Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
sitting within wispy dreams,

P
03-15-2022, 08:38 PM
sitting right at the edge of royal wisterian woodland
 @Leo @Kore

Vermillion was becoming more and more restless. Edging closer out of the edges of Elkshire, as she would gingerly looking in, feeling as if she was being watched, yet never approached. Some part of her knew her mother always was watching, hovering over their shoulders despite a different, brought between all their siblings. It was an oddity that couldn't be explained, and swirled in unease through her core. Maybe if she hadn't recieved some affection, Vermillion would have left the place long ago.

Though the truth was she loved her family. Even if they were mean at times, she valued her siblings and especially the eldest brother from the same litter. But, the Princess knew within her heart this was not the place. She couldn't value the religion like the others, nor' hold a calculating mind and a proudness, something she couldn't obtain.

But she was a Deorwine, just not.. One that her mother wanted her to be.

She as at the edge of the woodlands, gazing out and specifically looking at the Nightwalkers. Her father, was within that claim — but even then, she was uncomfortable with referring to him as so. Their mother said it was up to their discretion to call him, and she.. Couldn't think of a name besides simply his own, 'Vengeance.'

She wouldn't fit in there either though.. They were scary, and merciless as far as she knew. Her brother trained with Remus, and she couldn't handle such pains in life. Fast on her feet, yet lacked the skill to go further, or even the muscle to venture to warrior-hood. Something, she did not desire either. It wasn't her life.

So naive in the world, where could she go? Would Dues, come and retrieve her?

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
03-19-2022, 09:17 PM
^^

She had ventured a little further than she had since she arrived at the Plains and her magical alters. Kore thought nothing of it, knowing that wherever she went it was a place she was meant to go. Kore swept through with a twitching nose, the scent of Pack in the distance yet she made no effort to steer directly towards it. Today was not for that, her mismatched gaze vibrant as she took in the surroundings. These lands were her neighbours and she breathed them in, eager to take them and commit them to memory. It was both the little body at the edge of the woodlands and her scent that had Kore's ears twitching, the curious little lady staring out though seemed to not be eager to move on.

The little maiden ventured forward, a soft smile decorating her features as she cooed, "hello little wood nymph," the girl was painted earthen but with grey -- so little, like her, and delicate that she couldn't help but think of her as such when she was surrounded by looming trees. Pack clung to her fur though no border had Kore crossed, so she remained in the safe. "Are you in thought?" she asked, curious.
^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
03-20-2022, 11:06 PM
Such steps, it made her whip her head in the thought that Dues did finally come.. The strange deer that brought a wariness from most who greeted, and a brother who tried to protect her from him ; but in the end, wasn't him. In the place she so thought was another wolf, but dressed in beauty. In her eyes someone ethereal, like a fire spirit born from the first snow itself — a being her mother, and siblings, would definitely disapprove soley by the majority of white clinging to. Red, so strong that she found beautiful though.

Enchanted, by the other. 

Her voice snapped Vermillion from that realm of peace for a moment, feeling a bit.. Embarassed, and unsure of herself. There was a look behind within the woodlands itself, for the fear if any of her family discovered her talking to someone so full of.. Sin. By the Deorwine standards, and yet couldn't help but always doubt the High Elk.

Someone so pretty, could be so full of mistrust by the Gods. Someone to say that was to fall into darkness, that Vermillion forgot to answer the other as she fell into such religious thoughts.

the staff team luvs u
04-02-2022, 05:02 PM
^^

Shy or distrustful, Kore wasn't sure which one the girl was. She looked back over her shoulder as if checking or watching for something, or someone and Kore thought that talking to this girl might take some time. Time of which she had plenty. She smiled as she lowered herself to her rump, allowing the space to remain between them as to give the cherry-eyed girl the control to dictate if they got any closer. "It is alright," she soothed, tucking her tail nicely around her rump as she kept her mismatched gaze upon the girl.

"I am sorry if I startled you, I often get told my steps are light and unnerving," she mused, a slight laugh to her airy vocals. "I should probably work on that," it was unlikely she would, her steps having always been light and with a body so featherlight, it was unlikely she would ever sound as if she were stomping. The girl was young, younger than her and that would likely cause her to be more cautious than a grown wolf who knew what they were doing. "If you wouldn't mind some company, perhaps I might remain here?" She could decide how this went. ^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
04-02-2022, 05:06 PM
She shuffled her paws, nervous while giving a rather wary look back. Her family wouldn't be pleased to be discussing with an outsider who was so displayed by her whites. Though she held some more blessed colors, a beloved red that signaled a barbarians blood but she seemed more of a fairy, then someone of so. Maybe it would be ok..? She so thought with her ruby-eyes in a worry, looking into where Elkshire was.

Hesitantly looking back with a nod, because a part of her truly was curious about the other. Where was she from? Who was she? She wasn't someone that they knew of, and didn't smell of Nightwalkers either. Was there a pack her mother didn't know about? Her eyes spoke of a million questions, but her mouth remained shut —

the staff team luvs u
04-02-2022, 06:13 PM
^^

Despite her silence, the girl did not move away. She did not get up and leave and Kore took that as a good sign, a small victory that the girl was not so fearful that she didn't want to remain here with her. She looked worried and though she could not know the reason why, truly, Kore supposed it might be because she was young and smelt of another Pack. Did she have a mother bear lingering behind the treeline? She need not worry if she were watching them, Kore had no desire to hurt her cub. Seeking to give the girl some more reassurance, under the assumption she was worried due to Kore being a stranger, she furthered her notion of being unaggressive and welcoming by lowering herself to her pale belly.

The girl nodded, giving Kore permission to remain. Her smile dazzled upon her face as she thumped her tail in a wag, "very kind of you," she cooed softly. "My name is Kore," the girl divested, "though I was born Persephone." Perhaps talking to her and getting to know her might help ease the girl and what better to tell her than something she had never told another soul? "The names have meaning though not always is it the right time to be called Persephone, my path has been drawn and I have not yet reached my goal to deserve holding my born name." She folded her delicate forepaws over each other and kept her mismatched gaze upon the girl.

"Do you know what wood nymphs are, little star?" Kore questioned, thinking that perhaps she might engage her -- though still she could nod or shake her head if not yet did she trust her own voice. ^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
04-04-2022, 01:40 AM
Vermillion titled her head, questioning why she would introduce two names as such. Clearly they were not family names like Deorwine or Rache, and yet she held two? How strange she so thought, and yet very intrigued of the reasoning why.. She wasn't ready to hold her 'true name?' What was her goal? And why do so in the first place — what gave her that idea? So many questions introduced right away for the thought of an outsider giving her all this was a lot to try and comprehend, and felt that in general those outside of Elkshire were strange, but to herself she simply wanted to know more and more. Strange like herself, outcasted from the family — a solace, of the oddities itself, even in truth she wasn't even that odd at all. All too normal with just a 'bout of anxiety that never ceased.

"I'm Vermillion.. Deorwine is my family name," she said to clarify, to not cause confusion. She didn't want her name to be mistaken that the 'true' one was Deorwine, for all her like it was Vermillion. She doesn't remember nicknames too often either, and nor' could she say there was any variations she thought of, that she liked. Her name was simple as it was, and prefered to be as so. The Queen never gave any of them nicknames, and always addressed everyone to their full one. An unknowing line that was drawn. Even to her own young, who were not allowed to call her anything but Mother, not even Mama.

Her paws shuffled and felt a flush to her cheeks on being called little star, a nickname not at all was expecting but.. Enjoyed it, and it showed on her demeanor as she shook her head.

What was a forest nymph?

the staff team luvs u
04-14-2022, 06:20 PM
^^

The little wood nymph had taken her time to break her silence and break she did, divulging her name and her family. Kore's smile was brilliant upon her delicate features as she dipped her head to the girl, "Vermillion," she cooed in echo, thinking it was certainly a sweet name. "It has been lovely to meet you," the girl added softly though really didn't expect the girl to respond in return. She had felt at least some bit of comfort or confidence to introduce herself but something of the girl was still shy and that was okay, Kore didn't need words to talk to someone. The stars spoke to her all the time and they did not speak her language.

She didn't hate the little nickname and Kore giggled lightly at the girls reaction, not knowing it was likely the first time she had received one. The answer was clear, though: she didn't know what a wood nymph was. "Well," she began warmly, "they are little magical creatures of the woodlands," the girl thought back to the first time she had been told of them, much younger than Vermillion was now. "Some say they are little woodland spirits who watch over the forest, decorated in the prettiest colours," she leaned back as she slapped her paws upon the earth, casting her mismatched gaze upon the girl. "Pretty like yours, little star," Kore complimented with a warm smile.

"Sometimes they are shy, preferring their trees. Sometimes we leave them offerings to let them know that we appreciate and respect them and welcome them into our homes," it was the sprites and fairies that you had to look out for. ^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
04-18-2022, 02:16 AM
"How do you know they exist?" Her eyes sparkled with a curiosity. For all she knew was only the religion of the Deorwine family. About the High Elk ; and his Apostles. Of course, she never questioned of so existence. She simply thought it was a God of them so and guarded over many, and yet it seemed that their mother made it clear that not all believe in so.. And that there is possibly the existence of other beings as well. Some that she never went further upon.

But it was one she prayed to in desperation, believed in so. 

And now she was being opened up to the world that she was curious about ; the existence of others by t someone she particular liked. Vermillion hoped dearly Kore would leave, and a part of her desired to bring her inside the forest itself.. But she knew that her mother wouldn't approve, especially how heavy she was within white that was pure as the snow itself — unlike her own creamy ones.

With every compliment though she felt flushed in the face and vigorously rubbing her paws together.

the staff team luvs u
04-20-2022, 04:17 PM
^^

"How do you know they don't?" she returned easily, her mismatched eyes twinkling. "There has been history passed down from generation to generation, sightings that go back before even my great, great, great grandmother," Kore cooed softly, perking her eyes as she appraised the girl. Curious to see how she would react, curious to know if there was any religion or high power that she too believed in or if she had mind open enough to think about it.

"Old Magick is in nature, the very nature we live in. The very nature that caused us to even exist," some needed faith to ground themselves, others thought it nothing but a fallacy. "I feel it in my very veins, I feel the call and the thrum of the Magicks in my home, in my alters," her tail thumped merrily, thoroughly interested in the girl.
^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
04-21-2022, 07:05 PM
Dues, the High Elk, and Magik itself — a gradual forcing of culture and religions introduced to Vermillion that brought a great curiosity, a desire of knowledge and more outside the claim of Elkshire itself. Already were other thoughts planted, and the feeling of isolation with the thoughts of simply.. Wanting to leave were there, some part of her was drawn by this unknown magik.

Something that wasn't instantly drawn to her other siblings.

She looked at the other and only was urging to say more, talk of more and expand more what she said. Because Vermillion wanted knowledge, and only Kore was giving it.

the staff team luvs u
04-28-2022, 07:22 PM
^^

"To share my culture and my belief is not mandatory," Kore divulged, "in my Pack, in my friendship, in my circles." What would that make her if she forced someone to share a belief that they could not say with their heart that they were interested in? So long as respect went both ways, Kore was happy to coexist and further thrive with others. What more could one want other than to thrive and be happy, to be able to explore all corners of possibilities? To limit herself and others would be a crime. 

The girls silence and not leaving was taken as her open mind to continue to have Kore talk her ear off. "There are these rocks, they hail from the ground and point to the sky and in my heart, my blood and my bones I feel the magics. It is where I feel the magicks are at their strongest and the festivals my Pack will celebrate will be in good fortune with them," she smiled, toothy and broad as she wagged her tail. "Do you and yours celebrate festivals, little star?"

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
Adventurer
05-02-2022, 07:50 PM
"What is your pack called?" Vermillion obviously so, knew there was more beyond Elkshire. Yet the only packs she really knew about was her own birth-pack, Nightwalkers, and the mysterious Pantheon beyond the plains. She barely knew anything about either or, except a man called her father lived in another, and there was few wolves living within the other. There was talk of packs quite beyond her knowledge, but it was nothing that she knew. Thus in an honesty, she was curious to where Kore claims.

"Uhmm.. Some. When the first snow happens, when children are born, when there are mates.." But it was nothing as whimsicle as the other stated, more just celebrations of what was to occur. Vaguely did Vermillion remember the celebration about her own, where others were decorated within antlers and flowers — and even Nightwalkers had joined so. But it was a blurr, not a proper memory that she could say with an honesty.

Was her own more fun?

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top