Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
And if I see you in clean new clothes,

Afternoon
P
Ecologist
04-08-2022, 02:13 AM
@Osiris

No matter where she went.. The storm was always there. Some part of her thought maybe it was just within the distance of the plains, as a storm was slowly waiting to pull over. Yet as the days went by, the storm never seemed to truly go away, but never come either. Endlessly between a wariness, an unnerving settlement that continued to grow and it fustrated herself. Uriel wasn't spiritual or truly superstitious, yet it truly seemed like a bad sign..

Even when she strode to a random mountain, with legs soar — the golden wolf was determined to try and view it better. Yet, no matter how close she went, or how far she was ; it remained in the same distance, everytime. True instincts said do not try and go close, and thus she did not attempt to strode and find what it be. She was no storm chaser, that was a dangerous game..

She was just awfully curious, as she stood on top of a mountains peak, gazing in a rather.. Worried look.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-08-2022, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2022, 01:31 PM by Osiris. Edited 1 time in total.)
He’d noticed a shift in the air. Storm clouds had blanketed the sky for a few days now, and it felt foreboding in a sense. It was ever-present, staying in place and withholding the rain it carried. Osiris usually didn’t care too much about the weather, but there was something about this particular storm that had caught his attention. He couldn’t name why it he had become so invested, and he didn’t question his intuition. He remained curious and vigilant—it was all he could do to keep his anxiety at bay.

Today, Osiris had decided to investigate the storm from a different vantage point. Though the Nameless Mountain was tall, it did not offer a 360 ° view of the surrounding territories. He took his time while traveling, staying mindful of his surroundings. The snow-caps had begun to melt, and the chance of an avalanche increased. He had saw it happen on a neighboring mountain, and had seen the force of the snow-fall; it would kill him.

The mountain he’d decided to climb had already shed it’s frozen crown. Though it remained slick, it was more manageable to climb compared to its neighbors.

Osiris had nearly made it to the top of the mountain when he realized that he wasn’t alone. He could smell another nearby—a lone female—and he was suddenly curious. It wasn’t often that he met anybody when he climbed this high. Once he had made it to the top, he could see the other wolf and her worried expression. Osiris mirrored her anxiety, swallowing hard; he wasn’t the only one that noticed the shift in the air.

He looked from her to the sky, frowning, as he kept a good amount of space between them. ”Have you made any sense of what’s going on?” he asked vaugley, assuming that she’d understand his question.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-08-2022, 08:20 PM
A man approached — the smell of pack heavily hung upon him, and she tensed lightly. Though she didn't know where he was from, for Uriel was very unfamiliar with most packs in the mountains. She held knowledge of the Tundra, and a bit of the Plains.. But nothing major enough where she could help redirect anyone if they so sought a group, unfortunately. It did bring a mild curiosity, of where exactly was he from..

Thankfully so, he wasn't aggressive. There was a slight relief as her body shifted to a more friendly deposition, as he came with a more friendly tone. Not one that would scare her off, at the very least, she never know who claimed what land. Her gaze fell upon him, before shifting back to the sky itself. A faint crackle, was heard as a static slowly descended to the air around. A shifting, in temperature.

"Some within the plains mentioned a possible tornado," she said with a slight edge to her voice. She would hope to the Gods that was not true, for if something this long has been formulating in the background.. It would be the worst one she — or anyone has seen. Yet there was doubt within her heart if this was true, for the dark clouds loomed high in the sky, far, far away ; they shown no sign of descending to the ground.

"But I don't know, it just.. Stays there."

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-08-2022, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2022, 01:31 PM by Osiris. Edited 1 time in total.)
Osiris didn’t know too much about tornadoes. What he did know was that they caused substantial damage, destroying everything in it’s path. He stiffened, imaging what’d happen in the storm passed through the Nameless Mountain. Would it fall? Or would it survive? Osiris could only hope for the later.

Suddenly, his logical side kicked-in. ”I think there would be more wind if it were a tornado,” he reasoned. ”But … it’s so … still,” and that was what alarmed him the most. It was unnatural. ”I just wish it’d do something anything, really. The anticipation was getting the better of him, causing him to come up with every worst-case scenario. ”Then, at least, we’d be able to know what to do to keep safe.” He needed to know what he needed to do to keep his family safe.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-08-2022, 09:10 PM
She nodded in an agreement. Even if it was so far away, surely they'd feel a brushing of the wind itself. The daunting intimidating of leaves blowing to the face and the clouds hanging awfully low to the ground ; being sucked to in as it formed the devils wind. But alas, it wasn't any of that. Just a daunting, cloud of intimidation that led to the back and refused to even budge, no matter how many days have passed. Was a storm? A hail storm? 

"It's unnerving," words she repeated but felt all too correct for the situation. It was a knot in one's stomach as the weather kept changing, sometimes it felt too cold, and other times a humidity came through. Fur, being finicky as static roamed through the air and even on occasion, the whisper of clouds that did storm and thunder — but not from the behemoth that was far away.

"No matter how close I seem to get.. It never moves."

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-08-2022, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2022, 01:32 PM by Osiris. Edited 1 time in total.)
”It is,” He agreed. ”I’ve never payed much attention to the weather, but there’s something about this that makes me anxious.” Osiris felt a sudden chill, and shook himself to fend it off. ”I’ve never experienced anything like this.”

Curious, he wondered, ”Have you always lived here?” Osiris hadn’t met anybody who had been born here—save for his younger siblings—that could teach him about the area’s history. Maybe she’d be different.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-10-2022, 07:10 PM
"After a few storms and tornados, I started to pay attention more." She said, gazing as so.. So many tornados brought to the plains, witnessing around two at the point, even if the first was rather missed. She could see the terror during the aftermath, but the actual sighting of so voided her — but in the end Uriel still thought it surely was a tornado, and maybe that was what led to the pack within the plains to disappear.. She'd never know.

"Even the fauna seem nervous," the scattering of birds and other smaller critters, and the caution look they gave to the sky. Some prepared in a more hurry then before, as if winter was just around the corner ; despite now months, and months away. Everyone in some or another, felt a fear ripple within their hearts.

"Like many, I woke up, but found myself within the tundra, and moved to the plains," she smiled as she tore her gaze away and looked at Osiris more, "have you always lived nearby?" she could only assume with the scent of pack upon his pelt, that his territory was somewhere nearby.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-11-2022, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2022, 01:32 PM by Osiris. Edited 1 time in total.)
”A few storms and tornadoes?” he repeated. They hadn’t experienced any of those weather patterns in the mountains. ”When did all of that happen?” Osiris was oblivious to the world outside of Empyrean’s bubble. Still, this information could prove to be beneficial for the pack; perhaps the weather she described was a prelude of the storm to come.

There had been a noticeable change in the prey’s demeanor since the storm clouds had come. ”More skittish,” he agreed. Harder to catch, too—almost like they were on high alert.

Uriel then described how she’d arrive to their uncanny realm, and he nodded. ”I’ve never been to the tundra,” nor was he interested in ever doing so. It was too far from his family—from Leta. ”What’s it like?”

”Somewhat,” he answered to her last question, keeping his answer vague. Though Osiris didn’t detect her as a threat, he often withheld information about his pack.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-11-2022, 11:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2022, 11:11 PM by Uriel.)
"There's a few that happened in the plains, but not so destructive where the land itself was turned upside down." As terror as they look, Uriel was only thankful that the ones she witnessed weren't extremely awful that it blew away the land. Yet even seeing one, feeling the winds upon her pelt was enough to bring a terror to anyone. She was only lucky it passed by and she, remained safe, "it's been a few months since then," at least she thinks so. Sometimes time within the region seemed mixed.

"The tundra always holds an air of cold to it, like early winter and late fall, worse as the season comes. Some areas are always with snow, and others are free of that." Without a warm pelt, many would not enjoy such weather. She was relatively fine with it, her pelt wasn't too thick, but not too thin where it was an issue overall. She was relatively find it was just.. A lot happening, that the golden dame felt she was to avoid the area for some time, to digest, everything that happened. Sometimes adventure was just a bit too much.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-16-2022, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2022, 01:32 PM by Osiris. Edited 1 time in total.)
”And that’s normal?” he asked, lifting a brow. The amount of storms Uriel was describing seemed unnatural to the mountain-dweller. Sure, they had severe weather, but nothing as extreme as what had been described. ”That’s not normal here,” he added for context.

Though he knew that their world was vast and diverse, Osiris couldn’t make sense of how distinct each biome was. From what he could remember of his prior life, he didn’t think that the territories within that realm were as biodiverse as they were here. ”It seems like I need to get out more,” he joked. He wasn’t an explorer, and he never strayed far from his family’s mountain. It was just who he was.

Rolling his shoulders, Osiris began to watch the sky again. ”Do you think they can feel this up north, too?” Or was this event exclusive to their little corner of the world?

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-18-2022, 10:27 PM
"I would hope not," a grimace in her smile to think if tornadoes became the norm. The amount of destruction that could be left within their pathway would be the end for many, and many who called home to the region itself. Though there was only a few, she would not wish or hope that upon them, "I only hope that it's a fluke coincidence," and maybe just bad luck. If it didn't venture within the mountains.. Did that mean the plains held some bad luck? Or was it the air there that caused tornadoes? She couldn't really say what caused them with the limited information, only she knows that when the clouds start to twist and turn, it was time to run. Especially the lower they got, the more fear it would bring of what would form. 

Uriel nodded, "though I haven't been in the tundra for some time.. I am close enough where I can still see it, so surely they too, noticed." She was at the border of where the snow started to fall, and if she looked beyond her golden glade, then she could see some of the tundra plains within the distance. It seemed like it was everywhere, for no matter what she went, the clouds seemed in an enteral frozen state, where no matter how close or how far she went.. It was like they were within the same distance.

Was it in the same in the south?

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
05-20-2022, 02:23 PM
Osiris nodded in agreement. He had never seen a tornado, and he was thankful that he hadn't. Mountains were strong, facing whatever inclimate adversaries were thrown their way, but how would they do against a tornado? Osiris ventured that the wind could cause avalanches, potentially annihilating their claim. He didn't dwell on it too long, as it only pushed him to stress and concern. There was nothing he could do to protect his family from the made-up scenario in his head. 

"I wonder if they're finding a way to prepare for all of this," he wondered, "Or if they're all as lost as we are."

the staff team luvs u
06-05-2022, 07:30 PM
"We can only hope that it may just be a light rain." Uriel hoped that the wolves of the tundra maybe knew what was wrong, and yet.. Pessimism came and she didn't let it show to the other, it wouldn't do well to not only worry herself and another, "perhaps I should head home before it does come." Though it never seemed to move.. Shouldn't risk it.

"I am Uriel," the wolf greeted with a smile, "a pleasure to meet you."

the staff team luvs u
06-07-2022, 08:27 PM
Tags for reference!

Osiris nodded. Hoping was all they could do in their situation. 

Uriel then expressed her need to depart and introduced herself, and he dipped his head in reply. 

"Osiris," he answered. "Hopefully, the weather holds out for you." And if it didn't? He could only hope she would be able to survive whatever was thrown at her. If she didn't say anything in reply, Osiris would retreat and tell @Dirge, @Hydra, and @Leta what he'd learned once he arrived home.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top