satan, with a name whom.. She didn't let it show, but her mind ran a bit rampant with ; who would name their kid as so? She knew of Gods and Demons, Heaven and Hell, and one name that often ran through history itself — was the lord of hell that many, referred to as Satan itself. She couldn't imagine what sort of parents decided to name him that, but he had been very nice to Uriel.. That she wouldn't let a more, devious name, cloud her judgement against him.

"I often live near the upper plains, in a scattered forest called the Golden Glade. It has a beautiful sunrise and sunset." Her nose pointed toward the north, and though it could be relatively too close to the tundra.. It didn't reach to their snowy-points. It was home, for the meanwhile though, and finally felt well enough to call it so, "you should visit sometimes," and she wouldn't mind if anyone would visit her.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-14-2022, 11:37 PM
He had a feeling that his name sparked some thoughts in her, but if it did, she didn't say anything about it. For that, he was mildly grateful. Her words made him smile slightly though, watching her with an amused expression. She was something he wasn't used to, but wouldn't mind learning more about. He watched her closely, eyes grazing over body for a moment before looking back up at her eyes. If this was any other creature, there were so many things he would do to them, with zero care about their health or what they thought about him. But, he liked her and wanted to at least keep her at arms length for now. 

Looking over to where she pointed, he would nod slightly, making a mental note of where she lived. Golden Glade, is sounded like a place that would get a lot of sun shine and therefore a place he may like. Though one with albinism might hate the sun, he surprisingly like it, regardless if the burns he got from it. In his mind, it was worth it rather than hiding in the shadows his whole life. "Perhaps I will." He would move to stand, stretching his body out and shaking his fur, the mud from earlier cracking off and flying around him, though he made sure not to sling her with mud. "Our talk today was nice, I do hope to see you again soon." With that, he would nod at her in farewell before turning to leave. He had much to do to make his pack and though he enjoyed showing a softer side, he couldn't do it often for fear of what those around him would believe.

the staff team luvs u
04-18-2022, 10:44 PM
She was overall pleased to make new friends ; even if some were relatively odd or held names that were unusual. Though if she put a thought to it, there was very few that Uriel actually saw again, which brought a rather sad note to her heart. It was the desire to continually make these attachments, but she so-hoped that eventually a real bond would be created. She care not of romances or family, what she wanted was friends .. Where they'd do the same, that many did to Olive during the craze of the walrus. It was her greatest wish.

She smiled and nodded her head, "As do I, farwell Satan," even if the name gave an uncomfortable twist on her tongue, she would still use it. It simply would take.. Time, to adjust the underworlds ruler to in-fact a friends name ; for surely it was an accidental process. At least, she hoped.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top