Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Φ · Sneeze the Day

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
P
Discovery
Hunter
08-12-2021, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 10:46 PM by Buck. Edited 2 times in total. Edit Reason: skill add! )
[narrow width=700]

B U C K

The boy had wandered a little bit but nothing felt like home. Over the course of the last, well, nearly two weeks, he'd done a good bit of digging around. Not physically digging, since he knew there was a pack here and that would be rude, but the whole sniffing and checking stuff out deal he was good at.

No signs of lions.

No signs of mammoths.

No signs of any of the other great beasts he was used to having to stay away from.

The trees here were larger - or was he smaller? The deer here in this field in particular were more passive than home, though when he wandered further into the forest, he had found deer who acted as expected. Was there something in the water here that turned them into sheep?

Speaking of sheep, he had found one wandering about the mountainside just north of here. He'd caught it when it had been spooked by his presence, its legs broken atop the rocks though he knew it had to be used to it. He'd dragged his kill here, into the Range. The guards here had told him to stay in the Range and go no further within the land, though he was free to leave as he wished. He wondered for how long, since they hadn't given him a reason beyond a warning look.

Hm.

He lay down and began to dig into the mutton.

[/narrow]

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
08-12-2021, 06:10 PM
The Royal Guard had been disrupted, and now she knows of an absence of some, but at times can still smell a few ; though of course would not face her. She didn't banish anyone, but some part of her always expected since it had been weeks, or even a month since the dissatisfaction from Flynn grew.. Célnes didn't know where it started, but she did know it seemed it wouldn't end by the ample of conversations they continued to have, and grow in but arguments.

Perhaps a part of her was rather reluctant to remove family. She had lost so many already, in a way the Queen was looking for a replacement of her brother, a place he held so tightly within her heart. Their decisions together, the work they held, and the ease of talking comfortably of their more devious plans together. Any who was possibly positioned for that position was now deserters, betrayers of sorts. She would assume with her last words of voice to him, he would be in mind to leave.

Though since those who left - that simply meant she'd have to take up the role of being more active at the borders. Even though, it hasn't been two weeks since giving birth.. She could feel herself weakened, exhausted. Slightly ashamed for all these contributed to her own outburst, it simply felt out of character, but true to her feelings at core. Now often would she request @Vaskian to look out for the litter while she did a quick stroll by, and even at times @Calliope the woodweaver, finding a comfort in the woman. @Remus of course, rarely objected, but she would need him following alongst border patrol as well.

Then she remembered - wasn't there wolves at the range that they told her about? A headache, but it was best to check so. With a kiss of her children, particularly to @Maral, the Queen was off to look.

"Are you one of the recruits?" She so appeared from the shadows, looking onto a man feasting upon a mutton.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
08-12-2021, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 10:46 PM by Buck. Edited 1 time in total.)
[narrow width=700]

B U C K

Buck was, as usual, oblivious to every damn thing going on. He was just happily munching away on a leg of lamb when the voice of a stranger brought him from his mindless munching.

He looked up at her, somewhat surprised to finally be noticed by someone, and swallowed his bite. “Ah, yes, ma'am!” he said as he shuffled up to his paws. “I'm Ingham, er, Buck. Buck Ingham. I met a girl named Cynefrid the other day here and she told me a bit about the place - then some guards said if I wanted to stick around, I'd have to stay here in the Range.”

He smelled a whiff of milk on her and knew instantly that either she was nursing or was helping with someone who was nursing and, well, knowing from experience of being around his little siblings - pups were exhausting and could make someone super hungry, super fast. He glanced at the half-eaten sheep. “Have you eaten, ma'am? I caught this in those there mountains over there.” He indicated towards the mountains to the north, nervously hopeful that she wouldn't think he'd been hunting in her territory.

He'd just been hoping someone would show up... eventually.

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
08-13-2021, 09:09 PM
"Ah, I was delayed for some time.. A litter was recently welcomed." She shot him an apologetic smile without vocally saying so, explaining why they directed him to continue at the plains. She was rather surprised anyone would stick around for that reason, some would simply decide to not even wait around and but leave for another. It was a curiosity to the man, who held such a holy pelt.. Almost as if it was a replacement to some others.

So the High Elk wills it.

"I have not, if you do not mind, it has been some time since a larger meal." Though Célnes was thankful for those who brought smaller meals. She had cravings of particularly rabbit for a while, and many appeased her hunger by bringing the variety. She enjoyed how caring many were, even in the end it did come crashing down. She couldn't remember though how long it's been since a large meal like so, as many within Elkshire had a tendency to hunt boar.

She sat down beside him, a slight humming, "You are lucky it wasn't elk or deer. For us, it is forbidden to hunt them. It would be an insult." Though she said in jest, without a real harm to it.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
08-13-2021, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 10:46 PM by Buck. Edited 2 times in total.)
[narrow width=700]

B U C K

He gave a couple nods too many to that, beaming at her. Damn, were all the ladies here so pretty? “Congratulations, ma'am! For the mama and the babies - I bet they're real cute!” Had he a hat, he would have tipped it. He recalled playing with his young siblings when his parents were out with his older siblings and even maybe a cousin or two before the volcano happened and his pa and aunt got separated.

She accepted his offer of the sheep and he grinned, shifting away to let her in without crowding her space.

As she settled in, he watched her in a leisurely manner. “Them sheep in the mountuns, they're mighty quick on their feet but if you spook 'em at juust the right moment, they fall right down,” he nodded sagely, though maybe he was showing off a little bit.

“Oh, da-” he said, cutting off his curse with a nip of his tongue. “Ma'am, if I'll be honest, miss Cynefrid was walking with the deer herd so nicely, it woulda felt wrong t'hunt any of 'em.” Having such tame deer around was bizarre and he was still wondering what the deal was with them. If they weren't to be hunted, what, were they pets?

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
08-15-2021, 04:52 PM
He was a smooth talker, she quietly deducted from their very short talking. Though to be genuine or just a ploy of 'playing the fool,' she couldn't tell. Her trust was rather in a momentum of a wariness, a benefit of the doubt was often given to new recruits, and even Célnes held most, if not all at a paws length. Though recent movements have made it even moreso harder to deduct should she play nicely amongst the new wolves.. Even now her children were also a thought. A time where she could foolishly thrust Elkshire into whatever what the Queen decided, but now the consequence would come with them being.. So small.

She held an impatience for their growth. Time and time did she have to say so ; some part of her regretted such a rash decision to have kids. Though the safety of the blanket permitted so, only to be swept away.. Some part of her mind seemed to drift away while he talked on in a friendly way, before realizing to snap back into the reality before.

"It is rare to hear that someone who is not a Deorwine ; our family considers them sacred, a protector of sorts to the wolves who hold our family name." Some would say they were elegant, proud and regal, but none would truly say they would not hunt them anymore, and continued so. Some of her family may burn in anger of such a way, but she knew. Célnes couldn't stop them from hunting beyond their borders, nor' did she mind so. The least she could do was deny the permission to hunt the herd inside.. A relationship, a give and take.

"Tell me Buck, do you still desire to join us?"

the staff team luvs u
08-16-2021, 02:22 AM
[narrow width=700]

B U C K

The lady seemed to enjoy his present so he had another bite politely, listening as she spoke of something called Deorwine. He tilted his head in curiosity, munching away before swallowing what was in his mouth. “Deorwine?” he asked, brows raising with curiosity. He'd never heard of the pack - but wait, wasn't this Elkshire? Or the lady had called it Sleeping Doe's Range so... he really wasn't sure what to make of it all.

Or rather, what name to call anyone, including the lady before him who hadn't actually introduced herself.

“Yes ma'am!” What he didn't say was this: I've got nowhere else to go. Since that was not really a good reason to join a pack, or rather he doubted she would think so, he didn't want to be strictly obvious about that part. “Back home, I did a lot of huntin' and made sure nobody got in at my little siblings.” Thankfully, he'd never had to fight an actual wolf but he knew one day he would likely have to.

He'd seen it, too - his parents had chased off a couple roving males who got a little too close for comfort. His ma had been a real belle so he supposed they were probably trying to get his daddy away so they could become his new dad. He'd been too small at that point to do much of anything and they hadn't come back after getting an ass-whoopin'.

“Scent-markin' and stuff like that too, basically whatever you need me for, ma'am!”

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
08-18-2021, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2021, 03:25 AM by Célnes. Edited 1 time in total.)
She took small bites, not indulging herself too much, body still shifting from the hormones that she held for months from carrying them. The meal felt heavy within her stomach, thought delicious to swallow as whole, she knew she had to take short and sweet bites, simply savoring it and stalling for a few more while waiting to pinch more off. Though her gaze momentarily traveled by.. As part of the elk herd decided to step outside of the forest, and enter to the plains. Some were already stranded out, enjoying the warmth, but now more has come of them.

"Deorwine means, friend of the elk." Her paw gestured over to the group that arrived. Within the golden glade of the plains that were outside of Elkshire, they often laid amongst the open, though often clung to the side of the forest for any predator that may roam by. Dazing away in the sunshine that drenched to their pelt.. Luckily enough as well, the place seemed like a true treat - for the oddly colorful flowers that stuck around. Even she at one point tried it, and there was a slight sweetness that came to them, "we value them like kin, for their God, and my God, the High Elk, is our Patron."

She turned her attention back to him, the Queen's bright eyes slowly gazing upon his body. She would've thought he was perhaps another warrior, though such a cheerful personality, maybe it wouldn't have suited him, "A hunter?" she couldn't remember the last time there was someone who claimed said-rank, she believed no one actually held so, "we call them Krestlefangs here."

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
08-20-2021, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2021, 12:17 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
[narrow width=700]

B U C K

He wondered if she was enjoying the meal, though he had no reason to really question it. Childlike hope that what he did was satisfactory. The meat was good, if he said so himself, but he wasn't sure if wolves who lived in forests liked meat of the mountains or the plains or wherever else ovis liked to live.

Her gaze shifting caught his eye and he followed it, noticing the herd of elk moving in. They were huge creatures, ones he'd never had a chance to hunt since they never liked to go where he and his family lived. Except... these ones looked smaller. Their antlers looked different, so thin and spindly. He hadn't really paid attention before but wow, they were tiny compared to the megaloceros he was used to! He figured they weren't the same but he wondered what they were - the lady spoke of elk so he supposed that was their name.

“That sounds mighty nice, ma'am. What's the High Elk like? He look like one of 'em or more like a Megaloceros, with the big fat antlers?” There was no sign of derision in his voice or face as the man was genuine in his curiosity. He'd heard about different types of animals gathering together, especially with the tall legged critters with the pointy knives and arrows that his pack avoided for their own safety.

“Yes ma'am! Never heard of a Krestle, but I've heard of a Fang!” He grinned, thinking his (extremely stupid, lmfao) joke was pretty witty.

I've decided Buck is from basically the Ark Survival Evolved universe, so I don't have to worry about realism when it comes to what species he would know, lol

[/narrow]

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
08-23-2021, 07:38 PM
"The High Elk is a grand tall elk, one with a thousand horns - so they say. A patron, a deity, a God we will never see." Only rumors of him so, and she wondered the day he would ever show to Célnes. Even upon her death, as she was fatally stabbed by a white elk, did she saw no sign. Though as days and prayers go by, she once doubted him so deeply, and yet all the fears a Déorwine had, were slowly coming true. Betrayed by those who carried white, a prophecy that was given toward those stripped of color - what a shame that had occurred.

"I'm unaware of those - are they where you hail from?" The Queen knew not of the beasts, and was unaware they were extinct centuries ago. She could not imagine anything else with bigger antlers, but perhaps thought they were the moose he spoke of. She remembered a debate amongst the Deorwine's if they were to be hunted or not, but in the end, they were deducted to be separate entities, and thus, free reign. But difficult as they were, it was not a task that looked upon lightly, nor' often.

the staff team luvs u
09-04-2021, 09:24 PM
[narrow width=700]

B U C K

High Elk... one with a thousand horns... Horns?

He looked over at them. “Huh, don't they usually got antlers?” Maybe that's what she meant. Oh well, it didn't matter so much and he forgot about it almost instantly, looking back at her and thinking about patrons, deities, gods. “Wow, I've never met a god before... have you?” He scratched at his ear thoughtfully. “Or, guess not cus you said we can't see'm.” Did that mean he was invisible?

She asked about the megaloceros and he grinned. “They're huuuge, three wolves tall and their antlers are real wide, like, like, fuck'n...” he mumbled the last bit, trying to look around for something to explain. “Oh, sorry ma'am! They're like a big ol' turtle shell, all emptied out with thorns stickin' off 'em.”

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
09-12-2021, 04:49 PM
She nodded, a small chuckle coming through, "Though it may be, for as long as i've known, it was but many ways to call them. It is thought that their antlers extend beyond the world itself, some rumors say it is the tree's itself - no one has seen." An epithet, though none most likely not true. Her own thought was simply one that held many points within the antlers, perhaps one of grand size, a beauty to the eye - the king amongst kings. Yet, perhaps for her sins, she would never truly see a sign. In the end, she was killed by one that was white, and somehow, remained alive in another world. It always remained the question for the Queen, was this reality, or but limbo?

"Oh my, I do not believe I seen anything like." Célnes thought about the Elk, and the Moose that stood higher then them, and wondered if the thought was pertained to them.. But of course she would never truly know, the strange land Buck had come from. She only listened and would nod, mind turning a bit in wonder, but at some point she would think perhaps it was but an exaggeration, a delusion of what was a childs memory. Then again.. The lands were strange, and gathered many from everywhere. He could be in a truth, of his own.

the staff team luvs u
10-13-2021, 10:52 PM
[narrow width=700]

B U C K

A god, wowie gollie. His eyes widened in awe at the description, soaking it in wholeheartedly and completely forgetting the semantics of language. Antlers extending beyond the world - being the trees?? He looked around them at the trees, mouth agape and tail beginning to slowly swag in a way. “Dog hot, ma'am! I wonder'f one day we'll get ta see him here!” Maybe if they prayed real real hard to get a peek they'd see one of his antlers out the top of the trees one day.

Or maybe one of his great big eyeballs! He had to be HUUUUGE if he could carry that many antlers on his head!

“Maybe they don't come round here, 's fine though cus they can be real scary if you spook'em and their kiddos.” He nodded firmly. Yes, they would crush a lone wolf pretty easily and gosh he did not want to get crushed by a heavy hoof. Or a light one. Or any hoof, really, he didn't like being crushed. It made him sore.

He didn't know what was next in their conversation so he just grinned at her, excited for this new chapter and all sorts of rabb- oh! “Oh! Ma'am! What kinda foods do you like, cus deer'n'elk'n'such aren't on the table?”

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
10-14-2021, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 07:28 PM by Célnes.)
"The world seems like a mystery, large and wide.. For many seen wonders, and many have not. An adventure of yours I do not know, but perhaps more time, you could share some stories with Elkshire." She smiled lightly while thinking how the poet, Calliope perhaps would enjoy such a man. He shared of odd creatures she did not know, even if they sounded familiar.. A story that wasn't her own and of unknown origins. Many though, some bored within the peaceful land, would surely enjoy a story of mystery ; at least, she knew those of the Deorwine origin would.

"I enjoy rabbit, though small at times, they taste like a treat." Perhaps her most favorite of meals and especially wanted during her pregnancy craze ; but even before it was considered the best of meals for herself. Even though she had tasted elk and deer, they weren't a favorite meal.. Though some part of her does wish to try the bison, long ago she once saw. At times the Queen had also ate goat, but they too were but just a simple meal, "what is yours?"

the staff team luvs u
10-14-2021, 08:46 PM
[narrow width=700]

B U C K

The world was an oyster. A giant, smelly, funny oyster. He looked up at the sky, a thought or two dancing about his brain before settling and he looked back at her. “Yes ma'am, I'd love to tell some stories!” He'd often told stories to the little'uns when they were holed up in the den with the rest of the wolves out on hunts or doing other stuff. He usually was out there hunting with them but a lot of the time his mom and dad seemed to prefer him to stay home or hunt alone or with his siblings - not really with them. He didn't know why, maybe he told the same stories to them too many times or asked them too many questions.

Oh she liked rabbits! He nodded excitedly. “Rabbits are good, real tasty. First one I catch, I'll bring to ya, ma'am.” It was a promise along with a firm nod. He considered her question then, his face quickly splitting into a grin. “Carno-taurus eggs!” He looked around again, seeming at once surprised he didn't see any. “Maybe you don't got any out here, but they're biiiiig, mean lizard lookin' critters. No lone wolf could take one down - they'd eat ya right up - but the eggs, oh golly, the eggs.” He licked his lips and wagged his tail, remembering how juicy the things were.

What were they talking about again?

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
10-14-2021, 11:57 PM
"You sure know a lot of interesting creatures," she commented with a slight chuckle. He was.. Unusual, she would comment, but a jovial one that was often needed within the bleak woods. Though many were companions and adored through, she couldn't think of many in such a positive nature besides Flynn. Though often or not was a double edged sword, she appreciated it, but as the Queen at times looked down upon them, and there has been too many times where those types have crossed her so.

"Come, let me show you around the forest." Celnes lifted herself up, and offered to show him further in the depths of what Elkshire may have - the official invitation to finally join within the woodlands.

wrap?

the staff team luvs u
10-15-2021, 09:31 PM
[narrow width=700]

B U C K

Buck grinned and offered a shrug. “Gotta know'em to hunt'em and stay alive around'em.” If you made one wrong move around a Carno, well, you'd find yourself as dinner. He'd dare say they were even meaner than the bigger beasts like Rexes. Probably not Spinos, those things were mean as fuck. He'd seen someone make the mistake of getting on one's bad side once - he'd be glad if he never had to see one of them again.

Though, he kind of missed the concept of home. Hearing all those roars at night, it put him to sleep. Here, well, the sounds were way different. Sometimes the bugs would make noises that reminded him of home, other times he just wished they'd be louder, angrier, something familiar.

Oh well!

“Lead the way, ma'am!” He smiled and grabbed at the meat that was remaining to carry it along while he followed her into his new home.

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top