Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
This sinking feeling sets

Afternoon Drizzle/Rain
AW
09-17-2021, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2021, 12:48 AM by Err. Edited 2 times in total.)
 Ooooofffff... What had happened? Where was he? He couldn't remember anything really. Except. He had been going to grab some herbs and then... blackness. Fuuuuccckkk. 

The rat rolled over onto his belly, one tiny paw rubbing his aching head as he slowly sat up on his rump. He blinked his eyes several times and then looked around. This was definitely an unfamiliar woodland. He could smell wolf all around him but that wasn't really an issue, he knew wolves, ran with wolves. He did favors for wolves. That much he knew without being able to recall any actual faces. Was this his pack? He couldn't be sure. 

"Hello? Anyone there?" He possessed none of the cowardice that his species usually possessed. Too long living with the predators for that. Oh no. He knew what it took to survive. He stood on his hind legs, lifting up high to sniff all around. His whiskers trembled as rainwater dripped onto them as he waited to see if he was truly alone in this eerie forest.

For the lovely Vengeance

the staff team luvs u
If you find yourself in Err's "shop" feel free to godmod any items your character finds there. He has all sorts of things. [Image: happychib.png]
09-20-2021, 01:59 AM
^^
The wolf behind them did not appear yet. From the calling of another of their kind, little beady eyes glimmered in the dark, shining through the mist at one of their brethren that called out to someone, anyone - to them as it was their little ears that caught his words. 

Out from the penumbra the figures scurried out to greet them. Most were brown, black with a couple greys dotting in their small gathering. Sniffing as they approached while two peeled off from the group off into the distance.
Vengeance will appear in the next post! Right now its just a half a dozen rats
^^

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
09-20-2021, 04:58 PM
He felt that he was not alone but be couldn't see well through the mists. He stood on hind legs, balancing and peering around. His nose twitched and sniffed and told him what eyes could not. Wolves, yes, but also... rats.

They came to him, half a dozen or so. They were friendly and put his mind at ease. Must not be too bad of a place if his brethren could thrive here. "Ah, hello! A welcoming committee?" He said with a smile and a laugh. "Might anyone be able to tell me where I am? My name is Err Defoe." Hopefully he'd get some information abd introductions as well.
the staff team luvs u
If you find yourself in Err's "shop" feel free to godmod any items your character finds there. He has all sorts of things. [Image: happychib.png]
09-28-2021, 01:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2021, 01:56 AM by Vengeance.)
^^
The rodents all clamoured and answered at the same time after the strange new rat had asked his inquiry. "Haunted woods!" "Blackwood!" "Reach!" "Nightwalkers!" "Adelhelm!" They all cried out. Their own little noses twitching as they took in his strange scent that was unlike theirs. But none spoke of their own names - none had thought of such a thing, neither did their wolf who was only now approaching to the squabbling gaggle of rats that surrounded one that didn't look like the others.

Looking down on the beast, nothing more than just a mouthful he decided - a soft growl announced his presence while the other rodents backed away to give them all space. “You... Are not one of mine.” He grumbled lowly, eyes sharp as they gazed down fiercely on this thing. Was this one a spy from another pack? Not wanting to risk it running away, he quickly aimed to place a paw on the rat's tail to keep it rooted where they stood.
^^
We can roll to see if Ven succeeds in pinning Err's tail! I leave it up to you!

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
10-03-2021, 08:35 AM
 The rats gathered around him answered as one, their voices lifting to answer what he needed to know. So, this was the Haunted Woods of Blackwood Reach? With the Nightwalkers? Was it ruled by someone named Adelhelm, then? Or was one of them named Adelhelm? Or the lot of them? That was currently unknown as no one offered a singular name... 

He was not left long to ponder this new information, for out of the fog materialized a behemoth of a wolf. Granted, most wolves looked like behemoths to him but this one... yeah, he was big. He also didn't smell amazing but he was a rat. Who cared, right? Still, he couldn't help but think the man could do with a wash in the creek and maybe a bit of flowers on his fur. Was this Adelhelm?

The wolf approached him and decided to smack a paw down on his tail. It was hardly needed however as the rat simply stood there, lifting onto his hind legs to sniff upwards at the man. He could see in those eyes that there was no hunger, and, since he'd come from a wolf pack he'd never really needed to fear them before. Not unless they were mad and wanted to chomp down on their pack's asset. He could usually see when one's eyes were manic in that way. "You mean one of the Nightwalkers?" Hopefully that was the group name. "No, I'm... well... I'm not really sure. I was home somewhere else and now I'm here. Just kinda poofed, I guess." He answered truthfully. "Never heard of this place before but if this is your home, it is a lovely forest. Well, from what I can see of it. It's rather foggy, no?" It's name befit the group, the location as well. It was a bit foggy and quiet but that wasn't something that he disliked. 

So, he stood there with pink eyes gazing up at the darkened wolf to see what else he would learn.

the staff team luvs u
10-05-2021, 09:14 PM
[sfont=Benne]^^
“One of my rats.” He corrected. The hoard of rats and the Nightwalkers were two entities completely separate from one another. The rats were his eyes and ears, whispering whatever they saw into his ear in exchange to peacefully nibble on his leftovers.

This one didn't fear him despite the rows of fangs who could easily crush his spine with just one snap. There was no doubt in his mind that should he decide to crush this one beneath his paws, the others would waste no time in feeding on his corpse. Food was food after all and they too wouldn't pass up on a free, easy meal.

“It is mine.” The mist was his home, this and the one that stretched out into the field next door - their hunting ground. Anywhere that touched the woods and within his reach in the temperate was his as far as the brute was concerned - but his greed knew no bounds. Was that even a surprise? “And I am not fond of.. random guests. Who are you?” Though the creature seemed to be honest, relaxed and friendly - that didn't rule out the concern that they were a spy from another pack. Looking to wander through and gather what they could.
^^[/sfont]
the staff team luvs u
10-07-2021, 05:39 AM
 "Ah," Realization dawned on him when the man clarified on what he was not. The group that was around him, that had made way for him were "pets" of sorts, he supposed. 

Whatever got a free meal and safety was what you went with. 

He didn't have such protection as one of his did. No matter, he would simply have to remedy that. Most would likely run away but with his family's years of servitude to the wolves, he knew them to be perfectly reasonable. 

Though, he felt this one, it might be good to impress. Clearly, he was the man with the power in this place. 

"Err Defoe, at your service." He would give a sort of partial bow from his position before continuing. "I'm a healer and crafter by nature, specializing in wolves. My previous pack was... not here." As mentioned prior with his "poofing". "I'd no intention of trespassing in your territory but fate seems to have placed me on your doorstep. I don't think I can deny such fate and if you'd have me, I'd happily provide my services to you and yours." He was nothing if not superstitious. Who wasn't? Especially with some sort of strange sign as waking up in a new territory with a pack leader coming right up on you. That had to be some sort of sign, right? 

If not, he'd happily be on his way and offer his services elsewhere.

the staff team luvs u
10-26-2021, 12:26 AM
[sfont=Benne]^^
Time was ticking for this one to speak up before he became a quick afternoon snack. Vengeance imagined this one would be no more than just a quick bite, a mouthful to swallow down and that would be it... His mouth watered already at the anticipation of food.

Only to find himself... curious at the creature's words. Quickly licking away any saliva that pooled at the corner of his lips, steadying his anticipation for now as he grabbed the rat's tail between his toes to lift it up to meet his own ruby gaze. For the Warlord would not lower himself to this rat's position upon the ground to decide whether or not his word was true...

He seemed honest enough. Almost too kind and willing but then again, it was in their blood as rats to squirm and please the predators who might devour them. Perhaps it was simply in his nature - and far too small to be much danger, especially when his own hoard would be more than enough to keep an eye on him. “Luckily for you... We are in need of skills such as yours.”

Ever since Siberia up and left without a trace, they were once more without a healer. With his suspicions calmed for the time being, and trust in his own rats to keep an eye on their new companion he'd place the creature back down. “I will give you the same deal as them —” With a tilt of his head, he gestured to the rest of the crawling vermin. “Hold up your side, and you can sleep safely within my den and eat our scraps.”
^^[/sfont]
the staff team luvs u
11-03-2021, 02:40 AM
 He could see the glisten of saliva around the man's maw. Hungry? For him? It was not a common occurrence back where he came from that his kind were looked upon as food. He knew that before the truce that such things happened but he'd never had to fear for such things... hench his complete lack of fear around wolf-kind. Perhaps things were different here and perhaps he would be one day eaten for his ignorance but that would be for the fates to decide. As of now, he had no time to react when the other reached for his tail. He figured it best to let the man have his way, it wasn't as if he was going to fight him on it. It was better to be allies, anyway. That substantially raised his chances for survival. A rat with a colony --or pack in this case-- was a rat that was safe. 

He was raised all the way up so that he could meet the man's ruby-red eyes head on. My what large eyes you have. And what large fangs. 

"Excellent! I'm glad to hear it, my liege." He had no idea what this guy's name was but he figured it good to play it safe with all the flattery he could muster. "Sounds like an excellent deal that any rat would be a fool to turn down." Truly, what more could you want than food and a place to practice your craft? Also, the backing of an entire pack to boot. "Uh, might I be so bold as to ask your name, sir?"

Words: 264

the staff team luvs u
11-03-2021, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2021, 10:10 PM by Vengeance. Edited 2 times in total.)
[sfont=Benne]^^
Perhaps most wolves wouldn’t eat a rat. Vengeance was not most wolves that were fairly clear. He would eat anyone and anything that he desired if deemed more useful as food then they would be alive and chattering. Everything had its use he supposed… even if they did wind up as a pile of shit somewhere in the woods.

Tick tock went the clock on this rodent as it hung from his toes just within reach of the cavern of saliva and grime, just hungry to swallow him down whole and listen to his screams as it slid down his gullet and soon to vanish into the acids of his belly. What a wonderful sound that would be. Muffled by his body, loud enough to hear the cries of agony until silenced by their final destination.

Err was quick to accept the stipulations of their agreement. Bringing an almost disappointed frown to the Warlord’s face, with a light grin twisting the corners of his lips. Making an odd frustrated smile type thing across his mug.

“Vengeance Rache.” It seemed this one would be more of use alive than devoured. Once Err was on the ground once more, no true reaction of anything that had occurred just moments ago. Ballsy or stupid, he couldn't tell. “Should any Nightwalkers give you grief, come find me.” After all, only he could eat Err now if shown he was nothing but a freeloader.

If nothing else would come up, he’d return to his wanderings, letting the new rat in his pack get acquainted with the region - or even hitch a ride on his new companion Warlord if he wanted to get the grand tour as some of the other rodents seemed to enjoy doing. Provided he was quiet, there would be no fuss on Vengeance’s end.
^^
Total Words: 302

End here if you wanna!
[/sfont]
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top