Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Can I hold on?

Evening Overcast
P
Nightwalkers
08-03-2021, 09:56 PM
For @Vengeance cus you are my dad! You're my dad, boogiewoogiewoogie

The stormcloak dragged the body of an adolescent moose over the borders of the reach with tired huffs and puffs. There was a scrape over his shoulder out of which fresh crimson spilled, as well as a cut on his left front leg. The meal of the day had put up a fight, which had made it all the more satisfying to finally watch the life fade from its large prey eyes. His injuries were minor, given the boy had been in way over his head. He'd gotten lucky, sure, but one couldn't deny his hunting skills should they have seen him in action that day. With loads of free time and an itch to roam, Almight had been perfecting his hunting each day. Sometimes he came back empty handed, sometimes with a meal large enough for a feast.

He plopped down the end of the body he was dragging when he came to the river, washing his wounds with moist tongue and a dip in the water. It barely stung at this point, he was getting used to pain. The only pain he could barely handle was the one on the inside, a pain no cleaning could ever fix.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
08-04-2021, 01:40 AM
^^
The smell of blood permeated the woods drawing the Boss man of the reach toward it. A few rats scurried away from his paws as they vanished in the mist and darkness that surrounded them. They too smelled a meal and followed the beastly man toward the end goal of what smelled like a feast. His chin wet with a sudden hunger brought by the scent of freshly dead prey, licked away from his lips by the pink muscle that slipped into view and away again just as quick.

To the river they went as the scent drew them in, little feet following the Goliath but not near enough to get in his way. As they approached his eyes fell on the Stormborn boy who bathed his wounds in the water, and the brute slowed to s stop to watch him for a moment. Remaining silent until he was seen. “I see you have brought us a meal.” He drawled, already claiming it for the pack - naturally so, they were a family after all and what was one's belonged to the rest.

Unless he wished to fight for its claim.

Meanwhile the rodents already began nibbling at the hooves of the beast, leaving the more nutritious parts for the wolves as per agreement between them and the titan.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
08-04-2021, 01:58 AM
A wet paw was dragged along his thick mane in an attempt to cool off, much like how a cat would go about cleaning themselves. Even the water smelled of death around these parts. He wondered if fish would even swim in it - not that he was a great fisher, but still, some variety in diet might do his ability to sleep some good. By now the dark circles under the man's eyes seemed a permanent feature, yet his gaze was spirited, bright sometimes. A flicker of fury, of lust, the red glint of a cursed Rache.

Speak of the devil; footfalls neared, the stormcloak's ears ever so sensitive to the silence of the Reach. He turned to see the patron saint of prostitutes himself, making his way about the territory with his... minions? literal rats were now higher in the hierarchy than him, a figurative Rat, that was great.

“Of course.” He rumbled. “The caches are so lonely without me.” He commented with a smile, continuing then his quest to cleanse his wounds again, giving a disgusted look at the rats that nibbled at his hard-earned moose.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
08-04-2021, 02:08 AM
^^
Gnawing yellow teeth did away with the carcass until their small bellies would fill, stripping skin and fat, tendons and muscles from the hooves of the beast which seemed good enough for their avarice before they too would either back away or linger around the fallen ungulate out of curiosity. Sniffing with their filthy muzzles, watching the meeting between father and son at a safe distance by perching themselves on the antlers. All that could be seen were their shadows clinging to the beast with putrid nude tails hanging, beady lifeless eyes catching the dim light of the woods as they stared.

“We have many mouths to feed, and more to come.” With Morag getting fatter by the day, soon enough she too would give him new life. Breath new life into their ranks with gremlins of their own. “Your work is appreciated.” And taken advantage of, especially by the man of foul legends himself as already he was hungry to rip the young moose apart to fill his gut. “How do you find your stay as a Nightwalker?” Even if it was against his will in the end, was the boy already warming up to the idea of being a part of something bigger than the lonesome life of a loner?
^^
the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
08-04-2021, 02:41 AM
One nostril was pulled up as he watched the small scavengers eat themselves round, fighting the urge to not just... toss one about and see what would happen. Would they all gang up on him? Cover his body in teensy little bitemarks? Give him some kind of filthy disease? Well, he wasn't going to find out, at least not today, as he'd leave the creatures alone. At least the pitter-patter of their feet was something to break the silence within the Reach.

For a moment, a look of surprise washed over his features, clickly blinked away. Appreciated? Him? That was something new. It was perhaps the closest he'd gotten to a compliment from another Nightwalker, and to top it off it came from their Warlord and his father.

“As pleasant as it gets for a Rat.” He answered with a shrug. “I've met a few members of our allied pack though. Despite the bearbuck we chased not too long ago, they seem sociable, strong - Their leader too. No bad pick for an ally.” He told, now biting at the dried up blood on his limb.

“Are we interested in more allies than the Bearbucks?” He questioned aloud carefully, having been wanting to knock on some figurative doors, see who else made this realm their home. He could still do that as a curious visitor, but he longed for a grander purpose. Perhaps he'd find the girl he'd slept with in the mountains she wished to call home, though he doubted Vengeance would approve. She was small, friendly, trusting - true it was that the Nightwalkers could trample whatever little village she could create.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
08-05-2021, 10:20 PM
^^
There was some kind of craft going on. Most of those who were within the Nightwalkers were here against their freewill. Mostly at least. Given a choice for their trespassing, or used for experimentation like @Reed. They could have just killed the ones who trespassed instead of welcoming them within their ranks, so maybe with some kindness he could bring them on his side and show that they were all in all... the better choice than to move on to the next pitiful gang beyond the Reach.

There was plenty of food of many kinds. Both prey and predator alike, food was food after all. Shelter and members to call family, who would come to their aid if necessary should it be called for. What more could a wolf ask for? As their numbers swelled he would seek out more land to feed their hungry bellies, more land would mean more power over the temperate and it would simply spread from there. The Reach was only the seed being planted for the oak would come later and let its twisted branches spread out in the nearby lands.

“I assisted in her claim of those woods, we aided one another before we were both ready to set out on our own.” Not many knew of the origins of their alliance. The basic beginnings before they both had their own packs to rule over. Soon they would work together on something bigger. “I cannot say I agree with their traditions —” especially when it came to not hunting one of the more lucrative prey such as Elk. “But we work well.”

“We have another ally in the mountains, one I made before this time in Adelhelm. Her name is Hydra, her husband is Dirge, and their pack is Empyrean. They are powerful, and it is best we remain both on on good terms.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-05-2021, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2021, 11:09 PM by Almight. Edited 1 time in total.)
The more time Almight spent within the Reach and with his fellow Nightwalkers, the more he wanted to prove himself. He wished to make true the promise he'd made to Vengeance, even given the less than ideal circumstances it was made in. He would be the best fucking Nightwalker the Temperate and his dad had ever met. Some twisted part of him wanted approval from those he saw below him, like the firecoat who'd spat on his very existence simply because of the title he bore right now. He'd beat that egotistical fucker one way or another, was the promise he added.

He hummed an interested whimper at the information being given so freely to him. Still, he wished to know more. Upon meeting the queen, he'd noticed her belly grew round with pups. “Neither you nor the Queen has spoken of a King in Elkshire - thus, am I right in assuming the children she carries are yours?” Given the freshness of the realm and the time needed to bake a new generation, it only made sense. They'd strengthen their alliance like so, given Vengeance didn't seem the type to take one female to marry. He bit the inside of his mouth, the thought making him slightly agitated, but he hid it well, very well.

“Really?” He said with an attentive flick of an ear. “I shall have to introduce myself - but to know of our current alliances was not why I asked. You see, while at Elkshire, the queen spoke of another pack within the Temperate. She described them as soft, convinced they were no threat.” Almight smiled then. “But to see for yourself is to know for sure, that's why - with your permission - I'd like to search for them. See what they are all about.”

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
08-09-2021, 01:36 AM
^^
Had he known about what Almight was thinking, he would have been amused to know the desire that grew within him. The greed that made him a true Rache and certainly solidify him as truly, Vengeance's son. For now he was none the wiser, watching what he could see as the boy already began to take interest in their inter-pack relations, yearning to know more and willingly sharing what he had learned during his time away.

“I was a part of their creation - yes.” Were they his? Well... they were as much his as Almight was as far as he was concerned. Should they be weak and sickly the Warlord would want nothing to do with them, they would be Célnes' problem to deal with. To raise as he would watch from a distance, spitting on their existence for tainting his name and genetics. 

The talk of another pack in the Temperate did pique his interest. Was it the same that was mentioned earlier? “I know of a pack in the Temperate as well, closer to her beyond the mountains as she described it. Perhaps these are the same. I do wish to know more of them.” They were beyond the mountains, closer to Célnes' territory. They haven't bothered him yet but if she wished to claim some of the Temperate as well, maybe this would be the test to see if Elkshire had the same desires as they did... or if they would remain in their little corner and watch as the Nightwalkers took as much as their greedy paws and claws could.
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-09-2021, 01:58 AM
Part of their creation - well, that was one way of putting it, he supposed. He was glad to have figured it out though, as now he knew whatever came out of the elk queen would be family in a way. After being on his own for so long, even with his brother sometimes, he craved for them to be known. Vengeance had already made a name for himself alone, perhaps it was Almight's job to make sure the Raches that followed were just as infamous.

He smiled knowingly then, for the queen had described the very same spot to him. “I'm quite certain we speak of the same pack.” He announced. “It is decided then - say we were to claim the Temperate, it's nice to know how our neighbors stand on the matter. You'll hear of me soon enough.” He promised then. He couldn't wait to get out of the Reach either way, be it for something akin to a mission or to stretch his paws.

“Say, father - what if I requested to become your messenger? It would allow you more time to conquer the area, while I travel, strike up deals, do your bidding?” Though the suggestion had sounded unsure in his head, it came out confidently. Perhaps, much with the moose today, he was in over his head - or perhaps Vengeance wished for no messenger at all. Still, he wished for a purpose beyond dragging food over the border and being everyone's verbal punching bag.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
08-09-2021, 10:15 PM
^^
Whatever Almight had in mind - he was going in the right direction with all these suggestions of his. Who did the boy talk to in order to butter up the beast with the right choice of words and suggestions in order to gain his favour? Whatever was going on, it was impressive. “I look forward to hearing what you learn.” That way they can move forward with plans and speak with Célnes on the matter as well. Where their reigns would end and what was to be done here in the temperate region. 

“I could use a messenger. If that is what you want, I will grant you that power. Make sure you run by me whatever you wish to say with an ally, we must be carful what we share even with our closest of allies. The Nightwalkers come first after all.” It didn't matter how close he and Hydra were, how much respect he had for her and the power she held within her mountain. Should things turn sour for whatever reason, it was always wise to have an Ace up your sleeves.

Knowledge was power, and secrecy was the best way to keep said power for themselves to use. Perhaps Almight will learn that too in time as their messenger.
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-10-2021, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2021, 11:08 PM by Almight. Edited 1 time in total.)
Almight had learned to suck up a little to get what he wanted. Because he wasn't an arrogant dick, he could often have much more peaceful conversations with others - excepting of course the firecoat Aries. True, he had his own ego, but he'd learned it was much wiser to keep his mouth shut whenever upset than to spout insults or act out. It would never get him the results he wanted.

“Of course - we might have to trample even those we respect to get what we want. Better to keep the actual secrets, secrets.” He rumbled with a slight smile, his muscles finally relaxing now that he'd secured his future occupation. This new messenger job would get him a get-out-of-jail-free card each time he wanted some time away from the awful Reach, and even an excuse for chatting up strangers.

“Isn't it good to have someone who can play nice with others in your ranks?” He jested with a little smirk. No, Almight was no saint, but he was no monster either, and he was fairly good at playing the good guy. He doubted Aries - or any other Nightwalker for that matter, save for Vengeance himself - would've gotten in and out of Elkshire "territory" without upsetting someone or getting his ass whooped as many times as he had.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
08-15-2021, 05:13 PM
^^
At least Almight understood the need to keep some things to themselves. Just because they were allies with a certain group, it didn't mean that trust was absolute. Secrets were important for one's own survival, to keep a trump card under their sleeve so to say and maneuver their way around issues even if it meant lying. The Nightwalkers and their well being would always come first after all.

“It does have its perks.” If everyone had the same way of dealing with others were only by teeth and bitter words, things would certainly crumble. So even Vengeance had to agree that having someone on their side and more... passive to a certain extent would to them well. Would it be too much to mention how glad he was to have forced the boy into their group? Now that he was commenting on it being good for them for him to be around...

Speaking of secrets, this would be one he would keep for himself. “Might want to wash off our scent before you leave, that way others are not alarmed by your scent.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-17-2021, 05:40 PM
Feel free to archive!

Yes, he'd make sure to make himself useful to them. Only by doing as many odd jobs as he could and exceeding in them would he get the respect he deserved around these parts. He was young, that much was true, but he was as much a Nightwalker as any of them and wanted to be treated as more than a yearling, even if he was almost two. Most of all, he wanted to rub it in Aries' face when he would undoubtedly pass him someday. Revenge felt good sometimes.

“Unlike you, I do take baths regularly.” He reassured with a soft rumble of a chuckle, getting himself on all fours and padding a bit away.“Do feel free to share that with the others - or take it for yourself, I don't much care.” He commented with a slight nod to the body he'd dragged in. His belly was full of aspiration already, and he thought he'd deserved a nap in the field to prepare for the journey ahead. Perhaps he'd heed his father's advice and take a dip in the river before he went, but honestly, he doubted anyone would even dare cross a big guy like him smelling of death and despair. It added to the image, dontyathink?

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
scroll to top