Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Run, boy, run

Sunrise Sunny/Clear
AW
04-07-2022, 11:38 PM

It is only fair that the bearish boy ends up where bears flock in numbers — where his lookalike brethren enjoy a peaceful morning snack, Evergreen partakes in a great startle.

He is snoozing away, unaware of his predicament until a sneeze leaves his large nose. Blinking green eyes open, all at once he is welcomed with a field of flowers and berries.

“Wh— Thistle? … This is one of your jokes, right?” How she managed to carry him, let alone this far away from where he’d passed out is an impossible feat, but one he hopes is the case nonetheless. Maybe she paid some creepy thugs to do it for her — oh god.

He bounces to his feet — action pose ready. We shall ignore the stumble and loud sniff.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-08-2022, 12:05 AM
The floral plains were a land to always visit with a love. The way it smelled and the view altogether was but another day to enjoy as she would venture away from the Golden Glade and enter to it's beauty. The sun shone down, and glistened off some petals — embracing the golden view as the sun continued rising higher and higher, which would soon envelope the day itself. She already seen how much the Golden Glade glistens.. And was interested what else may be like.

Though as she crossed to so, a large figure stood in the distance. He was unlike the bright flowers and berries — large and brown, and seemingly confused. She watched with a distance, debating whether to help the man.. Was he someone like the rest? Though she hesitated with his battle-pose and wondered if that remained true.

the staff team luvs u
04-08-2022, 07:53 PM

Heavy with sleep, the bearish Evergreen slides round ears back — bewildered by the scene playing out before him. For it looks like none are here to jump out from the shadows at him, instead it seems rather peaceful… quiet, even.

The golden rays of the morning sun, the slight breeze that nudges loose petals free to glide along the wind, and nothing particularly out of place other than he, himself.

Scrunching his face slightly, the boy straightens his posture — shifting with green eyes dancing about the horizon until he spots the golden hue of another figure shimmering in the near distance.

Startled at first, he blinks doe-eyes wide — fur fluffing. “Are you…? Have you seen an uhm, smaller wolf with purple eyes?” He lifts his paw as if gesturing to say “about this tall”.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-08-2022, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2022, 07:59 PM by Uriel. Edited 1 time in total.)
He was big. She wasn't sure if she saw another wolf of his origin, as for sure she has seen large beasts — but height aside as well, his fur seemed akin' like a bears itself. By scent along she knew not to be true, and one the heavily was like the woodlands itself. Despite the ansy appearance earlier, he had a more cute-bear one, rounded face and ears, so much and yet unlike a wolf at the same time. Though.. He was lost, and looking for someone.

She approached with a less of a caution now, "Apologies, I have not seen anyone like that recently.. But met a one some time ago, are they golden?" There was only one Uriel could truly think of, though they were in fact taller ( @Amaranth ) and not small. Yet at the same time, she imagined anyone of his proportion was rather small, including herself who was average as any other.

But she wanted to help him at the very least.

the staff team luvs u
04-08-2022, 08:05 PM

A glint of hope lies in the boy’s facial expressions. If she’d seen Thistle perhaps then he could get answers on what happened, and why he is here.

Except upon her approach, it seems like disappointment is his fate for now. He shakes his head slowly, pulling his chin towards his chest with his gaze falling downward. Large paw returns to the earth.

“No… she’s more, uh, lavender-like? If you’ve seen those plants before.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-08-2022, 08:12 PM
He looked like a boy who lost his mother. It tugged the more maternal side of herself, and a greater desire to try and sooth the man, as she drew closer to sit politely in front of him, "I'm sorry, I haven't see anyone like that." she said, as Uriel had to crane her neck up a bit to properly talk to him. She tried to think of anyone — anyone at all that represented so, but she hadn't met anyone with such unusual eye color.. Much less a more lilac-brown pelt. Was her perhaps someone who was whisked away to this land? Like so many others?

"What's your name? Maybe we can look for her.. Do you remember the last time you saw her?" Though clues were there, she tried to gauge if that was truly what was happening ; and asked the stranger where was the last time he saw her. Within these plains? She knew majority of the areas, though recently some have been claimed.. Maybe purple-eyed wolf was within one.

"I am Uriel," she then introduced herself, with a paw on her chest and a faint bow of the head, as she smiled lightly.

the staff team luvs u
04-08-2022, 08:27 PM

It is true that he feels lost right now — Thistle has been his rock ever since their mother nudged them out of the nest to fly. Explore the world, find their purpose in life, meet more people — all that good stuff that came with experiencing the world outside their bubble.

Thistle made him feel strong, an anchor that he could always rely on. Without his sister here, however, he feels so very alone… and so… so very small. Which is hilarious considering his current situation. He blinks as her paws come to view, and sees that she has taken a seat before him.

He untucks his chin, and takes a seat himself, careful to mind his space for now and awkwardly shifting his tail towards his hind-legs.

Her questions are basic, yet overwhelming for his brain that whirls with vague imagery.

“I, uhm… I… I’m Evergreen. And I know this sounds… weird? Dumb? I don’t know, but I promise it’s true!” He leans forward a bit there, becoming more animated and passionate about it. “I went to sleep. My sister was right next to me —” You make for a comfortable pillow, Lump. “And uhhhm… next thing I know is… I woke up here? And uhm… I… I don’t remember… how I got here.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-08-2022, 08:33 PM
"I'm sorry." There was a pitied look, as Uriel listened to his story. She wasn't sure how to break it down, for unlike most.. It seemed he lost someone dear. That was harder then most who seemed to arrive, where a lot of times memories were lost and did not have to face such a heartache. She felt the same, sometimes, knew something within her past dearly hurt her so.. But the golden dame couldn't remember anything, not anymore. It once was there, but the more time she was around, the more she had forgotten of the past ; until all of it was lost. Now the only memories she has, is the ones she is making.

"It isn't strange at all, for this land.. Pulls, beings to here. You aren't the only one to wake up lost, and confused — many more are like that. Some, without memories of who they once were." Uriel tried to explain with a gentle tone, as she would hope this wasn't too much for him. She didn't want to directly say it, but as there was many more like himself that were the same..

None knew how to get back.

the staff team luvs u
04-08-2022, 08:38 PM

He feels crazy just saying it out loud. It makes it feel more real that there were gaps that he didn’t understand — hell, he typically remembers what he had for dinner two weeks ago but here he is struggling to imagine the taste of his favorite fish. Oh gods, what is my favorite fish—

He sucks in a breath, slow and steady — threatening to break at the sound of her apology. Uriel knows what is happening. She does not question his crazy story — which is what he expects, and something tells him it isn’t just because she’s nice.

“Wh—- what? I don’t… I don’t understand what you mean? Pull? Where is this? Is… is this a dream?” A nightmare?? He has those every now and then, but this feels more vivid. Usually there is something grounding him to reality when he has those. Oki taught him how to tell the difference; be it trying to feel the blades of grass, or smells.

He can feel the breeze. He can smell the flowers and the berries. Evergreen whines.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-08-2022, 08:48 PM
"We are as real as we ever were, and ever will be." She tried to assure him that they were not dead. Uriel tried to reach a paw out and touch one of his limbs to show proof that she didn't phase through, and this wasn't some after life. If it was heaven ; she dearly questioned why such a heaven would make hunger so real, and let terrors find its way to this place altogether. She knew by heart, it had to be real.. But obviously so with such a strange, and magical place at times, she too couldn't help but question it.

"Many of us simply.. Wake up here, or walk from one place, to a new place. I did as well, within the tundra, where I knew I didn't go to." What was the correct words to describe how they ended up here? Her only thought that one way or another, they were 'drawn' to this land. Bodies being taken from one place, to another, and all happen to come to this specific region. She did wonder.. What kept them from staying? It was like a magnetic pull, that she felt all too well when trying to leave.

But it was all too new, to truly tell that to Evergreen, who seemed flustered by the situation. She could only hope to ease him, as she didn't have anyone to do that when she arrived.

the staff team luvs u
04-09-2022, 06:10 PM

Uriel’s touch solidifies his woes — he can feel the warmth from her paw, and the pressure behind the gentle caress. Soothing, anchoring it should be, yet the bear finds himself feeling defeated in it’s place. He slumps low with shoulders unwinding. Muscles no longer tight with tension; only sinking deeper into the grave he’s made and the confusion he swims in.

“That’s so… so weird…? I… I… there has to be a reason behind it, right? It can’t be random.” Maybe it’s just Eve that needs the reason — the purpose of why he’s drawn into this world, and so many others, too. He lets out a sigh, but tries to seal his anxiety. Uriel is new to him, and he new to her — the last he needs is to vomit the entirety of his mess on a silver platter for her to gawk at.

It’s very rude, yknow?

“Uhm… thanks, uh, Uriel, for… explaining. It’s just a lot to take in.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-09-2022, 08:07 PM
She pulled away her paw and continued with a pitiful smile. He seemed to be someone who was having trouble adjusting the situation ; and wondered if it contributed to the other he had lost. She imagine it's difficult to suddenly lose someone that once were close with, and the inability to find them again.. Some part of Uriel felt regretful, telling him so — but that false hope may even be worse, if he wandered aimlessly around, never able to find her. But at the same time.. The golden dame knew she could be wrong.

"Maybe she too will show up some day," a slight voice of encouragement, "no one is really.. Sure, how they came to be. Perhaps it's just fate." Uriel was slowly coming to conclusion this may not been the best to say, but she wasn't sure how else to gradually have someone come to terms with it. She'd like to help him — others, anyone who resolved into the same situation of unknowing where they are, and why it was.

For no one knows, even now. It's only the matter of accepting, "I hope it gives you some slight ease."

the staff team luvs u
05-06-2022, 07:44 PM

If he’s honest, it does give relief in knowing that this might not be the End. Evergreen is still reeling though, finding himself dumbfounded and gullible in this bizarre turn of events. Maybe he’ll grow accustomed to life here, if it is truly his new reality — or he’ll keep fishing for a “way back” into what he’d been used to.

The mention of fate has his little ears perking up a bit.

“Hmm,” he hums, still obviously crestfallen, but doing his best to do his usual awkward-cover-up smile. “Yeah, maybe it is fate… I dunno, just… gotta keep going, right?” The bearish boy’s smile grows more genuine with that comment towards Uriel.

“Do you uhhh… know any rivers or creeks by the way?” He asks, shifting green eyes as his stomach does a noisy grumble at the hint of food. Cue shy laugh. “Kinda hungry.” All that panicking, waking up in a weird place and what not would do that to a guy, yknow?

the staff team luvs u
05-07-2022, 11:29 PM
She was settled upon thinking, and hoping he was more at ease. She would wish his sister would arrive to the land on another day — it can be awfully lonely sometimes if not for finding a pack. Uriel would find days of a loneliness taking over when Khadne or others weren't within the Golden Glade, and it was an unfortunate moment where she almost dwelved to throwing herself to strangers ; but she was afraid of that as well. 

"Northeast you can find a long river, where many streams occur and even a large lake." Her snout pointed behind her, perhaps if they went further they would be able to hear the stream. The Meadow was quite close to it after all ; and that was one part she enjoyed the meadow. Plentiful water all around, and a peace reigning fold.

the staff team luvs u
05-08-2022, 02:28 AM

Being around water might just calm him down further, too, so overall it seemed like a win/win situation for Evergreen. The bearish boy perked up his ears at the sound of northeast and the plethora of water masses that it housed. His kind of place.

“Oh! Great, that sounds perfect,” he exclaimed, smile growing a touch with said glee. “I, uh, am gonna head in that direction then. Could I… offer you a, uh, possible fish as… a thanks for the information?” He felt it rude to just wander off as it were.

the staff team luvs u
05-08-2022, 02:34 AM
Uriel found herself avoiding meat. She didn't feel comfortable about eating something that possibly could talk ; and she didn't enjoy hearing the screams of another when she did not make a near-perfect bite. Maybe that was but a cowards way out, to find only a liking of fish and berries. Neither, could talk, neither could scream like another and she — found her diet more and more turning to so.

So, she nodded with a smile, "i'd love too," as a meal sounded quiet well for the moment as Uriel was full of only berries for the quite while, "I can show you the river," and motioned him to follow her to the area.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top