Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
That's a huge goat!

Afternoon Sunny/Clear
AW
03-04-2022, 07:53 PM
@Rosencrantz

Loki was on the move, checking out the mountains. He found he liked the ever-changing terrain, and the wildlife that it brought with it. Birds, rabbits, and deer all seemed pretty familiar to him. But the big goat with the huge horns that he was currently watching fascinated him. He couldn't remember ever having seen one before. It was massive to him, and the horns looked particularly dangerous. 

Still, he followed the creature to its herd. He wasn't intending to hunt--that would be a death wish, he was sure. But, since he had nothing better to do, he may as well study the creature in case he needed any information about it for the future. At the moment, he was pretty sure it knew he was here. It never put its head down, and though it never looked directly at him, he could sense the tension in the beast. He wasn't really hiding, but he wasn't out in the open, either. The bushes provided some cover for him while he spied on the group of big-horned goats. 

the staff team luvs u
03-04-2022, 08:11 PM
He hadn't returned to the Wayfarers since his original wanderings. Miriam had enough support in the group to keep her safe and Rosencrantz, well, didn't quite feel like he fit in with the ragtag group. He wasn't listened to or respected much, simply the muscle for better or for worse and now there was the new young man who could take his place.

The two-faced man didn't offer any farewells and instead just vanished into the wind and rock of the mountains. Travelling North beyond his knowledge of the lands he had travelled within already to come across what smelled like a hunting ground of some pack. Their borders were strong elsewhere, but their numbers within these ones indicated the run wasn't for loners.

Flexing his mountain climbing abilities, the man climbed over rock and hills, ignoring the horned mountain beasts as he passed them by a few feet away only to find his gaze landing on... someone not quite, but a little familiar to him. As though he had seen this wolf in a dream once before.

The grunts and snorts of the main male of the goat herd was heard and Rosencrantz continued to wander away, having no interest in hunting on some other pack's grounds and causing trouble for himself. Instead, he focussed on the stranger, “These lands are claimed, I wouldn't hunt here.” He said casually, not intending to stay long for a prolonged conversation.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: photo-1477468572316-36979010099d_1.png]
03-04-2022, 08:24 PM
Loki heard the dissatisfied grunts of the goat before he realized they were no longer alone. His ears perked up when he noticed the other wolf, who didn't seem interested in the beasts at all. Though, if Loki was the size of this wolf, he wouldn't be concerned about anything, either. He marveled at the wolf, much as he had the beasts, his eyes laying rest on the other's face. The scar and lack of eye were noticeable, and Loki tried not to stare.

A warning was given, and it was only then Loki paid attention to the scents that were there. The stranger was right- there was a pack nearby. Thanks, he said. I wasn't going to hunt, but I wasn't paying attention, either, he admitted. Loki had no knowledge of his life before he woke up here a few days ago, so there was no recognition mirrored in his own eyes. The stranger was that-a stranger, as was everyone else he met. I'm Loki, he offered.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-04-2022, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2022, 04:39 AM by Rosencrantz. Edited 1 time in total.)
Cautiously he trod. Uncertain how friendly this pack may be or not at all, the warrior kept his ears on a swivel to listen to any other approaching paws or even angry hooves that might decide to start a spat with a wolf who was walking away.

The unfamiliar-yet strangely familiar man watched the side of his marred face, something he had grown accustomed to over the years but even now recently, he was certain it was with more disgust than before. A single brow furrowed lightly as though he was ready for the man to say something or bombard him with questions.

“Rosencrantz.” Even the name Loki felt familiar… it wasn’t a strange name by any means, however the man’s appearance and in combination with his name said something else than coincidence - and for some reason, it brought up a long-forgotten rage.

Not at him… at something, someone else.

“Might want to start paying attention.” More as a warning despite his harsh tones. A lone couldn’t afford to be so casual about their presence after all.

the staff team luvs u
03-04-2022, 09:57 PM
The stranger introduced himself as Rosencrantz. Loki thought it a unique name, but kept his comments to himself. He approached the other male, tail waving in friendliness as he stepped around the bush he had been partially hiding behind. Loki was oblivious to the turmoil that his name and appearance was bringing Rosencrantz. Having no memory of his past, he couldn't even begin to entertain that they might know each other. 

He nodded his agreement. You're right, I should have. I'll make sure I do from here on out, he promised. Loki was not a naughty wolf  by any means, and he didn't want to get into any trouble. He should not only be looking out to avoid trouble with packs, but also to join one. He couldn't stay on his own forever, after all. Do you know the pack nearby? he asked.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
Vanderfell Woods
03-07-2022, 04:34 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2022, 02:25 PM by Rosencrantz. Edited 2 times in total.)
The lad was very agreeable. Whether his word was true that Loki really did take what Rosencrantz was saying to heart or not was uncertain, but it didn't seem like he wanted to argue with a stranger at the very least. A part of the archangel was thankful for that. Too many were fools thinking they knew everything and fought against every advice that was given to them in kindness—even if the kindness was told in a harsh tone.

“I do not.” Nor was he certain if he wanted to find out or not... Rosencrantz wasn't opposed to joining a pack, to having some worth in his life once again than the meaningless life of a traveller. Then again, would they accept a brute like him? Would any pack accept such a mess like he? “Do you wish to know them?”

Turning his single eye to the mountain, a single sluggish flick of his tail was offered as he pondered the following. He could have some use here after all. Even if it was a small part to play in it. “I can assist you if you wish to call for them.” If Loki was nervous, Rosencrantz could be here to watch over the meeting.

the staff team luvs u
03-07-2022, 04:18 PM
The other male admitted he didn't know the neighboring pack, and then asked if Loki wanted to. A surprised look crossed his features, because he hadn't really considered it. But, why hadn't he? He was a social wolf, wanted to be part of a pack. So, why not? He was a little surprised when the other male offered to stay near by if Loki wanted to call for them. He glanced towards the boarders of the pack, then back to the male. That's very considerate of you, he noted. I would appreciate it if you did, he said sincerely. With no memory, Loki couldn't remember ever having done this, and it seemed less daunting with someone experienced nearby. 

Gathering his courage, he howled for someone from the pack. He hoped that since he was calling, whoever came would understand he was friendly, and not looking for trouble. He glanced to his now best friend forever for assurance that what he did was right. 

I'll put a link up in discord to request someone from Vanderfell Woods to join :-)
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
03-07-2022, 10:00 PM
A song channeled the wind, its volume faint from distance as it spiraled the upper peaks of the summit. Rare was it for one to call, yet this week the wolves of Vanderfell had been popular. Ira wondered what now brought forth a traveler, and given the distance, would waste no time traveling down to the base of the summit. Along the way, her own howl would ring to signal to their guest and the rest of the pack that she had heard the call and would be making her way to respond.

Whoever this guest was had called from their hunting grounds, something she would consider even rarer given the strength of "claim" they held over the Run. Perhaps they wished to join? Why else call from such a distance? Of course, they may simply be a weary traveler passing by, perhaps with the thought for manners before they took what belonged to others. By the time she reached Ullarcraig she had long since run through her list of possibilities, golden eyes drifting unto two males. One appeared rather average in looks, his pelt consisting of greyscale and tan, while the other...

The other towered, ghastly in comparison as if even death steered clear. It was plain by his face that he had fought his own battles time and time again, yet here he stood a victor. Truthfully they did not look as if they belonged together which begged the question of how both had ended on her doorstep. You are the one who calls? She referred to neither directly assuming whatever business they brought came together. I hail from Vanderfell Woods, the pack who claims the summit and this run. Whatever business you bring I may handle. For now she would leave out her title until she knew more of these strangers and their goals.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-07-2022, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2022, 01:20 AM by Rosencrantz. Edited 1 time in total.)
Why did assisting Loki to contact the wolves of the mountains matter at all to him? Matter enough to offer his presence and support while he called for the leaders to come and greet him with the information he wished to obtain from the pack lurking in these peaks?

It didn't. Not at all to him.

But a part of him felt obliged. Like in a past life this was the right thing to do with a previous packmate to find a safe home. Even if neither did truly remember the other. It was a shadow of a time lost long ago, and perhaps that was answer enough. To honour past dues.

While Loki called out to the mountain the Yeti remained quiet and watchful. Seating himself just behind Loki as a guardian of sorts and keeping his ears on a swivel. A single song rang out in response, letting the men know that someone was swiftly approaching.

A tall woman with scars of her own appeared. Stoic and beautiful in her own way - she had to be the leader here or the leader to have someone like her under their thumb had to be some force of their own. As she spoke, Rosencrantz nudged Loki to speak. This was his meeting after all, Rosencrantz was simply here for support and guidance.

the staff team luvs u
03-08-2022, 12:14 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2022, 12:15 AM by Loki Andreas.)
The responding howl came much quicker than Loki expected, and he turned wide eyes to the new friend that had settled in behind him. Thankfully, though, the wolf had a bit of traveling to do. Wait, should they have gotten closer to the borders? No, surely the pack wouldn't want that. But, were they too far anyways? Loki wished he had some kind of memories of his life before his awakening to tell him the answers to his silent questions. But, he had nothing. He was going on pure instinct. 

He had some idea of an average-looking wolf with a friendly disposition coming up to them. The wolf that came into view, however, was anything but average. She was tall, toned, and Loki could swear he saw shades of purple in her fur. She was unlike anything he ever imagined. His jaw hung slightly agape as he took her in, and it was several moments before he realized she had spoken. Oh, yes, he said quickly, trying to recover. I-uh, paused. What exactly was it that he wanted? To be nosy about their pack? Join? Should he blindly join? Speak, Loki! his brain commanded him. I called... because I am looking for a home and was wanting to know what kind of pack Ven-fel—Vendelfel—Venderfaller, he finally settled on, is like. 

He quieted and tried to look like someone they might want in their pack. What was that supposed to look like? He had no idea.
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
03-08-2022, 01:39 AM
The titan with a torn face said nothing in her approach, instead only nudging his companion to pull him out of some kind of stupor. Ira would watch him stumble through his words, her eyes drifting once more to the guardian beside him while he settled on what to call her pack. Upon closer inspection, it was clear the smaller man was actually a yearling, perhaps nearing adulthood but not quite there. It was not unusual had he left his home to pave a path of his own, intimidating surely, though she hoped his skills might offer more than his conversation.

Vahn— dur— fell She would draw out each syllable in hopes that they might not fall on deaf ears. She took no offense to those who were unfamiliar with her native tongue, but if he wished to live here he must learn to properly pronounce the title he would bear. We are a pack founded on strength and honor. Should you find us fitting for a home you will be expected to pull your weight. Have you any skills to offer? He was young of course meaning less to offer, or so she assumed, but that did not squander his potential. Should he be willing to learn then what state he currently stood in mattered little.

Idly she wondered why the other had not spoken yet. Perhaps he did not hold the same interests as the boy before her. Unfortunate if he held no desire for a pack, he looked capable of command. Start with your names. What is it you seek? An indirect way to find where their hearts may lay as well as if either were a true fit for the Summit.

the staff team luvs u
03-08-2022, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2022, 11:49 PM by Rosencrantz. Edited 1 time in total.)
Loki was incredibly awkward—almost pathetically so even to Rosencrantz's standards. The young man clearly had no remembered experience with pack wolves let alone their leaders in general. Perhaps it was best indeed that the Archangel was here to help support him through this stressful ordeal. Maybe if he botched this meeting he would already be prepared for the next attempt.

The woman introduced her pack. It sounded all and well, stable with good morals. Honour stuck out and reminded the barbarian that perhaps it would be harder for him to find anywhere suitable, surely he was far from honourable remembering the little past experiences that followed him here in this new life.

“Rosencrantz Mortensen.” He croaked deeply. “Passing through.” Even if his presence here and now might say something else. Not wanting to take the limelight away from Loki who wanted to join, the titan opted to keep anything he said short and sweet (more so than usual).

It wasn't awful that he was finally learning about what packs roamed these lands either. It would help to map out this new land he found himself in since waking up.

the staff team luvs u
03-08-2022, 02:11 PM
The female pack wolf was incredibly patient with Loki, and Loki was aware enough to recognize it. His tail swayed a bit at his hocks as she slowly repeated the name of the pack she was from. Vahn-dur-fell, he repeated successfully. Her temperament calmed him, and he was able to start using his brain a bit more. 

His eyes went back to the female when she ask what skills he had to offer. Loki tried his best to remember, but nothing came forward. He did decide, however, that honesty was the best policy here. I woke up not long ago here, with no memory of my life before that moment, he explained. I don't know what I did before, I don't know if I was a warrior, though I firmly doubt it, he said with a grin, hoping to keep her interest. I do know I need a home, and I am very willing learn whatever your pack can teach me, he settled on. His heart was racing in his chest, and his voice staggered in places, but he was proud of himself for at least getting the words out. 

She asked names, and he felt dumb for not introducing himself. He glanced back to his friend, who now had a name. Rosencrantz! Loki would bore the name into his head, never to forget it again, nor would he forget how the male had taken time out of his day to help him in this endeavor. Loki knew Rosencrantz didn't have to do that. He turned back to the female. I'm Loki Andreas,  he added. Rosencrantz and I just met, and he was kind enough to help me through this meeting since I have no idea what I'm doing, he said honestly.
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
03-08-2022, 08:43 PM
So she had been correct in her assessment. Rosencrantz would only be passing through though it still begged the question as to why he waited for Loki. Really his reason mattered little and his business was his own, unfortunate as it was should she not sway him. Loki's story was by far unoriginal. She and many others had come to hear those words time and time again by now to which she could only let out a hum from her throat.

Fresh blood then... Strange as it may be, many have lost their way and awoke here suddenly. Memories seem to range from little to everything. If you seek a new purpose then we may be suitable after all. If he was willing to train as a paladin then there was no good reason to turn him away. They would always save place for one willing to defend, even if they lacked the training. Choose a path of dedication. You need not worry should you want for more, it will not be binding. You are young, and as things stand, talents unknown. If you wish to join, you will be paired with a mentor should we have someone of fit.

Ideally she would test his skill now, but the boy was young and had his head full of fog. She remembered what it was like waking here. Chances were, she would not have an accurate result lest she waited for him to recover what memories he could, so she might as well accept him to train anew.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-09-2022, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2022, 11:56 PM by Rosencrantz.)
There he sat like some dishevelled obelisk, watching like some wolf carved in stone. Only his breathing indicated any life beneath the stoicism as he listened and watched the meeting unfold.

Loki's explanation would make sense for him not having that same recollection of Rosencrantz as the paladin did for him; not that Rose did anything to indicate much of that thought either. Though it seemed that the story he and Guildenstern had were the same as others. The woman here said it was a common story among many, and Loki being in the same boat... well, it was less alarming to think that you weren't alone in such a strange occurrence.

Had he known Ira's thoughts perhaps he would have reacted defensively, instead, nothing happened other than just talk. Instead, the way she spoke had him reassured that Loki would be in good paws here. Whatever life this had before this that gave him that familiar feeling would be soothed knowing he did everything to make sure Loki would be fine in the end.

Feeling that he was no longer needed, the archangel offered a small bow of his head in respect to the woman. A silent thank you for taking in Loki before turning to leave. He wouldn't say goodbye to Loki, that wasn't the Rosencrantz way after all, especially in his new life. The natural thing for him to do felt to just disappear, and that was what he would do.

the staff team luvs u
03-10-2022, 01:14 AM
His ears perked when the female explained that Loki wasn't the only one with the experience of waking up in a strange place. It made him feel better, like he was a little less out of place here. At least he had something in common with some of the wolves there. He wished he had some of his memories from where ever he was before here, but he guessed he couldn't really miss what he didn't know. 

She was welcoming him into her pack, and his tail swished side to side as the realization set it. He must not have been that been that awkward or bad if she was letting him in, right? He would even get someone to show him the ropes and teach him! He turned his head towards Rosencrantz just in time to see him bow his head and turn to leave. 

His excitement turned to panic when he realized they would have to part. He frowned, torn between going with the female, and going after Rosencrantz. By the time his brain really caught up, Rosencrantz had walked from his view, blocked by the trees between them. Loki released a low whine as he turned back to the female, suddenly left alone with her. I'd appreciate a spot in your pack, he said, the excitement gone from him voice. I promise, I'll pull my weight, and I'll learn quickly, he added, attempting to assure her that he was good gamble.
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
03-10-2022, 02:06 AM
can wrap here? at this point we can either do another thread maybe post tour and ira can mention how the pack works/answer questions or you can assume she mentioned it on the tour and he would know anything on the compendium page!

Whatever the reason, it seemed the ghost had decided his part was done. She too would watch with lingering eyes as he drifted away. Whatever bond they had did not seem particularly close for the man to leave with no word, yet there was a noticeable shift in mood from the boy once he had returned his attention. So far he had made promises, more so eager to join than to discuss the details. Loki had yet to offer what specifically he planned to bring, but perhaps it mattered little to him.

He had joked about his abilities as a paladin and frankly from his build she could agree. Of course, there was still room to mold him and every member should be trained in self-defense at the very least, but there were likely better areas suited to him. Maybe a hunter? Ira. The was a pause after her name was uttered. By all means, he would likely be confused but he should know the names of those he would be under if he was to live here. High Queen of Vanderfell. I rule beside my husband, Hieronymous. I suppose we shall start with a tour. Turning in place, she would set pace for the mountain.

the staff team luvs u
03-10-2022, 01:06 PM
Yup, I'll wrap it up here, and we can assume Ira gave him a tour and the low-down! <3

It felt almost wrong to be going off with his new High Queen without Rosencrantz. Loki wasn't sure why he felt such a strong pull towards the other male after having just met him, but it would be an itch he would never really get rid of. Ira turned to lead him to the packlands and Loki moved to follow her. 

But not without one more glance back in the direction he had last seen Rosencrantz.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top