Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Standin' in the light of your Halo

P
04-04-2022, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2022, 05:55 PM by Harper. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
It was hard not to take notice of the two looming, blood red figures that entered their territory; figures that found and spoke to Elysium’s Highest of Priestess’, and that of Harper’s perfect little world. Scents that didn’t belong were kept within a distance, and with two looming figures and a smol bean sister, Harper kept watch on the two as they spoke to her sister.

Had they felt her watching them? Surely so, but Harper hadn’t cared; two larger canines and one smol bean, things could have turned ugly, and Harper wanted to spring into action should she need to, but alas, thankfully for them - they were well behaved enough for Harper to remain hidden in the forest and trusting them to behave further, but knowing if Valeska was in any trouble, she would be the first – maybe second – to be called.

A call that never came, so Harper had taken naps of naps since then; she wasn’t feeling herself still, but alas, she was slowly recovering.

The red wolves were still here today, Harper noted their scents to memory, but alas, today was not about them. Valeska trusted them to allow them to remain on the territory - which wasn’t… really saying much, she was the Most Trustful Bean™ - heading to the oasis, though, Harper took a few laps to drink before entering the oasis; swimming had always helped calm her nerves, and she hoped that it would be no different today.

@Halo - takes place a few days after the thread w/ Valeska
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-04-2022, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2022, 05:59 PM by Halo. Edited 1 time in total.)
Halo had felt the sharp gaze of another wolf for the past few days. Then he heard swimming in the lake they were by, so he turned towards the sound and... yep, definitely another wolf. 

"Someone else is here." He said this, still watching the wolf. 

His sister came to his side and said in a hushed tone "She's beautiful!

Typical Lani, leaning towards a preference for other females. Halo thought this as he shook his head slightly, though he was not disapproving. 

He waited till the wolf was closer before calling out to her. "Hello! What's your name?"
the staff team luvs u
♠ Halo ♠
04-04-2022, 06:04 PM
^^Harper may have looked like she was distracted, but she was not foolish enough not to notice how the scent of the strangers seemed to grow stronger. She was like fish, though; swimming as though the water was natural for her.

And when he finally broke the silence. She turned to face him, then, acting very much like she hadn’t known he was there. A raise of brow; a tilt of her head. One face, with two scents - so where was the other? Hiding?

Harper approached slowly, though she didn’t leave the oasis of the lake. Instead, she sniffed at the air, to make it known that she knew there was another there.

“Good day, friends.. ” Harper would address both, assuming that the sister was still nearby, nodding towards the more red one of the two. “I am Harper Bacchus. Who might you be?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-04-2022, 06:18 PM
Lani, noticing that the female had not seen her yet, came forward to be noticed. 

"My brother and I are known as Halo and Lani Akaris. It's a pleasure to meet ya!" Lani eagerly said this, excitement radiating off of her. 

She took in the scent of the other female. "Are you related to Valeska or in her pack? I scented a similar scent from you. Not that you need to answer- I was just thinking and-" She was nervous in the presence of this wolf, and that made her try to clarify her thoughts in a rush.
the staff team luvs u
❈ Lani ❈
04-04-2022, 07:59 PM
^^The sister of the brother came forward, at long last, and Harper blinked at the two of them. The only thing that they seemed to have in common was the coloring of their paws, which was a medium shade of silver. Almost like her own feet, though only her toes were silver - and hidden as she swam around the oasis.

The female took over for her brother, and Harper arched a brow, deciding to come out of the water to show her full stature - which was far, far larger than that of her sister’s. She smiled, slowly, exposing her teeth.

“And what, Lani?” Harper growled softly, and slowly, stepping towards them.

Why was this female nervous around Harper? What did they wish to gain, from disturbing her, while she was taking a swim? She supposed that she would soon find out.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-04-2022, 08:22 PM
"I-It's just that Valeska offered for us to join her pack, and we accepted- And I just scented something similar from you- And we don't mean any harm..." She tried to clarify herself, but didn't really succeed. 

It was clear to Lani that Harper noticed how nervous she was around her. But as she raced to clarify herself, she didn't mention anything regarding why she was so nervous. 

"And also Valeska was saying that we could join her sister as healers."
the staff team luvs u
❈ Lani ❈
04-04-2022, 08:36 PM
^^Aha, so they were new recruits, which felt odd - when was the last time someone had joined their ranks? The female was nervous, which was odd - made sense, surely, if they were afraid of her, but they were almost her size! So why..?

Harper narrowed her eyes with a smirk, did Valeska want Harper to teach them? Sure, Valeska wanted a school in Crux’s memory… but..

Harper sat where she stood, and eyed them both - but the more healers they had, the better, yes?

“Very well, I introduced myself to your brother - I’m sure you heard. I am Harper Bacchus. Valeska’s sister, and the Thronweaver of Elysium. Nice to see that we’ve got.. ” She paused, looking them both over with an arch of her brow and lick of her lips - “...fresh new faces, but why are you so nervous? You didn’t seem nervous before.. ” - not that Harper had actually been paying attention.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-04-2022, 08:50 PM
Should she tell Harper the reason why? No, I shouldn't. She'll probably just laugh at me for it...

"If I tell you, you'll laugh at me or be disgusted by me..." Her head drooped, saddened. "Can we just get to doing other things? Like, I would like to go somewhere and do something...

Her sadness was visible even more now. Only my family knows about my... female-leaning preferences... I don't think anyone else would accept me... 
the staff team luvs u
❈ Lani ❈
04-04-2022, 08:59 PM
^^It was as though Lani was taken over by a spell of sadness, to which Harper understood on her own level. Not for the same reasons, of course. She eyed the two for a moment, noting the odd silence from the brother -

“I can not train wolves that I can not trust.” Harper muttered softly with the shrug of her shoulders. “You can do other things, but I’m going back to enjoying my swim - you’re welcome to join me if you want.. I guess?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-04-2022, 09:48 PM
Halo finally spoke. At first, he had wanted to let Lani do what she wanted, but now... He understood why Lani was sad and wanted to comfort her. 

"You don't need to trust us. Well, I mean, if you don't want to train us, that's fine. I can teach Lani because I am adept at my skill as a healer. And she's mostly going to be a hunter anyways.

He then hugged his sister, trying to comfort her. 

"But sure, we'll join you in swimming. It'll relieve some stress that we need to get rid of!"
the staff team luvs u
♠ Halo ♠
04-04-2022, 09:55 PM
^^Harper wasn’t exactly sure what her sister had seen in these two, though that was likely why they’d been sent to look for her, wasn’t it? If they had secrets that would bring forward harm when they came to light, it was Harper who they would deal with.

But if Halo did not need training, then getting to know him was utterly pointless - especially since he was ~ so skilled ~ already. Her hackles raised a bit, watching them, and merely shrugging as she turned to go back into the water. They would have to work harder than that to impress her, not that they needed Harper's approval; they were already part of the pack, after all.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-04-2022, 11:51 PM
Valeska had led Halo and Lani toward the dens, before bidding them a brief farewell as she suddenly remembered there was a carcass she'd left out by her sunning-rock. No good having that lying around getting old and chewy. As she went on her way, the little wolf glanced up for a moment and suddenly witnessed a dark gathering of clouds in the distance, yet strangely, they did not seem to move - the air also felt different, as if something electric hummed between spaces.

It was odd, to be sure, but perhaps just a spring thunderstorm.

Finishing her business, she trotted back toward where she had left them, but detoured when she realized they were now at the lake's edge with Harper who was... actively swimming away from them.

They looked distressed.

Oh, dear.

“Harper!” Valeska called, closing the distance, “I see you have met our new wolves - Halo and Lani. I wished to bring them to meet you, but it seems you have beaten me! How is it going?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
04-05-2022, 03:01 PM
Lani had been just about to wade into the oasis before a semi-familiar voice called out. 

"Hello, Valeska! What's up?" Lani was trying to hide her sadness, yet although she succeeded in part, Lani was sure Valeska had seen it. 

She could sense the worry rolling off Halo, and glanced at him with a look that said 'I'm okay, for now.' She looked back over to Valeska in all her white beauty- No, stop thinking like that! She probably already has a mate and she's the leader of the pack! Lani thought this angrily, shaking her head, trying to clear her head of these thoughts.
the staff team luvs u
❈ Lani ❈
04-05-2022, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2022, 03:35 PM by Harper. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^Harper had been swimming away because she had invited them for a swim, and trusted them enough not to be foolish - but as her darling little sister called out to her, Harper quickly turned to face her, in the water with a smirk and shake of her head.

“I did? Oh! No, I was already here, when they found me. I was under the impression that you told them to find me.” Harper responded with the tilt of her head as narrowed eyes lingered over the suspicious Lani and bullheaded Halo.

Harper eyed Lani suspiciously, wondering if the girl was ill; she was shaking her head a lot.. “Halo, should you not look into that? Since you’re ‘so adept in your skills as a healer’? Harper mused, thinking the girl to be ill and if that were true, it would be unwise for her to go swimming.

Her eyes turned to Valeska with an arch of brow, feeling more than hurt in the assumption that Valeska didn’t trust her skills as a healer - why else would she have recruited Halo, who had announced to the world that he was in need of no training. So, clearly, he was here to replace her. Her eyes lingered on the tall red wolf, wondering if she should let him replace her or if she should take out the competition.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-05-2022, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2022, 03:12 AM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)
Oh gods.

Well, she mused, the fact that the new recruits had survived Harper thus far was a testament to their will, if not a testament to her sister's hyper-protective nature. If she had been able to take a peek at her thoughts she would have been absolutely appalled that her beloved sister believed she was being replaced, but of course, this was not the case.

(... It's not like Valeska tried to attack a tiger for her or anything...)

Valeska noticed the odd way Lani was looking at her, and took a confused moment to glance down the front of her pelt in case something had stained it - or did she have something on her face? She smiled apologetically toward the young female for whatever may have been amiss, and cleared her throat.

“I wished them to meet you for assessment, sister - you are our resident Thornweaver, and you are due for hefty promotion. We must make room for young healers and herbalists to train and hone their skills under your guidance,” she stated gently, noting Harper's stubborn refusal to vacate the water. Valeska meant it, too - a rank shuffle was forthcoming in the future, since the last few seasonal events had been skipped due to various circumstances.

'So please get out of the water and help them! I will bring you snacks!'

the staff team luvs u
04-05-2022, 04:14 PM
Halo noticed the tension coming from Harper, and the realization hit him aboutwhy

"Oh! I'm sorry Harper, I didn't mean to come off like that! I just meant... I just meant that I am not really in need of teaching and I didn't mean to make it seem like I was sent to replace you or anything! And Lani..." He trailed off, glancing at her. Her look said that she was fine, but he knew she wasn't because of her shaking her head. 

"Lani, I think we should tell them. I understand that you're upset and afraid about them laughing or something else, but... I think it's the right thing to do." His emotions reflected hers, but he was upset because she was.
the staff team luvs u
♠ Halo ♠
04-05-2022, 04:36 PM
Panic stampeded through Lani at her brother's words. But he seemed like it was the truth, and since when did he purposely do something that he knew would hurt her? 

"You really think so, huh? Okay, I agree. Now's the best time to tell them..." She said that last part in a quieter voice. Lani braced herself for what was to come, trying to push aside the panic and say the secret only her family and the closest of close friends knew. 

"I... I have a... female-leaning preference..." She quietly said, but loud enough for them to hear.
the staff team luvs u
❈ Lani ❈
04-05-2022, 05:41 PM
^^And there it was, ladies and gentlemen, the true reason that Harper found herself disliking the Akaris Siblings — they were harboring a secrets! And Halo was very snobbish about his skills, but mostly, they had secrets.

A secret so terrible, so vile that Lani had grown saddened earlier, and that caused her such great pain that she often shook her head! A pain that Harper could not - would not - allow to slide, because she was to be the greatest medic and plant nerd of all time -

Even if Halo was this adept skilled healer coming here to replace her and - Harper’s thoughts stopped as her sister spoke. Oh! Oh, an assessment. Riiighto. Yes, that made total sense!

And a promotion? Harper? What had she done lately aside from grieving over a dead husband and making friends with a super cool tiger?? Nothing, that’s what! She should be demoted if anything!

Harper swam out of the lake and shook herself off, in the midst of approaching Lani, still believing her to be ill, though pausing with the arch of her brow and nodding of her head. “Yes yes, an assessment - yes, I uh.. right.”

Her eyes took to her sister, who - yes - was the most beautiful she-wolf and alpha to ever rule the land. Seconded to the purple neighboring lady alpha that Harper had not yet to meet - when she smiled and smirked as this big mystery of a secret was revealed that Lani liked the ladies.

And without a beat or even the slightest bit of hesitation, —

“And what of your darling, perfect wife, sister? I couldn't possibly accept a promotion if Amaranth isn't being offered the same. ”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-05-2022, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2022, 11:53 PM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)
The steady buildup brought on by Lani's nerves coupled with Halo's insistence to out whatever it was that troubled her so left Valeska fidgeting with anticipation. Whatever their sins, she was sure they could be forgiven with repentance and a desire to do better; yet this seemed much more grave than she could have anticipated. Had they murdered an innocent wolf in cold blood, or willfully injured a pup? What terrible things might they have-

Harper rose from the lake, dripping and victorious, eyes alight with a righteous fury. This was it. She had been right! Harper had only meant to protect Valeska from the monsters of the earth, and she wholly understood why her sister had been so cold. To at last bring to light the bitter truth, that she might descend upon them with Houtu's fury-

Oh.

That explained the look from earlier.

Valeska blushed beneath her fur, giving Harper a gentle fwap with her forepaw good-naturedly. “Well, Lani, this pack believes that love is love,” she replied with a sheepish grin, “And as my sister has stated, my mate is also... a lady. A very lovely lady, but yes. You are in good company here, and you have no need to feel ashamed, now or ever.”

She chuckled a little, and caught Harper's question. “Ah! Yes, Amara is, too. I am embarrassed it has taken so long, since both of you are so near to my heart - but the festival shall be cause for much celebration, I promise.”

Turning back to the red-hued siblings, she steered the conversation back to its original purpose; it was important that they be willing to train, and while Lani may not be as botanically-inclined as her brother, Valeska could help develop her skills in time. Halo, meanwhile...

“So, Harper,” she teased, “Now that the terrible threat has been eradicated, would you be willing to teach Halo some of your craft?”

the staff team luvs u
04-07-2022, 11:13 PM
The feelings all dropped away, leaving Lani with feelings of joy and relief at Valeska's words. She doesn't care about it! She said it's fine! Yes yes yes yes! 

"Thank you! You don't know how much I needed to hear that!" She sighed in relief, looking toward her brother. 

Her eyes probably showed many emotions, but the main ones were relief and joy. Lani was so relieved about this because no one had known besides her family and the closest of close friends. 

"I've kept it a secret from everyone besides my family and my closest of close friends. It was so hard on me, keeping it like that. I constantly worried that if anyone else found out, they would laugh at me and wouldn't want to be with me anymore." As she explained, she fidgeted slightly.
the staff team luvs u
❈ Lani ❈
04-08-2022, 02:13 PM
^^The big bad secret was out, though to Harper, something like that wasn’t really earth shattered; to Valeska, though, that might be a different story. Sexual alignment - as Harper considered it - wasn’t really something that ought to be judged, in her eyes; she was a judge of character and did not think it just to judge someone over things they could not control -

Such as the color of their coats

Or the preferences one might seek for in a mate.

But as Valeska spoke, Harper smiled ever so sweet; a smile that was in fact, not sweet at all, as she turned to look at Halo with the shake of her head. “No, I don’t think I will be, Valeska… for he has declared that his skills are so adept that he needs no teaching! I did not know that you had recruited the world’s best healer.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-12-2022, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2022, 03:12 AM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)
The very notion of keeping such a beautiful, normal part of oneself a secret as Lani had was unthinkable. What had her old home been like? To shame someone for simply loving another - perish the thought! As it happened, Valeska had always assumed herself keen on the male persuasion, particularly after a brief tryst with a certain Rhelenso some time ago; yet her mysterious golden woman proved her wrong in the end. She was surprised to find that she could be quite fluid in who she felt attraction to, though her heart belonged firmly with Amaranth.

“Well,” she began, “If anyone laughs at you for such a thing, and does not want to be with you, then you have no reason to be with them either. Keep only good company! Life is so short as it is. Do not let the past trouble you; we are not like that here. Was your pack very... traditional?”

The little wolf then smiled and cocked a brow at her sister, who seemed vehemently against teaching Halo anything at all. Whatever impression he had left on her, the poor lad probably didn't realize how scrutinizing Harper could be toward strangers. “I am sure he did not mean it in the puffing-up sort of way,” she stated with some concern, giving the pair a quizzical look. “I do not think anyone should stop learning, at least until they are dead, hah! Even I am still ignorant. There are always new things to be seen! Right, Halo? Do you wish to train?”

the staff team luvs u
04-12-2022, 10:36 AM
"Yes, our pack was traditional..." Halo said, shaking his head, but not in anger or sorrow. For his sister hugged him again, and he was internally laughing.

He was kinda shocked, as he hadn't known he was being rude or anything. So he apologized to Harper. "I'm sorry! I can be a bit... clueless about the words I say. I didn't mean to come off like that, I meant to come off as helpful in a way since I already know a lot, and I didn't want you to think you had to take the time to teach me."
the staff team luvs u
♠ Halo ♠
04-14-2022, 03:36 AM
^^It was no secret that Harper took to strangers as though she wore a white coat; putting them under the microscope. Lani and Halo had been immediately thrown onto the back burner; Lani for her secrets, Halo for being Mr. Know It All and actually - though not really - challenging her; claiming he didn’t need to be taught cus he was the best of the best, right?

Ah but Valeska was here to thicken the already thin ice as she always was; the band aid of Harper’s judgements and mistakes. Always there, fixing things and picking up after Harper.. - thoughts of darkness swelled in.

Halo apologized - one that Harper didn’t feel that was truly genuine and her social meter for these was depleted. “Understood, Halo.” Harper smiled sweetly, in the way a mean popular girl at school might have smiled at her prey.

She would glance to her sister with an arch of her brow, “найди меня позже.” She would muse, dipping her head and departing.

exit harper if not stopped.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-14-2022, 04:12 AM
Sometimes, her sister could be utterly baffling. She would get such wild hairs and either obstinately refuse to participate in a thing, or display outright hostility toward perfectly benign strangers - but Valeska knew that she still grappled with her grief, and so tried her hardest to cut the widowed woman some slack. Still, it was unfair to treat new recruits so harshly, and this may need to be part of their discussion later.

“священная волчица мать,” she breathed, not understanding what just happened. Sighing lightly, she turned her attention back to the siblings and tried to offer a reassuring smile.

“Well, do not worry. She will come around - until then, lesson number one: treat burns with calendula. Which, after this interaction, I would suggest applying calendula to the soul.”

Valeska chuckled at her own joke, the sound rich and low as it chimed and bounced off of the lake nearby. Harper may have liked to think of herself as the darkness to her sister's light, but in reality, they were just two sides of the same coin, no one better or worse off than the other; she had learned to push past the dark woman's prickly exterior just as Harper pressed Valeska to see multiple sides of an argument. Harper did so love to play devil's advocate, which was a hard lesson for the High Priestess.

“Tell me about your old home, your family. Let us walk as we do; it is a nice day, and perhaps we may find some herbs along the way.”

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top