Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Entrance

Early Morning Partly Cloudy 50° F
AW
03-15-2022, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2022, 05:39 PM by EclipseStar. Edited 2 times in total.)
At first, there was nothing. Then, there was a pinprick of light. A longing for that light. The longing deepened until it was ravenous, consuming every thought. The light grew bigger and bigger till it was everywhere. Then, slight cold penetrated fur, and eyes opened. 

Where... am I?  Eclipse thought. They looked around and found they were on the shore of a lake, paws partially in the waters. Where was I before this? I don't... remember getting here... or anything at all...

"Hello? Is anyone there?"
 Eclipse asked out loud, searching for any animal around, getting up from lying on the ground.
the staff team luvs u
☯ Eclipse ☯
03-18-2022, 12:46 AM
He awoke suddenly, getting up and blinking as he tried figuring out where he was. He then spotted another wolf, all black with smokey blue parts. 

"Hello?" the other wolf asked. "Is anyone there?

Should I go over there...? Ask where we are? Ask who they are?... he thought, scratching his left foreleg with his right. Yea... Who cares what happens? I remember being really good at fighting... I can easily defend myself if needs be! So I'm just gonna go over to them and yeah. 

"Yes. I am." Spring barked as he made his way over to the other. "Who are you? Where are we? What are we doing here?"
the staff team luvs u
♥ Spring ♥
03-18-2022, 05:06 AM
 The waters had thawed and evened. Many animals had been drawn to this place. For the prey-types, Kevin had heard it was a sacred land, a giver of life in a thwarting landscape of decay and waste.
 Kevin didn't think so. Good-spirited as always, he wandered toward The Watering Hole with a limp in his hind left foot. It may have seemed like he had injured it or bruised the paw, but he had not. Rather, it was the hip itself giving him trouble in the chill morning air.
 When he came to the waters, he didn't expect to see two unfamiliar faces.
 They were both far larger than he, but Kevin had long practiced a routine of feigning comfort. He was a coyote. A hated kind of wolfdom like them, but he had learned as they came to judge after they looked upon him. It was usually quick to see within moments whether a wolf might tear him apart or speak freely with him as their own. Such similar markings were they that the wolves seemed related.
 From the brief words he caught, he could tell where they had come from.
 “I sense, my darlings, that you are new here?” he asked, moving close enough for them to hear, but far enough that he could run if necessary.

the staff team luvs u
03-18-2022, 10:44 AM
"New? Yes, I think we're new..." Eclipse trailed off, turning to the landscape. 

Where are we? This place is unfamiliar to me... they thought, shivering. 

"Where are we? Who are you? How did we get here? Why did we come? What is this place?" Eclipse asked. "Oh! Sorry, it all just flooded out on me. But really, where are we?"
the staff team luvs u
☯ Eclipse ☯
03-25-2022, 10:23 PM
He had been wandering for quite a bit, how long he couldn't say. Where the heck am I? 

He came to a stop at the top of a hill sloping down to a lakeshore. Finally, some water! The last I had feels like a long time ago! he thought as he began trotting down the slope. 

As he was trotting down, he began hearing voices of other animals talking. Who is that? Shadow wondered as he changed direction, towards the voices. He began getting the scents of the voices as he trotted. 

"Um, hello?" Shadow asked as he neared. "Where are we? And who are you all?"
the staff team luvs u
✿ Shadow ✿
03-26-2022, 05:33 AM
Sorry I wasn't sure if you were going to post again with @Spring - we can treat post order as a bit ad lib since you're playing them all!

There were a whole lot of questions. Then someone new. Three wolves. Three of them. All at once.
 Kevin would have had every right to run at that moment. Three wolves was plenty to run down and kill an old coyote. Every last one of them looked related, oddly enough. He wondered if they were all siblings and had been planted here as a joke to him. He frowned.
 “All in good time lovelies!” Kevin stalled, standing tall despite the shake in his knees. He danced about his paws, trotting slightly closer to the group with a wary sharpness in his gaze.
 He made a face at all of them in turn, like they had each done something wrong. Wrinkling his nose, he snorted, then grinned. “The "where" is easy enough — this is The Watering Hole, part of a vast array of plains that stretch a very long way thataway” — he pointed with his nose north — “aaaaaall the way down thataway”. The sentence was ended by him waving his nose south.
 “But my guess is that, like so many before you, you beasties woke up here and have no idea why.” He paused for effect. “Well, that I can't answer. I can only point you in a direction you wish to go.”
 “Oh! And, of course, manners. My name, oh blessed ones, is The Debonairess. But you may call me Kevin.” He smiled big and wide, then took a great bow near the water's edge.

the staff team luvs u
03-26-2022, 08:30 PM
"Well, hi Kevin! I am Eclipse, though I remember also being called the Moonsinger." Eclipse noticed the looks at the three of them and the wariness in his eyes. 

Why's he- Oh. We look similar. And he's wary of us. Like he's afraid we might attack him... Eclipse moved a teensy bit closer, then laid down, showing him their belly and that they wouldn't attack. 

"And we're not siblings or anything, we just somehow look similar." Eclipse barked as they thought some more about the situation, then looked to the other two wolves. "What about you guys? What are your names?"
the staff team luvs u
☯ Eclipse ☯
03-26-2022, 08:39 PM
"Well, I am Spring. I also remember being called something else. I was called the Lifesinger." Spring said this as he laid down too. "And yeah, we're not related or anything. I just woke up, strangely enough.

It does look like Kevin was wary of the three of us. Why is that? 

"And you are?" Spring tilted his head towards the third wolf, who was blackish and dark grey.
the staff team luvs u
♥ Spring ♥
03-26-2022, 08:47 PM
"Well. I am Shadow." Shadow barked as he simply sat since he wasn't as easily trusting as others might. "Called the Darksinger.

He got up and moved towards the lakeshore, stopping at the edge and bending down to drink. 

Ahh, that feels so good! Why didn't I do that earlier? Shadow internally sighed in relief. 

"Nice to meet you I guess." he barked.
the staff team luvs u
✿ Shadow ✿
Counsellor
03-29-2022, 01:22 AM
 Inching ever forward, Kevin listened to each introductory voice in turn. “Moonsinger? Lifesinger? ...Darksinger?” Kevin blinked and shook his head, as though he was in complete disbelief.
 “Related or not, it seems to me with nicknames like that, you're all meant to be here together somehow,” he observed. That they had "just happened" to land here at the same time seemed impossible, but then, “I don't believe in coincidence.”
 Looking out across the lake, the coyote watched as a slight gust of wind blew across the surface of the water, rustling the reeds near to him. His nose twitched. Though he appeared more relaxed around the group of strangers, he was merely pensive, gauging what he thought the right next move should be.
 “If you three anointed ones are seeking others of your kin,” by "kin," Kevin really meant "other wolves," “then I'd suggest heading west.” Pointing with his nose toward the great mountain range that sat directly eastward, he gave a nod. “There are many like you there who will be equally curious about your purpose here,” he explained, even as one of the wolves took a much needed drink from the lake.

the staff team luvs u
03-29-2022, 01:51 PM
"Hmm..." Eclipse began to think, already deep in thought. 

Which direction should we go? Kevin told us to go west to find more wolves, but... why not try south? Yeah! Let's go south!

"Why not go south? Isn't there something down there? Like a forest or something?

There should be, right? 
the staff team luvs u
☯ Eclipse ☯
04-02-2022, 06:10 PM
Spring thought about this for a moment, before saying "Yeah! We should totally do that!

It will give us a chance to explore, a chance to find new things! A chance to be ourselves! He thought this as his excitement radiated off of him, eager to explore and meet new people. 

"And we should find a pack, too! A pack that will welcome us in and accepts us! That way, we can be safe and also look out for others and ourselves!"
the staff team luvs u
♥ Spring ♥
04-02-2022, 06:31 PM
"Well, if it's settled, then we should get going now, right?" Shadow said, getting up and waiting for the other two to follow. 

When they did, he bowed his head, and said "Thank you, Kevin, for giving us some sense of order in this new world.

He then started walking away with the two others following. Let's see what new adventures we'll have, shall we? 
the staff team luvs u
✿ Shadow ✿
scroll to top