Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
high definition

Evening Sunny/Clear
P
Ecologist
03-25-2022, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2022, 07:43 PM by Elenora. Edited 1 time in total.)
      Nestled deep within the fields of flowers, Elenora laid. A calming aroma wafted through the air. The blooms in the spring whispering their pollen tones across the meadow. Bees landed from petal to petal, indifferent to the wolf in their field. Not that there was much she was doing other than watching as they buzzed by. Butterflies also found their way atop the flowers, dodging the breeze and hanging onto the petals. Foxes and other smaller predators were out, but hidden on the edges of the meadow. Which she paid little attention to. She was very noticeable, tan coat with different variants of flowers around her. Maybe, if her head was not up, she would vaguely resemble one of the deer around. But she was too busy with getting an eyeful of what came along with spring. Her ears twisted and flicked at the different sounds, finding their owners with a quick glance or two before looking back to the fresh blooms and honing in on their fuzzy, flying counterparts.
the staff team luvs u
elenora is transgender, male to female. so to strangers, she appears as a male.

[Image: ciLzP54.png]
Formation
03-26-2022, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2022, 07:01 PM by Persephone Florakis. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^

It was another beautiful day out in the Meadow though to get one that was not... well, it was uncommon. Since she had been calling the Plains her home, there had been little to none of ugly days. Though today she certainly ventured further than she usually did, deviating from her typical haunts. Kore paid it no mind nor worry, knowing that she had been drawn here for a reason. She had filled her thirst with the crisp water, her throat tingling from the refreshment as her fur began to dry from it's swim in the river for she needed to cross and unlikely was she to go around. The girl did not cut corners, not ever, so why would today be of any difference?

A soft thrumming of a hum came from her throat as she swept through the flowers, the multitude of colours settling her aura as she moved. She had loved this Meadow and though she rather loved the forest that neighboured her Old Magick conduits, there was something different about a meadow of flowers. It was only that they were held a more dusty tone of their fur and that they held their head up that she had not, out of the corner of her eye, assumed that they had been a deer enjoying the flowers. Wolf, definitely wolf, she thought. Friendly as always, the girl tilted her head and called, "beautiful, aren't they?" her voice was airy as it floated across the flowers.

Nothing was ever a coincidence. The Fates had drawn her here for a reason and the girl was eager to find out why. ^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
Ecologist
03-28-2022, 07:38 PM
     Elenora had known fields like this in the past. From her old life, bees were still around and butterflies alike. Not much differed from the world in the natural sense. Though some different colored and patterned butterflies were to be seen here rather than in the Lapis Nestle she had frequented before this. She took note as well as she could. With her being as big of a creature as she was - to the bugs, it was hard to get too close. But sometimes, out of luck, they would land close, sipping nectar and giving their wings a rest. Though she could tell that would not be around much longer. As soon as the sun started to set deeper into the west end of the sky, the bugs started to find their way back home and let the nighttime crew of incests come out. 

Observing the smaller, winged creatures around her, she had not noticed someone else walking in the distance. But it would not be long before her voice reached Elenora's ears. 'Beautiful, aren't they?' The voice was not threatening, more of a greeting, kind nature. It made her twist her head until she found the culprit. She found herself fully unfolding and pushing herself up into a sitting position, not wanting to seem weird for creeping in the meadow - which she probably looked quite odd with her head sticking above the flowers. "Very..." 
She answered, with a look around, making sure that there wasn't an entire pack surrounding her. Because of the potent scent of the flowers, there was much to be hidden. But she saw no one except for the woman. "I don't think I've ever seen so many colors in my life... All together, in one area." She spoke, shaking a thin layer of pollen and dust from her pelt. Her azure eyes found the other clinging onto her. She was beautiful. Tiny and slim. Whereas Elenora was too tall for her own liking and scrawny, which meant for awkward steps and tripping pretty frequently. She tried not to stare too much, but found herself looking at Kore and the flowers that brushed at her legs. 
the staff team luvs u

Formation
03-28-2022, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2022, 07:01 PM by Persephone Florakis. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^

It was easy to get lost in beautiful things. Kore often found herself drawn, much like everyone else, to the natural wonders of the Earth and this place was no different. Otherworldly in the sunset, the warm glows bouncing off the colourful petals, the Meadow was a sight to behold in itself. If one were to add the fluttering of Fireflies in the distance, well... it changed the game. The other wolf unfolded themselves and drew themselves up to their haunches, more wolf than deer now though still as naturally attractive as before. The sunset illuminated their tawny fur and Kore's smiled grew in warmth at the agreement, the other going on to mention how it was likely the most colours they had ever seen.

"Oh, they certainly put on quite the colour show," she mused softly as she drew her head down to touch her nose against the petals to engulf herself further in the floral aroma. "I find myself thankful every day I am not allergic to their smell," Kore laughed gently as she peered over to the other wolf. Like Caera, they seemed quite tall and it made her smile all the more, thinking that Caera would like this one. "My name is Kore," each day she crept closer to calling herself the strong, balanced name she had been born with. "In my head I call you Fawn, so prettily coloured like the deer and from a distance, you rather looked like one," the girl mused warmly. "What do you call yourself?" She asked airily, gently moving through the flowers as she tickled her legs against them, her features serene as she hummed.
^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
03-30-2022, 09:19 PM
      Raised from the ground and now able to see all that was around her, Elenora took a sweeping gaze of the meadow once again. Mixed within the floral attire, berries were also tossed into some of the greener bushes. This place was a bounty of collectables which made the doe-like woman think of Err and how much fun he could have here. Maybe she would bring him one day if he agreed to take another vacation away from his pack. Tanned ears face back to the beautiful draw that comes from Kore's lips. Then, her head follows in suit, turning her attention back to the women. She nodded at her statement. The flowers did put on a show. The blooms and their counterparts, incests buzzing from flower to flower. And all the other wildlife that the berries coaxed into the flower field. It was certainly a beautiful place. One Elenora could watch for hours without tiring of the drifting patterns. "That, indeed, would be an awful fate." Elenora murmured back. To be allergic to the flowers - that'd be dreadful. She'd never thought about being allergic to them before and sent a brief prayer in the back of her mind, to whomever might be listening, that she too was glad she didn't have an allergy. Even if the pollen built up in her nose from time to time and cause her to sneeze.

When the stranger introduced herself as Kore, the first wave of anxiety that had hit her rolled away. They weren't so much of strangers now. As soon as Kore mentioned her fur was pretty, a few giggles left her lips as she looked away, trying not to make direct eye contact. Especially since she was blushing - not that anyone could tell through the peach fur on her cheeks. If she were back at home, she wouldn't have taken the compliment as anything other than something she already knew. The only reason they'd kept her around so long, despite her weakling attitude and little grace, was due to the perfect patterns of her pelt. But here, it meant nothing. It was just simply fact that she resembled a deer. Nothing tying her to the perfect piece of a puzzle that took generations to make. Just compliments. "Fawn? I like that... and thank you.." Even if it wasn't her parents or others in the cult, it still felt odd taking the compliment for it. But she would learn to get used to it. No one here seemed to know of who the Dádýrahöfn, which meant she was safe. She looked back to Kore,
 "Elenora, but most of my friends call me Nora, or El! Whichever is easier to remember." Without a genuine reason, a thought popped into her head and her head tilted to the side, staring at Kore. "You remind me of a red fox. Sort of." She deemed. 
the staff team luvs u

Formation
04-02-2022, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2022, 07:01 PM by Persephone Florakis. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^

She agreed and Kore found something familiar of her, not that she had ever met her before in physical form but it was as if her soul felt some sort of homage with her. It wasn't so much that the territory would be here in this lovely Meadow so an allergy to flowers wasn't to be deathly but the territory still held it's petals and thus, being unable to smell even those would be a nightmare. "Elenora," the girl cooed as she waved her tail behind her, happy and liking the precious name that she bore. "Beautiful name, sweetling," she stated warmly, her eyes twinkling with delight. It was easy for Kore to fall into step with others, it came naturally to her but when one felt so familiar to her, it was almost as simple as breathing.

A red fox! Kore giggled as she danced her paws upon the earth, "I will take that as a compliment!" Foxes were of her Lore, her culture, so to be thought to remind someone of one was certainly not an insult. "Perhaps we might be the Fox and the Fawn, then," she giggled. "Or perhaps Vixen and the Fawn," she tried it on her tongue but giggled at the end, they were silly little names but it was fitting, really, wasn't it? Though really Greet was much more the vixen than she, so Kore would be happy to be called Fox, if she so wished to. 

"Foxes are weaved into my culture and my Pack will certainly hold the same weave, so I find myself quite partial to being reminded of one," Kore revealed with a grin, vibrant and warm. ^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
04-04-2022, 07:30 PM
      Nora's tail fell in a pace behind her, waving back and forth with delight. It wasn't puppy-like, in the sense that it wasn't out of control, but an elation that she felt simmered down into a small waver. The little envy that she felt had been washed away, not even a thought in her head anymore with how sweet that Kore was. The jealousy that she felt, if ever, washed away very quickly. Everyone had their beauty, something that set them apart from the rest, and just because Elenora was not in the body that she wished, did not mean that she was not just as unique as the rest of them. It seemed that even Kore's tail was untameable; wearing the same wagging of Elenora's tail. A fit of giggles left Nora's lips when her name was complimented. The lingering heat in her cheeks did not leave; they reddened with the heat that came from the sweetened words from Kore's lips. "Th-Thank you!" She struggled with any type of compliment. Even though it filled her insides with butterflies, there was also an endless drop to the feeling. The words were validating in a way that she had never felt in her youth. 

Azure eyes noticed the little dance that Kore did when Elenora mentioned that she reminded her of a red fox. The girl's smile brightened. It was nice to find others that found joy in life itself and didn't bear too much of the weight that the chains of life caused. Youth radiated from the girl in front of her. "Y-Yes!" She stammered at the notion that Kore would take it as a compliment. In some cultures, fox had meant worse things. But Elenora had always found fox full of beauty and grace. Who, when needed, could also bear their fangs. "I think foxes are... bewitching." She explained. They always seemed unbothered by life around them, living in their own worlds because they knew they could handle life when it came their way. Just like a herd of deer. While one alone wouldn't survive, a group would. A great grin had been bestowed on Elenora's lips as Kore came up with nicknames for the two of them. She giggled along with the last suggestion; though either would very much fit Kore. "Vixen and the Fawn... It's perfect!" 
The soft giggles faded, but the joy in her did not. 

There was a bubbling feeling in her chest. She'd met someone else with the same cheeriness, and the same feeling erupted in her. Maybe it was just being with her own kind; there was something about it that was euphoric. A sense of belonging that she hadn't known. Then, Kore mentioned her own pack, where foxes were woven into the fundamentals. Her eyes brightened, "Really? Wow! It seems there are a few cultures that follow animal kind around here... You're leading a pack around here?" She asked, with her eyes studying the other, "Could you tell me more?" For mutiple reasons she wanted to know. She wanted to learn what was around here, but also, she wanted to find a home. Being alone for too long, well, when one deer fell away from the herd, they didn't last long. 
the staff team luvs u

Formation
04-10-2022, 07:01 PM
^^

Bewitching.

Kore found that she liked that word and her smile became both warm and mischievous as her tail thumped with approval, "quite like in my culture!" She declared with a jovial tone to her airy vocals, her mismatched gaze vibrant. "They are thought of as cunning and wise, adaptable and intelligent," Kore divulged with a tilted head, watching Elenora with twinkling eyes. Elenora might not even find it interesting yet with the way the discussion had gone so far, Kore thought that Elenora might not be too bored. The girl took quite a lot of delight in the way Elenora lit up at her words, her laughter tingling the girl's ears with joy.

"Of course!" She chimed with warmth, never not willing to talk of Greenwood and what she hoped to achieve. "I aim to bring the culture in which I was brought up in to it though those that do not wish to practise the same beliefs need not worry, they will not be forced but it is expected to respect those that do," Kore stated, thinking that it would be lovely for all to find at least a piece of home within her culture but she would not force them, so long as they still respected what the Pack stood for. "I believe in balance," the girl mused, "balance in life, in nature, in love and in all else. We must respect the world we live in or else we will find ourselves without a world at all."

She could not fathom a world where she treated nature with anything other than respect and awe. "We will have festivals and celebrations, ones that have meaning. The Gods watch and they play and in their game we participate but we do not only live for their fun. Our own lives are here, to be lived to their full potential. The stars may have written my path but they have not given it so decisively," she strayed from it here and there but then she believed that if she did, it was meant to happen. Everything happened for a reason and very little was simply chance. "Old Magicks are rampant in these Plains," Kore cooed softly with admiration clear in her voice. "It is not for all," she added gently, "but for those that wish to have a home with me, explore their means, their lives and all that come with it, I welcome." It was a lot to learn and take in if one wanted to truly understand the culture that Kore brought with her but she was willing to teach those that asked and become a home for those that simply had some of the same desires.
^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
Content Warning
04-11-2022, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2022, 08:35 PM by Elenora. Edited 1 time in total.)
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Gender Dysphoria

'Quite like in my culture!' Elenora nodded with a gleaming smile that overtook her lips. It was nice to see that it was not only her and her culture that valued animals. Many others took lessons from them that their own kind could not teach. She found that those who learned from others, especially animals that were not of their own species, seemed to be kinder beings all in all. Because they could accept that things were not all they were in the world of a wolf, but there was more beyond, and they were open to learning. Their hearts opened to the possibility of more in the world. 

And when Kore seemed delighted to tell Nora more about her own culture, the doe sat in the floral meadow, letting the mass of flowers entangle her in their scent and soft petals. She nodded along with the woman's disclaimer. That not all would be forced into believing what she did, but it might go smoother, and they might get along better if they did. She understood where the woman was coming from - if the belief was too tight, contracting around one's own belief, then they might be forced to leave for their own well-being or sanity. She admired the woman's openness to having those who wanted to join, but maybe did not believe the same thing. It was generous of her, really. It made Nora's blue eyes focus in on her, like she was watching the sun as a person, and the world revolving around her. 'I believe in balance.' She preached, having Nora on the edge of her seat, because if they could not have balance, where would they be? Who would they be? To be kind to those around them meant that kindness would be returned. Elenora knew this. Well, rather was taught a different way, but edited it to fit her perspective, what she believed. In her home, to only treat those with kindness that deserved it, and above all, the hooved creatures that graced their home - and for that, they would stay. Elenora adapted to treating everyone with kindness. Therefore, was the odd one out when she started helping the less fortunate of the pack. 

Kore mentioned that they would have celebrations and festivals, but explained that the meaning would be for them and not only the Gods. Which was new for Elenora. Had she ever had fun just for herself? Sure, in this new life she put herself first but... before... She took a breath, eyes shining as she watched like an atheist being turned into a righteous man. "That sounds... absolutely enchanting. A life like that... Lived... for ourselves. In the limelight of the Gods.. Does... your religion have many gods?" She asked, in a soft tone, as if she had been calmed by the thought. She, too, had gods back in the cult. Some were cruel and unfair, most of them ethical in their own malevolent way. The ones she had been taught about, anyway. There was one she had overheard the healer of their little cult speaking about, but never was it firmly implanted into her mind as one of the supreme gods. Maybe a lesser one that wished for more peace. 

'Old Magicks are rampant in these Plains.' Old Magick? Elenora had not heard of such a thing. She tilted her head to the right side a little, in question, "What do you mean by magicks? Something gifted by the gods?" She asked, confused. She had not heard of such a thing. Nature was what it was, a cycle of life. And that was the most she knew of the natural world.

Kore's words fell over her like a ton of bricks. Wasn't this what she wanted? To live a life all her own, explore who she was and the meaning of all of it? 'I welcome.' The words flowed so coherently from her mouth, like a mother teaching a lesson. Elenora nodded, slowly. "Would you even take in someone like me?" She asked, her words as soft as a dove's coo. Then, looked up fully at her, with her shoulders somewhat hunched, as if she had become shrunken at the thought. "I am not what I.. seem.. I'm.. female." She didn't know the right words, or how to tell someone she barely knew. But she couldn't pretend again who she was not. She didn't want this life to be like that. Lying to everyone and convincing herself she was who she was born as. But no, not in this life. "Not even my own gods understood." The murmur sounds defeated, exasperated at the thought of it happening again, in this new life. She didn't know if her heart could take it. Even with all the kindness in Kore's words and aura, was this something that could be overlooked? Not many saw it as a good thing, like an abomination that should be shooed. There was only one wolf who understood, and even so, she was wary about telling whoever. She knew that not all would understand. But looking at Kore, she hoped she would. 

the staff team luvs u

Formation
04-21-2022, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 08:20 PM by Persephone Florakis. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^

"Oh, there is a whole flurry of them," she divulged in answer, ears perking at the question. "I do not believe any God is inherently good or bad. One must look at the reasons behind them before they cast their judgment," where was the balance if she believed in black and white and not the shades in-between? "Just the same as I think about every other being." Kore was not here to judge one based on their first emotions, just the same as she was not here to judge based on others opinions.

She liked to making her own findings.

The other tilted their head, curious and likely a tad confused as she asked their clarification. Kore grinned broadly, thumping her tail merrily as she said, "Old Magicks is the very first magic, primordial and greater than any other. It is the rawest type of magic that can exist, surpassing even the powers of the Gods. Neutral in its stance. It is the very nature that surrounds us all, every day." Her voice was serene as she explained, her mismatched eyes twinkling with delight to get to be able to answer Elenora's question. 

Kore would hum softly as Elenora seemed to wilt, their question settling in the air and she knew then that the other had felt the sting of rejection, of not being believed in. "I do not take it upon myself to judge you for something that is simply you," the girl would then rise and gingerly step towards the other, wading through the flowers as she stilled near them, a soft smile upon her features. "Someone like you is kind, fun and lovely company. How could I not desire to welcome you to my home?"
^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
Ecologist
04-25-2022, 01:52 PM

The statement that Kore had made had then been expanded in her mind. 'A whole flurry of gods? How many? Limitless?' It was quite the thought. One that could send a wolf into an existential panic. But for Elenora, the question was interesting. She wondered if other gods had even thought about her, believed in her. Even when she was home, stuck in one place, had one of them been rooting for her? Elenora's eyes found Kore's when she spoke of the actions and thoughts behind the gods. She nodded along, then trying to think of the actions behind her previous gods, the ones that she had grown up in fear of, and in prayers. Some graced and others cursed. The woman found herself aimlessly staring into the other, as if another part of her mind and heart had just been expanded in the mere moments talking to this stranger she'd just met. "You have quite the way of thinking... I never would have thought about... any of this. Thank you." For making her more aware, more empathetic to the gods above them, and for those mere morals on the ground. 

With her perception of 'old magicks' expanded, Elenora took a wide view of the flowers that surrounded them, and the power that nature held; building the natural world from nothing more than raw material of itself. Letting them all stand here, in its glory, with little else in return. Stronger than even the gods that existed in a different dimension than them, only crossing it when they deemed fit. "Oh, wow... That is very magical... I, again, never would have looked at it that way!" The woman's eyes fluttered around, looking from flower to flower as bees buzzed atop the food given to them by the earth. How animals lived and thrived because of mother nature's gentle touch and motherly guidance through a world they knew little about. But with a little observing... they could learn from. Elenora made it a point to watch when she could, even with the smallest glances, trying to learn something in the way that bees flew or how, when the weather changed, they seemed to disappear from the air. 

When all at once, she felt like a flower getting swallowed by the sun, Kore's words gently watered her, making her bloom up in a sun that could be harsh, judgemental, and met with swift heat. The words were like a cupid's arrow to the heart, striking her in midair and being lured to the words that had pierced her. 'Simply you...' She had been so caught off guard by someone else who could understand. Kore parted the way in between them, with ginger steps towards the flower that twitched in response to being exposed to the source of water, in her thirst for affection, kindness. 'Someone like you.... How could I not desire to welcome you into my home?' Was... Kore asking her to join her? "You... want me to join?" With that, her heart returned to her body and joy filled the petals of her face, lifting with a brightness once more. "How could I say no?! I have... so much to learn from you..." Her words were full of vigor as she took a step forward, meeting her in the middle with her wide smile. She was unsure she could say no to Kore... Just in her beauty, Elenora could not ruin her joyful demeanor and welcoming smile. Nor put a damper on the light that seemed to fill Kore. Somehow, she wanted to learn to be more like that. Even in the darkest moments of herself, the deeply seeded root of insecurity from her natural self. 

the staff team luvs u

scroll to top