Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Without fallin' out of my chair

Morning Drizzle/Rain
P
Hunter
10-22-2021, 03:41 PM
^^
Most men with fishing in the mornings to avoid their home lives, to avoid their nagging wives and bickering children for some peace and quiet on the tranquil waters with just their rod and fish who would sometimes give that man a moment of excitement. But not Hieronymous. He left the nursing den, taking a single long look back at his children and wife and hurried himself off to provide as much food as possible. First he would fish - then try to find something else such as rabbits or some kind of water rodent to bring back.

Silence stretched out in the run and the only thing breaking up the deafening morning silence was the light rain that pitter-pattered all around on the leaves and grasses, rocks and water that gently trickled down the stream where he stood. Molted fur slicked down across his lean muscular back with his tail heavy and water logged, floating with the stream as hairs danced in its current.

And in a moment he struck! Plunging his head into the water with an immediate strike, teeth reaching out to the silver scales that swam daringly close to the predator only to be grabbed tightly in his jaws as the fisher carefully climbed out of the water, watching his footing so he may not slide in the mud along the river's banks.
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
10-23-2021, 09:54 PM
^^As much as he had wanted to grab a piece of elk ass to piss off that other canine, Ozai also didn’t want to get trampled to death doing it. So he’d gone north, and didn’t really stop until he was in the mountains. The grass and trees here were different and not really as clustered; there were less open fields, and more hills to climb.

He was just climbing down one of the mountains; the same mountain that Vanderfell was on, but one on their turf. He didn’t really feel like pissin’ off two packs in one go, especially if they ended up being allies. He wasn’t really sure where he wanted to go, but the sounds of rushing water caught his attention, and soon, the fisherman, too, would as well. Ozai had never seen a canine with a similar face before.

For now, Ozai brought his mouth to the water, and drank, though his eyes lingered on the male nearby.
^^
the staff team luvs u
10-23-2021, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 10:21 PM by Hieronymous.)
^^
He'd drag the flopping fish in his mouth onto shore, its futile struggle to get released would only tighten his grip around the creature with powerful jaws and neck muscles as this was just one of many he had caught before. Nothing out of the ordinary. He would place the fish down a good ways away from the water's edge, too far for it to flop back in with its injuries where it would just eventually suffocate and perish while he could focus on a new fish.... or someone else as a figure caught his eye approaching in the distance.

They were strange looking, a mixture of white and brown as if they couldn't decide what they wanted to be... then again, Hiero was not one to complain really about appearances. In fact, it was nice to know that someone might not see him as a freak for his odd patterning. With a soft friendly chuff he'd aim to gain the man's attention as he moved to drink some water. There was nothing wrong with that... this may be their hunting grounds but water was free.

“I like your coat!” He said almost laughing at his "ice breaker".
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
10-23-2021, 10:40 PM
^^Ozai tried not to stare, okay? He was trying not to stare, while staring and making direct eye contact with the green eyed, beautiful canine that was a few feet away - but he couldn’t help it, okay? He’d never seen anyone look like him before, and had always been more of an outcast, no matter where he’d gone.

They would stare, say some things, sometimes, and Ozai would feel like an outcast; a freak of nature, if you will. And then, there was this fisherman fella, complimenting Ozai’s two toned coat as if they weren’t the minorities of the feral world. Ozai almost choked on the water that was in his mouth, causing him to take a few steps back to gag a little, because he’d actually choked a little bit.

He turned to stare at the other, some more, with a chuckle and nod of his head. “Ha! Thanks. Yours is lovely, too.” Ozai barked back, silently wishing that the other had been female. “I’m Ozai. Who’re you?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
10-23-2021, 11:13 PM
^^
His swinging tail kept going, slowly, but it moved lazily as the two men took a good, long, look at one another; and not long after the other nearly choked on his drink which drew Hiero's ears forward with concern. Hoping he didn't have to start doing some kind of CPR here on the beach.

Oh good he's friendly, the painted knight would sigh internally as the two-faced stranger laughed and returned the compliment. The swinging of his plume quickened at the realization, now taking the greeting as an invitation to make himself more comfortable and approach just a little more to make conversing easier. “Hieronymous!” Introducing himself once more as if his long-ass name wouldn't be difficult for someone to pronounce. “High King of Vanderfell just beyond the run.”

“There's always something beautiful in what is unique, is it not?” The man seemed to enjoy his compliment so why not just roll with it? “Where do you come from Ozai?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
10-24-2021, 09:02 PM
^^Leave it to Ozai to go from pissing off one face of royalty to meeting another, though this one seemed to not have his panties in a twist. No no, this one was the literal opposite, and Ozai couldn’t help but feel like he (Hiero) was a breath of fresh air; like waking up on the first day of a much needed vacation.

As Hiero rolled with the compliment and actually moved closer, Ozai did the same by all of two steps, being cautious and giving the High King his space. His two toned eyes lingered over his new friend’s coat with the tilt of his head, admiring it in a way that he wished someone would admire him and his coat.

“I- I.. uh.. I suppose you’re right.” Ozai said rather quickly as he would quickly glance away. He’d never had anyone call him beautiful, or to even compliment his coat. No, the types of company he’d been in were not kind.

“It’s, uh, nice to meet you… er.. You’re majesty? But uh, please tell me you’ve got a nickname I can call you, other than beautiful.” Ozai turned his attention back to the king with a smirk and sway of his tail.

“I’m not really sure where I come from, but I arrived in this forest, not too far from here, actually.” And then it had all gone to shit when wolves of his past showed up. “What about you, friend?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
11-01-2021, 11:27 PM
^^
It wasn’t difficult to get along with the jester king of Vanderfell. His heart was light and welcoming to all - perhaps the only one he was less-than-welcoming to was that jerk he found near the maze not too long ago who had up and gotten himself lost. How was that guy doing anyhow? Did he find his way out or was he buzzard food, now forever stuck in the walls he was told were too confusing to wander into in the first place. 

This guy was shy in comparison to the blonde - Hieronymous had come to that conclusion. Casting a glance away as the compliment was shot his way about the beauty found in something as unique as their coats. Like a painting done by an artist - every stoke was unique, every piece irreplaceable. Though they may be strange to some, there would be none other like them ever, and that alone was enough to keep Hiero from feeling like some kind of freak to be gawked at.

“No need for that, Hiero works just fine.” Your majesty… that still sounded so strange for someone so casual as Hieronymous felt. His rank meant little other than the ability to throw his weight around when necessary, but such things were… just not necessary lately. He would much rather continue on his usual business, get comfortable with his new role as a father and husband, and nothing more. “Beautiful works just as well, however.” With a playful wink, not feeling any shame or even thinking in any way that he might be coming off as flirting in any way.

He only ever flirted with Ira and even she didn’t seem all too aware of his advances until he had laid it all out.

“I’m not sure either where I come from; ‘Not here’ is all I can come up with for now!” And though he wondered where that place was he had come from… all those memories both painful and pleasant, would they too fade like all the rest? What of his loved ones? He had seen his sister briefly at some point but she did not stay for very long… some days he even wondered if Anneke was just a dream. “Can’t say I have much to complain about though…” This new life was pretty good so far after all.
^^
Total Words: 392

the staff team luvs u
11-05-2021, 02:34 AM
^^Were these two males truly flirting, or were they just being friendly? The rubies and silvers of his eyes seemed to dance within the emerald eyes of the high king, and Ozai couldn’t help but to smile towards Hiero’s playful wink. This would be the first friendly encounter that he’d ever had, in his entire life. It was odd and interesting, and Ozai didn’t know what to make of it. “ “Not here” is a good answer, though.” Ozai chuckled, nodding his head.

“I’ve just come from a land where hunting deer and elk aren’t allowed, apparently. How strange is that?” Ozai arched his brows, taking a moment to drink from the river for a moment. “Is a high king the same as an alpha, or ruler? I must come from a simpler time with traditional rankings, as I do not understand what a High King is? I mean no disrespect; I am genuinely curious.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
11-05-2021, 08:04 PM
^^
He too would nod along with Ozai that his answer was good enough despite lacking any kind of substance to it in general. It didn't seem to bother anyone he met so far that they didn't know much of a time before this. They all just seemed to silently agree that this was their life now and that there was no time, or energy to be wasted on dwelling on things they may not remember or may not even be able to return to.

“Wait... You can't hunt deer or elk?” That was such a strange revelation. To decide that a certain group of prey animals were completely off-limits... didn't that drastically limit their food sources should others become scarce with over hunting? “Is there a reason why?” Maybe he was missing vital pieces of information here before beginning to judge them... was the Elk and deer-kin ill? If they were unsafe to consume it would make sense to avoid them.

“Ah! Yes, High King is just the same as Alpha as far as I know; it's just the title the creator of the pack chose for our ranks. I suppose where she comes from, the names make sense for the roles our members fill within.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
11-05-2021, 09:57 PM
^^Ozai was pleased to hear that the news of this Elkshire Nonsense had not reached the packs or wolves here. It would be shameful, almost criminal, if he was denied one of his favorite meals! “I don’t really know why. The guard didn’t tell me.” Ozai frowned, shrugging his shoulders. “They caught me trying to hunt them and stopped me. The elk themselves looked like any natural elk? I’m not sure why they’d go against nature.. ” Ozai muttered softly, licking his own lips.

It seemed Heiro had not taken offense to Ozai’s questioning about Vanderfell, thankfully. The last thing he needed was to be chased out of two pack grounds for asking questions. “Oh! I see. What is Vanderfell… about? ” Some packs had morals and a cute backstory, and an overall theme. With the jester as their king, though, Ozai assumed they weren’t uptight assholes like all the other packs he’d come across.
^^
the staff team luvs u
11-06-2021, 08:28 PM
^^
So there was no obvious reason why the elk-kind were not to be touched in the land where Ozai had come from. Hieronymous was already far too intrigued in such a topic to let it go, he would instead opt to keep it in mind and ask around at a later date to anyone else who might have heard of this strange pack to know if there was anything he should be concerned about.

For now, it seemed as Ozai was tapped out - and Hieronymous would let it drop. He too would shrug his shoulders in response, empathizing with the other half-faced man's confusion on the matter.

Ozai would ask what Vanderfell was all about, and Hieronymous couldn't help but feel a bit of pride rising within him as he prepared to speak of his home and the pack that Ira had created. “We are a tightly knit group, we strive for peace and safety of our members and those we call our allies. We take in wanderers and give them a purpose, a home, and help them grow as individuals.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
11-10-2021, 05:20 AM
^^
We take in wanderers and give them a purpose.

There was some part of him that was momentarily triggered with Hiero’s response, and for a moment, he stood there with his hackles raised. His lips quivered, as if wanting to expose his canines, but this was the king; the king who seemed very laid back and likely did not mean anything negative by it.

Or so Ozai had to tell himself in order for him not to snarl in offense, because the last thing he needed was to anger or make an enemy out of the High King of Vamderfell. Making an enemy out of him would be heartbreaking, and likely also mean that Vanderfell would become his enemy, too.

And Ozai had enough enemies.

So he took several deep inhales, as if breathing into a paper bag, and closed his eyes for a moment as he focused on the scents and sounds around him. And then, at least, he felt himself calm, and his hackles lowered. His eyes opened, and Ozai smiled.

“What type of purposes does Vanderfell offer?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
11-11-2021, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2021, 08:14 PM by Hieronymous. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
As much as Ozai had tried to keep his cool - Hieronymous was an observant lad. Far too much so to not take note of the hackles rising along the two-faced man's nape and the sudden shift in mood of their conversation. He may be laid back, but Hieronymous was no fool either despite how some may view him.

His posture relaxed. Losing its previous bounce and liveliness and fell to something more casual as he almost dared the man to lose his cool here and now while asking of his pack. Whatever was said to insult the man, Hiero didn't regret any of it. If the truth was insulting then perhaps this conversation should come to an end sooner rather than later before things grew sour after such a pleasant start to their meeting.

“I don't think I wish to speak of my pack anymore Ozai.” It was said regretfully, seeing how hard the man worked at regaining his composure - it was the sudden shift that concerned the High Kind... he had kids now, they were still too young for him to trust just about anyone to enter their court and with such a short fuse... well, it was better to not to take the risk.
^^
the staff team luvs u
11-12-2021, 04:01 AM
^^It had not been hard to notice the change in behavior for both of these painted men. Heiro noticed Ozai; Ozai noticed Heiro. They studied each other, it seemed, within the silence of unspoken words and making silent judgments; judgments that Ozai had dealt with his entire life, which was why he had such an aggressive, short fuse in the first place. They all made judgements instead of voicing their concern or fear, or whatever it was.

“It seems that’s my own fault,” Ozai snorted a laugh, though mostly at himself, with the shake of his head. He had grown to control his temper, but even then, a temper was a temper. “Sorry, I get.. ” Ozai stopped, glancing at Heiro for a moment. Just because they looked alike, didn’t mean that Heiro gave a damn, and Ozai didn’t need to explain himself when Heiro had not asked. “I apologize for offending you or stepping out of line.” Ozai corrected as he cleared his throat and moved to focus his attention on the river.

It was not a total dismissal. Heiro could have made an excuse to leave, yet instead, he just chose to announce that he did not want to speak of the pack. Ozai pressed his lips together, having been curious if there were more like them - the painted ones - in the pack, but he supposed now he would never know. ^^

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
11-13-2021, 09:12 PM
^^
Guarded and ready for whatever new mood swing Ozai might have, Hieronymous kept his breath steady and stance relatively calm but ready for action. He didn't want to instigate a fight considering how friendly Ozai was at first, nor would he be too trusting should he decide to act upon this random frustration the two-faced man suddenly had.

His posture continued to calm as Ozai spoke, finding his zen once more and understanding the sudden shift in Hieronymous in response to his own. “It's alright.” Maybe one-day Ozai would learn why Hieronymous was a little bit on edge. With kids and a violent woman on the loose, he was not going to be taking chances with any strangers who came off even slightly off.

With a soft sigh, the High King found his smile again. It was laced with a certain sadness over all of this. Clearly, he wasn't all too thrilled to have things move to a more dour tone. “I should head back with my fish.” Mustering up a smile to break off the tension, he glanced over at Ozai who was now focussed on the river. “You're welcome to stay here, but others of my pack may come down since these are our hunting grounds.” In other words, behave and this was his last chance before being chased out.

“Until next time.” He'd way with a quick dip of his head before turning away to pick up his fish and head back up the mountain.
^^
Exit Hiero

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top