Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
on that mourning

AW
08-09-2021, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2021, 12:19 PM by Qiuyue.)
to whoever joins, i’ll be switching between characters. post order is by player instead of character! :)

there was something uniquely interesting about seasonal shifts, especially as earth moved into its transitional periods, autumn and spring. while she’d already finished her first year, much of what qiuyue had experienced of the world had been through a child’s lens, allowing her a very limited understanding of the intricate processes happening around them. she was intent to learn more this year than she had during her first, even if it had to be done out of her mother’s sight.

qiuyue and yingyue walked together near empyrean’s northern border. while the commander carefully took note of its structure and quality, occasionally speaking out loud the things she was noticing, qiuyue found herself preoccupied with the tall conifers that surrounded them. she wondered if they looked like this always, and if they didn’t, why she hadn’t seem them look any other way. was it a quick process, one that she would have to plan to see? was there a small difference that she simply hadn’t noticed before? maybe it was something more obvious, something she simply hadn’t thought of, or even—

are you paying attention?” yingyue asked. she’d stopped walking and stood still, watching disappointedly as her daughter continued, apparently unconcerned with their lesson. “yes, i.. i was. i only missed some of it”, qiuyue replied. she hurriedly turned back toward ying, hoping that no one was lurking around to see the scolding which was surely to follow.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-31-2021, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 02:30 PM by Hydra. Edited 1 time in total.)
backdating this to when u started it just so shes not so far along lOL

The matriarch headed toward the borders more to keep an eye on things than anything else. @Alya was nearby, more suited to protect then and there given her state... but Hydra was no less capable of dispatching a threat, should one present itself. Alya kept to the woods, an unseen thing thus far... and as Hydra took note of the two ahead, the youngest of them looking to the trees, Hydra wondered if she might have been noted...

It seemed not. Hydra could not entirely hear all that was said, but she recognized the tone enough; it was one she herself had utilized, universal to all mothers educating their young she supposed. There was no judgment to be seen upon her features, schooled to stoicism; Hydra swept closer, and from afar her low voice sounded: “if you are going to note the trees,” she drawled, “note the sounds within them... or lack of them,” she hummed, sure to speak slowly, continuing on, “When the trees inhabitants go silent... well, that will forewarn you trouble is near when nothing else yet has,” she advised. “It is important we heed all of hour surroundings,” and here she sought some semblance of understanding before she looked to Ying as she approached, prepared to pass through if she wished to continue to educate her daughter independent of company... or content to linger, too. These things were important to know, and as a warden herself the matriarch was content to educate.

the staff team luvs u
09-01-2021, 01:15 PM
frustrated, yingyue prepared herself to scold her daughter for such careless inattention. if nothing else, she needed to know how border control worked, as it could mean saving the lives of any number of wolves living within their territory. one day, qiuyue would become a mother; yingyue worried that her air-headed nature and carelessness might cost the nymphet the life of her young. and who would really be to blame, then?

”i worry for you, qiuyue”, she said, “why won’t you hear what i am teaching you? i do this because i have lived the consequences, and-“ in her moment dull anger, ying herself had become distracted, hardly noticing hydra until she began to speak. embarrassment became the commander; similar to qiuyue, ying assumed a stance of submission, though not nearly to the degree of her child.

she remained silent while hydra gave her own input. while context was mostly lost, qiuyue seemed to understand the general message: tree sounds, silence danger. like ying had told her many times before, it was important to be aware of one’s surroundings, as the spirits of the land often forewarned of danger before any person would know that it had arrived.

silence came over their group, if only by cause of the jiang women, before ying finally fixed herself to respond. “wise words. join us?”
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
09-08-2021, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 02:32 PM by Hydra. Edited 1 time in total.)
Hydra could hear the edge in the mothers voice, but had no understanding of the words; though she caught Ying by surprise, Hydra made no show of such. They both showed their submission, and the matriarch merely nodded so as to let them know they could be at ease then. Ying soon enough responded, and the matriarch nodded as she moved to settle alongside the duo. “Have you been at your patrol long?” She wondered, to both the mother and the daughter duo. 

The patrol, and the lesson. Hydra wondered what part may have stuck with Ying's young daughter, but if the day had only just begun for them then perhaps nothing yet resonated. All the same, maybe something had... and Hydra wondered where Qiuyue might excel. She had already determined to find out. Hydra was glad to join them, her presence more of a watchful one as her gaze roved over the near-distant horizon, seeing no threats beyond; she could not mark with her urine, then, lest she reveal her state to others with more nefarious intentions.

the staff team luvs u
09-27-2021, 10:00 PM
qiuyue's immense gratitude for hydra would remain unspoken, if only to keep from stirring more conflict with her mother. it seemed like divine intervention that their leader should appear in that moment; rather than question it, she happily went along with this change of company, falling to the opposite side of hydra from where ying stood, so that she might act as a barrier between them.

yingyue explained that no, they hadn't been patrolling for long, and that she didn't know how much longer they might continue. a look was cast onto the nymphet, who smiled and nodded her head, adding: "mm.. too busy minds." we've been distracted, she was trying to say, but was proud of herself nonetheless for having come up with this response.

we can wrap or continue? up to you!

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
10-14-2021, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2021, 04:45 PM by Hydra. Edited 1 time in total.)
wrap up sounds perf!

Hydra nodded, listening and understanding both. It was clear that the others daughter was somewhat distracted, though she hoped she had truly taken note of all that her mother (and herself) had said. Short patrols were no less productive, and Hydra too could not linger for very long; she had more work to do in preparation for the day soon to come, when she whelped. Still, this distraction was nice. Even if Hydra was not fully capable of guarding as she would like, patrolling had always been a way to ease her mind. The matriarch was not one to be idle, even now. Her eyes sought any foreign shapes beyond the figures of her companions that meant a threat was near. Still, nothing.

Her mind was too busy, too—and this served as the perfect distraction and thing to still it, some. “Do not let me keep you,” she drawled, eyes bright as she looked to the pair, “my sister is near, and I have her company. I shall not be at this for much longer,” she hummed. Hydra wanted to be sure all was in order before ultimately, she did retire to the upper reaches. There would be tasks to delegate, and Hydra requested with that in mind, “when you are free, find me,” with a sway of her tail. As of yet, there was no real rush as to when. Hydra could sense she still had some time left before she whelped, a mothers instinct. Once they departed, Hydra continued onward.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top