Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
You stay,

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
AW
Adventurer
11-18-2021, 01:04 AM
Location: the small elephant strip between plains and tundra.

The afternoon brought forth a hungering twist, a wandering mind and a restless spirit. She drew herself away from the Golden Glades and felt a need toward the mountains ahead. She faced with the north and the south between, two lurking masses within these places. They held high in an intimidation, and a longing to which if she should try and travel forth to.. Though would it be a longer journey then intended? 

When she lifted her nose and smelled that was around, the faintest of wolves were to the south — the mountains there were claimed. If she tried to step surely a wolf would be in the way, and she did not want to impose on their land.. Yet it brought a curiosity, for who was claiming over yonder? Though to the others, it seemed absent of those smells, or so she would hope. The faintest memory of meeting @Valmúa from the Everfrost with the weakened borders — members who seemed to try new claims and haven't taken hold.. She feared to tempt that fate once more.

A challenge of thought, as she faced looking to those wonderous peaks. 

@Thraximundar

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-18-2021, 01:28 AM
 He moved onwards, flowing with the winds and the snow as he always did. His belly was rumbling, as was per usual with the large beast. He had a big appetite that he felt was never quite filled, just muted, when he managed to snag a carcass. He was now in one of those in-between times where he searched for food, after that he would search for knowledge as was his love. On the breeze he could scent the ever-present tinge of wolves but that was not what he hunted, what he wanted was something a bit more substantial. He was not near enough to the waters where the seals roamed but he was in the range, instead, of caribou. They weren't as tasty as seals but they would do. Well, maybe... he wasn't exactly adept at hunting the wily things. He was much better ambushing and stalking but the beasts usually caught sight of him before he could get too close, he supposed he should at least try, however. Or he would be hungry for a while. 

So, like a drift of snow he wandered across the world, following his keen nose. Tracking along that wayward smell on the breeze when he noticed the golden ray of fur easily detectable against the white backdrop. Ah, one of those wolven scents that tinged the air. The gal looked quite pensive, eyeing the mountains above as she stood there in the passing sunlight. So that he wouldn't spook her, the tundran king would let out a huff to catch her attention. "Are you thinking of prey or of other problems, miss?" He would ask, wanting to show his goodwill by being friendly. He knew some wolves were easy to spook because of his size and he would let them know right off the bat that he wasn't trying to be unkind or intimidating. He would even come to a stop several yards away with his long neck extended as he sniffed the air and garnered her scent to his memory.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: deve50g-63ea11b5-eb48-4527-800d-5e485a56...OPfa-MLat4]
Adventurer
11-18-2021, 01:39 AM
A breeze passed by, the faintest of smells had caught by her nose. The tundra was known for its large prey — caribou blessing the northern wolves in time of need. For one feast could feed a pack for quite some time, yet a challenge, and nearly impossible task for one that was alone. A group would always outmatch any odds.. It felt her reasoning to stay within the Golden Glade, as it reminded her of the power that came in numbers, and how it was before she came to this land — before being banished. A shake of the head though as she had to remind herself that the time was no more, and she should not think about it so often. It was hard to let go, for a soul always desired to go back to the birthplace..

Then it grew closer, the smell if caribou but something else on the wind. A faint musk in the air that caused the slightest bristle in fur, in a guard of wariness as it reminded her all the beasts that were, one wolves tended to fear, and rival against the woodlands itself. To stay clear what was needed, a warning to the others there was one far too close — and it approached, but not with snarling of a monster and running like a horse, a friendly coming, and a voice that sounded all too familiar to what she hears from wolves, with the faintest touch of warmth. It brought a calmness to herself, ruffling fur simmering down back to her slim coat as she gave a curious look to the fellow..

A polar bear.

"I'm sorry," she firstly apologized, "I am not used to non-wolves speaking to me.. Though it seems to be common in these parts," as she noted @Khadne, a wolverine could also speak the same language, "I don't mean to seem rude if I stutter or gaze," she gave an awkward, anxious-induced laugh for her future apology of any mishaps. Uriel would not want to upset a bear, especially not a polar bear..  Far bigger then the ones lingering in the forests in the southern lands — something to be feared even more.

"I was only wondering who else may be within the mountains, for there are few newly claiming wolves around," though she only met one, and vaguely knew of another.. It did bring a question if there is more..

the staff team luvs u
11-18-2021, 01:57 AM
 He could see the reaction he pulled from her, the bristled fur that was likely an automatic fear-response. He took no offense; he never did for he understood the reason why they'd be so cautious about him. It was natural and it was, of course, the safest bet. He was happy to see though, that his words did just as he intended and she was put at ease. "No need to apologize, young miss, if I were in your paws I'd be the same way." Especially if he'd found someone three times his size in a shape that he likely didn't often see. "It is the norm here. Creatures that can speak to each other... if they so choose, that is." He chuckled and thought about a few instances of stubborn beasts that he knew could speak to him but chose not to for some reason or other. No matter, no matter at all. It took a great much for him to be offended by anything. At his age and size, most things just rolled right off of his back. 

When she spoke to his question he nodded and gave a warm smile. "It seems you and I wander for the same reasons, then. Well, ah, partially, for my hunger is moving me towards the caribou now. After that, I will continue my search for other packs." He wasn't exactly wandering now for the wolves but instead for the prey but he didn't mind stopping to satiate his thirst to know. "I have seen and smelled many of your fellows recently and have been wandering hither and yon, acquainting myself with them." He would swing his great head southwestard to indicate the distant mountains that lay in the far reaches of the tundra straight to the mountains. "That way is a claim by a pack if you are so interested. Kind fellows there, yes." Hieronymous with his ever-watchful guard. He remembered them fondly as he swung his head back around to look at the woman. "Unless you already know of them, then please, pardon my forwardness." He wouldn't want to be rude and making grand assumptions about what she did and didn't know.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-24-2021, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2021, 04:01 AM by Uriel.)
"Where I am from that is unheard of, and a surprise to hear." She let a strained smile, perhaps the continual apology for her reaction. It was definitely unusual, for where Uriel remembered creatures simply did not speak like the other so friendly, or even within the same tongue in that mattered. Yet they claimed it was the norm, and she had to agree remembering even more fauna that continual talked the same way without a predjuce.. Though remembering the wolverine, there was an anger, but not a pure resentment toward the wolves or a large territorial resistance. 

The land seemed friendly, and Uriel rather enjoyed and respected the factor — unaware of the many turmoil's that occurred around.

"I'm afraid i'm rather fresh to the air, and don't know of many packs, nor' of many prey trails.." A gaze was following to the unknown, an ear flickering in an acknowledgement of some being of yonder. Though she would not visit, feeling it might be rude to poke and prod on who they were and what they were about, there was a thankful gaze given to the other for this piece of knowledge. But it seemed there was a mutual wandering, for though she could smell them routine somewhere around, not knowing it — caused a difficulty to find it. She wondered whose nose was better, a bear, or a wolf?

"I am Uriel," the golden wolf greeted with a faint, warm smile and a gentle polite voice, "a pleasure to meet you."

the staff team luvs u
11-25-2021, 01:11 AM
 Hmm, made sense. Plenty of wolves seemed surprised about his knack for the Common Tongue while he considered it as natural as breathing. "I hope a pleasant surprise." He said with a rumble of laughter. Hopefully it wouldn't make her feel upset or weird for the common speech that they could all share. In his mind, it just meant more beings to converse with. It was always interesting getting the perspective of those outside your own species, everyone had their own interesting view of the world. You just had to talk with them to see. There was so much out there to learn if you just opened your ears and your eyes to new perspectives. 

Ah, good, he hadn't been sharing information that she already knew. Perhaps she would take the knowledge of the pack he'd gifted and store it for later use. If not for visiting then avoiding. "Oh, but there are plenty, prey trails I know plenty of. Packs, well, hopefully my repertoire of knowledge will grow in the coming months." He could hardly wait to see all the different cultures that the packs held. Bears were not known for their social gatherings and so it was like stepping into a completely different world. 

"Uriel, a pleasure to properly make your acquaintance." He said with a dip of his head, a slight gentlemanly bow. "My name is Thraximundar, wanderer of the tundra and currently very hungry polar bear." But what was new? He was very large and held a bunch of bulk that needed frequent nourishment. He smiled, brightening his craggy face as he extended an offer. "Would you care to hunt with me? Caribou are quick creatures but I believe with your help I can easily fell one that we can share." It wouldn't be a proper full meal for himself but it would allow him to wander further to the waters where the seals resided. Seals were much more his speed, easily snatched out of the water while once the tundran deer started to run they were almost impossible for him to catch... however, if he were to be able to hide in wait in the snow and ambush one. Now that was a different story.

the staff team luvs u
11-29-2021, 08:57 PM
"Very." She said with a pleasant smile — meaning in truth though. It helped to know if these large animals could speak more then just of dull growls between, for perhaps in future time that could mean avoiding battles and death. She couldn't help but recall the fables and lores of bears and other beasts, terrorizing wolves to centuries beyond. Death reeking from each word that was told of their fate.. But she couldn't imagine the bear before her being one from the same stories. He was a gentlemen, she would have to say, and would be beloved by many if he were a wolf. 

"As do I — the realm here is quite a curiosity." She couldn't help admit, a thirst of knowledge to what she does not know. There was many, many she hadn't yet to meet or know. Uriel met quite a few wolves and knew that wasn't the end, especially with exploration as she kept wandering through the land — heart thirsting for more. A home that she can retreat to was a luxury that she fully took advantage of, for it wasn't often that wolves can call a home to go back to. She would hope though, that perhaps some may take the Golden Glade as their own as well ; alongside of herself and Rannoch, and the few that took to it's beauty.

"I would be delighted to, but I am not sure what I can do to help." Her head shifted slightly as she offered a small pitied smile, for a wolf of her size.. Average as she was, Uriel wasn't sure what she could offer to a polar bear.

the staff team luvs u
11-30-2021, 04:12 AM
 Hmm... he eyed her curiously, gaze alight with an almost excited flame. Was she a scholarly wolf? One in the same vein as he? "I see you suffer from the same affliction as I! The need to know what is unknown." Quite an affliction indeed! They were perhaps alike in that they weren't content to sit still and allow dust to collect on the unknown. They had to get out and discover it for themselves, to see what was there and swallow that knowledge to sate themselves. He wondered if she too was a wanderer or if she traveled in a pack. Oh my, a whole pack of scholars now that would be an interesting thing! That was something that he would certainly love to see, as well as talk to. Imagine what new information that could be swapped back and forth! All for the sake of chronicles and improving their mutual databases. 

Ah, but he was lost in his own fantasies. He was prone to doing that nowadays. 

Perhaps they could talk further on such topics later, as of now, he was in dire need of sustenance. It took a lot of meat to keep his great bulk moving. "Ah, there is plenty you can do to help, my dear." He said with a knowing smile before elaborating further. "You see, I think you'd be good at startling some of the creatures towards me. Wolves are quite fleet of paw, or rather, I assume you are more fleet of paw than a lumbering giant like me." Said with a good-natured chuckle before continuing. "All you would have to do is get them to run towards me in a panic. While I'm slow, I'm very good at hiding in snow. Observe." Here, he trundled away a little bit and dug out a shallow scrape in the snow. There he would lower himself down to where the yellowed parts of his body were hidden, he tucked his nose into his fluffy paws to hide it, and then narrowed his eyes so even they were nearly indistinguishable from the white backdrop. If one hadn't seen where he'd gone, they would think that he had vanished. Not to mention panicked deer heading right to his waiting jaws. 

"And once they're in paws' reach, I can fell one --maybe two-- easily." He popped his head up, craggy face broken into a grin. "Clear as mud?" He'd never hunted with another before but he felt that this was an easier way to catch the wily, fleetfooted cervids.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top