Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
I'd love to (I'd love)

Late Evening Drizzle/Rain
P
Nightwalkers
Elkshire
Adventurer
03-20-2022, 09:34 PM

He had travelled through the sunset toward Elkshire's claim but never crossed through other than their doorstep of the budding wysterian forest. By now his children would be old enough to wander further away from their mother, and if @Remus has been doing as promised, they should be fairly strong now... well, at least a select few would be worth his time during this visit.

He would only roam the woodland seeing if one would come by this day. Not wanting to call out and alert the queen or any of her followers. He had no business with them after all.

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
03-22-2022, 08:55 PM
Edith often struggled with falling asleep. She felt much more productive during the night, and often slipped out while her family slept. There was something thrilling about seeing the nocturnal creatures emerge from the shadows; she had learned a few techniques watching the nighttime predators.

It was a quiet night—which was normal for the royal woodlands—and it was drizzling. Edith wasn’t bothered by it, and moved through the darkness as though nothing was happening. She didn’t have any particular plan for her outing, so she allowed herself to wander mindlessly. Edith had been walking for a while before a familiar stench filled her nose. She paused, face twisting, and she turned towards the smell’s source. Vengeance was here; with nothing better to do, she sought his company.

Edith didn’t know that much about her sperm donor biological father, and she didn’t particularly care to know much about him, either. All she wanted to learn from him was what it was like to be a warlord; she admired the power he held.

Her pace quickened once she spotted his silhouette up ahead, and she chuffed, hoping to catch his attention.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
03-22-2022, 09:41 PM
He had no other business here than to see if one of this own blood was lurking around. He would only spend a couple of hours waiting before returning home to the mist before someone less than welcoming would come to investigate his stench polluting their air.

His non-patience would be rewarded however as a chuff came to drag his attention away from the emptiness of he boring woods around them, and onto an almost familiar figure. One of a larger version of one of the children Célnes had introduced him to a couple of times many moons ago. One on their celebration of life, and the second at her borders when they were older.

He didn't move or make himself seem more inviting to a child. She would be treated just like anyone else despite her lineage and blood ties to him. “Which one are you?” A strange way to ask a name but he knew a handful of the group the queen had given to him... but to remember them back then was useless to him. Now that they were older, they had potential.

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
03-22-2022, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2022, 10:44 PM by Edith. Edited 4 times in total.)
”Which one are you?” Vengeance asked.

Edith looked up at him, keeping his pace now that she had caught up. ”It’s Edith … ?” she interjected in reply, looking him up and down.

”What are you doing here?” she interrogated in reply, after a beat, still bothered by his forgetfulness.

the staff team luvs u
03-22-2022, 10:49 PM
Her attitude here could be ignored. He didn't react at all to it other than pay special note to which one of the 8 little gremlins she was. Already becoming one of the more prominent figures in the litter seeing how adventurous she was and curious. Were the others roaming elsewhere doing the same or still clinging to Célnes' legs?

“Célnes does not introduce me as your father but welcomes me into your lives.” Something he doesn't quite understand on her part. “I am giving you the option to do with my presence as you please, now that you are older.” Was he? Or was he simply trying to gain more control over the kids, at least some that he could reach out to, than their mother would have liked.

“I would hate for you lot to bring my bloodline shame after all.” He'd lay out the bait to see if she would bite. How much of him did she inherit if any at all? The attitude she gave him previously could be of any average teenager living the cushioned life of a princess, now was time for the real test.

the staff team luvs u
03-22-2022, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2022, 11:10 PM by Edith. Edited 1 time in total.)
Vengeance carried their on without responding, which bothered Edith. She lifted a brow, listening carefully as he spoke.

”I’m not going to cause you any shame,” she cut in sternly, frowning. Her heart was pumping; he had gotten her all riled up in the matter of minutes. Edith didn’t realize how much power Vengeance already had over her.

”You only have three worthy children,” three chosen ones. ”Me, Warwick, and Calhoun.” The others? Pathetic. Edith felt the rush of adrenaline spiking her blood. She didn’t know why she had to prove herself to him, all she knew was that she had to.

”We were chosen by the High Elk—we will always be His favored.”

the staff team luvs u
03-22-2022, 11:25 PM
“That is for me to decide.” He pulled away. Broad shoulders square to the child who was said to be his daughter. Most who were not birthed in the Nightwalkers were to be ignored and left to be raised or perish solely at the woman's, their mother's paw. This was different however. They were a part of a pack he had helped bring their roots into this world. They were his in on a pack who was a little too close to his borders and sharing possibly any prey and maybe... claiming a little too much land for liking.

Célnes' crown was getting a little too big and he was here to prune it.

“I do not bow to prey, your 'High Elk' has no say here. What do you wish to do with your life, Edith?” He would be damned to have some elk coveting children giving him a bad name. Elk were food, future shit to return to the earth and nothing more.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
03-22-2022, 11:42 PM
There wasn’t a need for Vengeance to decide whether or not they were worthy. The High Elk had already made his choice for the Warlord, and Edith believed Him wholeheartedly. ”He has already decided,” she rebutted, her voice firm.

Suddenly, Edith saw the red flags through her rose-colored shades.

She gasped, feeling her body tense and her blood boil. ”He is not prey,” she spit through gritted teeth. ”He is … everything! He’s responsible for life itself—we wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for Him!” How could he be so ignorant? So … stupid? Especially when the High Elk had been so gracious to bless him with such beautiful colors! He was ungrateful.

Edith had expected more from Vengeance.

the staff team luvs u
03-23-2022, 12:01 AM
He had struck a nerve. The girl's temper flared and there he could see it. The little flicker of light that was him. That made her his child and all he had to do was harness it or snuff her out completely if she would prove to cling to the mother's skirt closer after today.

You would not be here if it were not for Célnes seeking children from me.” He corrected with ears folding back proudly. A crown of thorns. A demonic glance from beneath his height and mass. “And I can take it away just as easily.” With his he lowered his head. Predatory in his gait as he encroached on her personal space.

He was power. Not some imaginary Elk they prayed to.

“Thanking this being takes away from the greatness you can become.” A lip lifted in disgust at the thought. All he had done was thanks to his own damn might.

the staff team luvs u
03-23-2022, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 12:37 AM by Edith. Edited 1 time in total.)
“You would not be here if it were not for Célnes seeking children from me.” Vengeance corrected.”And I can take it away just as easily.”

Edith’s forewent her pride, feeling the solemnity behind his threat.”I—” she stammered as she slunk onto the rain-gorged floor, knowing that words would not save her now. As he advanced, she backpedaled, trying to keep just out of her reach, realizing that somehow she had became the prey.

”Thinking this being takes away from the greatness you can become,” Edith was scared, confused, and unsure how to answer Vengeance. Still, she knew that she needed to say something.

”How?” was all she could manage, unable to hide the quiver that shook her voice. Her heart hammered in her ears, and she avoided his stare; she had never been so scared.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-23-2022, 12:44 AM
This was more like it. Her bravado was broken. All that was lacking was piss streaming down her leg to complete the fear that he saw, that he smelled radiate from the girl's young body. Break them down, build them back up. There was no better way to gain a foothold on anyone than that.

How? She manages to ask. The doorway he would slide into as it creaks open. He would step forward, circling around her this time and giving some space for now. He would angle his posture toward where Blackwood Reach sat, waiting for the children to roam a little closer to for his greedy, jagged claws to sink into.

“Come to Blackwood Reach, and I will show you.” The baritones of his voice smoothed its edges as he spoke now. “You may return to Elkshire at any time, but as my daughter, I will make sure you are greater than any God. A devourer of Gods, like your father.”

the staff team luvs u
03-23-2022, 01:02 AM
Edith felt a some relief as Vengeance gave her space, but it wasn’t enough to completely forego her deeply-rooted fear. It would take more than space to calm her down. She remained on edge, watching and following him as he slowly circled. In all the questions that had come to mind, one stood out as she looked death in the face: where was the High Elk now? Especially when she needed Him most? She felt suddenly bitter; why hadn’t he come to save her?

She was offered promises of strength and power that she knew wouldn’t be attainable within the woodlands. Edith and Vengeance were alike in that aspect; they wanted power and greatness.

”Okay,” she answered, her voice smoothing despite her fear. Edith didn’t consider the consequences of her decision, but she did consider what would happen if she had rejected him. She had only seen a glimpse of what he was capable of, and she didn’t dare to see what was happen if she further provoked him.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-23-2022, 01:30 AM
Had he known just how much of an effect he had on Edith, he wouldn't have been able to keep the straight face he had now. To know he had completely shattered her world in a matter of moments. From defiant to obedient, he could only assume that the promise of power more than she could imagine their "God" could offer is what pushed her curiosity.

Oh how the world will open up to her now, he thought.

Perhaps she would miss the flowers and bright open air of Elkshire after finding herself within the mist. Then again, the glowing mushrooms of the northern woods might pique her interest. “We will be there by morning, keep up. Your training starts now.” With that, he began to walk. No faster or slower than usual. How often did she wander he thought? Was she capable of walking over night without fatigue?

They would soon find out.

the staff team luvs u
03-23-2022, 01:55 AM
Edith’s fate had been sealed, and her mind began to reel. It was alarming how quickly her core beliefs had been dismantled. She would have time later to comprehend everything that happened. For now, all she needed to focus on was surviving. With her training underway, and her father stalking away, Edith scampered after him on unsteady legs. It would be a long night, and she wasn’t sure how long it’d be until they reached their destination. All she knew was that she needed to stay in her father’s good graces; she never wanted to make him that angry again.

Edith—figuratively and literally—turned her back on everything she had ever known. She strode alongside Vengeance, keeping pace as best as she could. They would travel through the night, much further she had gone before.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top