Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Ψ · I Get Carried Away

Early Morning
P
Content Warning
Discovery
08-16-2021, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2021, 02:26 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Heat Day One
 Something was wrong.

Well, not wrong wrong but -

Meissa awoke early with a discomfort within her gut. She shivered, brow narrowed as the pain spread, sending her panting and shifting away from @Flynn so that her paws were no longer upon moss and pelts. She lay down there, belly pressing against the cool stone. Their new home was something else, dens far larger than they could have expected before because they were part of a cave system. Further down the passage, she could see the dim light of early morning filtering in.

What was wrong?

The cold helped, soothed the pain that slowly melted into a dull throb throughout her abdomen. She groaned softly, rubbing her neck against the ground to try to distract herself. Finally, she twisted, feeling wetness. Had she pissed herself? No, no, this wasn't piss. She sniffed at the sensitive area by her tails and let out a soft yelp of surprise as her nose drew away with warm wetness atop it that, with a swipe of her tongue, tasted of blood.

For, despite having gone through several cycles within her time alive, she had always been in a situation where her body had decided to conserve water and not fully, well, this. Not to mention, the strange thing she saw in the sky not two days prior that made her claws burn. Had that triggered this, somehow?

She whined, curling into herself.

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Content Warning
08-16-2021, 04:16 PM
Content Warning
  • Sexuality
  • *loud pony noises*

He'd missed it—the shower of diamonds she'd mentioned occurring during prior nights. Too swept away in the hardships of discovery, too busy sending his mind astray. The male carried the habits of history upon his back as though it were a security blanket; and despite its discolouration and smell of age, he was quite certain the old tattered memories wouldn't be detaching from his spirit for a long while.

Though that was life wasn't it? Much as it did to tire him, he remained steadfast in his failures of slumber. At first, he couldn't seem to pinpoint why his lids refused to seal. He thought up a storm, placing the blame on the heavy winds rocking the old formation they now deemed liveable. Yet, the cavern was unmovable. Its winding hallways dappled with greenery, filling the chambers with rich oxygen much like a pair of lungs.

It certainly wasn't Elkshire, no, it was better. They no longer slept in pitiful holes in the dirt but stood strong in a castle of... T-Thick stone! Walls of brick so... Stiff and hard... Uh, yes, yes, the cave was the perfect means of protection that they needed!

And a death sentence for outgoing aromas.

He'd... He'd scented it long before now. The fragrance that had once nearly torn his member from his body. All for a week, perhaps even as they traveled here, his nostrils had flared in anticipation. There had been something inside him that had wanted to warn her, but the process of speaking on such things hadn't been brought up before at all. Factly, they'd hardly had any experience of the... Intimate variety, as Meissa told him she wasn't ready. There was no point in getting the stallion excited over bits and pieces.

But now more than ever was he suffering—No, no, she was suffering. Her abdomen bloated with nausea, daring to allow a trickle of crimson stain the delicate furs that lined her rump. Though... There was still no denying his own queazy emotions. Mainly as he stood to creep closer, head dropped and tail pinned between his legs as a precaution. He didn't want to make matters worse if he brought an unwanted guest into their bedroom. “My Lovely? Is everything alright?” His words squeezed between his teeth, tongue quickly lapping at the froth attempting to spill.

Though... It looked as if his digit had waggled too close to the prize. The perfume, the want. Darkened nose bringing him inches away from her vulva; his warm damp tongue etching mere outlines of the sweet blood.

He knew. Or rather, she knew he knew.

And at his own eagerness did he snarl, yanking upward, whimpering with paws dragging across his face to clear the musk. However, it wasn't leaving... But he was. He waddled himself out of their nest, sitting a few feet away to put himself in timeout.

At least since he'd designated this section of the area to themselves, nobody could hear him counting the pebbles on the cold rock floor to distract himself.

the staff team luvs u
Content Warning
Discovery
08-16-2021, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2021, 02:29 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Content Warning
  • Sexuality
 The noise of him moving around caught her ear but she didn't move, her tails tucked over her nose and her paws curling under her. His paws moved closer, the sound going from soft fur to moss and solid stone. She could hear his claws clicking ever closer then quiet as he stood before her. His whispered words caused an ear to flick and she peeked out from the shadows of her fur to gaze up at him.

He was inspecting her, smelling this unknown injury. She could feel his hot breath upon her even as her muscles tightened within her.

And for some reason, through the twisting emotions of anxiety and fear, she wanted him to. Yet, her throat seized with confusion and worry, unable to release to answer her beloved. She closed her eyes, tightened her grip on herself, and heard his snarl, his receding paw steps. Only then did her shaking breath even out, hitching even as it did so.

Her eyes opened again and she saw him sitting outside of their den, his back to the nest and, in essence, herself.

She pulled herself upright, shaking and then shaking out her coat. Turned to clean her vulva, cleaning away the blood that she was almost certain would return. There was no pain in it, she realized as she cleaned. She knew of blood from here, but only when pups had been created - either when they were born or were lost. The issue was, no one spoke of this. No one had told her about her heat, what might happen if she were not in physical distress that stunted her relief. Maybe this was why her body reacted so strongly: It was used to being hindered when it was like this. Some physiological block caused by the psychological. Were her intense reactions to this a byproduct of forcing her body to hold it all in, to isolate?

Had something else happened that she could not remember?

She swallowed, her tails tucking up between her legs and against her belly. Her pawsteps towards him were at first unsteady but earned their speed as she approached, slowing as she neared him. She pressed the flat of her head to his back. “Let's swim,” she said quickly, stepping back and leaping past him, tail still tucked, and headed down the path that would lead towards the water. Even if he didn't follow, she continued on the mossy stone, following as it reached the earthy slope and then turning, paws moving through long grasses and flowers.

Her target: The pool at the base of the waterfall, where the water could mask her scent and the cold would bring relief to her sickness.

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
08-17-2021, 05:07 AM

“Let's swim,” “No, you're staying inside.”

Shallow breath stuck transparent talons into his throat—airways firmly closing, oxygen zipping back into the vain lungs they'd left. He had no want or will to gaze at the face his lover was likely holding towards him, as he was sure it was tainted with disdain, hurt, confusion. He, too, shared similar emotions for his quick and uncalled for use of words, but much like earlier was he left in a puddle of thoughts. Though, this time his counting of ideas was hastily pinpointed to one change alone. “I... I apologise,” This newfound confidence—this manhood. “But my demand is still in place.” They were only being fueled by her... Sickness.

Flynn had no intentions of controlling her, albeit, he had no intentions of letting her leave. Her stench was strong and lingering. In a land where the wind could blow a poem 30 miles in any given direction, he wanted his to stay here. Yes, yes, Meissa was his. If she didn't realise that, his sudden pressing aginst her body might notify her.

He sniffed and drooled, preened through her scruff, rubbing his hocks across her hips as a reminder to those who even dared look at her exactly who she now belonged to. Don't get it twisted. The woman had always belonged to him. From the moment they'd locked optics, to this very second. Only this ownership was different. It was amplified. “It's safer inside,” The sick freaks of Elkshire might have thought of her as unworthy of their affections, “I don't want to have hurt someone if they try to take you from me.” but he knew from experience what this fragrance she dripped could do.

“I want to say I'm sorry, again, for acting like this... But if you wish to swim to alleviate your pain, allow me to take care of you instead.”

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
08-17-2021, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2021, 02:30 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
 His voice caught her in her tracks, frozen. Tension in her jaws as her tails whipped back and forth, still tucked betwixt her legs. She turned slowly, eyes sharp as they targeted him. Oh? she thought with a bitter taste in her mouth. “What, just because I'm in my pains, you'll have me shit and piss in our bed?” Her language - no, not the swearing - was indicative as anything of her experience with her seasons, past and present. She wanted to say something more spiteful, such as I've cleaned up yours, will you clean up mine? but held her tongue.

Despite being angry, she did not want to hurt him.

“I will need to go out on the grass, even if I don't move above the hill.” The hill - that was, the surface of the Plains before slipping down into the jaws and throat of Hiraeth. While the wind above could carry scents for miles upon miles, could she not even escape the den to swim at the throat, where the waterfall dove into the earth itself? Would she need to wait for him to sleep before she could rise to relieve herself?

Did he intend on sitting watch for the whole week? That would surely not be a way to seduce her into giving consent. He was at her side, pressing into her, and she sat down firmly, tails flipping out from between her legs on either side of her belly and atop her hind paws. She was his but she had yet to fully warm up to the idea of allowing him to fully make her his. The fears of the pains, of the loss of autonomy... he would need to tend to her as she had tended to him first.

“They would first face my fangs,” she responded. Of those who lived within their little enclave, the only other wolf besides her mate of body and age to attempt would easily be shoved aside were he to even begin to attempt. She understood, though. Men were... so easily swayed, distracted. “My one and only, shall I keep you within the den during Tavra and Rosemary's heats as well?”

For despite the latter's male countenance, she was unsure if that portion of his biology was suppressed. Tavra too was too young, but how much longer before her heats began?

An offer came and she looked at him with a raised brow, “How do you propose to take care of me?”

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
08-18-2021, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2021, 02:31 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)

It was warranted—her assault of words. He'd been unreasonably possessive, coating her in a musk that drooping optics then realised she no longer wanted. The prince, if he could still call himself such, found that oftentimes when he grew an attachment to someone his acts of 'affection' were all too smothering. This, well. It had not been the expectation. Despite his open honesty in most parts of his life, this hadn't been his first relationship. Albeit not a memory he wished to recall, he did remember in brutal details seeing the past stung up alongside someone else.

These times were strange. Having left the only family he'd ever known behind, stripping himself of his royal titles, watching as the face he thought loved him wanted nothing of his sorry bum anymore. He'd sacrificed so much yet so little, but it hurt all the same. While the lot of them were getting settled in, enjoying the views of their new home, the pale lad was trying desperately hard to cling onto the bits of that home he had left. Which... Wasn't much.

Panicked eyes glanced around to the walls that held the gems of his journey, the pelts that decorated the floor too-soaked in heat to resemble any fragrance of Elkshire. Though... In the middle of it all, she stood. Angrily, no doubt. But she hadn't left. Meissa was his home... And he didn't want to lose that. But again had his words fumbled in translation, leading to a mess he now had to clean up on his own.

He remained silent, the expression on his face shattered, somber, but a soft excitement still there. Though he hadn't responded, he would nod, marching slowly off in a downward direction. He had something to show her, a gift compiled of hard work and love, the further they walked the more humid the air around them became all until lowly steam hit their legs.

Flynn sat upon a mossy bank, ears pinned to his head in disappointment. He didn't look at her, but at the underground hot springs that curved in front of them. It was softly illuminated by the reflection of the sun pouring in from the ceiling, cradled by soft grasses and bits of dirt; a perfect place to rest or plant... Or... Other things. But he doubted that was in the picture right now.

“... Ta-daa...”

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
08-19-2021, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2021, 02:32 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
 He was silent in the face of her anger and she watched him. Watched his mossy eyes frantically gaze from wall to wall, taking in their nest, their den, their home. She waited for him to respond, starting to regret her words but then reinforcing them internally with a clip of her teeth into her tongue. This is all new, she told herself, Boundaries must be set. It is not wrong to need to set these, it is important.

Her anger was righteous.

Yet, the flames of anger must not be let to fester, to rise and consume. She swallowed further angry snarls, words that would do more harm than good. Breathed. Tried to loosen the muscles within her that had tensed - but not all of them. Her tail still tucked low to stop her scent from spreading, as much as she could. What she had said, she meant. If he was to protect her during her heat, he would be guarded by her during the heats of whoever else might drift close enough to desire him.

Even as he nodded and moved, indicating for her to follow - which she did, cautiously - her tail remained tucked. She remained a pace behind him though the thought did cross her mind to leap away to play in the water behind her. A sigh left her lips and she shook her head, moving after her beloved.

What she saw when they finally made it lit her eyes up like Christmas Lights or... glow worms, or something else.

Lit from above was a secret place where water bubbled up. She moved to the edge, lowering her nose to sniff. It smelled ever so slightly of sulfur, of deep-underground where heat bubbled from the earth's heart. A paw was lifted and lightly touched the water. “It's warm!” she exclaimed, her tails starting to wag before she forced them to be still and against her belly once more. After but a moment of hesitation, she leaped in, water engulfing her and instantly soothing what was sore with a warm embrace.

When she surface, she paddled for a moment before turning to look at him. “Join me? The smell of the water should mask it well enough.”

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
08-19-2021, 05:51 PM

Still, he sat, eyes dripping downward, pausing to mutter words hidden in his bated breath. Once more had she offered her hands in swimming, once more had he hesitantly turned down the opportunity. The man hadn't cold feet, but a frozen heart; a vessel that was suddenly trembling at the thought of one day erupting upon the women he so dearly loved. She'd chiseled away at him, ripping the dusted sheets of yesterday from his crying lashes and held him close.

Even in their shared affection, he never knew why she coddled him. 

Just as now, he knew not why she chose not to comfort him.

'Why? Why does she stare? Why did she hurt me? Why deny me of my need?'

Pausing his thoughts, optics of dull mint trailed to her; simply smiling but doing nothing more. She wasn't oblivious to his distress, he could see it in her reflection, but she carried on as if there wasn't much she could do. He was struggling silently within himself, failing to realise that boundaries existed as his upbringing consisted of none. The only feeling her actions had brought him was hurt and perplexion, regardless, she wished for him to join her.

Was this an act of forgiveness or an apology? He'd said sorry for upsetting her, where was his? Did he not receive one in return? Not... Deserving of her sincerity? Yes, yes... He understood that. 

“Oh, okay,”

His body was more relaxed merely at the idea of possibly comprehending why she acted in this manner, the finer details of his nature finally falling through. So, of course, he joined her. He slipped narrowly beside her, reaching for the bottom of the pool before noting the waters were uneven. “Do... Do you like it?” The same old childlike innocence caught in his teeth, hopefully, eyes peering into her own with frantic blinks; desperately attempting to read her expression for approval. Much as he'd done with his father, his siblings, with Celnes.

“I was hoping we could uh, maybe have a date here... If you'd like that.”

He'd ask her now, that was right. A mental notch had been made. No more making decisions without her consent.

None at all.

the staff team luvs u
08-19-2021, 08:04 PM
 It was not that she wanted to hurt him - the exact opposite, in fact. It was more that she was wholly accustomed to having, really, any truly close bond with anyone. Her bond with the one she had adored before - Eve - had been little more than a puppy following behind, desperate for attention, for approval. Desperate for love. See, Eve? Didn't I do a good job? It was for you, Eve. All for you.

With Flynn, it was different. She was not waving her arms desperately on high for attention from a lofty wolf who could not love her, no matter how she spent years of her life devoting herself to her.

She had to learn - and she knew it. She knew it, seeing him looking pitiful. Her anger faded and she realized it and it hurt something deep inside her, knowing that she had hurt him even if she hadn't meant to. Or... had she? Had she wanted him to stop, to think on what he was doing? An apology had not left her lips yet because she was ashamed and the shame held her back.

It goes both ways, Meissa.

Now that she was masked with the odors of this cave and the warm waters that surrounded her, she felt her confidence rise. Her state of mind was not good, not healthy. She hated it, how her temper had flared, and she wasn't sure how to fix it.

He joined her, though he seemed hesitant.

She moved through the water to him, pressing her chest to him and wrapping her sodden paws loosely about his shoulders. “I love it,” she said softly, voice only for him. “I'm sorry for snapping earlier. The pains... they don't come without cost.” The cost, of course, was everything she had ever experienced in them - and even now. This new addition of blood more than the bloating, the nausea, the ache.

The way she saw her scent change him, it frightened her.

And, unfortunately, the woman's instinctual response to fear was to become defensive. She licked his face after a moment, still shedding the adrenaline that had flooded her system during their, what, spat? A spat that had quickly turned one-sided, something she regretted now.

Had she been another wolf, had she been her mother, she would have relished in the power she had over him. But Meissa, no. She saw it and felt a concoction of pity and regret. She had caused him to be like this - was she no better than Celnes?

“I know you want to protect me from... whomever. You don't have to worry, fawn, I'm not going anywhere. Nobody could ever take me from you.” She smiled, then her eyes trailed around this wonderful chasm he had found for them. “A date here would be wonderful. Maybe in... a few days. Once I've settled into the season... The first day I'm always very jumpy.” She gave a helpless smile, hoping it would appease him.

Two fucked up peas in a pod they were, full of issues to work through.

The difference was, now they could do it together.

the staff team luvs u
08-19-2021, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2021, 11:09 PM by Flynn2.)

Their emotions, well, they were difficult sometimes. It was to be expected when anyone from different backgrounds met, not to mention their ailments. While the two might have been blissfully unaware of their internal struggles—as they only recently started falling into place; bits and tots—what bled onto the surface had molted from them, leaving a disgusting shell behind. It didn't unquestionably mean they were born again from this experience, but it did reveal that they were able to learn from their downfalls.

This hadn't been a spat, but a test. A test to see if they were capable of reading one another when words failed.

They had passed.

Flynn, as expected, reacted positively to her touch; stepping into her, curving his cheek into her kiss. It was the response his delayed mindset had been craving, an acknowledgment that would one day turn into crucial teaching. Though as it is so, he'd gone long enough without a proper reward, tail splashing water around like a wriggling fish.

“Y-You like it? I spent hours while you were out with Tavra cleaning it up!” Big paws slapped the water wildly, turning in circles as he tried doggy paddle around to show the place off. Not that she really cared, but he didn't know that, he was just happy she was. “Look up there! I cleared out a skylight! Please don't ask how, you'll get mad... But yeah! A date, it's a date!” Clambering back over, partially aiming to tackle her, another aiming to hug her, the man smiled.

Oh, what the boy had waiting in store.

(exit for the idiot.)

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top