Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
The clan converges!

Morning Partly Cloudy
P
Formation
03-10-2022, 12:54 AM
Welcome! Our meeting will be going in rounds. Each round will last either one week or until all participants respond, whichever comes first. No posting order, but please only post once per round. 
@Moosebellow @Snail @Angelic Cannon @Momo @Emberfrost

It was a couple hours after sunrise, but Quinn had been up for hours, pacing the forest where they were having their meeting. She was nervous and excited all at once. If anyone had asked her a month ago if she would be heading up a meeting of a potential clan, she would have looked at them like they were crazy. She had met Moosebellow, of course, and Angelic Cannon, but Moosebellow had also invited some cats that he had met. 

Feeling it was time, she leapt up onto small stump, and began to call the clan together. Her meows were loud, so that they would travel through the trees. She expected to see Moosebellow first, knowing he was close by, and her eyes searched for him. He had quickly become a very important friend to her, and someone she valued more than anyone else she ever had. It was an alien emotion for her, but one she wasn't shying away from. For the first time, she was learning to lean on someone, and it felt good. She sat down on the stump, her tail swishing in anticipation of everyone coming together.
the staff team luvs u
[Image: b5lRX7D.png]
Adventurer
03-10-2022, 01:13 AM
A newfound energy, a relaxation — found itself within Emberfrost. Yet, she also realized.. She had no idea where she was. The area was voided of the Clans, definitely not the forests, or even plains that she knew of. Rather, it smelled heavily of wolves that is almost brought a chill to her spin. She was fortunate enough not to encounter any, and sometimes would slip into the trees for a soaking of daydreams. A new laziness, finding itself within her now that she was.. Set free, in a sense.

A loneliness though had also taken hold. Emberfrost was always.. Separate, from everyone. There was a barrier that felt had to break, especially when she became that. But whoever that was, no longer plagued her mind — and no more, would she feel like her own, wasn't her own anymore. A single entity, a single mind, free-space to do whatever.. Yet, not a clan-cat. She was a loner, for wherever she stepped, surely by StarClan, this was not any place she knew.

But was it the afterlife? The russet cat couldn't tell. She didn't want to think that though, she tried to set in a positive tone, thinking that maybe, she was lucky and was granted a new opportunity, a new life! Taking it all slowly, was she fully enjoying the spirit that the forest held. Laying within the sun, playing with the bugs, frolicking in the fields. It all felt, too true.

She could smell them though. Not the same scent like a territory of the Clans, but the gathering of cats. However Emberfrost smelled the wolves even more heavily within this area then the others, that it did bring.. Curious questions, that she was all too eager to know. There was an ease in her step, a calmness and an almost playful gait that her stride gave. A smile all too friendly — like she was within the clouds itself..

But her steps are with caution, light on the feet in-case Emberfrost was wrong, and these were not cats she so wondered.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
03-10-2022, 01:20 AM
 This was a nice area, but he knew it wasn't their permanent haunt. He also knew that he hadn't expected things to develop this fast. First, they'd been bouncing the idea of a clan around playfully but now... well, now, it was a reality. Currently he lounged around with a small weed sitting at the corner of his mouth, waiting on her call. When it finally came, Moosebellow followed Quinn's call and saw that she was standing on a stump. He grinned as he walked up, wrestling with himself to be professional or not. He decided on the former as he dipped his head and said, "Quinnstar." But then as he circled closer to take a seat beside the stump-throne, he would add quietly and playfully. "Looks like you're finally taller than me now." Hopefully the joke would help her nerves a bit as he settled in --in a proper deputy's spot no less-- to wait on the arrival of the others. 

He could see the first arrival; one he didn't know off the top of his head but was excited to see. Another new cat. How fantastic! "'Sup!'" He said to her as he rotated the small weed around in his mouth. Would anyone else new show up?

the staff team luvs u
M for Language

Hunter
03-10-2022, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2022, 01:24 AM by Célnes. Edited 1 time in total.)
skippable! she is stalking for now, feel free to notice her after a round or two!
note: received permission to enter thread

There was an obvious question that hung in the air — what was with all the cats as of recently?

Celnes had met some, but mostly simply smelled their scents around the area. It was quite frequently as of recently, as around the temperate she could see the signs and the aftermath of so, and strangely enough.. It almost seemed they kept coming closer, and closure. She wasn't especially hostile to the feline friends, as in her eyes they aren't a true threat. Small and agile, but their power was little compared to the forest-dwelling wolves that she even had an arrogance, that her children could fight them with an ease, if it came to be. 

But it seemed.. They came for a visit. But not for Elkshire. There was a heavy smell that hung within the woodlands, the deep musk of cats continually to enter that brought such a curiosity to the Queen, that she made strides for it. A careful approach, prowling into the shadows and keep downwind to be uncaught, for they didn't come to meet her, nor call for her.. What purpose, where they here for?

Fiery eyes coming through the bush, as she watched these felines, within her own forest. Waiting, and watching.

the staff team luvs u
03-13-2022, 03:17 AM
He'd heard of this clan through the Savannah cat Quinn, finding it rather fascinating. Is this how wild cats live? He's quite curious about it. He's lived with other cats before, in the ancient quests for awakening, but never a cat clan! He hears the meows and knows what it means. It's time.

He appears from the underbrush, leaves in his long, double-coated fur. He could use a good grooming, but he's not going to do so right now in front of everyone. That'd be rude. "Present and accounted for," he says, holding his tail like a curly banner. "I suppose these are the others?"
the staff team luvs u
03-13-2022, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2022, 08:09 PM by Snail. Edited 1 time in total.)
 The call that rang out was both foreign and fundamental, simultaneously pulling him towards an uncharted chapter while also ferrying him home. 

The elderly cat was careful as he stepped through the still-barren trees, ears pricked as he came upon a clearing, his nose leading him when the meow faded on the wind. 

A tender spark of warmth filled his mismatched eyes as he pushed through the brambles to see not one, not two, but four felines waiting in the grass. “This is a wonderful day. It's a pleasure to meet you all - and it's good to see you again, Moosebellow.”

the staff team luvs u
03-16-2022, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2022, 12:44 PM by Flower. Edited 2 times in total.)
The shock had still not worn off, how could it when the entirety of your life you had been deprived of one sense? How could such a marvel go without.. well.. marveling over this new ability? Just imagine it, your entire life you were without the life changing sense to see and now.. oh.. the colors.

She did not want to dwell on the fact that she would never know the fate of those she was trying to protect, or how she ended up here rather than in the stars like she had been taught all her life. Maybe this was a second chance; maybe she was blessed now that she had the capability of sight. Instead, she simply took it all in. The way the grass moved with the subtle shift of a breeze, how it's color was so vibrant. She was use to the scent, the feel, the sound of it, but now with this visual she felt everything she was missing in her last life.

A sound broke her reveling, snapped her out of the daydreaming like state she was in. She knew that kind of call, and what creature made it. The meows of someone beckoning those to them, it reminded her so much of the last time she had heard it that her heart hurt but this call was calmer. There was no desperation of war or urgency to gather, no, it was similar to the meetings that were to inform.

The pale healer moved, drawn to this call as she closed the space between her and this mystery. As she came upon the meeting she found colors that made sense to her now, the name of fire and ember were just as vibrant as she imagined. It was then she realized just how small she was, she knew she was short but the way others had brushed against her but with sight it glared at her. Oh wow.

Her tail drooped slightly as she took in the five felines, she was unsure of herself as she simply stared at the gathering in both awe and hesitation.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: da8z9ur-26f937e8-8c5f-4744-b298-fef25cce...kbsdTjmvfg]
03-17-2022, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2022, 03:26 AM by Quinn. Edited 1 time in total.)
Round 2. If you missed Round 1, simply join in at any time! Round will last 1 week or until all current players have posted, whichever comes first. No posting order.

She was nervous, but Quinn kept her expression painfully neutral while she waited for the cats to answer her call. She took a deep breath, her tail swishing back and forth, almost leisurely, as if her heart wasn't threatening to pump right out of her chest. Her gaze turned to Moosebellow as he came and settled in beside her. I see I earned my name back, she whispered as she dipped her head in kind to his, her voice a little edgy but still playful. She huffed, A mere illusion, she retorted to his comment about her being taller than he. It was the stump that put her head currently over his, but the moment they were on flat ground, all would reveal itself. 

The first cat to come into view seemed to hesitate, and Quinn called out to the flame-colored feline. You're welcome to join us, she invited. Her gaze took in a white female, and she nodded to her, silently adding her in on the invitation. Others began to show, and she nodded her head to Angelic Cannon in response to the question. As they formed and said hello to each other, Quinn began to relax. It was all coming together. There were a couple faces she wondered if Moosebellow had brought, or if they happened upon their meeting. Either way, Quinn would not turn them away. 

She hadn't really rehearsed what she was going to say. She had thought it was a good idea to keep it pretty informal. Thank you, everyone, for joining. My name is Quinn, she introduced herself. Moosebellow, her head angled towards him before straightening, and I have invited you here in hopes of beginning a new clan for ourselves, she explained, her gaze shifting from one cat to the next. Regardless of where you came from or your history, we hope to create a family where all cats are welcome. I don't have much experience in putting these types of things together, she admitted. But Moosebellow has offered himself up as an aide to guide us into this transition. Were those the right words? She paused before continuing. He and Angelic Cannon, she went on, looking to Angelic Cannon when she said his name, have found a territory they think we might like. It's an abandoned castle in the plains that would offer us plenty of protection, both from the weather and from other predators. 

She paused, taking a breath to calm herself. It didn't work. But, she continued anyway. If you'd like to stay and join this clan with us, please, tell us your name, maybe a bit about yourself. As I said, I am Quinn, I lived in a desert climate before I came here, and Moosebellow is teaching me about his heritage, StarClan, and fighting. While I lived in a clan before, it was more of a group of rogues than anything very structured. She finally fell silent, feeling like she had talked way more than she anticipated. She looked to Moosebellow to introduce himself next.
the staff team luvs u
Formation
03-17-2022, 04:30 AM
 Quinn called and they all came, cats of various shades and sizes. He was pleased to note that two that he'd met prior had even shown themselves. "Glad to see you fuckin' made it, old timer!" He greeted the old cat with a smile and turned his gaze onto Cannon. "Fuck yeah it is." He responded to the man and to the other cats he didn't know, he'd give a warm nod of greeting. He could tell it was about time to start and introductions would be later, he was sure.

Quinn began to speak, introducing herself and then him. When his name was said, he gave one sharp upwards jerk of his head. His usual way of greeting someone. The brown tomcat listened, thinking that she was doing a fine job of laying everything out. He nodded along to her words, both in understanding and in encouragement if she were to glance over to him at all.

She offered up the floor after taking a breath and after one look back at her, he gave a look that was a soft one as if to say "you did fine", reserved just for her. The large cat stepped forward a bit, tail raising confidently as he looked around. He twisted the weed in his mouth before starting to speak. "'Sup! Name's Moosebellow, like Quinn just said. I woke up here a season or so ago. I used to be from a clan called ForestClan but I'm here now to help out in building a new clan here. I think it's what StarClan wants and it's what I and I hope what everyone else here wants as well. Wolves can' have all the fuckin' fun runnin' around in groups, now can they?" He said the last bit with a chuckle. He never really got the jitters when speaking in front of a crowd. It probably helped that he didn't give two shits what other people thought about him. "I was a warrior from my previous clan and, yeah, I'm hear to share what knowledge that I can." He grinned and then retreated back to the side of the stump where Quinn stood. His amber eyes gazed around the gathered crowd, silently beckoning the next cat forward.

the staff team luvs u
M for Language

Adventurer
03-17-2022, 04:47 PM
Following the trail of cats led to a pleasant surprise, one surrounded by a mixture of scents despite the wolves also covering the area. Emberfrost would have maybe thought this was their territory if not for that, as well as the factor not all of them blended well. Some had familiarity between their smells and yet like herself, some seemed all too new, or simply only acquaintances of those who announced themselves firstly. How strange! Yet fascinating she thought, as her lips curled to the typical 'cat smile,' that many saw in a more playful, and relaxed manner.

The welcoming brought some nostalgia, a familiarity yet a new from their introductions. A clan meeting as something she was often used to, and yet with her previous deposition could Emberfrost only sulk within the backdrop in a quiet state, afraid she would do something on a later date. A yearning, really, to be more around. She approached with her tail swiveling in the backdrop, "I did not mean to intrude, I had followed the scents."

A playful flick of her tail, a mind of wanting more then what she had previously. A relaxation was so desired now that the voices had left, but also a slight desperation within her own soul of wanting more then just the lazy life she so imagined, "but I am interested," she so spoke, while looking at particular at Moosebellow..

She wasn't expecting a clan cat to be met within these woods, especially one that she wasn't familiar with. It never came cross the russet cats mind there were more then her own, and especially a name she did not know of. In truth she never thought of the outside life of the main four she knew of, and only had vague knowings of the rogues, loners and even kittypets..

"I am Emberfrost, of ThunderClan." She meowed, tilting her head with a crescent eye-view and relaxed smile.

the staff team luvs u
03-19-2022, 08:48 PM
      There is always something lurking within the shadows. And within the particular dense woodlands around the meeting, it was effortless for silhouettes to sneak around. In the case of Shrikeheart, he would be one of the many uninvited creatures to roam on the outside, peering through the bushes to get a peek. 

It hadn't been too long since he'd awoken from a deep slumber to find himself in an entirely different land. Call it fate or Starclan, but either way, he hadn't been too happy about it. The life that he had before... The mere thought of it made his head hurt. A fuzzy, static-like feeling overtook him when he tried to imagine it. He knew the basics, where he had been raised and how he'd come about clans in the first place. He was not born into one, rather brought into one as an outsider. Before the clan, his life had been aimlessly roaming, without a home. A stray who had no problem with being on his own, he worked better that way. Of course, it was always a form of connection that changed his reasons for being all alone. The shape of who had brought him into the life, they are barely an outline in his mind. 

Shrikeheart's ears leaned forward, listening intently on the felines discussion. He'd not run into any wolves, not yet. He'd been careful to steer clear of any clearly marked territories. As good of a warrior as he was, he didn't think he'd be much of a threat to a massive canine. He might be stubborn, but not stupid. Focusing in on another male within the meeting, not really aiming to hide the vulgar mouth that he possessed. Which put somewhat of a smirk on the curved ends of his lips. Then a woman that looked as if she was ablaze spoke. Another mention of the clans came into the conversation. So, most of them had lived within one. 'Pft. Starclan.' He had always had doubts, and they teetered even here. 'I doubt they followed us here.' Another voice in his head whispered caught the thoughts that he had and counteracted them with her own. A flash of great brilliance and the warmth of affection heated his insides, and he remembers why he even believed in them at all. He took a breath, shoving down the thoughts that he had, and trying to open his heart once again to those who lived within the stars. Even though he knew it'd be hard, with no one, to keep his heart and brain on the same page. It'd been why they'd been such a fit in the first place. He closed his eyes, letting his chest ache for a mere moment, before pushing onward. He couldn't let the crippling, gnawing of the past threaten his future.

His presence was made known as he slipped through the bracken, showing himself to the other cats that had gathered. His eyes cut to each of them, as if he hadn't seen them from behind the greenery that stood between him and them beforehand. The stare lingered on Quinn for a moment, twisting his whiskers before speaking up. "I too, am interested." He claimed, his throaty voice announcing to the clan that they also had another willing to tough out the start of a new group. He would let the others look over him, study him, without taking his eyes off the known leader. 

the staff team luvs u
03-23-2022, 07:48 PM
 To his amazement and delight, even more cats joined. Like flint filings following a magnet's pull, the felines converged inside the clearing. Snail listened to what they had to say, trepidation and the thrill of change swirling like a shaken cocktail in his belly. 

“I am interested.” He said simply, his voice a sandpaper rasp, age crackling the edges of tone. “My name is Snail and I've lived here all my life. I look forward to getting to know all of you.” His words coated with a thick warmth and awe, still struck by how many of them wanted to forge this new home together.

the staff team luvs u
03-23-2022, 08:08 PM
Cannon has to admit, the castle will be good. Then the introductions begin and he looks between the cats. "This one comes from a life among humans," he says. "We lived with many cats, all with the same luxurious fur and similar patterns. This one's patterns were different, but the humans did not seem to mind. It was, perhaps, a sign of the dreams to come. Dreams of worlds beyond, and the greatness that lies in the adventures we are certain to have." 

He spends a moment recalling the vast forests and mountains of his home. "I remember the smell of thick pine and the fingers of earth that could touch the sky. The crunch of leaves when the Fall came upon us. We were given room to hunt and roam. This one has not seen humans here, but this one can attest that their shelters are excellent during the winter. The ability to go inside and outside as one pleases is a boon."
the staff team luvs u
03-24-2022, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2022, 03:42 PM by Flower. Edited 1 time in total.)
The one that sat on the stump, the higher vantage point was named Quinn and the male feline nearest to her Moosebellow. As the continued to speak the petite healer relaxed a bit more, her tension easing at her words. Strangers were welcome in this gathering, encourage as it would seem. Slowly she lowered herself to the vibrantly colored ground in a seated position, though much smaller than the others she still stood out. She was the only colorless creature, the only one with her stature and angles.

As the wildcat went on the ruby eyed medic looked over those that had gathered, noting theor features and committing them to memory. However the gave a jolt at the mention of StarClan, so some of these cats came from a similar background. Interesting.

The one of dirt and eyes of gold, Moosebellow, started up. His words bold and without filter, he reminded her of her brother in how enthusiastic it was. Ah, but what was his name? With a shake of her tiny skull she refocused, there was so much information to soak up. So much color, so much to see!

The one of flame, apt name Emberfrost was also a clan cat. She was beautiful in her coloring and with her newly found sight she could not help but stare at her as she spoke her short sentences. She envied being given such a color to wear, to always embody fire.

A new cat appeared, no name but interested. The older man near her then spoke up, Snail. He lived here his entire life, not woken up here like the rest of them. His eyes were of sky and sun, lovely to look at. The next to speak up, Angelic Cannon, has similar eyes of grass and sky. He spoke in a different way but no matter, she was interested in this Castle.

With a sign she spoke up with a very soft and gentle voice, it was her turn. "I was called Blindflower in my last life, I was born without sight and was trained to be the Medicine Cat. My clan's name was CreekClan but I do not know if they survived the attack from ShadeClan when the ambush led us.." She shook her head has emotion filled her words, no, no, that was not important to think of right now. "StarClan has given me my sight in this new world, I am interested in the clan and wish to lend my help with herbs and healing. I guess since I am no longer blind.. my name is Flower now.." she trained off, looking embarrassed. Was that all she needed to say, should she say more?

the staff team luvs u
[Image: da8z9ur-26f937e8-8c5f-4744-b298-fef25cce...kbsdTjmvfg]
03-25-2022, 12:25 AM
Last round! Feel free to make some discovery threads for Cymru's Keep. it needs to be discovered before we can claim it. 

They all introduced themselves, and Quinn listened to each intently, determined to hold to memory what they said. It was a bigger group than what she had expected at this point, but it was all the better. They all seemed rather nice, and willing to put in the effort of starting up a clan. Once those who wanted to speak did, Quinn meowed her thanks.

We don't need to make any decisions at the moment. Our clan name and rules can be decided once we're a bit settled at Crymu's Keep, she explained. Let's go ahead and head there, and stake our claim. If there was no opposition, she would turn to Moosebellow, Lead the way, she would say, then hop down from her perch to walk beside him. 

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
03-31-2022, 08:02 PM
There was a sense of relief that these cats were only using this place as a meeting, rather then a home. The mention of a clan coming forth and it seemed.. She has witnessed the creation of these cats. Yet they mentioned of a place they did not know and could only assume it was beyond the rivers. Perhaps if the time came, to take a visit and mention how she had watched this historical moment of a clan within the making..

The Queen though, did not disrupt. She wasn't found out either and only watched in a more tranquil sense while hiding within the shadows itself. Her body submerged into the flora of the leaves and so, continuing her watch within a downwind matter. Paws on the careful delication she did step on anything to alert them — and it seemed, her stalking upon their meeting was met without being caught.

She would slip away once they officially left.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top