Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
And rust in my mind

P
Vanderfell Woods
03-01-2022, 04:43 AM
As soon as Hieronymous was certain Ragnar had gone, the High King turned to make his way toward Ira where her own call had rang out just moments ago. Unfortunately, the news he would give her after today wasn't what he would have liked to give her. Had he destroyed a possible alliance she had wished to create?

Even if he wasn't a fan of the Nordic man, he wasn't pleased with the outcome. Frankly, he would have preferred if it was all just a simple misunderstanding and they all could have gotten along after that... yet sadly, it was not how it went. In fact, the complete opposite had occurred. Hieronymous was irate by the blatant disrespect. The hairs along his spine never settled since their awakening earlier and his usual breezy trot was nailed down to the ground with hurried, heavy paws.

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Paladin
03-02-2022, 03:05 AM
Finding her shouldn't come as difficult, not when the two practically knew one another's every step. Ira had continued along the borders just as she had planned, hoping to finish by the time Hiero called for her, but much to her surprise, it was he who came to her instead. Something was off, anyone who knew the painted knight would be able to spot it radiating off of him a mile away and the realization made her step falter. Has he gone so soon? There was no sound of another at his tail nor did she think he would leave a guest at their door. Instead, his fur bristled so. Something had happened.

Truthfully, she had never seen her husband riled up. Annoyed, sure, but this was different. Ragnar did not seem like the type of man to raise such a reaction, but their meeting had been ever brief. Perhaps she misjudged him, blinded by a commonality she rarely shared. Orlaith had also been displeased after her encounter with the northerner, but that seemed hardly worth mention until now.

the staff team luvs u
03-02-2022, 03:22 AM
Thankfully it was never difficult to find Ira. Even without his nose to guide him like all the other canines out there, she was at least easy to track down with her own routines and general draw to the borders.

Haunted by what had occurred, there was no smile on his lips that normally would blossom at the sight of her. Seafoam eyes averted their gaze onto her as Ira questioned if Ragnar was gone already. Lips held tight against the other before parting to speak as level as he could considering the mood he was in.

“Yes.” It felt bitter to speak at the moment. “Preferably never to return.” Not only did Hieronymous voice that the man was no longer welcome to visit Vanderfell, but Ragnar too indicated the feeling was mutual before vanishing.

With a heavy sigh, the High King turned to cast his eyes onto Ira. An apology painted within their hues. “I hope you weren't planning on allying with them as of today that might be impossible.”

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Counsellor
03-02-2022, 05:25 AM
A brow would raise as her husband's gaze averted her own. His opinion of the man had been made clear, that much was certain, but there was still little explanation as to why. I have had no reason to consider such. He is a man barely known, his family across the away. Supposedly somewhere along the sea, somewhere she had not yet even seen with her own eyes. Additionally, there were still matters to settle with those she did wish to further bonds with, but that was neither here nor there.

Needless to say though, even if she did wish relations that door had seemingly closed. Pray tell, what drew you to such conclusions. I have seen you face to face with a bear and walk away with a skip in your step. What has Ragnar done to anger you so? She did not question his motives. Hiero never seemed like one to grow jealous nor did he have his suspicions as far as she knew. This was no matter of insecurities. If her husband was upset, it was with good reason.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-02-2022, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2022, 05:59 PM by Hieronymous. Edited 1 time in total.)
The hairs along his back softened. Finding their proper place among the rest. He couldn't stay mad for very long in Ira's soothing presence. Brows arched worriedly as he gaze at her, listening to the questions that followed.

There was a certain shame he felt at letting his emotions rise the way they did.

Lips remained taut as the High King thought over the meeting. How to describe it all and relay it without prejudice. “It began well enough, some introductions were necessary.” Which frankly he didn't think twice of it. “However as soon as I ask his business with you, without waiting for a response Ragnar began to leave.” Something that made his brows crease once more.

Such actions from an "innocent man" as he proclaimed to be were far more suspicious than he painted.

“I had no intention of stopping his departure, however, it was when he feigned ignorance. That his visits of 'pleasantries' were innocent and nothing to question. He is disonest. A man with a large ego and a bigger head. I have no desire to ally with the likes of him.”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-02-2022, 06:52 AM
So once more he left simply because she had not shown? Her brows pulled, breaking the usual stony mask she wore with confusion. She had found it strange before to come to such lengths only to leave without a word, even when another who governed sat freely with time at his disposal, though before she could pass it as a one-off occurrence. Now it had happened twice with Hieronymous present as well.

Frankly, she found it ridiculous. Whatever news or curiosities he held could be trusted with her husband of all people. He held his own rights and should an outsider turn tail on him then it was not just a statement to Hieronymous, but the pack as a whole. So he held no good reason for his behavior? The question was stated more akin to a fact than true questioning. Really she saw no reason for Ragnar to turn away from Hiero aside from the suggestion her husband underlined in his wording. Of course, that too seemed ridiculous for a number of reasons should his theory ring true.

You know you have as much say as I. If that is how you feel I will not argue. I have no ground on which to stand to defend him with my few interactions. Alas, I can not help but think he will return once more in an attempt to meet with me so perhaps I shall pay him visit myself. She had no desire truly to go to such lengths for an ordeal potentially resolved, but should Ragnar ignore her King's word and dishonor, not just him, but herself as well for whom she had trusted, then she would simply have to take manners into her own hands where he might finally listen.

I will see to it that Ragnar knows the consequences of his actions.

the staff team luvs u
03-05-2022, 06:07 PM
“I don't believe I gave him reason to behave that way.” Not to be as defensive or rude at least. Nervous perhaps, but that was far from the impression Hieronymous got from the haughty man of the North. Thinking back to the meeting, even now he believed it was all to clear the air as opposed to sending out accusations. “By my understanding he had no interest in me or the pack, only you.” Which made his brow crease. He had absolute faith in Ira, it was Ragnar now who was acting suspiciously.

“After that, I believe he had ulterior motives for you.” And with a disgusted flick of his tongue, it was like Hiero was trying to wash the taste out of his mouth. To think that such a slimy man would play such silly, childish games. Even if he wasn't married to Ira, the way Ragnar went about it would still have rubbed Hieronymous the wrong way as a man.

“You have my trust. I will remain here and watch over the pack while you're away.” He couldn't help the cheeky grin to peek through either, knowing how much of an earful Ragnar would get coming for him now.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
03-05-2022, 11:16 PM
Truly she had no reason to doubt him. Hieronymous was not the type to ruffle feathers. Infact, more oft than not he was found soothing situations before they could escalate. From the past two visits alone she found herself agreeing with her husband. If Ragnar was interested in Vanderfell as a whole he would have held no issue speaking with their High King. A frown tugged her lips at Hiero's suggestion, but she could not push it out of the realm of possibilities.

Perhaps...I do recall the note of "mothers" to his brood. She knew not what motives Ragnar had for her, but if he truly saw her as a conquest to keep beneath the belt then he was sorely mistaken. She had thought little of it then, but she had always found it dishonorable to split your loyalty so. Fear not my King, I am not one to sever your trust. Ira would close the gap between them, her head pressed below his as she passed. May the Gates of Valhalla close upon my arrival should I betray you. She knew no doubt laid here, but she would speak so with ease should her heart need proving.

I will keep my visit brief. And should he have nothing else to add then she would see to preparations for her coming trip.

the staff team luvs u
03-10-2022, 04:09 PM
It seemed Ragnar had already admitted to having multiple partners for his children. The man was still relatively young though Hieronymous did hope that it simply meant he re-married due to the tragic passing of his first wife... however, a part of him knew that wasn't the case. The way Ragnar carried himself was far from that of a humble family man. A frown creased his features once more. Just thinking that Ragnar would treat Ira as just another conquest, another woman to give him children - it was infuriating.

He had decided here and now that he would be dead before Ira would be treated like some concubine to any man. Even if she were to ever leave him for another.

As Ira broke the gap between them to press her head against his, Hieronymous' tail would swish happily in a slow rhythm behind him. “My faith is unwavering.” He'd say just loud enough for her ears to catch.

Their meeting was brief as usual, and he wouldn't change a thing. Ira was already saying her departing words. “Travel swiftly, travel safely.” Was all he had left to add.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top