Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I thought I was alive

Early Morning 50° F
AW
08-14-2021, 06:46 AM
There had been something beautiful about the flash. She didn't know what made it. She didn't know why it happened.

The only warning of her disappearance had been the flash. She remembered its violent streak of white across her eyes. She remembered looking through to it from the branches of conifer forests that had long been abandoned by humans. The radio collar she had been fitted with evaporated, and in the aftermath she found herself caught between spacetime.

Dumped into a forest of more thin spruce trees, Sam looked above her to spot little but the coming sunrise. The stars still wheeled overhead, and the day felt far from her. Her head hurt. No one seemed to be around her. She was caught in time.

Quickly, the vision began to transform into a dream. Had she awoken in this place? The collar felt so fresh upon her skin, yet when she looked, no imprint was visible. Sam blinked, and frowned. She took a tender step, touching all four toes down before risking her paw pad. Then another. The air was thin here, but the ground was softened with late summer brush.

What now?

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-15-2021, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2021, 03:13 AM by Ragnar. Edited 2 times in total.)
Though similar with the still lush branches of the evergreens, the Everfrost was by far greater then that of the forestry which bordered around the mountains of his home in Northfall. Sindri would remain for now, catching up on the time lost with her pups. So Ragnar would set off to venture, to learn of the lands around his home.

The forest seemed endless, a frosted beauty and Ragnar could envy what would make great hunting grounds not far from Cloudrest's doorstep. He did not seek to hunt this day, only explore and in his search he picks up the scent there of another wolf. He follows, of course and howls out to the other lone wolf as the yearling comes into view.
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
08-17-2021, 02:47 AM
 He could see him down below, in the snow-dressed wilderness. Ragnar.

It wasn't just his wolf there, however. There was another. Darker in coat and it looked to be younger. All this he could see from his vantage point high in the sky with his sharp gaze cast down below. He hadn't gotten to speak with the wonderful wolf that was Ragnar in a while, and now, he figured it a good a time as any. What if this other wolf proved to be dangerous or someone was needed to be grabbed for his wolf?

The bird let out a raucous, deep caw as he spiraled down towards Ragnar. With several flaps he was there in a rustle of feathers, alighting upon Ragnar's shoulders as the wolf let out a long howl. "Ragnaaar." He caws out in greeting, sitting there as a sentinel while he waits for them to greet the other wolf.

Hope you guys don't mind the intrusion o3o

the staff team luvs u

"Speaking in Common Tongue"
"Язеьнсхж сх Иьэех ШдхжкебФсиа Шдхжке!"
08-17-2021, 07:31 AM
Heehee of course not <3

Panic started to set in, for it was as though Sam had woken from a terrible nightmare. Her initial confusion bred desperation, gasping and feeling her heart in her throat as a howl rang out through the woods. A bird, oddly, twisted down through the canopy to find the wolf who bore it.
 Sam spun to the voice, ethereal in these strange woods. They smelled ancient, as though unfrozen from a glacier from times past. The person who had called her was a distance away through the woodland, visible even through its summer foliage. She offered out her own broken, pup-like howl, full of a sad little note, unsure and unwilling.
 Not knowing what to do, Sam strode closer to the stranger, ears bent and tail loose under her. “H-hello,” she tried, moving within a few metres of him. “I-I-I'm Sam,” she introduced, poorly.

the staff team luvs u
08-23-2021, 01:14 AM
A raven's caw, it pierced the skies, demanding attention. As Ragnar had raised his skull to howl, he would catch sight of the winged shadow, made to blacken Ragnar's vision with its body until landing atop his backside. “Kra, my guide in the sky.” The wolf's head tossing over his shoulder, he smiles to his feathered friend.

Whipping back to the wolf deep in the everfrost. She sings back in turn- a soft, youthful voice, broken with uncertainty and sorrow, even. She strides in his direction, low and pained. It is evident in her face and flowed into her movements. “Sam...” He cooes pleasantly, though knew his voice alone could not ease her. “I am Ragnar Stormborn and this here is my friend, Krakarak.” He introduces with every ounce of chivalry and friendly nature. “What troubles you, Sam?”
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
08-23-2021, 03:14 AM
 Guide in the sky. The raven's head lifted proudly, pleased that his friend had not forgotten how to properly stroke the bird's feathers. He wiggled his tail feathers, clearly pleased. Then, his attention turned back to the gray and brown wolf as she howled out a small, mournful song. She approached them, timid and mournful. The raven looked her over with sharp, keen eyes, wondering what on earth had happened. Was it danger? Were they in danger? Surely not, no, as the wolf wasn't still running and he hadn't seen anything.

The name "Sam" though, tsk, it wasn't exactly a good name, now, was it? Not harsh and worthy of a great caw like his own name or Ragnar's. He was very partial to the harsh sounding names, not these fluffy delicate ones that a lof of wolves had. Yuck.

When he was introduced, he let out a croak in greeting when his name was called while he continued to watch with his beady purple eyes.

the staff team luvs u

08-26-2021, 05:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2021, 05:29 AM by Sam II.)
Though she had noticed the raven before, its presence felt important as she strode closer to the stranger. She didn't know what to expect. Nothing smelled like it had before. Nothing felt normal. Her own body felt strange, as though something had been different before the event. For a moment, she recalled screams in the midst of the destruction of her old world, but then... moments later, they had dissipated. She could not remember them. She could not remember her family, nor their faces, nor their voices.

For the moment, she knew only of their existence, and that the raven and the white and gold man existed here and now. Ragar. and. Krakarak.

“I...” He seemed to be honest, but Sam was not sure what to say. “I don't know. I'm scared. I don't... remember,” she responded, dejected and crumpled in mind and body. She shivered lightly, though she knew that she was in no physical danger.

But she looked up at the raven. It circled, as a normal raven, but she knew it was watching over her, well, over him. “I like your bird,” she said, a thin semblance of a smile at her lips.

the staff team luvs u
09-01-2021, 12:18 AM
A shaking of tail feathers, Ragnar chuckles. Had the wolves of his family wore off on the bird already, that he shakes his tail with glee as they did?

Ragnar turns then back to the yearling before the friendly pair. She is hesitant but still, fearful, confused. She didn't remember. She was scared. Ragnar smiles for her once more, allowing himself to settle down within this vast woodland. He hopes that this may ease her a bit more, despite that it might disrupt Kra's sitting on his shoulders.

“Why thank you,” He says, side glancing to Krakarak in the process. “He is my closest ally in these new lands.” Another comment to boister the bird, of course. But it was true. He was the first one to bid him a great help when it came to finding a new home for he and his family and was the first to join his flock, too.  For the time being he did not let the other wolf know the bird spoke their own tongue. Ragnar would leave that part for Kra to decide.

“Have you just awoken?” He pauses and then elaborates. “Many of us our new to these magical lands. We arrive by An Awakening, it mostly seems. The Gods have chosen us and so, they have chosen you.” Whatever point they had in bringing all these wolves here, Ragnar didn't know but he did know he would make the very best of it for himself and his family.
the staff team luvs u
09-01-2021, 07:05 PM
She liked... his bird? Hmm, Krak was conflicted. On the one wing he liked that she liked him... On the other ... He belonged to no one but the skies! He narrowed his eyes and then butted in, "Krakarak belong to no one! Kraw Kraw! He ally! He friend of Ragnar!" Not some sort of glorified pet.

This little hatchling, though he was partially flattered, he would set anyone straight about his importance. Hmph. The nerve. He would turn his head away and look upwards towards the sky, portraying the height of offense while he listened to Ragnar.

Chosen, not he. He had always been here but he was not a howly wolf. No, he was a special raven, chosen by the gods themselves! Or so he believed now, as Ragnar had told him as much before.
the staff team luvs u

09-02-2021, 07:20 AM
 She saw the bird fret almost immediately after she said what she did. She frowned at it as it corrected her, and she nodded, “S-sorry I didn't... mean.. that.” It seemed rather useless as Kra acted all-too-offended. She hadn't meant the offence, though she admitted inwardly that she'd assumed he was a pet of some sort. She made a mental note to never make such a mistake again.
 Have you just awoken? Sam nodded several times. His words made her feel like all of this was somehow normal. Expected. She was not alone.
 “The...Gods? Choose me?” She made a face. “That, no. That doesn't make any sense. I'm not... I'm. I'm just Sam. Nothing special! Just Sam. Not.. Godly or nothin',” she reflected back to him. She frowned at him, even though he seemed so kind.
 He was... wrong. He must be.

the staff team luvs u
09-06-2021, 02:57 AM
Ragnar couldn't help the chuckle, amused with Krakarak's fretting. He was surely the dramatic sort, but the golden northern would have imagined it no other way.

Sam nodded, confirming her having woken up here but quick to reject his other words about how and by whom. Ragnar wouldn't imagine she was any Godly being nor that she wasn't 'just Sam'. In all honestly, she seemed meek and that meekness reflected weakness. Shy, lack of confidence... Ragnar wouldn't imagine someone like her would do well within his ranks.

He thought these things but tried to not make hasty judgment. Maybe if she were pushed, guided in the right direction, she could be more determined then he thought.

He wouldn't argue with her. For whatever reason she was plucked from wherever she had been by some magic or other wordly design. Ragnar would not pretend to know why. “Be that as it may, you have arrived here regardless...alone. A pause. “I am sorry for your plight.” His scruffy face lifts, looking around them through the forestry.

Turning back to her, he sighs. “What do you remember, before this?” Maybe, somewhere, she did have someone but they were lost to her, much as he and Sindri's son was now.
the staff team luvs u
09-13-2021, 03:39 AM
 Hmph. At least she had apologized for her incorrect assumption. The bird would say nothing more and instead watch as the two wolves conversed with each other. He noticed how she wasn't very confident thing, not at all. Tsk tsk tsk. Granted, he didn't think anyone should have as much confidence as he should but still.

feel free to skip le raven unless he is directly addressed

the staff team luvs u

09-28-2021, 07:38 AM
 The man before her seemed almost all-knowing. He and the raven were odd figures, so much that Sam wondered if she might be dreaming. The chill from the morning wind struck through her young fur coat, and this was something that did not happen in dreams at all. She looked about her, as though searching for the world that had disappeared. She couldn't even remember what it looked like.
 alone.
 Sam wanted to cry when he said it. But his voice soothed her — he offered kindness in her darkness, and this was a noble gesture she recognized at once. “Thank you,” she answered vaguely, through found herself looking through him into some beyond. She did not know what to do. She could only carry on, like she always had.
 “Remember?” She thought for a moment. Parts were disappearing as she thought about them. “It's like it was a dream, and now I can't remember at all.” Hadn't something awful happened? Hadn't it hurt? She couldn't recall. “I remember love, though.” The response felt almost automatic. She said it while staring into the forest.
 Warmth, and radiance. It had filled her once, and then it was gone. “What do you remember?”

the staff team luvs u
10-12-2021, 02:29 AM
All-Knowing. Ragnar would have been amused by such a thought. Would had said as such to Sindri upon his return home. All knowing, like the All Father Odin with his trusted raven perched at his side.

She who was at such a loss, the golden wolf imagined any information he had for her may prove some relief but as she looked around the seemingly endless forest, no sign of recognition came to her and the utter sadness she wore was heavy in the crisp air.

Her last moments before coming here was like a dream. The same in which everyone thus far had explained only to be awoken here. Unlike she, however, he remembered exactly what he had been doing before whatever magic had brought him here.

“I was with my family... we had been traveling for quite some time to find a new settlement. We found rest for the night under the cover of a great oak.” He explained, icy eyes watching the other carefully. “When we woke, we were not in the same place we had fallen to rest. One of us,” He trailed off, a sigh and his lips forming in a tight line of unpleasantness. “One of us was gone. But the rest, we continued on with our same intention and found a home finally to call our own.”

Regardless of them loosing direction they had found what they were looking for. Maybe even the Gods meant to purposefully but it did not come without consequence. Gunthur was lost, just as was this here Sam.
the staff team luvs u
10-27-2021, 06:08 AM
I have no idea how this time sink happened, but I am fading this here x.x

An oak. It seemed very much light a dream; she felt like she could almost see what he described, reaching out from the earth with its grand arms and branches, stretching beyond her sight.
 She gasped a bit, breathing out and in a heavy breath as he spoke of his journey. It didn't fully make sense to her. She didn't exactly know how to do with this person and the bird that hung about. She was afraid. Things were not certain. Was she dead? That seemed like the most likely explanation for what had happened, and he was... whatever he was. “Thank you... for helping me,” she said, rather weirdly, to him.
 “I have to go,” she said abruptly. This was sort of untrue, but she needed to be not where other people were at that point. She was scared, not of him, but of everything. She needed to figure out what the fuck was going on.
 So she ran off.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top