Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I'm so sorry, now you know,

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
AW
Adventurer
Discovery
10-23-2021, 05:25 AM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 05:42 AM by Célnes. Edited 2 times in total.)
Though many knew the Queen who rarely left her lands, she often found herself hovering around. It was troublesome to cross too far, especially since she had young ones to return home too. Vaguely so the Deorwine woman remembered days she sometimes would venture further out, as she reminiscenced those times while climbing the mountain. It was easier, knowing if another ruler was at home — but with only herself, she was often limited to what was around..

That would change though once her kids were a year old, of course. She was wholly prepare for that to leave her eldest in charge for the meanwhile as time would go on and she would venture further ; to either asses what was around, gain allies or members to lure back, to do all that was. For now Celnes spent time wandering through the mountains and plains near the lower temperate.

She climbed the jagged peaks, noting as she looked downward it always remained the same look — a series of teeth that almost looked if she were to slip, she would be swallowed hole. Yet it was surprisingly lush in places, noticing trees and patches of grass between such, a jaw that wasn't be thoroughly  cleaned. A heaven for those away from wolves, for no one has yet to try to claim the mountain, and be damned, if they did she surely would stop them so..

Stopping from the peak, Celnes looked down, noticing a suspicious entrance that looked to be a cave.. She had not seen that before, and wondered if she should venture inside.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
10-23-2021, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 05:35 PM by Mordecai1.)
 He just needed a little trip. A tiny trip. Harper was there so things should be fine. He really, really wanted some strawberries... but... there weren't any in Ichorwood that he had seen. He just wanted to wander a little ways south to find some. He needed to taste them again. It had been far far too long. So, just a little itty bitty ways south and he would find some right?

Well, it hadn't quite been that way.

He had left early in the morning, before the sun was completely up with his nose to the ground and his face set into a determined expression. Far more determined than the portly knight usually was. But he was on a mission. He had to go go go. He had to get those strawberries and head back! Except... his wandering turned out to be further and further. He had to stop to take a break a few times as he grew tired but he always resumed his travels again.

He hardly realized how far he was getting until he realized he was really south, so far south that he didn't recognize these mountains. They weren't like the ones back home that he lived near. These guys were more treacherous and... likely wouldn't hold strawberries.

Especially not this little cave entrance he found himself by. He lifted his head and sniffed inside of it, nose wiggling almost comically as he did so. He didn't smell strawberries but he smelled--

"OH HEY! Halloooo up there!" He smiled and waved a paw at the she-wolf he could see standing up on some sort of peak. Did she live here? "Are there any strawberries 'round here, miss?" Why, she looked awful familiar though. Where had he seen her before again?

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.gif]
Discovery
Adventurer
10-23-2021, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 05:41 PM by Célnes.)
She was surprised to find such a fellow within the crag. He seemed out of place, so friendly and round and yet happily plowing through the jagged spires through the land. She watched him with a curiosity, for she too thought for a moment he was awfully familiar. Not many who take such a blessed color were not from her own pack, and wandered if he was but a failed recruit.. "My, i'm not sure. Perhaps there is some in that cave there," her paw motioned toward that of an entrance, though very hidden away.. Nearly  missed if it was not for a curious pumpkin eye gazing toward, "it looks as if there is grass leading into it." It was even worse that it matched what flora was around these odd peaks, for even as intimidating and empty as it was.. Greenery continued to make it's way.

"Oh, aren't you.. Mordecai, from Event Horizon?" When he got closer only then did she recognize the man — someone who was claimed, and at the time could not simply recruit on. What a shame, she thought, for to be so blessed like her own, matchmake in heaven within colors, she would not be able to charm her way through to claim him.

the staff team luvs u
10-23-2021, 06:02 PM
 He followed the track of her paw, back to the cave where the grass grew as a sort of beacon. Like a sign from the heavens themselves. His little nub of a tail wagged as he looked back at her, "Gosh, do you really think so?" He looked back at the cave, considering. He was about to step in when she called out his name and he knew that he had to know her. "Yeah! That's me!" He said quite proudly for his was one of Crux's most trusted members. Even if he did wander off sometimes on the track of good smells. He did his job and he did it... mostly well.

He trundled right on over, so that she could get an even closer look. If she knew his name then she was a safe wolf to be around then. Now, he just had to remember to that... meeting, right? That's where he'd seen her. He frowned as he tried to pull the name back up. "See... ness? Right? From Elk... shores?" Yeah! That sounded right! "It's good to see you again! Is your pack doin' well?" He was supposed to do pleasantries and all that right? To keep the packs on good terms. Peace was what Event Horizon strived for and Mordecai liked to think of himself as an easy-going peaceful guy when things were going well.

the staff team luvs u
10-23-2021, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 06:10 PM by Célnes.)
"I am Celnes Déorwine of Elkshire — we are doing fine, how is Event Horizon?" She would not comment on his mispronunciations, even if she was mildly disturbed of so.. The Queen continued with but a faint smile, as she thought of them so. They were not allies, nor' even close, she could not name where they were.. If anything simply more aids to Vengeance, but she too lacked knowledge on his relationship concerning him. It seemed he was keeping his cards close though, she noted as her tail gently curled to the ground of her paws. There would be a day she would need to go on a scouting mission..

"Perhaps, I was thinking of entering there myself, perhaps you can join me?" For any troubles that may be — Celnes wasn't so nice to offer a company without an ulterior motive in mind. If there was danger lurking, a cover would be an ideal situation. Likewise if there was truly nothing, in the end she saw something knew, and perhaps gained a bit more knowledge about their group, as the Deorwine woman planned to probe.

the staff team luvs u
10-23-2021, 06:32 PM
 Ooooohh... Celnes! Oh, oh, he'd certainly gotten that wrong... "Oh, sorry, Miss Celnes! My memory's real bad sometimes!" Elkshire. Not Elk Shores! Silly goose. He would make sure to try to remember that next time. "I'm glad to hear ya'll are doin' well!" And honestly, he meant it. It showed in his smile and in his sincere voice. Wolves were wolves and he just wanted everyone to be doing fine. "We're doin' good too! Got that whole school thing going on!" Maybe she'd send some wolves to them to learn or teach! That's what they were trying to do, right? "If you ever are needin' someone to be taught somethin' or wanna send a teacher or something, that's what we're up to!" Get the word out, all that jazz. Pat him on the head. He was trying to be a good boy.

"Of course!" He said happily. "I'm a warrior, you know? I can keep you safe if we run into somethin'!" He paused, realized how that sounded and quickly added, "Not that you're not capable or nothin'. Just, I'd feel bad if I didn't try to help keep you safe." 'Cause it was his job and junk. Plus, why wouldn't he try to help a fair lady from another pack? It was the right thing to do. He was a bodyguard and all that jazz.

He decided to sweeten the deal as well. "If we find some strawberries, I'll share'em too! Then, you can share'em with the rest of Elkshire." There! Was that apology enough for forgetting the name? Sharing was caring, after all.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-23-2021, 06:38 PM
He.. He was a simple man. He almost made her feel bad for how devious in thoughts she was being when all his information as upfront, on not only his packs doings, and even offering as a guard of sorts, "I'll think about it," Celnes said, neither saying she would or would not, but think about it. Though internally already knew the answer was a firm no, for it felt foolish to send her own to learn from another, it almost said to others that her pack was weak and lacking. Tense as it was with her throne at the moment, she wouldn't risk showing further signs of weakness.

He was a sweet boy though, that brought the faintest chuckle. The Déorwine couldn't deny she missed some part of a rather energetic man, and though Buck was there — he was not around her enough to get used to it generally. Such an attitude, sickened with sweet and love, how could such a man survive within the world of pack politics? She would hope he was but a simple warrior then anymore, for close to the leader is striked with the worry of that pledge.

"I have not had strawberries before," she said, moving her body up, and starting the path downwards to the cave, "though i've had other berries."

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Paladin
10-23-2021, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2021, 01:28 AM by Mordecai1. Edited 1 time in total.)
 She'd think about it! Awesome! "Okay! Well, you can just let us know if you decide to. We live up on the mountains near the shore." Fully taking her comment to mean she would really think about it and not the more accurate "yeah, no". Tell the poor man something and he would generally take it at face value. He really saw no reason not to. His world was a simple world of blacks and whites and the high-profile planning he generally tried to leave to Crux or Harper. Although he did his best when decisions came up. As long as they were simple and didn't need all the fancy --gasp-- critical thinking he was mostly okay.

Never had strawberries?! The man looked horrified as he followed her into the cave. "Never?! That's hooorriiibbllee, you have to try them if we find some. It'll change your life!" Okay, not really but... you know. It was Mordecai. Food was very important to the Rubenesque man. "What's your favorite kind then?" It was probably quite obvious that his was strawberries so he didn't comment further about that. "Next to strawberries I think I like blueberries the most! Oh, but blackberries are also good, oh! And raspberries too. Especially if you get a mouthful and then you eat it with some meat! You probably can't tell but I've tried a looooottt of different foods." He said with quite a sage nod of his head. As if that fact wasn't also wholly obvious.

As they walked through the cave, he would look around. Sniffing as he tried to catch the scent of strawberries but so far had no luck. However, he did notice above them there were roosting bats which he marveled at with an impressed "ooooooo". He wondered when those would fly out?

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Discovery
10-23-2021, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 07:09 PM by Célnes.)
"How many are within Event Horizon at the moment?" She asked inquiring of the students even if thoughts were more to ask how many are within the group. A sweet boy, who gave much information to where they are and what they were about. To their new school and the mental note of their settlement near that of the mountains. Surely so they were beyond the temperate claims, and if by the sea.. A curiosity for Celnes on how exactly close they would be, and if days travel added, would it be short, or long? Though a trip for another day.

As they crossed into the face, there was that greenery and flora within the path. Though bushes may dwelve into, she had seen any that could be similar to strawberries — and assumed berry she knew not what it looked like, "I have tried blackberries and raspberries for they grow in many forests. I enjoy blackberries," the Queen commented, smiling at him, before turning her gaze back toward what was. It was a long cavern, she imagined a whole cave and perhaps tunnels to be.. Was it wise to continue going further for the hunt of more? How mysterious such a jagged land held such a mysterious tunnel.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Paladin
10-23-2021, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2021, 01:28 AM by Mordecai1. Edited 1 time in total.)
 How many? He hemmed and hawwed, thinking about the different faces and things within the ranks. "Uuuhhmm... I dunno! Maybe like," He paused for a bit, sitting down as he looked at his paws and started counting on his toes. Before losing count and trying again. "At least eight." Right? Uhm, how many toes did he have? "Yup! Pretty sure, eight!" He said confidently. Completely wrongly but confidently. Had to give him points for that, right? And then losing points for giving out vital info about the pack. "Oh hey! You like deer, right?" He figured because their pack names where "Elkshire". "So, my bestest friend Prince Crux. He adopted a deer, right? So, he's doin' his stuff all around the pack. Ain't that cool? I think he wants to be a warrior or somethin'." How cute, right? He'd seen him out practicing jousting and boxing with leaves and stumps. He'd practiced with him a couple of times himself to help him get exercise.

Then, he was back up and walking with Celnes. Until he was distracted by a bush that looked very promising! He dived over to it to find that it was... empty. "Aaawww... Nothin' here. Just empty bushes. I bet rabbits an' rats got to the berries." They would probably have to go deeper into the cave to find things that would be good for them to eat. "Hey! If I find some blackberries, I could bring you some! Like a gift or somethin' for you in Elkshire. We got'em all over in Ichorwood." He said, cheerfully despite the recent disappointment. The man was always an optimist and wouldn't let that get him down. "I bet they'll be more bushes deeper in!" Excited by this, he began to speed up. "C'mon!" Outpacing the she-wolf as he laid eyes on one of the darkened caverns further back. He wasn't thinking about long-term ramifications of getting lost. He was simply thinking of the possibility of delicious foods hiding further back. Long-term things hardly ever troubled the man until they became current problems.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Adventurer
10-24-2021, 09:02 PM
They had a deer? She looked at him in a mild amazement and surprise, to think to have been blessed with so. When she thought of the man with him, someone who wasn't that of the High Elk's blessing — carrying of many whites and only dabbled of black. Her rather assessment on such a place moved ever so slightly on a more positive position. For those who are trusted by the elk themselves are someone with a grace, and it seemed his kind attitude was not just but a fake. White to prophesized for the sin they may create, and it seemed someone, had put Crux within the right path, "Perhaps he can visit the elk within my forest, and if needed teach him how to fight like one." When she thought of a few, she imagined that he may poven difficulty.. Though fighting with the rest of the fawns, would prove to be a good warrior perhaps.

Then he dove for a bush and she followed with a haste. Though alas, no berries within this gave to me. A cautious look around, for though flora may be ambient within the area.. It was missing what was acquired. She however took a step back to properly look at the ecosystem within, for it definitely held like a miniature plain within it's side.. She could see cracks on occasion that seemed to almost glisten when turned right. A curiosity, but shifted a focus back toward Mordecai.

A whirlwind of a man, she didn't even get to respond to his previous statement, "lead the way," Celnes said with a minor chuckle.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
Discovery
11-02-2021, 01:19 AM
 "Oh yeah?" He said with interest. "I'll be sure to let'em know!" He was certain that they both might like that. As soon as Crux got back from his trip, he would be sure to tell him about all that stuff. "Thanks!" This lady seemed quite nice! He wondered if she had many wolves telling her how awesome she was? Hopefully so, everyone deserved to hear how awesome they were.

Mordecai was not one for examining things beyond his immediate gratification. Once it was confirmed that he would be getting no food from the bush, he would shift his focus elsewhere so that he may satisfy his gluttonous cravings. When the woman prompted him, he would take the lead without any hesitation. He was playing bodyguard, after all. He would walk along, humming as he went, into the yawning caverns. The place seemed to almost stretch on forever but he was not deterred. In fact, he was quite fine with the walking, so long as it meant he was rewarded at the end of his expedition.

As they walked along, Mordecai would see that there were two different tunnels opening up before them. One to the left and one to the right. He paused, ears twitching as he looked first one way and then the next. He was quite unsure of which one to take... He would sniff one and then the other, not able to parse which direction seemed more promising. He looked back at Celnes with a look like a lost puppy. Halp, pls?

Words: 256

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Adventurer
11-10-2021, 09:57 PM
As they continued further inside without the seeing of the berries.. She was wondering how truly long this place was going to. Even the Queen who lived nearby did not realize how much these caverns went within the crag. It was impressive, really, but also a worry if there was wolves who decided to take a home inside, or a raid of waiting.. Her thoughts aligned with the need of determination to patrol it more often, though not a claim — Elkshire was far too weak to do more then the range and woodlands near their crown, but perhaps just barely, could cover the peaks where some wouldn't claim so.

As she was thinking they were lead to a doorway. Mordecai looked at her with a helpless expression, "if you take a pause," she said, lifting her head high. Ears were flickering ever so slightly as nose twitched to the smell of the world, "one cave has wind, and the other is voiceless." She could faintly hear the rustling of the wind brush through the cave, and the tiniest scent of fresh air from the right side. If they were to that way, they most likely would return to the outside world and into the teeth of the mountain. Otherwise to the left.. Venture further into the unknown.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
11-12-2021, 03:32 AM
 He listened to her wisdom and turned his head back towards the two entrances. His head cocked to one side, ears twitching as he took her advice. So, the right side had a "voice" and the left side didn't. He could also smell fresh air from the right side and wondered if that way would lead to them finding berries quicker... on the other paw, the left side could have some unknown breed of cave berries. "Let's goooo...." He looked this way and that, this way and that, made a start towards the right and then stopped and turned to the left. "Thataway!" And there he would go unless steered the other direction. "I bet there might be some real tasty cave berries. Or maybe some cave fishies." He licked his lips, already feeling them water at the thought.

So, on he went, thinking he was a sort of royal guard. The dark tunnel sloped downwards in a gentle dip, lining the trail were stalagmites and stalactites and the occasional drip of water from the flow from aboveground. "What do you like to do for fun, Miss Celnes?" The bumbling man asked as he led the way down. It seemed pretty safe here, anyway, nothing was likely to jump out and attack. Maybe they'd even run into some rushing water further back or something. Fish weren't as amazing as berries but they were still pretty tasty.

the staff team luvs u
11-15-2021, 09:41 PM
She followed him, thoroughly amused by his speech and manners. Such a man seemed so determined for berries when the Queen was more interested and himself, and that of Event Horizon. A toy to be that she followed and whimingly toward his love while questioning so-and-so for her own satisfaction of greed. He was a kind man, perhaps far too kind to come near that of the temperate land who manipulate and abuse who they see fit.

"I enjoy watching the scenery pass, and hearing the quietness of the forest." To watch and look upon her wolves in an interest, and see that of the outsiders who dangle too closely to the crown. She often rested just to be met with strangers, and enjoyed watching the entertainments unfold for herself. Though she wasn't one to sit back and simply watch the show, for the Queen would always interact for her own pleasure — and the thirst for knowledge of gaining more to the Elkshire claim.

"What about you?" she inquired.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Paladin
11-21-2021, 10:58 PM
 "So, you like watchin' birds and rain and stuff?" He asked for clarification, assuming that "watching scenery pass" had to be an active thing like stormwatching or the like. "And how do you 'hear' quietness?" He looked back at her, clearly at a loss for how such a thing would work. Quietness was quiet so it wasn't like you could actually hear it, right? Like, if you tried to listen you wouldn't hear anything at all! How very mysterious she was! She was so calm and collected and seemed really interesting underneath it all. He really really liked talking to her.

"Me? Um, well, I enjoy eatin' an' sleepin' an' fightin'!" He grinned at the last one. "I don't really get to do a lot of fightin' though inside of Event Horizon, save for when I'm teachin' others self-defense an' whatnot." He said with a smile. His land was extremely peaceful which wasn't a bad thing, it just didn't leave a lot of room for him to get into the real fights and when he was practicing sparring with others, there was always that need to hold back lest he hurt someone. He felt like he was overdue for a real throwdown. He needed to get back into practice with such things.

"Oh! Hold on, Miss Celnes!" He raised a paw in a "stop" gesture as he peered ahead. There was water running past, it looked like it was going pretty fast too. He trotted ahead, lowering his head to look at it and assess the situation. He looked first left and then right. A river it looked like, a small river but he didn't know if they should try swimming across, they might get swept away. "Looks like a big ole river! Maybe this'uns got some steppin' stones or something somewhere." Just like the one back in Ichorwood than lead to their camp! He began to look around, searching for a way to the other side where they could continue their trek.

the staff team luvs u
11-22-2021, 05:36 PM
"The sound of nature — the rustling of the breeze and the shifting of the leaves, the birds crowing in the background, and the elk walking through the forest.. The occasional howl to the moon from an Elkshire wolf — a pinnacle, of peace." She explained gently — at the stillness the world presented. She especially enjoyed the breezy days where one could hear the wind pass by, and go through her own pelt. To bathe in the sun while doing so was a favorite hobby, but not one she could enjoy so often, for the need to attend to her litter and the borders often whisked her away. As so the title of the Queen presides, she knew of her duties well.

"Feel free to challenge any of Elkshire's warriors, I imagine they are bored — with just watching the elk." She chuckled slightly, though there was once a thought of war looming to over two horizons.. The thoughts have fallen down, and lost care to the two. She now imagined her men to be rather dull in the matter, especially the hired-guard who idly spent days away with a look of neutrality, but wondered if he was rather displeased by it all. In the end, only he did not pledge to her — but at least two of the sun shade and the cold side of the moon, seem one way or another, infatuated with her. 

"Perhaps we went in a circle." Celnes bent down and sniffed, as it smelled similar to the water at the river, "a shame we did not find the berries."

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
11-30-2021, 04:49 AM
 Oooooo... that all sounded so lovely when she explained it. "You've got a real nice way with words." He said with admiration. When she spoke, it was like he could see it all in his mind's eyes. It made him want to visit almost... "Can I just... come in an' do that? Is that okay?" It wasn't like they were allies or nothin'. So, would she mind if he just sparred with her members? "You don't mind none?" He asked curiously... hopefully.

Went in a circle? The large, rotund warrior was crestfallen with his ears flopping down comically to the sides of his head in an over-exaggerated display of sadness. "Aw man... I really wanted some berries too." He did one more once-over to see if there was a way around the river but he didn't see any. Maybe that was the end of the road. "You wanna head back up? I can make sure that you get home safe an' all." Not that there would be anything out here to grab her, but he just wanted to be sure.

the staff team luvs u
11-30-2021, 08:14 PM
She would hope so — how else could she lure wolves with an unpleasant speech? Poking her pride just a bit, the Queen showed an earnest smile to so. Raised as royalty she was taught to speak in a perfection, think before showing any so ; and would hope to pass the same factor to her own children. Yet it seems grasping on teaching a more elegance to the language was a difficult task, and she internally sighed at quest of motherhood. At the very least, they were growing healthy.

"Just howl before entering, someone will fetch you." She wouldn't want him to be attacked by entering, as well as spook any aggressive elk. To smell the Elkshire scent upon him will calm any wolf down, including her own the sleep within the crown. She would not mind his visitation, especially such a vessel that was the holiness of a pinnacle — how she desired to take hold.

"A shame, but perhaps that is the best," and nodded to his suggestion. An escort, of sorts — he was a valued bodyguard for the quiet moment.

the staff team luvs u
12-28-2021, 03:32 AM
 He'd pleased her and for that, he was quite happy. He'd remember to howl for her whenever he visited. Because he certainly did plan to! A nice spar and vacation sounded wonderful. "Gotcha! I'll make sure to do that." And then they were on their way back up, him leading her as a bodyguard of sorts, and she with her own schemes, that the poor fool was blissfully unaware of.

I am so sorry that took so long OTL do you want to end it here?

the staff team luvs u
01-10-2022, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 09:43 PM by Célnes.)
fine with me!

Led down to the mountainous path, she was faced with the entrance of the crown forest. Whispers of the wind as the trees dropped it's leaves, and she gazed to it before looking back at the man, "May we meet again," the queen said, dipping her head in a moment of gratitude, and farewell to him. 

Perhaps in another time, she could lure this man to her realm.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top