Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
hello, it's nice to meet you

Midnight Sunny/Clear
AW
10-23-2021, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 01:56 PM by Annika.)
The girls were swiftly approaching their first month of life, and though she wasn't capable of throwing them a lavish party or bragging on social media, Annika was proud. Motherhood suited her, it seemed, and the once broken woman had steadily remade herself in the image she wished her girls to be. Strong, confident, fiery to such a degree that all who messed with them ended up burned. They were lofty aspirations, but Annika knew if anyone could forge a masterpiece from cold metal, it was her.

They would begin weaning soon enough. She was looking forward to that -- and the future, whatever else it may have in store. Things were looking up and Annika only saw a promising future, though sadly she knew how quickly things could change.

For the moment, Annika was content enough to pause in her hunt and watch the stars as they twinkled above in a midnight sky. Eventually she would bring the girls out to stargaze as well, but for now she simply sat alone.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-16-2021, 01:36 AM
Valeska still enjoyed the occasional jaunt outside of her sequestered mountain oasis, deftly slipping past Ullarcraig Run so as not to disturb the decidedly more territorial wolves of Vanderfell. Perhaps her laissez-faire attitude toward strangers within her own bounds would come back to haunt her someday, but nothing ill had come from it yet, so she saw no reason to change things now - defending the homestead was all well and good but she still relished the crisp air and fresh scents of undiscovered territory, beholden to no one and free to roam as she pleased.

Normally she would not wander far without Amaranth, but her mate had been absent for a day or so - no doubt rummaging for some fancy new skull to bring home - so the silver wolf took the opportunity to venture out on her own. She had been admiring the stars herself, presently, until a familiar smell tickled her nose.

Vanilla and smoke.

Springing nimbly to her paws, every hair bristling on end with excitement, she bounded through the underbrush and streaked across a starlit field, chasing the scent like a woman on fire. Annika! She hadn't seen her for several moons - longer, even - and the thought of meeting her again filled her heart with joy. She could hardly wait to catch up with her friend (not that very much had happened on her end, but she was positively dying to hear what news the dark female had to share from her journeys), and the tinge of vanilla grew every stronger until -

There she was. Tall and dark and silhouetted against the midnight sky, stars twinkling above her like so many wishes, so many distant promises.

“Annika!” Valeska called, halting a few yards away. “Annika, it is so good to see you - how have you been? Are you well?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
01-26-2022, 02:46 AM
Distant promises were the only type she knew. Promises of a future she would never have, promises of a strong and unified family, promises of love and laughter. Those were not for her, she knew, and Annika was gradually accepting it. With her daughter, the fact of the matter was that she didn't need anything else. The Wayfarers had been a bandage for a deeper problem, and she found herself losing interest in sticking around. She craved the homestead of Elysium, where at least she felt.. secure. Like she wasn't always walking on eggshells.

And then, a voice.

Her ears turned as the familiar white form of @Valeska came into view, as beautiful as she ever had been. Annika couldn't suppress the broad grind from spreading across her lips. "Valeska!" she cried with excitement, though her friend was quick to fill the void with questions. "I've been fine." Fine, but not necessarily well. She simply existed. "I have a daughter now, I would love for you to meet her.. when she's awake." Annika's grin turned sheepish. [b]"How are you? How are things going? I miss you terribly."/b]
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
01-26-2022, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2022, 04:26 AM by Valeska.)
Their eyes met, and Valeska's face lit up like a tree on Christmas morning. She could hardly contain her joy, nor did she try to - at the first sign of a friendly welcome she leapt to her friend in one swift motion, a veritable flurry of tail-wags and kisses, peppering @Annika with her affection but not so much as to offend. Her spirit-sister was a little more reserved than most, so the silver wolf at least withheld the urge to tackle her into the ground.

“I have missed you more! Oh, it is goodness itself to see you! The gods do answer prayers, and they know how I have prayed for your safety and health every night,” she said joyfully, blinking back the tears that threatened to slide down her cheeks. Annika was one of the first - not to mention the few - strangers she had formed a bond with in this new world, and she treasured their friendship as a child would. Grumpy, lonesome, aloof; it did not matter what mood she would come to her with, Valeska had enough room in her heart for all of her friend and more.

Yet Annika held little of those former traits, now; she seemed gentler, quieter. Smaller. There was a tiredness to her eyes that was not there before - whatever she had experienced was not all good, and Valeska drew her brows together in a worried frown.

But that was a question for later.

“Fine? You are so much more than fine! You are a mother! All of the congratulations, I am so very happy for you!” she cried out, golden eyes twinkling beneath the stars. “How the Five have blessed you - oh, I wish... I wish that...”

She hesitated, trailing off. An unfamiliar feeling stirred in her gut as a vision of Amaranth and herself sprawled merrily next to a happy brood of gold-and-silver flashed across her mind's eye, and she knew it to be envy. It was impossible. There was no mortal way they could ever conceive together; in their future, there would be no hungry mouths crying out, no warm bellies pressed against their sides, no crocodile tears over a first wound.

It would always be she, and her.

Valeska did not know it, but she had taken a sip from the very same cup of grief that Annika once had.

Her eyes softened, and she smiled. “I know she must be so beautiful,” the little wolf whispered, staring longingly toward where the pup lay in slumber. “I cannot wait to meet her - she will have so many gifts! Will you remain here? You are always welcome back ho- I mean, in Elysium. It has been well, if quiet. There are many empty dens; I am sure one would suit, if you wish to stay for a while.”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
scroll to top