Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
be swift, my fleeting heart

Afternoon Sunny/Clear
AW
03-25-2022, 10:20 PM
Her dark form had crept from the soft lilac purples and blues from the Lapis Nestle and out, to the Rocky Outcrops, where mice were abundant this time of year. The fox's yellow eyes and dark complexion were a refreshing shade darker than the surrounding earth. Just barely hidden in the way she slunk along, close the ground.

Their black nose did twitch to a scent most familiar. It smelled of grain and seed. A field mouse, chomping on the tip of a blade of wild wheat. She did stop to study it for a moment, watching as it filled it's small cheeks full and plump. Paws making barely a sound as they crept forward, behind the cover of the wind.

Dairinn's tail flew in the air as she did, fluffy and dancing. Her quick dash to the mouse was all but graceful, as she remained quite rusty in her skills. She missed the mate that would hunt for her and her pups but, knew well it was for the best to keep well on her toes. She did manage to catch the small creature, it wiggled and struggled within her maw before she clamped.

"Go raibh maith agat as do shaol." She whispered, a tradition taught to her when she was young, that she taught to her own pups. To thank a creature for it's life, it being granted to you for your own. The fox gentle returned the creature between her teeth and made a steady retreat. Just behind a large boulder, shielded from the sun and covered for the most part by the tall grass.

There she did eat, restoring her stomach that had been empty and aching. Yellow eyes occasionally looking up to study her surroundings, ears twitching to the wind.
the staff team luvs u
[Image: df2ns8w-5ab628f1-334c-4c0b-8042-fbeae5ac...N4PSnSEjWg]
Fox Mom
03-25-2022, 11:47 PM
Her nose twitched, scenting... mouse blood? And was there another scent? I wonder where I am and who's over there. Maybe that other creature can help me! 

Foxy began to move into a trot, going faster than before in order for the other to come into view. She heard whispering and knew she was close. 

"Hello? Is someone else there?" she asked. The other came into view, a dark fox with yellow eyes.
the staff team luvs u
⧫︎ Foxy ⧫︎
03-26-2022, 10:52 AM
At eye level it was easier to spot her, her dark form cradled in the shade of the rock. Her nose twitched, long before the other approached. The scent of field mouse and blood had shrouded her senses, long enough that the other had grown much closer than she would've expected.

She was getting old, she thought. Only a year old but, a season of being cared for felt long. The dark colored fox grew lazy in those times.

Thankfully the other did not immediately appear to be looking for trouble, and their orange, fiery color did put a smile on Dairinn's face. Such warmth was a kind reminder of her pups and her mate, such a beautiful color it was.

"Good afternoon, lamb." She chirped, her voice warm and soft as it always had been. Yellow eyes squinting and fixating on the other figure, studying her body language as she approached.

"Just I, I'm afraid." Dairinn continued before licking the blood from her lips and paws, tail curling around and brushing the ground softly. Her ears did perk towards the other, focused and ready.
the staff team luvs u
Fox Mom
03-26-2022, 03:26 PM
"Oh! It's alright, I've been longing for at least one other animal to talk to. I've been traveling for quite a while, with no company. It gets lonely." Foxy pawed the ground nervously as she talked, excited but cautious by finding another fox. 

Foxy noticed that the other sounded warm and gentle, and was slightly calmed. She remained alert, ready to run if needed. 

Maybe there's nothing to be afraid of. She doesn't look like she is going to attack or anything. Maybe I can settle down... 

"I'm Foxy! What about you?" she asked, hesitantly going closer to the darker fox.
the staff team luvs u
⧫︎ Foxy ⧫︎
03-26-2022, 03:56 PM
Her heart did go out for the other, their story, while brief, grew a motherly concern on her face. She shifted, less from the center of the shade and smiled.
"Please, come find shade from the afternoon sun." The fox offered. The sun could be powerfully warm when at it's midday peak such as this, she could barely imagine doing any traveling herself.

"It is so wonderful to meet you, dear." Her ear would flick and that warm smile shone when she heard the other's name.
"I am Dairinn." She could barely help from erecting her spine and puffing her chest ever so slightly, having some pride in her own name.

"Do you know where you came from before?" She asked, attempting to drum up further conversation.
the staff team luvs u
Fox Mom
03-26-2022, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2022, 08:03 PM by Foxy. Edited 1 time in total.)
"Nice to meet you Dairinn!" she barked. She noticed how Dairinn had shifted to make room for her in the shade, then trotted over to the other fox, grateful that she did.

It was getting quite hot, and even though Foxy was semi-used to the heat since she had left the cool southern climate with the lake, she was almost unbearably hot. 

See? There's nothing to be worried about. Dairinn is nice and welcoming! She hasn't attacked me yet or anything. Foxy reassured herself, sitting down and curling her tail around her legs. 

"I was at this lake in this cool southern climate, where this rat found me and helped me! He was very nice and told me where he heard the plains region was. Then, I traveled all the way here!" she excitedly barked.
the staff team luvs u
⧫︎ Foxy ⧫︎
03-27-2022, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2022, 06:31 AM by Dairinn. Edited 1 time in total.)
"Little Balm?" Her head turned to the side only barely. As she questioned. "My, you must be exhausted."
She gazed down at the field mouse she had only just began eating, it's flesh exposed and meat still plump.
"I journeyed far less in distance, would you like the rest of my mouse?" Dairinn offered, taking her paw and scooting it closer and towards the vixen. "I can always hunt again, I need the practice so, It's no trouble at all."

The afternoon bugs buzzed that warm buzz that Dairinn liked, it was her favorite part about being further out towards the plains. They chirped and she listened, their song like a lullaby. A chirp sounded different among them, just barely out of place, and so Dairinn perked her ear to listen. It chirped a song unlike the rest, beautiful in it's own right, and so clear. Clear enough for the fox to hear. The horned one did look upon her favorably, using animals to speak the word he wished Dairinn to listen to. Her smile grew, knowing so what he was wishing to say.

It had been a whole season since her mother passed and disbanded the old circle. The foxes among them having had grown old or simply moved on. Dairinn longed for that coven-ship, that sisterhood. She missed the moon meetings, the dancing, the rituals. She missed feeling as though the Triple Goddess herself spoke to her through the reflection of that old pond.
the staff team luvs u
Fox Mom
03-27-2022, 03:52 PM
"I guess so?" Foxy shook her head, saying that "I can hunt for myself, I don't want to be a burden or something to anyone. It's better hunting for myself, too! And it's fine, I hunted a little during the journey.

She noticed the longing in Dairinn's eyes and wondered what it was for.Maybe she had a family or a pack that something happened to? 

"If you wanted, I would love to hunt with someone! Would you mind hunting with me?" Foxy asked the other fox. She hoped it would get their minds off of stuff. And she did love to hunt.
the staff team luvs u
⧫︎ Foxy ⧫︎
03-27-2022, 04:06 PM
Dairinn smiled warmly to the other's considerate and kind thoughtfulness. Such a fox would make a fine member of the coven but, she waited for such matters and thought it best to get to know them a little better. Perhaps she could show her around this side of the territory and see if she liked it enough to stay.

Besides, a rare opportunity had presented itself as the other vixen offered a brief partnership in hunting. The silver and black fox nodded.
"Not at all, allow me to finish what I have so that it doesn't get snatched." She giggled, her body language playful and young. Only a field mouse, it wasn't much for a large meal. Its body was quick work for the hungry vulpine, and she made sure to cover the remains over with dirt and grass when she was finished. Partly to shroud the scent from other creatures, partly to pay respects and return the mouse from hence every creature came.

Still licking her chops, the fox stood and gently stretched her hind limbs. Nose to the wind.
"Lead the way, lamb. I'll let you know if I smell or spot anything."
the staff team luvs u
Fox Mom
03-27-2022, 04:49 PM
Foxy sat up and stretched, every one of her senses becoming alert. She sniffed the air and gazed around the surrounding area. A scent came up from the south, not that far away. 

"I scented a rabbit with the wind coming from the south. I think that there's more by how strong it is." Foxy quietly barked, starting to swiftly but carefully creep through the grass. 

Foxy's ears flicked as she crept, alert for the sounds of the rabbit. Her nose twitched as the scent became stronger. Her body was shivering ever so slightly, ready to pounce.
the staff team luvs u
⧫︎ Foxy ⧫︎
03-27-2022, 07:12 PM
Having taught her own pups to hunt, she silently observed with a smile. Reminding herself to only chip in when there's something useful to say. She only nodded and snuck alongside the other, her ears giving a suggestive twitch, giving the other the okay to head on.

The tall grass tickled her belly as she made her way around, paying less attention to the scent of rabbit and more attention on the other. She was a talented little vixen, and Dairinn grew confident and calm as she watched her. Knowing that the youngster was doing just fine, holding her own.

In a way, she reminded Dairinn of herself. Young and bright eyed. Just learning still but, capable on her own. She was coming to love this strange little vulpine, who had traveled all this way. As if fate had led her paw.
the staff team luvs u
Fox Mom
03-28-2022, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2022, 11:48 AM by Foxy. Edited 1 time in total.)
The rabbit scent was strong now, like Foxy was almost on top of the rabbit. 

Why is it so strong? Wait. Are there two different scents now? 

Foxy definitely scented two different rabbits. She continued to creep along until she came up to the edge of the grass. Foxy peeked out, and sure enough, saw two rabbits. She noticed they were turned around, and took the opportunity to pounce. She flew over, before the rabbits had the time to react. She landed on one of them, quickly biting its neck and killing it. 

Once it stopped squirming, she released it and said "Gratias tibi, lepus, pro munere vitae."
the staff team luvs u
⧫︎ Foxy ⧫︎
03-28-2022, 11:06 AM
The black vulpine observed quietly as the other made hush movements through the grass. Her leap like a powerful flurry of radiant orange. Dairinn's ears pinned back briefly at the sound of the rabbit's screech. It didn't disturb her, she just never liked that sound. It wiggled into her brain, it felt like.

Before she was able to say her praises and congratulate the vixen, soft and powerful words exited the orange one's maw. A look if bewilderment painted across Dairinn's expression.

She gave a few moments of respect before she spoke. "Was that a prayer?" They asked, with a gentle voice of curiosity. Approaching from Foxy's side, studying her delicate features as she did.
the staff team luvs u
Fox Mom
03-28-2022, 11:47 AM
Foxy was filled with joy at the fact she had caught the rabbit with no help. She was busy thinking about the catch and giving thanks to the rabbit for its gift of life when Dairinn spoke and cut through her thoughts. 

Foxy was shocked when Dairinn spoke, as she had known no other animal who could identify a prayer. 

"Yes, I just thanked the rabbit for its gift of life." Foxy thought about how Dairinn could tell it was a prayer. 

It must be because she was taught prayers too! 

"Could you tell it was one because you were taught to give them too?"
the staff team luvs u
⧫︎ Foxy ⧫︎
Formation
03-28-2022, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2022, 05:10 PM by Dairinn. Edited 2 times in total.)
Her tail gave a subtle flick of joy when the other revealed her secrets.
"Why yes, though our prayer is much different."

Leaning in, nose closer to the form of the limp rabbit upon the ground.
"Go raibh maith agat as do shaol." Her voice grew quiet, almost like a whisper, though loud enough for the vixen to hear. It would suppose their Dairinn's intrigue was well placed, let alone the way the crickets hinted at this one's uniqueness. A beautiful song, different than the rest but alike in its power and importance.

The vulpine raised her head, smiled and gave a thoughtful gaze into the fields and plains, towards the sky where the afternoon sun gave a beautiful blue glow she so rarely saw.
"We have many prayers." She began, looking back at the fox.
"We- I could even teach you them, if you dare to learn more."
the staff team luvs u
Fox Mom
03-28-2022, 03:42 PM
Foxy jumped up in excitement, eager to learn more about prayers like that. 

"Yes! I would love to! And also, do you have a pack or place you live? I have nowhere to stay.

I would love to be in her pack if it's like what she is like! 

"If that's okay with you?"
the staff team luvs u
⧫︎ Foxy ⧫︎
Formation
03-28-2022, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2022, 04:59 PM by Dairinn.)
The vixen was warmed by her childish excitement and her brief air of mysteriousness lifted with a bright smile.
"I am reforming an old coven." She began, being particular and meaningful with her words.
"We all practice such things as that, and more. If you are ready and willing to learn, we'd be more than happy to teach you."
Dairinn took a step behind her, in the direction of a patch of trees in the not-so-far distance.
"That patch of forest? That is called the Lapis Nestle. That is where you will find more like me."

Her warm smile turned to face the vulpine again, yellow eyes squinting for a moment.
"Listen close, young one." Dairinn stepped close to her ear so as to whisper, not wanting the knowledge to become far spread.
"Within the forest, towards it's center is a small pond. It is an old pond, hidden within a clearing. We will meet there when the moon becomes new and hides her face from the night sky. If you are there, we will teach you all that you know."
the staff team luvs u
Fox Mom
scroll to top