Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
You and Me After, You and Me Before

P
Adventurer
03-05-2021, 04:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 12:37 AM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)

It had been over a week since the roan woman awoke in the mountains. Her time spent there turned into an extended stay as she crossed paths with @Orlaith then @Quicksilver, one a face from her past while the other simply had nowhere else to go. However, many questions went unanswered, how she got here and what happened to the others she and Orlaith traveled with being the ones at the forefront of her mind.

Their exploration through the mountains left no trace of an answer, so with little other choices, she left. Ira was sure to pass the message to Orlaith on her way out and asked for her to pass the message to Quicksilver as well. They should stay in the mountains, see who else turned up incase an old friend appeared while she set off to hopefully answer all of their questions. As she escaped the reaches of the mountains, the land swept into a world of green and white despite the winter snow. A forest bordered the flatlands, though as she traveled she would find the empty rolling hills of rock and shrubbery.

Compared to the views she had only recently become acquainted with, it was no spectacle, though the openness meant there might be a meal for her to find along the way. There was no telling just how far she had to go until she crossed the path of a pack and if food was available it was best that she caught it now while she was not in need of more strength. Dipping her head to the frozen earth, she'd inhale, taking in the fresh scents to see what she might cross.

the staff team luvs u
03-05-2021, 04:42 AM
“AAaahhhh!” The man yawned loudly with a squeaky whine-like sound at the end as he shook his head near the end to cut it off abruptly. Perhaps it was time for him to find somewhere cozy and safe to lay down for a few days and nap, take it easy before continuing on his journey in search of... something. He knew something was missing, but he couldn't quite put his paw on it. Like something big from his life was just gone.

Over the past few days, he pondered the question and possibilities - a pack? He couldn't recall a pack being that important to him, and couldn't imagine a whole group being that close to him to think that them missing from him would cause such hidden internal anguish. No, it had to be something specific. One thing, one precious thing he simply couldn't live without. As if without it nowhere would ever be called home again - but what could possibly be that one thing that could cause such a feeling of loss?

If only he had someone to talk to about these things. “Anyway little guy —” Tilting his head down to the side to watch the little rabbit-like thing chew on some greens he managed to dig up in the snow. “I don't know if you get me but whatever is missing I hope I find it soon. Dunno if I can keep wondering what it is all the time y'know?” Well, the little fuzzball was better than no one to talk to at all, even if it never responded to whatever he said. The perfect listener really.

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Adventurer
03-05-2021, 05:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 12:37 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
A few scents reached her, though it was the sound of another that caught her attention...some sort of hushed voice carried through the empty air. A wolf? Mayhaps an actual resident of these lands that could finally answer her questions. She followed the source, ears twitching as the voice became more distinguished and...somewhat familiar.

A male with tossed browns laid about the snow, inherently babbling to himself until...until she caught sight of the rabbit to his side, seemingly unphased by his presence as it minded its own business grazing. Ira couldn't help but raise a brow, curious as she stepped closer. If he had no plans on catching a free meal, then she certainly wouldn't waste her time tracking something else. Though as she took another step, a dead thorny branch crackled beneath her, quickly gaining the prey's attention as it quickly sped off.

For a moment, she considered giving chase, though her free meal had already gained quite a head start and this was the first she had run into another since the mountains, so for now she would settle with approaching her new company. You know, last I checked rabbits are food, not company. She paused, just to the side of him as she let her eyes roam the various swaths and splashes of color. It was weird, almost like nothing she had ever seen before, yet...You're... Her eyes found his, a spark of recognition pressing her mind as she saw a river while she splashed about in an uncharacteristic manner... with him. I know you—

the staff team luvs u
03-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Letting his body go limp, the man flopped over to the side into the snow in a lazy lounge, rolling over to his side to face the rabbit thing as he grazed - completely unfazed by the strange movement as if it had already seen it all before and just knew it had nothing to fear in the presence of this wolf. If only it spoke to him, it would make all of this less awkward and much more pleasant. Oh well, just having a set of ears to chat to and not the empty woods was a blessing.

He heard her footfalls first, darkened ears twisting in greeting to whoever was approaching; and as she spoke a spark of familiarity lit in his chest. Completely ignoring the rabbit-like thing as it fled from the new wolf who was definitely more of a threat to its life than the lazy patchwork wolf, he rolled over in the snow to cast a glance at the face that sent recollection buzzing through his bones. “Why can't they be both?” He mused in mid-roll, back against the snow with his snout to the sky. “When one is not hungry, why can't we be kind to the little things?” Truly a romantic with all kinds of near-impossible desires.

Finally, he flopped over completely to face the familiar voice, no more stalling in wondering who it could possibly be and fearing the possibilities. Then it all came flooding back. “Iiiiiirrrraaaa!!!” He cried loudly, immediately pushing his paws awkwardly as to drag him sideways through the snow toward the towering figure. Snaking his way quickly and wasting no precious time by getting up off the ground. “You were the missing piece, I know it now!” If allowed, he would brush up against her legs affectionately with his muzzle and cheek, overjoyed with the sight of not just a familiar face but one that obviously meant the world to him.

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Adventurer
03-06-2021, 03:38 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 12:37 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
For the moment, her usual stony expression had been replaced by a look of shock. The man before her wiggled and flopped about in the snow before he too seemed to recognize her, an all-encompassing grin filling his face as her name was bellowed. Hiero—? His name barely left her lips, a question to her own knowledge as the pieces fell together. 

He was one of the ones who traveled with her and Orlaith before... His overly excited display would perhaps grate her ears and leave her scowling had it been anyone else...yet...yet there was something else when it came from him. She could only blink like an owl as the painted man jumped to his feet and brushed against her, What are you prattling on about? How did...

She shook her head gently, almost as if she was trying to shake the fog around her mind as she took a step away from his insistent touching. I can hardly recall events before I awoke here. What do you know, are there others? You traveled with me before, yes?

the staff team luvs u
03-06-2021, 04:00 AM
Yeeeeessss~? He chortled in a childish, elongated way of speaking, almost dreamily as he was nearly jumping out of his own skin, completely overjoyed with all this. At the mention of his name from a voice to familiar. Her questions and confusion was easily brushed off, it was strange times and even he had a hard time putting any pieces together was like hammering them in place regardless of whether they fit or not. It looked good enough and that's what he would hang on to.

Even as she stepped away to bring space between them again, it only felt natural - like they had done this song and dance before and so he didn't feel any awkward emotions toward it. Instead, he drifted on his feet in a blissful sway as if he was almost dancing with himself. Hmmm~ The man chirped as he pondered her questions. Well she did have some valid questions, some points that did need answering and yet —

He had nothing.

Well not much at least. “Nope, just lil ol' me.” Pursing his lips to think before he continued with her questions. This one was a doosy, how did he know her? He just did. Could feel it with every fiber in his body like it was an immediate lightning strike, there was no denying it. “I dunno about travelling together, all I know is that I know you - like I could never forget. You must know me too since you did kind of say my naaame!” It was cut off but he knew he heard it, Hiero - there was no mistaking it.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Adventurer
03-06-2021, 04:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 12:38 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
He seemed amused by her response, chuckling to himself as he swayed in place. What an odd response, then again, there did not appear to be anything quote-on-quote normal about this man and somehow, she knew this to be the truth. Still, the strange display did not sway her, in fact, it was almost welcomed...almost. For with everything still up in the air, she needed answers and unfortunately, he too seemed to be unable to provide them.

It was growing frustrating at this point. How could no one belong to these lands or remember how they arrived? More importantly, had they all lost their memories? In some way, it seemed like a bad dream. Some kind of joke on reality... though pondering further right now would get her nowhere. Yes, my apologies. Hieronymous, correct?

I know not if you have encountered others, but from my experience, we are not the only ones. I have banded together with two others for now in the mountains, one of which you might remember. She too traveled with us and had it not been for her I fear I would not even remember that much. How many more were there? Was it just the three of them to arrive in these lands or were other allies missing?

I have been seeking any nearby packs to make heads or tales of our situation...what of you? I do not hold you accountable for any past agreements, but it only seems fair to ask.

+2

the staff team luvs u
03-06-2021, 08:06 PM
As frustrating as it was to know nothing after waking up in a new land, with very few memories to work with - Hieronymous was trying to take it one day at a time and make the best of it all. Making it a sort of adventure more than anything, a journey to rediscover one's self if he were to put it gently. Was it a lonely endeavor? Absolutely. And yet it oddly felt familiar enough to him that it was not a shock to the system other than just trying to fill his days with various entertainment, learning of new faces, and local things that kept that feeling of isolation at bay.

“At your service.” Though his tone was a little more serious as she confirmed his name, the smirk and wink indicated his playful attitude still lingered. “Hm, I met a few but none were permanent traveling companions.” He admitted. Just faces filling the blank spaces left after waking up. “Who is this individual that may be familiar to me?” He was most curious about someone else who might shake loose some more nuggets free from the branches of his memory.

Taking on a more serious tone, his features dropped as he focussed on getting to know their situation. Thinking back to the man he met on the confusing mountain. Hieronymous shook his head regretfully, knowing that no matter what he said, would be of no more use than what Ira already learned herself. “No one that I have come across know anything of this place, only a small pack forming on a mountain a little ways from here, members banding together to claim the mountain for themselves after finding themselves in the same situation as us.”

the staff team luvs u
Formation
03-18-2021, 06:48 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 02:28 AM by Valk. Edited 3 times in total.)
“At your service.”

The smirk and wink were enough to give half an eye roll over, though admittedly the male had some handsome features, something he likely knew by the way he handed out that smile. A flirt no doubt, which only brought about trouble. Luckily, he did not push his advances, instead switching gracefully to her previous inquiries.

And thank the heavens for that.

Ira always did hate repeating herself. Memory eluding her to any potential conflict that might arise from the painted man and firey knight meeting, she gladly gave a name, Orlaith. A warrior loyal to mine own creed. Tall and muscular, green eyes with orange accenting her coat. and supposedly one of her closest companions, though she lacked the memories to back such facts. It was she who shared that there had been others, companions Ira kept close. The declaration of its own was a feat, one she wished she could recall herself just what had occurred to lend her faith.

If you wish to see for yourself, simply follow the treeline to the mountain peaks. We have made a home, be it temporary or not, in a cavern of the mountain. Few have gathered, though I have yet to place an official name. It had not gone without thought of course. The few companions she held in her company now deserved as much if they were to make a new home here, though she had not confided in any other, Admittedly, I grow fond of Vanderfell. It seems fitting given current situations... Ira allowed her eyes to trail, crawling along the scraggly bushes that peaked the snow-laden wasteland.

I think I shall see this claim for myself. Should you stand by your word for service, then we shall reconvene at the summit. Inform Orlaith that you have my blessings to be there for the time being. Farewell, Hieronymous.

+2

the staff team luvs u
Formation
03-18-2021, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 02:28 AM by Valk. Edited 1 time in total.)
last from me

He couldn't shake the feeling of how the way she spoke to him, felt disheartening. How professional she sounded when addressing him as if they had taken monumental steps back in comparison to a time that he couldn't but a paw on. Though it wasn't strange or abnormal for Ira to talk this way, it simply felt like a stab to his gut as if he thought they were more than just co-pack members.

He wouldn't blame her for this, lord knows what happened when and how they came here, what might have scrambled up. Maybe even his own hazy memories were nothing but a fever dream. “Hmmm maybe I'll recognize her when I see her.” The description did nothing for him, but shoot, he would have said the same if someone had described Ira to him before today.

“Vanderfell, I like it.” It wasn't like he had any choice in the matter, nor did he have a preference either to interject. It was as if Ira was the breeze and Hiero was nothing but a leaf following her current, peacefully, happily floating along without a care in the world.

“I will, see you there upon your return.” Still the way they spoke to one another felt strange, almost wrong. He wanted to go with her, to introduce her to Bronco and see this Hydra of which he spoke of before guiding the traveler out to their borders and away from claimed territories.

With her farewell, he offered a nod in acknowledgement of what transpired and began his journey to the mountains Ira was already working on claiming - only tossing a quick glance over his shoulder before they both vanished from one another's sights.

+2

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top