Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
How can there be so much you don’t know?

P
Vanderfell Woods
11-18-2021, 12:34 AM
^^A few days ago, the phoenix king had met with an interesting fellow of a nearby pack, who had claimed this little forest as their hunting grounds. Which meant that there might be a chance to fix the trust that Ozai’s temper had broken. It would take effort and time, and while no other canine had been given such things, - not even the one who named him Kishi - Ozai was determined to prove to himself that he could do it.

He was also determined not to continue his streak of pissin’ people off, so he hunted off the pack grounds, and only returned with two bones in his mouth, as to not get wrongfully accused of hunting in places he shouldn’t be, and thus, sat down by the river, glancing up at the mountain, bone in mouth, with the other by his feet, and the tilt of his head.

Was he even allowed to request an audience with the king, or should he just wait for him to show up? He supposed he would wait for now.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-18-2021, 01:36 AM
^^
Unfortunately for Ozai, Hieronymous had already spent the morning fishing and hunting some game. A few fish were a successful grab as per usual, but he had been a little better off today with a couple of rabbits than he normally was. Even he noticed that @Ira wasn't eating much of the fish he was bringing back and so he was making a note to himself to bring something other than fish every now and then for her in particular.

Maybe he should gather up another group of hunters to find something nice for a change. A boar maybe or a nice mountain goat if they didn't need to travel too far... unfortunately they were lacking in many available adults for the job. A soft sigh left his lips as he pondered what to do about that. He would have liked to give them all something nice and different for a change, especially now that their children were getting older and might benefit from different food.

Carefully he made his way down the mountainside side. Picking through the familiar path now worn through with his regular treks down, it was all routine which made it easy for his mild limp obtained by the previous large game hunt before his wedding... Ah. Maybe a marmot or something would be nice instead, at least not until the kids could join them on hunts.

Upon landing on the base of the mountain where it met the run, he looked up and over to find a familiar face and his tail waved in a friendly manner. “Ah! Ozai, nice to see you again!” He called out. Even if their last meeting ended on a sour note, he wouldn't let it linger if Ozai was willing to move on from it.
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
11-18-2021, 02:48 AM
^^Yeah, okay, it probably would had been wise to ask Heiro if he had a schedule for fishin’ and hunting before just showing up and expecting the King to be there - but alas, Ozai was not a wise man. He felt more so like a fool, sitting and waiting around for the gorgeous face of Vanderfell to make his appearance. What if he’d seen him and decided that he hadn’t wanted to deal with Ozai again?

And it was as if Heiro had heard those thoughts and proved him wrong, because no sooner did the voice pipe up, and Ozai glanced over with a smile and a wag of his tail. “Hey there beautiful!” Ozai barked back, with a smirk, “I was beginning to wonder if I’d been stood up.” Which was a joke in itself, because Ozai was the one who’d come unannounced. He’d grin with a wink to show that he was joking, and hopefully Hiero was in a light enough mood to catch on to the joke and not… make things more awkward. Imagine that, right?

“It’s nice to see you again, too! I brought you this gift because I thought you might like it.” And really, because Ozai had messed up last time, and he was socially awkward, and had no friends. “How’ve ya been? Good, I hope?”^^

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-28-2021, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2021, 08:45 PM by Hieronymous.)
^^
Beautiful, it made the High King smile even if it was just playful banter. It was nice to see that even if their last encounter had ended on a somewhat sour note that Ozai wasn't going to keep them from moving forward and past it. “Right back at c'ha handsome!” And Heironymous wasn't the type to hold a grudge either. The temper of the half-faced man wouldn't be forgotten, but Hiero wouldn't let it linger forever and create a blockade from letting a wonderful friendship blossom between them.

“A gift?” He looked down at the bone at Ozai's feet. “That's so kind.” He smiled at the sight and back up at Ozai, thankful for the offering even if it wasn't necessary. Hiero wasn't the one who often received anything let alone a gift! “Very! And you?” He was hoping well as well considering that Ozai was probably still roaming alone after their last meeting. “Have you met anyone or done anything exciting since the last I saw you?” He'd trot up happily to the dual-toned man, tail swaying happily so they can chat more comfortably.

Maybe he could return the gift with one of his own. Maybe the two of them could go hunting for some goat and Ozai could depart with his own piece to feed him for a few days... a thought that would be brought up in just a bit as they caught up.
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
11-30-2021, 05:35 AM
^^This friendly banter was a nice, welcomed change of pace; better than the snarling aggression things could have turned into last time, but he cast those thoughts aside for the time being. If Heiro was willing to look past them, then so was he, and so far that’s exactly what it seemed like. Anyone passing by or eavesdropping wouldn’t have known that there was a sour spot in their very brief history, and Ozai liked that.

It felt odd to be called kind, or to bestow a gift upon anyone, but alas, Ozai smiled sheepishly though he shook his head. “I have not met anyone else exciting or done anything eventful less you count rollin’ in something that smelled really good.. ” which, to Ozai, was something totally foul smelling.

“There’s not much fun to being alone. You’d like to think that having all the freedom to whatever would be fun, but… it’s so boring. Ozai yawned to express just how boring it was. “ What about you? I’m sure being in a high rank means there’s lots of fun, right?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
01-16-2022, 09:46 PM
“Ah yeah? Is it close by?” Maybe he could bring some of it back to @Ira as a gift. He knew she wasn't much of a romantic, but he was... and perhaps it would bring a smile to her face, at least he hoped. Or even roll in it himself to give her own nostrils something different to sniff at than his usual musk and pine.

Ozai mentioned that being alone was boring... something Hieronymous had to disagree with to a certain degree. To each their own and maybe Hiero was just easily amused but he had always loved wandering and seeing new places, new faces, and this new strange dreamland they now called home for nearly a year now there had to be some even stranger places for him to discover if he didn't already pledge himself to Ira.

Which wasn't bad too. He was a social butterfly and life was never boring in a pack either, especially now that he had his own children to worry over. There was nowhere for him now anyway that was any better after getting married. Perhaps he was a bit of a sap.

“A high rank is also a lot of work, that and children to raise, order to keep but I guess you can call that exciting.” He chuckled. Letting his mind wander a bit as they spoke. Despite that one little oopsie at their last meeting, this man didn't seem to be terrible. Just bored maybe, and on edge.

“Did y'a wanna come and take a look?”

the staff team luvs u
01-17-2022, 04:13 AM
^^Ozai nodded in a direction towards the king with the tilt of his head. “Aye mate, it’s about northish of here. Behind the mountain that I assume your pack lives on and the other mountain that I also assume another pack lives on.” Ozai chuckled with a smirk. Wolves and their mountains, amirite? “But I’m sure we can also find other good things to roll on closer.” Ozai offered, wondering if he had broken some rule and hadn’t been allowed to roll around on his land, or if the king was actually interested in that type of thing.

Wolves and their packs and their rules. Sometimes a wolf couldn’t hunt on their ground. Other times, it was allowed, and Ozai just couldn’t keep up. He’d always been a loner, though, so he supposed he had a lot to learn.

Ozai smirked as Hiero went to explain a wee bit about what it was like to be someone important. He took note of the mention of children with the arch of his brow. “There’s never really a dull moment with little ones around though, so I would definitely call that exciting! ” More exciting than the boooring lonesome life that Ozai lead. Nonetheless, Ozai would chuckle until Heiro asked about taking a look, and Ozai’s smile vanished, as his laughter was replaced by complete confusion.

“Forgive me if I’ve missed something, lad, but take a look… at.. what?” Surely, he didn’t mean the children?
^^
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
03-01-2022, 03:50 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2022, 02:12 AM by Hieronymous. Edited 1 time in total.)
“At the pack, at our home.” He smiled kindly. Ozai seemed to hint at the desire for something more than the life of a loner, or was Hieronymous reading the cues wrong this whole time?

Though their last meeting had ended on a sour note, even Hiero would be comfortable in guiding this man around his home as the High King with his companion.

“I could have been mistaken, I'm sorry, I thought perhaps you wanted to see if Vanderfell might be for you.” He smiled again, a little awkwardly at the thought that perhaps he was wrong in his assumptions.

the staff team luvs u
03-12-2022, 01:49 AM
^^And here Ozai had thought that they would make more idle, meaningless conversation until Hiero decided he’d had enough and went on his way. Only, shockingly, that didn’t happen, and suddenly, Ozai was being offered a chance to look inside the magic vault of Vanderfall.

“ Oh! I’m sorry, my head must be in the clouds, ha.. I’m sorry, yes. I’d love to take a look and to get to know your people… but if they’re as handsome as you are, I’m afraid that I will have trouble leaving!” Ozai barked a laugh and then a wink, suddenly unsure if he was just being friendly or actually flirting this time. He would say nothing more as he waited for the king to lead him to his kingdom.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
03-12-2022, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2022, 02:12 AM by Hieronymous. Edited 1 time in total.)
Not wanting to sound desperate and paint Vanderfell in a weak light, Hieronymous held his tongue on needing more adults around. He would let Ozai come to his own decision and let his tail sway happily in a slow-motion behind him while waiting for his word.

“If it suits you, you wouldn't have to.” And hopefully Ira too would grow fond of Ozai. Maybe Orlaith would have someone to spar with and tire herself out with rather than continuously being a coiled spring ready to pounce at any given notice. “Lets see if you can keep up with mountaineers!” A friendly little challenge as Hieronymous began his climb back up the mountain. The permanently injured leg hopping lightly with its damage weakening the leg but bothering the High King none.

He'd turn and see if Ozai was following, a challenging grin across his face for the man to try and keep up!

We can end it here if you'd like!

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top