Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Idiot Sandwich

Early Morning Partly Cloudy 50° F
P
Content Warning
Sanatorium
09-02-2021, 10:31 PM
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Mild Gore
Adelaide lounged in the pre-dawn light, leisurely stretched in front of her and Zagreus’ den. He had caught her a small hare the night before, and she tore into it contentedly, reveling in the taste. Though it was tough and wiry, her meals had become few and far between, and to her it was exquisite as a filet mignon. Her companion was out for the moment, either warding off females or finishing his day’s hunting before he came home to her.

Despite her present state of solitude, she didn’t quite feel lonely. The desert harboured more life than the wolves of this realm realized. Little grubs wriggled under the sand, beetles scaled the dunes, camels lowed in the distance, flicking their tails to rid themselves of flies and buzzards circled a recent casualty. She enjoyed her quiet, contemplative moments between the chaos of her new life, but as the sun climbed higher she found herself wishing for company.

Her hare was nearly finished, and she licked her lips to cleanse the blood from her fur, unleashing a hearty belch. Who could she find an excuse to visit so late in the morning?

the staff team luvs u
"My poor angel, you were so beautiful before they cast you into hell." -Unknown
09-02-2021, 10:53 PM
^^Early morning, late evening, and the obvious night times were the times in which Moira was the most active and mostly because of the cooler temperatures. It was the early morning, meaning most of the crew would be hopefully asleep. Now was the time in which Moira slithered into their dens unnoticed whilst they were counting sheep and usually decorated them with flowers.

She had been scouping this particular den because it housed not only one wolf, but two. The Jackpot of dens, even if that soft fellow already had feathers - Moira would still decorate him, but above all else, she wanted to sleep on that soft coat of his. She was poking around, acting casual when the scent of rabbit caught her attention.

Just rabbit. Nothing else. No seasons. No herbs. Just plain ol’ rabbit blood.

Who in the world was awake right now? (And why?)

Upon closer investigation, Moira realized it was the other girl from before; the one who had smiled at her for some reason. And then she belched. What, had she actually enjoyed the taste of unseasoned… meat? Did she not know there were other things out there for her tongue to divulge in? Lord, someone get Moira two slices of bread..

As casual as ever, Moira approached with a smug expression, licking over her lips with a fennec crackle. Could they crackle? Well they do now.

“Watcha got there, friend?”

Say it. I dare you.
^^
the staff team luvs u
09-03-2021, 12:49 AM
Paws comfortably planted in the red earth, Adelaide finished off the last morsel of her rabbit and yawned widely, sweeping its bones to the side. The top of the sun had just barely begun to peek over the horizon, and she rested her head on her forelegs neatly, waiting patiently for Voro to return. Just as boredom crept in, she spotted the waving banner of a wolf - no, a fox, approaching her. Moira, she believed the girl was called, and a smile graced her face when she saw the little canid trotting up the path. “Hello, Moira,” She said, a touch of her accent tinting her speech. “If you want to speak to Vo- Zagreus, he’s out.” In the few days since she’d been initiated in Sanatorium, Adelaide hadn’t seen much of her packmates at all. Voro warned her to stay away from them, and she had obeyed thus far, but she couldn’t help it if one of them wandered into her midst.

“Oh, this? It was a hare.” She licked her lips once again, mournfully, regretting that her meager meal was gone so soon. “I’m sorry, I would have saved you some if I knew that you were coming to see me. My name is Adelaide, but you can call me Addi. I don’t believe we’ve properly met.” She arranged her short limbs in a way that was less casual. “What are you doing roaming so late at night? Or in the day, rather, it still confuses me.”

the staff team luvs u
09-03-2021, 01:09 AM
^^How exactly had this canine come to know her name, Moira wondered briefly. A brow would arch at such curiosity, though the fox would not speak her question. Which wolf was it that had their name in her mouth, too, she wondered? Her nose twitched in mild annoyance.

Moira would offer the briefest of chuckles - a crackle, really - as the woman suggested that Moira was here for the boy. Ah no. Not yet. A smirk about her features, the fox shook her head. “I am not here for Vo-Zag.” Whoever that was, but she assumed it was the gent in which the shewolf was fond over, or whatever the case was with those two. “Cute pet name, though. What does Vo-Zag call you, then?” Moira crackled some more, though louder, as a tongue rolled over her lips, eyes on the hare, or the remains of.

She took a few steps closer and inhaled. No herbs, nothing to smell here but a hare. How disappointing. For a moment, she glanced up at the wolf with disappointing eyes, before she recollected herself with the shake of her coat. “Oh, I’m usually up at this hour. Best time to collect the ingredients that I need for the um… ” Moira paused to wave a paw towards the hare bones with a smirk. “I simply don’t understand how you wolves would eat something so plain. You should let Vo-Zag breathe for once and come by my den for a real meal. I suppose I’ll look further south before it gets too hot. It’s lovely to meet you, Addi-darling.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
09-03-2021, 01:39 AM
What an odd little thing, Moira was. She certainly talked very quickly, and Adelaide had a hard time keeping up. She reminded the she-wolf of a magpie, chattering incessantly, flitting about from one thing to the next. Her smile slipped the more she listened to the woman talk, and a confused look crossed her face. Who was Vo-Zag? What was a pet name? She supposed the fox was referring to her mis-step as she tried to remember Vorona's new name. 
"I meant Zagreus, not- oh, it doesn't matter I suppose." She squinted at the fox when she asked what Voro called her. "My name, I suppose. Sometimes he calls me potato but I'm not quite sure what that means." It seemed the small thing before her had eaten pure sugar, she was practically ticking with the speed she spoke at. 

When she took the few steps closer, Adelaide couldn't help but back up. The stench that all Sanatorium members carried clung to Moira too, and she curled her lip slightly, trying not to lose her breakfast... or dinner. 
"Oh, that's a very nice offer. I would love to come back to your den, but..." She cast a glance over her shoulder, into the safe embrace of her own den. Voro would surely wonder where she'd gone, and they both needed their rest. "I'm not sure..." After a prolonged look at Moira, Adela decided that surely no harm could come to her while she was with the tiny creature. If she attacked, the girl could simply sit on her and all would be solved. "I suppose you're right, I do smother him a bit." A hot blush tinted her ears pink, "But we aren't- I mean... we aren't mates, I can go wherever I please." so long as I'm prepared to be dragged back home by my tail. 

"If you're going somewhere, perhaps I could join you?" A certain rebellious fire had ignited in Adelaide. She could take care of herself! She would take care of herself. Another yawn split her maw, but she shook off the tiredness. She wasn't sure where she would end up tonight, but she sure as hell wouldn't be waiting doggedly for her companion to come home so the pair of them could curl up and fall asleep, although the idea was growing more tempting with every passing minute.

the staff team luvs u
09-03-2021, 02:01 PM
^^Moira pressed her lips together to consider it, with the shake of her head. “Vo-Zag is Vo-Zag.” She said softly. Zag-whatever was a mouthful. Who would want to say that all the time? Vo-Zag, his name shall be, from this moment forward. “Potato is a strange pet name, but who am I to judge?” The mused, though blinking as she watched the larger canine back up from her as she approached.

Was… was the wolf afraid of the fox? If so, why? Moira was the least aggressive of the entire bunch, she was certain, even if she hadn’t and would likely never meet every single canine within their little cult. The fox tilted her head as Ade began to look around, as if she was making extra sure that they were alone. She had already stated that Vo-Zag was elsewhere, so who exactly was it that she was looking for. The fox arched a brow. “You are unsure about coming to my den, but you’ll come with me somewhere else?”

Were all wolves this strange, or just this one?
^^
the staff team luvs u
09-03-2021, 05:18 PM
Adelaide was growing tired of Moira's antics. She spoke in tongues, and her words sprinted in circles around the girl's mind. She huffed quietly, trying to keep up with what she'd said, "I'm not sure what a pet name is, but I am not a potato, it's just what he calls me. You are to call him Zagreus, I don't think he would like it if you called him Vo-zag." She blinked a few times, confusing herself. "I'm not really supposed to go anywhere alone," she grumbled bashfully, shuffling her paws on the ground. Voro had warned her countless times in that gruff, monotone voice of his that she was under no circumstances to trust any member of Sanatorium, though they all seemed alright to her so far. 

She cast her mind back to the night she had arrived, and the glinting fangs of Andraste's minions resurfaced, but there was no memory of Moira among them. Perhaps the little canid was safer than the others."If you don't want me to come with you, I understand."

the staff team luvs u
09-03-2021, 06:26 PM
^^
There were no antics, and Moira didn’t think she spoke in riddles. But of course, she was a fox, and not a big bad wolf. Moira gave a cackle and took several steps back with the shake of her head. “You do not like it that he calls you potato, so why should I care if he likes it that I call him Vo-Zag?” Moira hissed, brows lifting with the tilt of her head. Not to go places alone? What was she, a child?

Moira didn’t care for the bashfullness, or the attitude; pressing her lips together, Moira shook her head. “I don’t think so. Anyway, I’d best be going.. ” With her own huff and shake of her head, and without waiting for a response, Moira bolted off and towards the den of the albino.
^^

exit Moira
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top