Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
You make every thing so fun,

Late Evening Fog
AW
Discovery
12-01-2021, 10:30 PM
As Roshanak crossed lands, she aligned to the beaches. A coast, where she could not see beyond the waves and the land far, far away as not through the naked eye. A crossing, where there was no way to continue heading west and her best choice was now either north and south. Though she spent more time to the mountains, exploring it fully as she had done so with the Plains — though at the same time, gathering for her wares.

The ocean always rolled in mysterious objects within their waters.. It brought a mystery to it's vibe, as there was always something about it that brought a curiosity. And yet, the beach came across brought an eeriness Roshanak did not enjoy. It may her fur stand, crawling in skin as the cold fog was coming in — the sun setting, giving a bleak look to the gloomy sands. Drifting through, old wood and pale sand coming through as her paws tredged through, a white eye looking toward the pines that laid distances away. Her tail flickered, as slowly did she align to the bay waters and gently pushed through it's liquid.

Though froze — for the yawning sound of a beast was heard in a distance. She prowled down, in a hostile position as the sound continued on and yet, Roshanak couldn't pin-point. She would gaze to the pines, to the ocean, and all that she could see was the fog, and the smelling of salt and woods. Yet the beastly sound did not stop, it only grew louder as her ears covered so slightly — she would call out who was there.

Though before Roshanak could make a sound — it stopped.

What was left was the sounds of waves, gently grooving to the damp sands.. The fog continually coming forward, leaving no direction to where she could move. An eerie silence, which seemed almost worse then the mysterious behemoth.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Adventurer
12-02-2021, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2021, 03:05 AM by Sindri. Edited 1 time in total.)
Lost souls wandered here. Fitting that the Isle wolves would seek to claim this stretch of land along the Mainland coast line. They lived upon the Leviathan's back, after all.

Sindri strode the length of the fog land, same as her daughter had done moments before her murder. Sindri didn't know this was the spot and yet knew her daughter better and due to her ailment, unlikely to trespass onto the islands themselves.

The little wolf heard the cries. The moaning roar of lost souls, hidden away in the thick fog. It was disorienting, unsettling and it had the hairs along the wolf's spine stand on end.

Then, she sees it, the large stripped cat and Sindri is frozen in fear for her life.
the staff team luvs u

12-21-2021, 06:42 PM
A wolf came to the beach, and yet did not smell like the same scents that crawled to the borders. It brought an eyelift of curiosity, for weren't wolves particular about borders? Though she knew of fights and brawls that may happen, but did not think many were so.. Bold to try — yet at the same time, Roshanak could smell how weak these wolves were to their coast border, and felt it was a shame that with so, many would cross without even thinking twice.. Much like herself. It was a shame to whoever was guarding it, wasn't doing the appropriate job to lure others away.

She looked between the fog, a golden and white wolf that held similar scents though of ice and sea, and wondered if that meant.. She was close to the north. Alas, wolves were overly cautious of beings like herself, and Roshanak remained silence, to not spook the other off.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
01-09-2022, 04:13 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2022, 02:53 AM by Sindri. Edited 1 time in total.)
The little huntress did not smell any of the islanders near and so did not fear. Would she have anyway? No. It was wolves like her and @Ghidorah which awaited the opportunity to bleed out the islanders for ending a life of their own. Blood for blood, as it were. A life for a life.

But Sindri would go no further. No. Not at the sight of the great cat- far heftier then any snow leopard or lynx she had crossed before. No, though she had never faced one herself, she knew it to be a tiger. Maybe, if she were lucky, the stripped cat would make a meal or two of her enemy.

How mighty fine this creature would have looked within the forest and cliffs of Northfall.

The peachy northerner dipped her head respectfully and began to back away toward the safely of home once more.
the staff team luvs u

01-19-2022, 09:17 PM
"Hello there," and yet the other dipped in what seemed to be a polite greeting. There was no hostility, nor' a roaring tide from the other wolves that hail to this beach. It was a silence, hanging in the air besides the eerie sound of a moaning craft within a distance ear. She twitched, swivling her ears to catch the direction of so but it almost seemed like they were surrounded by such beast ; but no smell came to be. It was just the two of them, embracing the foggy day.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
01-30-2022, 08:26 PM
“The fog never seems to clear here...” Her voice, a murmur, when the large cat spoke to her, a tone of greeting and acceptance and with lack of hostility. Sindri did not often speak to other creatures, savor the God likened raven. Most were considered food or competition for food. She had heard of tribes though where beasts of all kinds worked together. She was curious...

“A place for lonely wanderers and lost souls...” She'd not stay long. Sindri had only a means to stealthy move though the fog, to gauge her enemy. Her enemy was not here, now.
the staff team luvs u

02-15-2022, 11:29 PM
"How unfortunate," she said with a bit of sympathy. It would not do well for any who lived near, to always be captured within this fog. Perhaps a good defense and yet to hunt was not a fortune they would get. The other spoke somewhat like a crypt keeper, and it brought a stand-still to the conversation that Roshanak was not sure how to proceed.. Especially as it felt the other was still bit wary, but only assumed that, just because her presence in general, had others be in fear.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
02-19-2022, 03:03 AM
There was an oddly lingering moment which passed between them, then another. Out here in this heavy fog, it messed with ones senses. She couldn't see much of anything around then, the heavy sea salt in the air marred her ability to smell. The Dragonford wolves used this as their hunting ground, given it being the closest mainland coast to get to. Sindri didn't imagine it did them much good.

After another moment, she looks back to the stripped cat. “Do you live near?” She wonders, “I just honestly never seen a tiger before... could only assume none lived far north.” Just in the same manner she'd never seen a horse in the north or snow leopard in the south.
the staff team luvs u

02-20-2022, 05:09 PM
"I currently reside no where, but most of my kind do live within the north." She was relatively close to the tundra and though did not show, was a bit downhearted to hear the lacking of her kind. She would need to adjust quickly to this world, and thought homeage to where she was most familiar to — the endless arctic forests. It would be nice, to associate with other tigers and how they are handling this strange world.

"Do you live in the north?" She asked politely, continuing a friendly smile.

the staff team luvs u
02-20-2022, 11:45 PM
“Oh...” Was all she really had for a reply to the other woman as she spoke that she did not particularly have a home although the majority of her kind did live within the north, somewhere. Maybe Sindri had been lucky enough not to have enountered a tiger before until now, for she doubted many others would have been as friendly towards what most considered predatory competition.

“I do.” She said then as the conversation was turned onto her. Sindri's head turns to the side, muzzle jutting behind. “Those mountains over there. Northfall is my home.” The mountain caps could barely be seen from here even though the Brim was not at all far. The fog blocked out even the whole of the world around them. “I'm Sindri Swiftkill And you? Not every day I get to make the acquaintance of a tiger.”
the staff team luvs u

02-24-2022, 11:00 PM
A small chuckle was released thinking of the irony of her words, and the other lived within a place called Northfall. A white gaze slipped past but alas through the fog it could not be seen. Even a shadow did not fall onto the land — assuming it was relatively, somewhere alongside the beach. She could give a pitied look, for that reason even if the other explained, she could not tell.

"I am Roshanak, though I do not have a last name. Tell me, did you create or inherit it?" A general curiosity came from the tigress, as wolves were fickle beings. She met plenty who never shared a last name and generally found it rare until travelling to the stars itself, land beyond the mortal realms.. Each world had it's picking, whether wolves carried traditions or not.

But Sindri Swiftkill, she couldn't help but wonder if there was a story to it.

the staff team luvs u
02-25-2022, 05:08 PM
The expression on the stripped cat's features allowed Sindri to know that the heights of the mountain chain could not be seen from here. No matter really, lest the cat ever felt the need to visit.

“It is a given name.” She answered to the tiger, now Roshanak's, curiosity. But she would not be curt with the stranger. After all, the cat seemed to give her more good, yet simple, conversation then many of the others of her own kind she had met thus far.

“Not a family name like one might pass to children to take when wed. It is something that is given through actions or deeds. Swiftkill was titled to me by my way of killing through hunt or battle. I am quite fast and know many useful points to attack in order to bring something, or someone, down swiftly.” She explained this and as she did so, a certain pride shown in her stance and a smile on her features. Not one of big-headedness but of appreciation and almost nostalgic as she thought of this.

“Maybe one day you will be given one fitted for you. ”
the staff team luvs u

02-26-2022, 02:08 AM
The other explained and brought a more curiosity to Roshanak, perhaps the smallest desire to see these swift motions within battle. But alas, she also wasn't one that would jump into or easily participate. She preferred avoiding such unpleasantries, and enjoying the greater times of life itself. But it couldn't be denied a wonder of someone granted a title, how she would be seen in such a battle.

"Your pack must value you a lot to give such a name," she commented with a smile, the sound of praise within her voice, "though I do not mind not having such titles.. I enjoy simply being Roshanak."

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
03-01-2022, 05:17 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2022, 05:18 AM by Sindri. Edited 1 time in total.)
Sindri laughs a little, shaking her head. “Roshanak sounds perfectly fine to me.” She speaks with a small smile and slight wave of a creamy and peach tail at her hocks.

Looking around from the cat, all seemed so still and silent around them. This entire time, no birds, no scurrying of animals in the gloom. Just the two of them with the fogging air all around.

“I best be going, really... Our neighboring pack is known to kill others for stepping on their 'hunting grounds'.” At least this is the story she had been sticking too. Ynness knew the islands were claimed- hated it but knew not to tread there and likely would not have been able to since her disability. The only thing left was the Brim which Kei had said that they also now claimed theirs. “I wouldn't hope to get a standbyer wrapped up in our war.”
the staff team luvs u

03-07-2022, 03:14 AM
"I see.." As a tigress, she didn't have intense worry about a wolf challenging herself. She knew her own strength as one, but as well as her own limitations. A pack could take a single one down if they found Roshanak a nuisance. She wasn't interested in the fighting between them either, preferring a neutral side-view. Some part of her was interested in these wolves, for one who claimed they were killers.. Yet a nod of acknowledgement, and a knowing she should not return to this beach, as a 'just-in-case' scenario. Ah, to be a curious mind, "thank you for that information."

Maybe a different day, she would come across to these sea-dwelling wolves in a more neutral land.

"Then I bid you well and safety." Some part of her wanted to ask why was she hovering around the area, knowing that they were too, dwelling. But she seemed adamant to leave and perhaps was just passing by. The only way to truly pass through otherwise was going through the mountains, and she knew well that was quite a pain for those less acquaintanced on that pathway.

A small smile was given, as she firstly waited for the other to turn back before she did. She would hope to come across the swiftkiller again, and maybe see why she had gained such a title.

the staff team luvs u
03-11-2022, 05:23 PM
“And to you.” A small smile was offered and she turned around, taking note that the tigress watched her go off before she too turned way. Maybe Sindri would see the stripped cat again. Maybe even within the open tundra where she might find more of her kind.

Sindri's exploration had not been in vain, however. She hadn't found someone to fight but she had found someone a friendly acquaintance.
the staff team luvs u

scroll to top