Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Have you ever felt like Atlas, threw your back out on the axis

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
P
04-06-2022, 08:57 PM
For @Harper

The rain stopped and a wave of warm air swept over the temperate, like a tired sigh. The wetness of his fur sent a shiver down his ashen spine, and he shook wildly to rid himself of most of the moisture that had clung to him. He mimicked nature, a sigh escaping his own mouth as he trekked forward and further from his home. He found peace in the sight of the mountainous area ahead, and terror at the sight of the sea, subconsciously diverting his path to the northern most parts of the Temperate.

It was near the river he settled to eat the hare he had carried, digging in shamelessly and with an uncontrolled frustration he not often showed. It was a good thing he was alone, for this might ruin his image of calm serenity and diplomacy - or perhaps his father would like it, as anger was better than apathy where he came from.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
Adventurer
Ecologist
04-07-2022, 12:48 AM
^^
Future dated to 4-13 for mysterious purposes ~

The season of spring was one that celebrated new life and rebirth yet still, the starlight prince remained dead while plants all around were coming out of their yearly dormancy. Chicks were hatching, fawns were being born; wolves were going into their season - and Harper was soon to be among those. She could feel it creeping up like a dull headache that was trying to resurface.

There was a weird storm brewing, too; flashes of hot and cold air, the clouds that never seemed to move closer. Was the prince in there? How would this weird weather affect the new life being born? Were there any reports of anomalies? Is this how albinos were created and other freaks of nature? An interesting thought, she supposed, to dwell on for later.

An ear flickered as she ventured further than she had ever before; the Bounty of Sylvanus was coming up, and Harper wanted it to look the best it ever had, which meant that she needed special flowers, and of course, lovely roots to totally not drug the guests with –

Most of which, those plants and roots were found by the river, or some other source of water and as a Land Shark, Harper was excited to go for a swim before plucking the roots, when instead, Harper came upon Almight, thus tossing her plans for a swim out the window.

“Excuse me, sir? I don’t mean to trouble you, but do you know where I might find some Jewelweed?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2022, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2022, 01:23 AM by Almight.)
An ear swiveled, and a bloodied face followed soon after an unusually accented voice called out to him. He was one to present himself as decent most of the time, but today he felt rather shameless. He did no more than rub his maw on his shoulder, overall making his appearance worse, not better. He swallowed thickly, taking his time but not cockily so; he simply wasn't a guy to speak with his mouth full, that was all.

“I'm afraid you're asking someone who can barely tell what grass looks like.” He answered in his gruff voice with the smallest smirk tugging at the corner of his lips. He had only indulged in his fairy-gold Eglantine's interests, for she was prettier than all the celestial bodies combined, but truly he knew nothing of the plant world. Hell, if he just ate whatever he found on the ground like Grumble probably did, he would've been long dead, poisoned by some unassuming mushroom. He wasn't even very sure if mushrooms were plants, that's how bad his knowledge was.

But, still, the lady had requested his help, and she had been awfully polite despite matching him in size. He tipped his head to the side a bit, thinking. “Perhaps, if you describe it to me, I can see if I happened upon something similar.” He proposed eventually. As quite the sapiosexual, he already liked her much better for talking to him as she had done, than most Nightwalkers - and he was willing to help in whatever way he could.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
Ecologist
04-12-2022, 12:09 AM
^^A bloodied face turned towards her, and Harper found herself staring at a set of eyes that she’d never seen before. The color, too, was very nearly captivating and immediately reminded her of a silver moon and of, course, of her sister - as if someone had captured the tiny wolf and turned her into a nice, silver ball -

She was mildly heartbroken but not totally disappointed that he hadn’t been a plant nerd; not many of her species seemed to exist, as most wolves with larger bodies such as themselves, chose a life that suited them easier than plants.

And yet - and yet there was hope still, as he hadn’t totally dismissed her, nor had he poked fun and called her a hippie, or whatever that meant - she’d heard them all before. Instead of all of that, he offered a proposal that Harper could not refuse; she enjoyed teaching as much as she did gardening.

“How nice of you! Jewelweed is also known as Touch-Me-Not plants, if that helps? They typically look like they have blood on them, it’s an orange petal with bright red, blood like spotting. It’s an edible medical plant with leaves that don’t like to be touched. I am Thornweaver of Elysium, and we are holding a Spring Festival, and I would like to add this plant to our festival as well as my personal collection.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-12-2022, 12:39 AM
Though quite intelligent, Almight couldn't say he'd ever been on the receiving end of a teaching ever since mother had died - save for the night he'd shared with Riannon. He was usually the one lecturing others, worrying, taking care of others because he was completely unable to care for himself. It made him feel good to be useful, like a domesticated dog with the habits of a feline refusing to show the happiness he got from praise.

He listened with big eyes, trying his very best to not zone out - his recent meal making him go through postprandial fatigue. He perked up a bit at the mention of a pack name, one that he was pretty sure he hadn't heard before. And a festival... he had only been to one 'party' in his life, and that had been as awkward as it had been pleasant. He wondered; did the wolves of Elysium also weave flowers in their fur for the occasion?

“Ah, I think I've seen those at the northern edge of the forest my pack has made home. They looked like tiny flames, with their mouths open like aaaaa? He said, opening his mouth to resemble the shape of the flowers. The lift in his voice made it sound like he was looking for confirmation rather than telling her directly. He hadn't thought anything of them when he'd passed them near the Pasture, only that they looked kind of funny and were a pretty color. He hadn't even stopped to think how the speckled petals resembled blood splatters. “What are they good for?” He asked then, wondering if he could pass on this information to their own healers - ah, that was if they didn't know already.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
Ecologist
Medic
04-12-2022, 04:43 AM
^^Harper watched him closely as she usually did when meeting strangers; keen eyes adjusting to the way his body moved; the keywords that caused his ears to flicker with interest. Those being the pack and the festival, and Harper wondered if he was of a pack as she was too far to grab his scent, though he looked like he would smell like smoke.

And then he spoke of his own pack, and Harper wondered if she’d crossed any borders without meaning to, but before she could ask, Almight was mimicking the shape of the flowers with his mouth, causing Harper to smile and giggle at him. He looked oddly adorable when he did that, that Harper was almost tempted not to stop him.

“Yes, those are the ones! Would you mind taking me there? Would it be okay if I gathered some of those flowers for my garden and the festival?” She paused, liking that he saw them to resemble fire and tiny flames versus blood like she had.

“Jewelweed is for tummy aches, and rashes caused by another plant, known as Poison Ivy, but I am using it because it’s bright and colorful like the rest of the festival will be. Does your pack hold festivals, too?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-20-2022, 07:03 PM
To think someone could find a son of Vengeance, a behemoth and the scion of the Nightwalkers, 'adorable'. As long as it wasn't said out loud, he supposed he could live with that. He only wanted to instill fear into those that deserved it, like intruders or thieves. If Harper hadn't been or wasn't planning to be naughty, there was little to fret about when it came to him. Where his father was violence, he was consideration.

“I think there were plenty to go around, and it isn't within our territory so I wouldn't see why not.” He thought aloud. The only thing he worried about was running into another Nightwalker and having to explain himself. He couldn't be seen helping someone from a pack they weren't even affiliated with. Did he have it in him to pretend he was against the other if he was indeed scolded on the spot? He wasn't sure if he could lie like that, not even to save his title.

He snorted at her question. “I think our Warlord would rather hold a public execution, or something of the sorts - though we were invited to one not too long ago. I think I was the only one who had a good time - eh, moderate time. It was fine.” Shoot, he'd misspoken and he frowned. He gave a worried look to the woman - it seemed the casual air they'd created made him a little more careless, he just hoped his trust wasn't misplaced. He shook it off and got himself up and ready.

“The Pasture is only a small ways past the mountains. Just be wary of anyone there, most of my kind aren't as sociable as me.” He warned with a wink. A full tummy and a pleasant conversation had put the stormcloak in a good mood, which was rather rare.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
04-26-2022, 05:01 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2022, 05:01 AM by Harper.)
^^Harper truly never made plans to be naughty; they always just sort of… happened. Of course, her version of naughty and his were not the same - or were they? Almight was thinking out loud, and Harper would smile and nod her head, glancing around with the gentle breeze of a soft wag of her tail. “I would really appreciate that, sir.”

And then he snorted, and Harper fell silent to take note that whatever pack he hailed from liked to hold public executions. Did that, too, mean that they were for hire, should Harper or Elysium ever need warriors? Seemed so, based on his alpha’s title of Warlord,. The correction of what type of time he’d had caused her brows to arch and her head to tilt, wondering if he was simply not allowed to enjoy himself.

She would say nothing in the manner, glancing towards the mountains he referred to for a moment, with the nod of her head. He seemed kind enough, even if most of his people weren’t as nice, further drawing suspicion to the type of pack he belonged to.

“Thank you for your time and your guidance, sir. It was lovely to meet you.” Harper cooed gently, dipping her head and heading south, towards the Pasture.

exit harper
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-01-2022, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2022, 11:28 PM by Almight.)
As a child, he had hoped to find a new family in whatever pack he ended up joining and enjoying his place as part of a bigger picture. He had been on the right path for so long, until he had come across his father. To leave now would be signing up for a life on the run, forever looking over his shoulder... Even if he wanted to join a pack that held festivals and were friendly to each other, he couldn't abandon the Nightwalkers for greener pastures. He was sentenced for life.

“The pleasure was all mine.” His baritone voice rumbled friendly, nodding goodbye as she went on her way. He sure hoped that wouldn't come back to bite him in his ass.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
scroll to top