Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
about the footsteps following after us.

Sunrise Sunny/Clear 64° F
AW
Discovery
09-13-2021, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2021, 02:06 AM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
After travelling all night she wandered away from Ira's claim, away from Quicksilver to clear her head. Her paws ached - as much as she felt? She wasn't certain. Mistakes were made, horrible, terrible mistakes and now it was her time to pay for them.

Had she kept her mouth shut, they all could have lived in bliss and nothing could have changed between Tobias and she. Quicksilver made the point to say she needed to speak with Tobias now, and yet - she didn't want to. Was it selfish? Absolutely, but perhaps it would be for the best if both just simply went their own ways after the awful treachery she had done between them both.

A moment of - disgust? No, sadness, thinking back to the last time she had been here where Quicksilver had come to speak of a woman he was so fond of. It didn't bring tears to her eyes this time as they were all dried up, even the stinging in her throat had long gone numb. Instead she sat on the top of a rock, overlooking the sunrise and listening to the flapping pieces of colours to sooth her soul.

It was quite possible things would never be the same again, but perhaps she could find peace again by moving forward.
^^
the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
09-14-2021, 02:35 AM
 He didn't quite know why he was out so early. Something about patrolling and then about food and then he had wandered reeeeaaaallllyyy far from Ichorwood.

Okay, maybe not SUUUPPPEEERR far but far enough. Outside of his normal patrolling range but he hadn't really noticed. One minute he was behind a bunny, casually tailing it with some interest, then he was really interested in the smell of berries on the wind. Then, he noticed that he might have made a wrong turn when it was getting snowy but then he noticed some colorfully thingies... and well, the rest was history.

But he got one of the colorful thingies in the end!

It had been hard work. Standing on top of a rock and caaarreeeffullllyyy maneuvering his way over so that he could snatch a blue triangle thing. He so had to take this back to Ichorwood and put it in his den.

But first!

The large, rotund man began walking around with his blue flag. Waving it to and fro, quite happy with himself as he tracked this way and that way and then--

OH!

There was someone on the rock up that way! He smiled, stubby tail wagging as he trundled right on over, waving his flag the whole way. "Hey! Didja see this wavey-things? You should get one too, miss!" He called around the flag with a smile wide on his round face.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.gif]
09-16-2021, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2021, 01:58 AM by Reiko. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
The flapping of the colourful banners had masked the sound of another approaching until they spoke up. Quickly she turned, a little surprised by the sight of someone else already here, a little frustrated too as all she wanted to do was look out into the lands below from this mountain and wallow in her own darkness.

But was that the right thing to do? Certainly not, even she knew that. It was not the best way to move on, but a one-way ticket to letting those monsters devour you from the inside out. So she forced a smile as he offered his assistance in getting a treasure for herself, one that he already had snagged.

“I have—” Her gentle voice cut off by that bitter taste again, choking out her vocals until forcefully clearing her throat as if it was just a hitch in her throat. A momentary embarrassment and not some mental plague taking its toll. “Would you? I would love one of the red ones!” Maybe his enthusiasm could help push the darkness away, even if it was brief.
^^
the staff team luvs u
09-16-2021, 11:17 PM
 Hmm... now, something didn't seem quite right. The woman smiled at him when he approached but there was just something about her expression that didn't ring true. He couldn't quite place his paw on it, but there was something there that seemed sad. When she spoke first, her voice just cut off. As if she was choking on something. Or was that just her clearing her throat? The dim-witted man just couldn't quite tell.

But then she asked for his assistance.

He wagged his tiny tail at her and nodded his head. "Eeyup! I'll be right back!" He began to walk away, stopped, and then flounced right back. "Whoops! I almost took this with me. Can you uh, watch this for me? Thank-you!" And then without really waiting for a reply, he left his own flag with her and then, really this time, flounced away to pick her out a lovely red one.

There! He could see one lined up a little ways away... but it was juuuuust out of reach. He jumped, missed. Jumped again, then also missed as his jaws audibly clasped down on air with a snap. Oh boy, he had to stop and take a breath after that. He was puffing a bit loudly as he tried to get his air back. He flopped his ample rear down on the ground and panted with his tongue lolling sideways out of his mouth.

the staff team luvs u
09-28-2021, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2021, 01:58 AM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
He was a big friendly guy - one who she would have loved to play with and joke around with if her mood had been better than it was. If her heart didn't sink into the depths of whatever darkness that crushed it after the last few days. It was suffocating. It sucked the joy out of her like winter water and body heat. It left her cold, even with his warmth just within reach if only she would reach out and grab it.

But his smile and attitude was infectious, making it easier to act along despite how empty it might feel. How bogus it may be. Already he was moving back and fourth, on his way to get her one of the things as well just to turn around and leave her with his. A trusting fellow too wasn't he? Something she would have done too - maybe if they had met on different circumstances, she thought, things would have been better. More fun.

His own blue little thing was at her feet now as he worked with the red one in his sights. Leaning over to take a sniff at it and see if she could figure out what it was - it didn't smell like anything at all. Didn't look like any animal pelt she had ever seen or flower petal or any kind of natural thing she had encountered before. It felt strange on her nose, rugged almost. After a while of studying the thing, she looked up just to see the man plopping down onto the ground - empty-handed for his attempts.

Gently taking the blue version with her, it was her parcel to watch over after all, and padded over to him before placing it back down to his own paws. “If it is too much trouble, please do not worry. They look beautiful here as well.” And so out of reach. Even if she were to stand up on her hind legs she would not even be able to touch them with her paws. Only the one he had managed to take earlier was the only one she would grasp.
^^
the staff team luvs u
10-03-2021, 06:18 PM
 He sat there, tongue out, and didn't notice when the white maiden maid her way over to him. It wasn't until she spoke that he looked up at her but then it was to give a reassuring smile. "No no, s'all right!" A small break to huff a bit more. "I can-- I can get it for you. I just-- just need a lil' break. I'm big boned, you see." Yeah, big-boned, sure. He lowered his head and greedily sucked in more oxygen through flared nostrils.

Okay, now he was ready. "Don't worry! I'll get ya a nice pretty thing too, miss!" He had to! For the poor damsel in distress but not really that needed a nice thing! Besides, he'd already said that he'd do it. He couldn't just give up now! How would that look? It just wouldn't be right.

He stared upwards at the flag just out of reach. It was almost like it was taunting him. He just had to...

Leap! Miss. Leap! Miss. Pant, pant.

Okay, there had to be an easier way... He looked around and saw a rock! Hey maybe he could stand on that snow-covered stone and get a good leap-spot and grab it! That sounded like a nice smart plan. Nothing wrong with it at all!

He crawled up onto the much-too-small rock and prepared to jetisend himself into the air. He wriggled his rump like a cat and then... then... Completely missed the leap in a spectacular fashion. There wasn't enough traction or space for him to properly jump from the stone and he ended up partially flipping and landing face and chest first in the snow. Where he lay, contemplating all the decisions that lead up to this point in life.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
10-16-2021, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2021, 01:57 AM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
The strange man would reassure her that the strange fluttering colour would be hers. Calling himself "big-boned" which was something she didn't quite understand... he had a similar build to him as @Stark did. Did Stark also think of himself to be "big-boned"? They just seemed as though they had healthy appetites and strong in comparison to the dainty little thing that was herself - having enough appetite to consume just a small rabbit or so and be pleased.

Keeping guard over his red banner, she'd keep a paw on it while she kept her azure gaze on the woodland man who would continue to try and try... without success. The sincerity of his actions brought a smile to her face, one she had felt was the most honest she had shared in days.

With anticipation, she'd silently watch him prepare at the top of a rock, something she thought was a good idea at first! At this point, it mattered less if she had the flag to take home with her, but instead, she rooted for his success as the determination was infectious. He prepared... wiggling as he thought of the jump... she'd hold her breath as if the very thing would interrupt him... he'd leap! Pushing off the rock and —!

Missed. In the most dramatic and silly ways which had her forcing to silence a giggle. As he laid there, Reiko would take a moment to steady herself as to not laugh at the poor man who had done everything he could. Once ready and the giggles had subsided, she'd pick up his reddish
flag and trot back over to where he lay, placing the thing back down securely to her feet so she can speak without being obscured.

“It is quite valiant you keep trying.” A smile through moist eyes, tears no longer streaming despite their wet stains on her cheeks. “I may have an idea... perhaps we should work together? Combining our heights, I could possibly stand on your back and reach up.”
^^

the staff team luvs u
10-22-2021, 01:40 AM
 This was fine. Everything was fine. He just laid there, in the snow, face and chest covered while he just... well, nothing. How very embarrassing this all was. He wondered if she would just walk away from him or something? But no. He could hear her walk over to him and begin speaking. What's more. She called him valiant! His little nub of a tail wiggled and then he pulled his head from the snow to look up at her with a smile... a smile obscured by the snow all over his face so that he looked more snowman than wolf. He was glad that he could make her smile despite her previous bad mood. He always liked making others happy. "Valiant? Gosh, do you really mean that?" Valiant! Went paw in paw with his knightlihood!

When she mentioned having an idea he nodded his head, serious --as serious as Mordi could be when it didn't involve a fight-- and leaned forward so that he could listen. "Combing our heights" had him looking very confused as he thought of literally merging themselves together like some weird science experiment but then she clarified and he said "oooooooohhhh" as it all clicked into place. He nodded his head vigorously, "Yeah! That's a real good idea! You're awful smart!" He never would have thought about that!

So, new idea in mind, the large wolf would gather his paws under him and lie there with his head down as he looked up at the lady. "You can step on my back now. I'll be reeaaall careful so you don't fall or nothin'." She was a tiny thing so she shouldn't be too difficult hoist up. She'd be lightweight like a flower or something.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
11-05-2021, 01:59 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2021, 01:57 AM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
“Of course I do.” She’d say gently in return. She meant every word, and perhaps if he knew the internal turmoil that caused a deep fissure within her core; the warm coated man would perhaps understand. “It does not matter how often you fail, you keep trying. I would say that is a valorous trait.” So she’d explain her train of thought for now. Making it clear that she wasn’t just saying things for the hell of it.

As he called her “smart”, Reiko felt a little bashful at the compliment. She felt her gaze falter to the ground as if feeling she was unworthy of such a title. It mostly washed off her back, oil on water that had no place to be. She had done some mighty stupid things as of late… ruining many relationships along the way. Smart was perhaps the furthest she felt in this moment.

Creative maybe, and that is where she would draw the line.

Not long after the man took his position. Lowering so she could step on his back… which now felt like a strange thing to do. Almost rude really if it wasn’t for the goal in mind to help the man get the flag for her. “Oh — okay.” And she wouldn't go around wasting his time either. “S-sorry —” Stepping up onto his back, she felt her paws being unstable and wobbling around up there; well, she wanted to be certain she wasn’t hurting him or anything.

“R — ready…” Focus… for once she was more focussed on the task at hand, at keeping balance when the man would begin to move… no longer was she dwelling on the heartbreak that pained her chest but blue eyes waiting for the right time to grab the blue fluttering piece of fabric.
^^

the staff team luvs u
11-06-2021, 01:58 AM
 Oh, he was very, very warmed by that praise. What a kind woman she was! He hoped that he would meet her one day again after this! But, he was getting ahead of himself. They still had to get her a wavey thing first! So, when he laid down on the ground the woman walked onto his back carefully. It felt really weird, if he was being honest. He couldn't remember having anyone standing on his back before. However, even when he was lying down, he could tell that she weighed no more than a feather. Lifting her would be an easy task, so long as she didn't fall. It felt like she wasn't the steadiest up there.

He would have to be extra careful rising up.

When she confirmed she was ready he called up an enthusiastic, "Alright! Goooing up!" He said with a chuckle as he veeerryyy carefully lifted her upwards so that she hopefully wouldn't tumble off of him. "You're real light, miss! I feel like I could lift ten'a you!" He laughed and tried to turn his head around so that he could be nosy while she grabbed her flag but that shifted his back a little, he quickly realized. "Oops!" He said, correcting himself and looking back straight. "My bad!" He'd keep extra still now so that she wouldn't slip.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
11-07-2021, 11:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2021, 01:57 AM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
It took her a second to get accustomed to the new footing beneath her paws. The slippery skin sliding against his body felt worse than ice, more unsteady as if she was standing on semi-solid water for the lack of better words. It was her paws that were solidly placed on his skin, but the skin that moved around instead!

In a moment he called out, letting her know he was about to move. She'd struggle to keep her footing, tilting and counterbalancing to keep herself from falling over. Tail twisting and angling to help as best as it could. The man would comment how light she was, how easily she was lifted and to his credit had to be strong!

Before she could respond, the twisting of his head caused a bit of shift in balance as things angled upward. Gravity and the desire to hold herself from falling over pushed her to lean forward, leaning on his head until he's even out again. The strange ride brought a giggle to her lips, feeling as if she was a carefree child once more just playing with the other children of the pack in some goofy game.

Her mother wouldn't approve but right now that wasn't at the forefront of her mind.

“Hold still!” She'd cry out in mid laughter. Tears stung her eyes as it was a bittersweet feeling that bubbled up. She wanted to cry still, the wounds inflicted were still fresh and yet it was hard to not burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of this situation. Once her footing was steady again, she'd hold up on her own and slowly reach up - with the stranger and her heights combined, she was juuuuuust capable of snagging the nearest corner of the flag and tugged it free from its perch. “Gottit!” The victorious cry only muffled lightly by her holding onto the blue trinket tightly between her teeth, afraid for it to fly off into the wind.
^^

the staff team luvs u
Entertainer
11-10-2021, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2021, 03:01 AM by Mordecai1. Edited 1 time in total.)
 Oof! Her paws on his head made him hold still, scared that if he moved around too much she would lose her balance completely and tumble down. Still, her giggling and laughter was infectious as he tried to hold in little titters and giggles of his own. If he let loose with his laughter then she might fall because of his guffaws. That just wouldn't do at all. So, like a good boy he stood there while she worked to get her own wavey-thing. He was practically holding his breath as he waited to hear whether she was successful or not.

Finally there was the confirmation! He let out a happy whoop and then a, "Goin' doooowwn!" As he slowly lowered himself down, down, down to the snow like an elevator. Then, he would lay there so that Reiko could climb off of him and onto the snow once more. With that he would look up at her and wag his little nub tail and drum his forepaws on the ground excitedly. "Lemme see! Lemme see!" He wanted to see hers too! And oh! Then, he could compare his to hers and they could both wave them together! So exciting!

the staff team luvs u
11-17-2021, 01:55 AM
^^
Soon after she cried out in victory the large man descended, not without letting her know he was about to move so she could brace herself. Lowering her center of gravity to move with him and not fall off and accidentally hurt him by flailing about. As soon as he was steady and waiting for her to get off, she would do so as carefully as possible. Watching her claws and trying her best not to linger on any tender spots or put all her weight anywhere - even if he did say she was light as a feather, she would still be self-conscious and cautious of it all.

The way he cheered about allowed the girl for a moment to find herself again. To forget that pain in her chest and puff it out proudly instead. Lifting her head high while waving the blue thingamabob around to show off what they had worked together to obtain. Her tail wagged a mile a minute while posing stylishly with her new blue thing. Its blue was deeper than that of her eyes, but still matched her whole natural "look" of blues, pinks and white.
^^

the staff team luvs u
Entertainer
11-18-2021, 03:01 AM
 He was so happy to see that she was happy too! He did a little jig on his paws as she waved her thing around, the deep blue item weaving patterns in the wind! The warrior got so excited that for a moment, he forgot that he too had a flag until he ran over to retrieve his own and began waving it around as well, prancing around her in a high-footed strut as he joined in on the fun. What a lovely, lovely day!

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top