Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I wanna go there, and do a show there,

AW
03-31-2022, 11:11 PM
@Vendrussel

Their dark visage was nothing in comparison to the land, which seemed so much colder and darker in itself. Their search for fish, that had wandered from the southern shores, was likely to lead to no quarry here. Though their curiosity led them, deeper into the fog and the shade. They had never been this way before, not once. They wondered just what was up here by these cold waters.
 Perhaps bigger fish.
 Though the sea brisked wolf could not predict the size of fish they would run into, and as they pushed on into the low hanging fog that was beginning to rise, Malolo kept a watchful whale-eye on their surroundings. A sense of incoming laying over their shoulders, as if they should be expecting a beast to appear on the shore. Gasping and beached.

Their paws felt to make lighter and lighter steps as they crept further on, in the direction of the mountains. Salt-water whisked fur on their back prickling up as they did.
the staff team luvs u
Malolo is non-binary and uses feminine+masculine pronouns/terminology to refer to themself.
Adventurer
03-31-2022, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2022, 07:44 PM by Serenity. Edited 1 time in total.)
The woman looked through the fog, a soft shiver moving through her body. She wasn't entirely sure where she was and this place was rather creepy. As she walked through, she called out softly, hoping that nothing bad lurked in the area. "Hello? Is anyone there?" She kept her body still as she listened out, wondering if someone would answer. She thought she could smell someone out beyond the fog but couldn't really see them. She could hear their footfalls and slowly began moving towards them, hoping it wasn't someone who would attack her.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: a3e702c2-68a1-11ed-83fd-41e4c66def4c.gif]
Paladin
04-01-2022, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2022, 07:39 PM by Vendrussel.)
She swam from the depths of the water, from the sunken isle of the sepulcher and onto the beach of the brim.. Wet and damp, as the fog rolled in and taunted any that were near. She shook her fur from the water that clung close, and noted though — there was smells in the air that were not of salt, or prey she was used to. The behemoth's brim was only faintly tainted by Dragonford scent, but not enough where a true claim can land. It was no wonder so many came forth and ventured, and wasn't a surprise that the scent was not noticed.

She prowled through, droplets onto the sand as she raised her head high. Shadows within the mist, two strangers ; a male, and a female. One within a silence, but the other calls out in a wonder, "strangers," she called out, an ocean eye looking to both directions, "you are within the ford's hunting grounds," the voice with the slightest of threats, she held the faintest of smiles upon her face.

the staff team luvs u
04-03-2022, 03:57 PM
 Their ears flattened against their head. Were females just going to start popping out of the fog now? Perhaps they were sirens? Though, they weren't very good at singing, either of them. Malolo didn't feel very enticed or drawn in. Mostly bored. The masculine wolf could vaguely make out two shapes in the blanket of grayish white and squinted their bicolored gaze hard to see them.
 "I don't know her" Malolo gestured to the source of the first voice with their nose. It was true but, maybe explaining to this very strong sounding one that they were not in a group would put the other at ease a bit. Even if she did think they were together, Malolo would probably just let the women fight and take that as a chance to leave.
 Malolo had only intentions to explore and fish, not much else. This one spoke of 'the ford's' which, no matter if it were just a single large wolf or a single large group, the blue gray canine would rather not involve themself. If she wanted them to leave, they likely wouldn't fight that. Not worth the risk over some fish.
the staff team luvs u
Malolo is non-binary and uses feminine+masculine pronouns/terminology to refer to themself.
04-03-2022, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2022, 09:41 PM by Serenity.)
The voice of another caught her attention, though it didn't sound like a good one. Moving closer to the voice, she would see the two wolves, glancing between the two. Dipping her head in apology to the female, she would speak up, glancing over at the other when she heard their response. "I'm sorry, I didn't know these were hunting grounds or that there was even a pack here. I sort of just woke up here and don't know much about where I am." 

It seemed like the other wolf had no intentions of joining any pack, but Serenity knew better. Life was difficult for a lone wolf, more so in an unfamiliar land. "I hope I'm not being rude, but could you tell me a bit more about these lands?" 

She sat herself down as she looked at the female, trying to seem nonthreatening even if Serenity herself felt a bit threatened. She didn't know if the woman was about to attack them or not, but she tried her best to be cordial.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-04-2022, 01:04 AM
"Be wary, for war looms in this part of the woods. Others may mistake you as the enemy," if the others sought information, she so gave of the gravity of this part of the coast. A caution to the wind as she approached closer to gain a look, continuing her position as the more dominant one of the moment.. But noting the other sat, an expression she meant no harm and Vendrussel took that to heart ; but what of the other one, as she looked over to him within the shadows itself. She wasn't close enough to see his appearance.

"I am not so selfish to not let wolves pass," an ease to their worries — she would not fight them over the land. Especially if an intention was only to simply gather information then hunt.. Yet, if someone asked permission, she wasn't too opposed to such ideas. This land was an attempted claim of an hunting ground, and even she understood that was too weak. Factors as well, the ford may as well be too weak to fully claim ; but they don't know that.

"You are one of them?" she raised a brow to this gray, brown and white wolf, "many wake up within these lands, some without memories, some with. I cannot say if they are all like that, but there are many packs within the mountainous regions." She couldn't say all of them, as haven't met all their leaders.. But vaguely knows of the locations. Upon passing by to the coast, she could smell there was some within the east mountains, and of course a few in the mountains around them as well. Even one below — all these wolves really liked to claim the mountains, she noted with a inward chuckle.

"What of you, stranger," she turned her head to the man who spoke little, "are you someone who also woke up?"

the staff team luvs u
04-04-2022, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2022, 05:31 PM by Malolo. Edited 2 times in total.)
 Malolo was slowly making steps towards walking away, trying their best to avoid an awkward conversation, or situation. Their head low as they crept further and further away.
 Then the stronger voiced female spoke, right at him. Malolo turned their head sheepishly to meet eyes vaguely in the fog. A sigh left their lungs, ears flattening and lips curling into a cringe.
  "Who? Me?" Malolo questioned, pretending not to know she was speaking to them, and fixing their face to appear friendly.
 "Oh yeh know, doesn't much matter. I'm here regardless." As they pretended to care for conversation, though, the trickle of curiosity made way to their nose. Malolo questioned themself if he really wanted to continue speaking or simply fade into the background and scoot away while they were talking with one another.
 "Are you?" They asked, already groaning on the inside from regret.
the staff team luvs u
04-04-2022, 09:32 PM
It was clear to Serenity that the other packless wolf wanted nothing to do with this interaction. Because of that, she gave him little attention, figuring that, given the chance, he would leave. Her however, remained in a laying position, trusting the other shewolf to not attack her as she was also showing she had no want to attack either. With a nod, she would address the she-wolf. "Yes, that's correct." She would wait patiently for the small conversation between the other two to end before she spoke up again, speaking solely to the she-wolf. 

"Pardon my bluntness, but is your pack... accepting.. new members?" She held her breath slightly, hoping that she wouldn't come off as rude at all. She just really had no want to continue on as a lone wolf. She didn't know who or what was out in these new lands and really didn't want to figure it out alone. By no means was she scared or unable to fight for herself, but a lone wolf against a pack or even a small group was always a losing battle.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-06-2022, 06:08 PM
She hummed lightly, "I suppose that is true. Not many that arrive care much to their past regardless." She was one of those as well ; only remembering in vague thoughts on what had happened. She could remember her culture, and that she had a family — but not how she died, only that she knew in some way she had done so. Though brought back by the Ancients itself, Vendrussel took her own claim to the region, just as many others did. She could vaguely see that the male was a dark one, not exactly black enough to truly stand out within the fog as she could see him a bit, but enough to see a figure.

The dragoness turned to the girl, a smiling coming upon her face, "we are always welcoming members into the ford. Numbers are always in need ; though we have trials for the acceptance." If the other was truly interested.. She did not mind, and would whole fully welcome this as well. She didn't want to seem desperate, but they were in need of able bodies.. Especially after losing some. Not to mention she already mentioned war, Vendrussel gave the knowledge there was strife within their land.

the staff team luvs u
04-09-2022, 03:37 PM
 The other female, the one whom also was exploring like they were, clearly was more interested in joining their pack than they were. Malolo found most pack and group discussions a bit boring and, while they discussed, they found it a good opportunity to slip away in the fog.
 They would smile and act like they weren't doing anything if either of them looked their direction but, as their conversation went on, the blue gray wolf slowly made steps deeper into the fog. Until it shrouded them completely, the two women, and all they could hear was the sound of their voices.
 Their paws struggled not to step on or trip over jagged rocks in the veil of white, as any sudden sounds would properly alert the two that Malolo was escaping. Avoiding, really, any conversation.
the staff team luvs u
04-09-2022, 10:25 PM
She could tell the other creature really didn't want to be here, so when they started to slink away, Serenity wasn't going to stop them. The whole time, her eyes remained on the pack wolf though her ears twitched in the other wolf's direction. Hearing the woman's words though, she would nod slightly.

"That's entirely understandable. Whatever trials that I need to go through I will happily do so. I would like some more information on it though in case I'm about to risk my life or something." She wasn't against risking her life for the trials but she at least wanted to know about it first. 

"If you don't mind me asking, does your pack have anything specific that they stand for?" She knew packs didn't always have goals in mind per say, but she had known of some that did so she was rather curious.

the staff team luvs u
04-11-2022, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2022, 06:21 PM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
She looked over to stranger who was gradually slipping away. It seemed like he was doing it to be unheard, without a sound and disappear to the fog itself, but wasn't so easy once already seen and heard. A gaze watched over him, "Farewell stranger, feel free to call for another visit." Not so cold-hearted to chase them away and rather enjoyed the company of many, strangers or packmates. Though it felt like she wouldn't see him for a while, or maybe never again.

Vendrussel's focus returned to the other, a curious one who thought seemed ready for anything. A valued wolf, she so thought — that many envied when waiting for loners to walk upon their doors and knock for a request, "loyalty," and she was ready to answer, "above all if loyalty and trust between each other. Where I come from, we believe within the old dragons, and hope to stand as they once were, and here I hope to show similar ways."

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2022, 08:49 PM
OOC consent to treat Malolo like they left

The woman turned her full attention onto the pack wolf in front of her, still sitting down as she seemed to trust this wolf wouldn't do anything. After all, it would be stupid to attack a possible new member. Nodding her head slightly at the woman's words, she would speak up a moment after the woman stopped speaking. "That's entirely understandable. I value trust and loyalty above everything else." That wasn't a lie, and finding a pack that did the same would be wonderful. Once she joined a pack, she had zero intentions of ever leaving unless something drastic happened.

"These trials you spoke about, I'd love to learn more about them and see about doing them if you have the time." She was very eager to join, wanting to find a place to stay and something for her to care about. She hated not having a purpose and this could give her just that.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-14-2022, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2022, 05:52 PM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)

She would watch the other from the corner of her eye until it seemed like his scent had left ; a part of her felt guilty for not providing adequate attention, and yet couldn't pass on the factor that someone was interested in the ford. But since he wasn't joining, she would need to at least make sure he appropriately left as there was a stand-still for a moment, while detecting his presence.

Losing a man, and someone needed to take their place even if he wasn't the most active of bodies — it was simply what they needed, members to provide a wall of dominance in case the other comes storming by in a vengeance. Vendrussel already had mentioned the war to the other, and it seemed she was prepared regardless ; at the very least, the brawls seemed tame for the meanwhile as the earth itself was changing and the skies above clashing.. Being an Alpha was harder then she would've liked, and wondered if was why, her original clan was so battle-hungry within the past.

She would hope not to go the same path ; but her efforts to remain a prideful dragon, and hold claim seemed to come at a cost. Something that definitely left Vendrussel to think about once even her own clanmates had confronted her about. She would not repeat it again, at least, so she hoped.

Though such thoughts crossed to her mind she smiled at the other, though more like a grin of an excitement, like a child finding a new toy, "I like your enthisuaim," the dragoness commented, as she looked away and over her shoulder — to the sea itself, "if you truly wish to join, follow me to beyond the sea." and there she would turn fully ; into the fog itself that covered the beach and the sound of waves before them, her paws splashing against it's wake as her body slipped into the eternal ocean.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top