Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Daddy Ain't at Home, No

Early Morning Fog
P
Nightwalkers
Hunter
03-24-2022, 08:08 PM
@Vengeance @Edith also welcome if chan wants

It hadn't been hard for him to find the scent, it was just as he thought. Edith had gone to look for their wayward father...or perhaps he had looked for them. Though he could only recall meeting the man once, never did he forget the smell of rot and blood that permeated his fur and the path he walked. Honestly, he had followed that scent more than his own sisters.

At first, he traveled quickly with a scrunched nose. Any time he stumbled upon a particularly strong scent made him reel back to resist the urge to vomit, but somewhere within the day or so's travel, he seemed to adjust, slightly if anything. He tried to be swift in his travels despite the unavoidable recoils. With one sibling gone it was only a matter of time before a mob formed once it was realized he too had left, though frankly, it had been a plan long time coming.

By the time he reached the dank shroud of northern woods, he could feel the weariness in his paws. Traveling was something he was used to but not at such lengths without rest or food. It was frustrating to admit so, at least to himself, but he would keep his head tall just as he was raised. He was almost positive this was the right place based on the reek, but his only experience with packs had been from his own...

He'd let loose a howl that seemed to echo even with his puppy vocals into the unsettling shadows. Was there something he was supposed to do or just wait around all day? He had never answered a call, nor had he really trailed to see what happened. Frankly, he didn't care and wolves just came and went so why bother interrogating their worth if they wouldn't stay?

the staff team luvs u
03-24-2022, 09:45 PM
Edith had barely settled in the mist before a call rang out to summon the Boss himself. A young voice... he pondered if it was one of her siblings who had come to bring her home before Célnes noticed one of her daughters were missing. It was a little soon for his liking for Edith to be given the choice to return to Elkshire or remain here and see what he had to offer for her growth, but maybe his claws were already dug deep enough into her psyche she would remain a little while longer still out of curiosity.

The call would be answered with a presence soon enough. Emerging from the morning mist, the earthen-toned behemoth eyed the lighter-coated boy with every step taken forward. “Are you Warwick or Calhoun?” The two names Edith had uttered before, the ones "chosen" by the elk were his first guesses of which one this was. The boy was recognized as certainly a part of Célnes' litter with him, but which... well... it didn't matter until today apparently.

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
03-24-2022, 10:53 PM
Luckily he wouldn't have to wait all that long. He may not be spoiled per say, but it was rare for him to have to wait for something or someone in the Crown. Already he recognized his father before the man left his mist. The stench crawled off him in tendrils bringing a grimace to his face. Calhoun. The boy answered easily despite his surprise.

For a man who never visited he thought he might not even be recognized, let alone his name remembered. You remember us then? His question wasn't pointed. Frankly he didn't care that his father lived elsewhere or that he knew little of him. It had never been stressed as a point to loathe him for his absence or that their family was...abnormal...but this was probably the least abnormal part of his family if anyone were to be honest.

the staff team luvs u
03-24-2022, 11:11 PM
He wasn't fond of the names Célnes had given them. They were too... how would he put it. "Gentle". Too normal for his liking when it came to his tastes. They sounded far too royal for his blood but he would deal with it for now.

“Edith spoke of you two.” So the boy wasn't special. He wasn't remembered by any means other than a coat colour on some child months ago. But now they spoke. Now they were curious and wandering around. Now they had a purpose to fulfill in life and Vengeance was here to see if he could guide any of them away from the life of sanctity and into this blight of his.

“Have you come to try and take her home?” A curl of his lip, a twitch in his ears to the side as he looked down on the boy with silent provocation for him to act. He dared the boy to overpower the fear Edith had for the Warlord, to coax her back to the safety and comfort of Elkshire and away from the back-breaking training that would soon come.

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
Adventurer
03-24-2022, 11:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2022, 12:48 AM by Calhoun. Edited 1 time in total.)
So Edith was here...and to think it was his idea to seek out their father yet she left without them! The boy scoffed under his breath hearing they had already been mentioned. What did she say? If she ran her mouth about them just to make herself look better she would have more problems on her paws than just their mother. They were supposed to be a team. Family.

What came next though made him openly laugh. Take her back? No, I came to see you. Mother doesn't spare many details and frankly, I'm finding our teachings a tad...repetitive. It was one way to put it at least. He held no ill towards the High Elk of course, but what Celnes said didn't always add up. @Cynefrid had opened a new set of doors about their dear religion and it seemed someone was changing a few rules.

For what reason he couldn't say, not with certainty at least, but he knew better to take every word offered on a shiny plate as the truth. Remus has been training us, but lately, he's been more concerned with our younger siblings. I thought I'd find my own teacher if he was busy. That and see what this magical other side was beyond the groves and forest, but it was less magical and more dark dank and nasty. Maybe their poor father had no access to a place to bathe.

the staff team luvs u
03-29-2022, 04:11 PM
“Nothing of importance.” He'd reply sluggishly. Even the thought of bringing up their diety "the High Elk" here in conversation disgusted him. Whatever Edith believed of her and her "chosen siblings" meant nothing to him and nor should it mean anything here.

The boy continued to speak and Vengeance couldn't hide the creaking in his composure as a faint smile ripped through his facade. A maddening glee filled him from the inside and radiated outward in an uncontrollable flame spurred on by Calhoun's words. Célnes had lost control of her children and a few were dribbling out of the cracks toward him.

Remus being mentioned also brought him enough pleasure to be reminded that the man was keeping up with his side of their previous agreement. “Know if you follow Edith you will be given no special treatment either.” He would not go into details of what those special treatments would be.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
03-30-2022, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2022, 09:47 PM by Edith. Edited 2 times in total.)
Edith had instantly recognized Calhoun’s voice. She had been in the middle of a hunt, and had been in the process of tracking down a rat. Since she had still not given in to eating elk, she was left to her own accord to find something to eat, and Blackwood Reach had slim pickings. Edith had already began to thin out some.

Edith dropped everything, foregoing a meal for now, and began to head towards Calhoun. She was still getting used to the lay of the land, especially with the constant blanket of mist that obstructed most of the familiar landmark, and it took her longer than expected to arrive.

Vengeance had beat to her the chase, and Edith had only heard their muffled voices as she approached. She stood next to her father, not know how her brother would greet her. ”Calhoun,” she greeted, slightly winded from her jaunt. Her stomach twisted uncomfortably, but not from her hunger. ”I can explain,” she added, frowning as she looked at him. Only Calhoun and Warwick could make Edith feel the way she felt now; she was anxious and eager, hoping that her brother wasn’t upset with her.

She glanced up at her father, flattening her ears. ”Father proved to me that Remus and mother cannot give us the training we need.” For a brief second, she remembered Vengenace’s flashing teeth and menacing presence—the fear she’d felt for her life.

”I was going to come back to get you and Warwick.”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-02-2022, 12:47 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2022, 12:48 AM by Calhoun. Edited 1 time in total.)
A nagging feeling chewed at the back of his mind at his father's response. It wasn't like Edith to mention them casually, if she had there was a reason, but it didn't seem he would be so eager to share what she had. No matter though, it seemed he was not against his curiosity. A brow would raise as ears perked to his expectations, Why would I get special treatment? It wasn't like he made a habit of visiting them. He didn't feel special, not to him, but he didn't seek his father's praise. Only the High Elk mattered in that regard.

I want to know more and learn what I can't at home. That's it. I'm aware you probably don't have the same views or beliefs as us. Unfortunate as it was, but Vengeance wouldn't have to spell it out for it to be clear to him. The way he held and carried himself was far different from what he knew from his mother. Speaking of family— Edith finally showed her face, but she seemed to linger at their father's side plagued with guilt. Maybe this was no brag then... She did feel bad about going ahead without telling them.

The young hunter would only stare with a twisted lip as he waited for Edith to explain further, I could have told you that. He thought it had been obvious to all three by now, but maybe that conversation had only passed @Warwick's ears. Mother was in a frenzy when you were not in by nightfall. She went out to look but she seems slower lately. You know how she's been complaining about those bloating pains or whatever. Frankly he just thought she was eating more than she needed lately considering she looked fatter and kept complaining. It was no wonder Edith slipped away without issue.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-04-2022, 06:50 PM
The boy would get no response out of him in regards to why he would expect any special treatment. The children were raised in a different environment than what would be found here in Blackwood. There would be no coddling or “understanding” of differences other than what was proven between members and their teeth. That included children no matter what blood they had coursing through their veins.

However, he was still curious to know what they were capable of. Célnes wasn’t the type of woman he would often check back with in regards to their children. She was weaker in stature than most of the Nightwalker women if not all. Certainly her physical genetics would taint the children with a lesser than desirable physical abilities. “There is no “probably”, we do not.” Nor would he ever consider bringing any time of Diety into his mist. Especially one that is normally seen as prey.

Edith approached and was watched with a side eye. She explained to her brother the sudden departure and Calhoun didn’t seem all too bothered by it. Instead what he said next is what caught the Boss’ attention. Bloating. “What do you mean by that?” He needed to know more. Suddenly the boy had something of interest and had the Warlord’s full attention.

the staff team luvs u
04-08-2022, 08:57 PM
No,” Edith disagreed sharply, ”You don’t understand.” This was so much more than Remus’ inability to properly train them. This was a matter of life and death. She didn’t want to get into the nitty gritty details in front of their father, but she wanted express the seriousness of it all. ”I could have died,” Edith supplied vaguely, stealing a quick at Vengenace. This was something they could divulge in further once they were alone.

Calhoun began to explain the fallout surrounding her dissapearence—namely Célnes’ reaction. ”She’s been crazy lately,” she agreed, regarding the bloating. Vengenace then cut in, undeniably interested, and Edith raised a brow. What was so interesting about Célnes’ gas issues?

”She probably just needs to fart,” she advised, twisting her face at the thought of their mother’s massive flatulance. It’d stink up the entire forest, and Edith was relieved that she wouldn’t be around whenever that happened.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-10-2022, 02:28 AM
The boy would only roll his eyes at his sister's dramatics. What would she possibly die from presently due to the lack of attention to be trained? Boredom? You don't need to exaggerate to sell me. I came to learn as well. As for Vengeance, well, he shrugged off his comment. As he said, he suspected as much even if it was unfortunate. Perhaps he would see the way of the High Elk one day, but attempting to cram it in their father's face seemed futile at the moment if he wished to learn what he wanted.

The High Elk would not fault him so long as his heart never wavered, he was sure of it. I mean what I said. She's been eating too much, now she's getting fat and complains about it. You would think if your body pained you for that long you would stop eating, but there were more than a few thoughts regarding his mother now circling his mind. While he still could not place it, he was no longer so quick to believe her word. She hid something, she had to be. Calhoun would only shrug as he tried to bring the conversation back once more, It's stupid. Anywayyyys, I want a teacher. Will I find one here or will you send me home?

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-12-2022, 12:41 AM
He’d side-eye Edith as she continued to press the matter of how she had found herself here. Not a smile, nor a frown would be pressed against his lips but instead utter neutrality. She could think whatever she wanted of their meeting - there was a possibility of anything had he desired to snuff out one of Celnes’ rats if Edith had continued to talk to him the way she did…

At least her instincts were sharp enough and to be wise to them.

Calhoun continued to be unbothered by his sister’s claims.

The boy brushed off her tales of their meeting and remained steadfast on his own reason for being here.

The topic of Celnes continued. Children will be children and more had to be investigated on the news of Celnes’ health. Had she really let herself go these past few months or was something else happening that would be an interesting turn of events? 

“You may join Edith’s training.” Half-distracted by the news of their mother, he was less interested in the children now and more or less thinking of who to send and scout out the goings-on in Elkshire. “She can show you what I had shown her. You two will be mine to train.”

the staff team luvs u
04-16-2022, 08:07 PM
”Whatever,” Edith replied to Calhoun’s dismissal, rolling her eyes. ”Don’t come crying back to me when you realize that I’m not being dramatic.” She huffed and looked away, frowning, as she tuned out.

Edith tuned in again when Vengeance said her name.”I will,” she said, turning to her brother. Although she was half-tempted to mess with his training, she knew that she needed her brother. Edith was alone here, outnumbered by their half-siblings, and she really did care about Calhoun. She was just feeling especially petty since he hadn’t heeded her warning.

the staff team luvs u
05-04-2022, 12:15 AM
As if I've ever cried. Their younger siblings surely, but he had never shed a tear as far as his memories recalled. Edith wasn't happy with him she wouldn't need to say it with the look she wore on her face. The hunter would only lightly roll his eyes as he closed the gap to bump his side to hers before pressing on. You heard him. What are you waiting for? Not him. Calhoun would continue his pace into the mist, only pausing to spare a glance back at the warlord. As always, it seemed his interest laid elsewhere than the children he spawned, but he would shrug the thought as he continued his steps.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top