Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Do You Look Like Me, Do You Feel Like Me

P
Adventurer
03-05-2022, 01:42 AM

Though they had freedom, rarely did Calhoun feel the need to venture far from the woods. He liked his home and it was not like there was not an abundance of land for him to explore as is. Often he went to the range where he could watch the deer graze and huddle, more so now with the cold and snow that comes from winter. He was still young though, and his mind aflame with youthful questions. Wonders of his father, of whom he had only heard stories of aside from a brief meeting once when they were younger.

Calhoun toed to woodlands, his paws letting him linger ever closer and closer towards the borders as the days passed until he finally stood at their edge, staring into the stretching expanse beyond. Did their father not care for them? He lived just beyond, didn't he? So why had he not come back to visit?

Frankly, their Mother's answers were beginning to feel stale. So often he found her responses a repeat of what he had heard before, but there had to be more than that. Right? If they were being sheltered he had no need for it. Remus was teaching them to be strong, their mother, to be smart. Temptation grappled him, a paw raised to his chest as he thought to step further. To go beyond what they knew and see his own truth.

the staff team luvs u
03-05-2022, 05:55 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
A signal that came in the form of his paler brother, gave Warwick enough notice to see he was up to something. There was a certain determination in their stride, and the duke was unnoticed when he took to following him at a distance. He gauged their demeanour, there was nothing hunter about the way he moved, so he wasn't on a mission to seek prey.

Then what was his purpose?

Out of Elks Crown and into their adjacent territory, he knew the entrances into it, and as the undetected duo slinked further and further away from prying eyes, Calhoun came to a stop, just as Warwick began to fade in his trails, knowing they were reaching their boundaries and surely Calhoun would at any moment turn around?

Intense citrine eyes glowed with curiosity, up until his brother was contemplating that last step...

'CALHOUN! What are you doing?', he ran over to him as his shouts protested to hopefully impede his movement.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
03-10-2022, 06:08 AM
No sooner did his paw stretch across the divide was his name called out, startling him a foot back until a reddened gaze found the form of his brother. For a moment Calhoun stared wide-eyed before his brow furrowed. What was that for? His words were hushed, hissed through tight lips as he quickly looked to see if anyone else had heard the protest from his brother.

You can't tell me you haven't thought about it. As he saw it he needed little explanation, nor would he chance turning himself in should an adult overhear them. Mother acts as if we are children but we hardly look like the pups we are babied to be. He especially had sprouted quite the limbs even if he still held the lanky figure of a growing boy.

the staff team luvs u
03-12-2022, 03:04 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

'You know we can't leave the boundaries', he now equalled his brothers' sharp whispers, reprimanding, aiming to give some rationalization for his sudden disruption. He lowered his head, alert he might've now put a beacon upon them for any border patrollers in earshot.

His brother raised a solid point, and it was one that had of course crossed his mind more than once, but he remained patient, knowing their time would come when their chains would become unlatched as they matured.

He rolled his eyes. 'You could've at least told me', he wanted in on it, if Calhoun was already planning on roaming, 'have you already come this way before? Alone?', thinking that perhaps Edith had already accompanied him on the little excursion without anyone knowing.

He looked over to the other side of a situ unknown, his curiosity dying to be fed.
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

the staff team luvs u
03-23-2022, 03:52 AM
Though he had found a particular kinship with Warwick and Edith they still had their moments. If his brother was truly about to lecture him after he had caught the eldest pair running off in chase of bears then he was a hypocrite. Luckily, it seemed today they would be on the same side. While Warwick looked out into the unknown he was quick to finish his scan of their surroundings until he determined no one had heard his brother's outburst. Sorry.

No. I've only looked from here. Waiting and watching, just as he told Aldritch. Despite their numbers, there were only a certain few who upheld their borders and it thinned greatly once you left the crown thanks to how big the territories stretched out. It had been weeks of watching for any kind of pattern to the patrols. Weeks to figure out where he might slip away with ease and what might be interesting beyond. I take it that means you haven't either. Would Edith have gone alone? It was too late to look for her now if he wanted to slip back without issue.

the staff team luvs u
03-25-2022, 09:55 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

Whilst the two brothers and sister were quite the bonded trio. Brothers being brothers, that didn't erase the competitive streak within Warwick and that was where his telling off was warranted, in his opinion. The duke believed they would always tell one another what they were up to, what plans were next on the agenda and so forth, but in reality, there were flaws in this belief. 

He shook his head, gesturing no he hadn't ventured this way either. 

'Isn't our father that way?', his question implied there laid the reason in which Calhoun took to this very path. 

Plus, the distinct junkyard perfume that tail-ended in this area of their royal lands was the flag-bearer that definitely suggested the Nightwalkers and Daddy was in that general direction.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-01-2022, 11:52 PM
Not that he believed any of their siblings had been beyond their walls it was still good to confirm that fact as true. He didn't care to be the first or brag about going further, if anything you could chalk it up to brotherly protectiveness. No matter their colors his littermates were his siblings and he wanted what was best for them. It's why he pushed the younger ones to further their devout practices for the High Elk's approval...even if the sins on their skin were not their own.

Calhoun would nod in return as he kept his stare on the unknown. Even with whatever distance spanned between them, he too could smell the faint taint in the air along this edge of the borders. That's why I'm interested. Wasn't Warwick? They barely knew their father, if that was even a title he deserved or wanted. Aren't you curious, Brother? About him? His pack? Their mother rarely spoke of him but that was probably due to redirected love. She did not love their father. Maybe she felt the same about some of them, but who could say. Celnes didn't have the choice not to when they all lived here.

the staff team luvs u
04-07-2022, 06:31 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

That pensive gaze of his brother was one he too adopted, eyes lingering from tree to tree as though the figure of their maker would materialise amidst the shadows they cast. 
More than once did their sire cross his mind, perhaps inevitably did it pop up amongst all his children in Elkshire. But only rumours were spoken of him, or little facts. He knew very little, and there was that pocket of interest that wanted to learn more of him. 

'I am. He visited once didn't he?', a memory that at least painted a picture to search for, '... wasn't the most remarkable of impressions really'. He frowned. The man seemed a dark creature. One that perhaps would not suit the world of the High Elk and Elkshire. 

'You look to seek him?', eyes that whirled a questionable and slightly hesitant curiosity now shot back to his brother. 

What was this. First Vermillion, now Calhoun? 

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-08-2022, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2022, 12:45 AM by Calhoun. Edited 1 time in total.)
The boy's nose would scrunch as he too tried recalling what he knew of the warlord. Supposedly they had met their father a few times, though he only vaguely remembered once. At least, but not since we were first given free rein of the Crown. All he could picture was a dark figure, looming and imposing with a pierced red gaze...that and His stench certainly left one. Faint as the memory was he would never forget the smell of rot that clung to their... father's pelt. Ugh. Perhaps he was not as curious as he once believed to find him, the man seemed disgusting.

Clearly, he cared little for them, so what father was he? Fathers were supposed to care, were they not? That or perhaps he was simply unable to visit... I'm not sure...but I am interested in finding where he lives at the very least. Glancing back to his brother he'd squint as the boy's ears fell back pointed like horns...a habit he had continuously displayed for some time now thanks to dear ol daddy. What's with that look? If I ever leave it wouldn't be forever. There's more beyond our woods, but that does not mean it is home.

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2022, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2022, 05:23 PM by Warwick. Edited 1 time in total.)
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
Warwicks nose crinkled as the pungent distinguishable aroma that circled the horizon, was one too that lingered in a faint memory of the man that bore them life. 'He did really stink'.

Their father didn't seem at all interested in them the day they met him, and there was no story attached to his unconcern for them nor their wellbeing since there was no sign of him from that day. 'Rather you than me, brother'. There was little evidence of their sire grasping his daddy role, and the duke had already come to a decision if he did not have any want to be part of their lives, then neither would he. 

The princes' gaze had then come at a price, receiving a little attitude from his sibling, one Warwick would usually mock had his mind not been swimming with worry. 'I fear Vermillion shares that same desire to leave, she said this isn't her home, that's all'. A sigh breathed heavily from him, as though the weight of his bother wanted to leave him in the same way he wanted to be rid of all these troubles.

'Is it so wise to venture already, brother? We know little of him. Who's to say he would be so accepting of you, of us', a bitterness rung in his tone. Still, he was curious to know of him, that was if his brother would return to tell. 

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-04-2022, 12:43 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2022, 12:44 AM by Calhoun. Edited 1 time in total.)
The boy merely mused an acknowledgment to his brother's words as he watched with lingering eyes. Whatever was out there he would find it, one way or another. Time was of little concern, they were young, but that did not mean that these woods were not stifling. Well, that shouldn't be such a surprise. She carries Mother's burdens. She could deny it, but he knew the truth. It showed in her gaze as she watched all of their siblings who had been marked "tainted". Not all wolves stay... Even if this was their home. Their family. The land that He had blessed with elken apostles.

If not now, then when? Should I wait until I am grown and a stranger? No, he wouldn't. He was old enough, at least for a quick trip. If their father wanted nothing to do with them he didn't care. It wasn't like he had been in the picture up till now. I don't care if he does not accept me. I don't need his acceptance, only the High Elk's. I'm only curious. Besides, This will always be my home. Remus is too busy with our siblings to teach us anything of use. Perhaps our father won't be.

the staff team luvs u
05-04-2022, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2022, 01:54 PM by Warwick.)
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
He couldn't deny his brother was right. His sister had not been so fortunate under the watchful eye of the High Elk to be bestowed with colours most favourable. A sign possibly that their mother was heeded a warning for her own sins, and her marked children were now the repercussion of said wrongdoing.

'She told me she did not feel... royal', he then shrugged, 'Said she couldn't keep up with what is asked of us'. The duke could not relate, like his present brother, he was competitive and strove to be only the best at all activities they were faced with. 

'I just fear for your safety, brother. I, too, wish to explore, but with just Remus' training, I still don't feel strong enough in case something goes wrong', maybe he had his head screwed on a little tighter than the unphased Calhoun, and contemplated such matters his sibling may not take into account. 'It is not like exploring our woods'. Whilst the trio of siblings snuck off, it was always within perimeters and timescales. 'Fine. I'm not here to hold you back, not that you would listen to me anyway', he snorted with a sly smile. 'I'll be interested to know your thoughts of him if you do go though'. That was the only glimmer of interest, but he really did not want to participate in Calhouns' quest.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
05-09-2022, 09:56 PM
wrap?

Then maybe it's best she finds her way. She was marked a sinner with whole parts bleached of his approval. Hard work would restore her place in his eyes, but if she was not willing, then she was not one of them. He would not share Warwick's melted heart, though Vermillion would always be family. So for that reason alone, he hoped she found a life better suited even should she be deemed a traitor.

The elken boy snorted at his brother's concern for himself. Maybe he was right to fear the unknown, but in his eyes, it was only a vast void of half-truths and rumors. Their mother had made it known that knowledge was power. If they never took that step into the forbidden how would they ever keep pace with the ever-changing? Seeking their father seemed like the best course of action for his first step. It was somewhat familiar, even if he was still a stranger.

Then you have little faith in the High Elk's protection.

He knew it was not true. Warwick was one of few siblings he looked up to and felt proud to claim as kin, but they were more than lost travelers. They were Déorwines with royalty firing through their veins. Where I can not, He will save me. Through His guidance, I will learn and find my way, and it will be that guidance that brings me home once my journey has ended. Calhoun held a steady gaze with his brother, neither hostile nor pleasant, before ultimately flicking his gaze back to the unknown.

You'll always know my discoveries... but not today. Come on, a patrol is bound to be on its way. My adventure can wait for another day.

the staff team luvs u
05-10-2022, 07:50 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
The duke nodded. There was not much he could do to either convince Vermillion nor alleviate the pressures that mounted on her mind. She would seek her own path under the watchful eye of the High Elk, he was sure of it.

Warwick forwned when accused of little faith, his expression voiced it all, he was not impressed by his brothers words, but before he could bite back they continued on, and he couldn't not concur with Calhouns words of wisdom. He chuffed, mockingly so, 'Well let's see if you're not all talk and do end up going without me or Edith'. He smiled daringly. It was either he and Warwick, he and Edith, Warwick and Edith or the three together, but rarely would they drift singularily on such an adventure. 

He then turned to leave by his brothers side. Bumping his shoulder playfully and scooting off before someone should spot them lurking at the borders.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

exit. thanks bro

the staff team luvs u
05-11-2022, 08:57 PM
His words clearly offended his brother, and though it was half in jest, he knew there was truth to what he said. The High Elk protected them all, even if he left these woods. They had made the Crown their home, but that did not mean it was the singular home of the High Elk. He was everywhere, just like the trees that sprouted from the earth. Once their mother had said some considered the trees to be His thousand horns, and if that was true, then the rest was equally a part of him.

Still, he would only laugh as Warwick tested him and return his bump with one of his own. You know I won't back down from a challenge. It was true, it would be the first time he left alone if he did, though he had hoped Warwick and Edith would be at his side, but it changed little. He had his own desires and none would stop him from finding his way. Warwick would turn to leave and Calhoun made no effort to stop him. Alone once more, he wandered back to the Crown with his thoughts.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top