Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
to hunt with the tameless heart

Afternoon Sunny/Clear 60° F
AW
Empyrean
Vanderfell Woods
08-02-2021, 04:15 PM
backdated a few days and then some following this & this thread
hydra should post next and then have at it~

Together, he and @Hydra had made the journey northward towards Vanderfell Woods. Though they were swift in their travels, there were leisure elements to it as well—the sights were hard to pass up as they made their way along mountain ridges and deep valleys, following creekbeds and quaint, narrow rivers with their swift currents. They crossed through and over squat plateaus with weather for the most part had been kind, the rain easing up to give way to sunshine, and the heat not too terrible.

It was not long afterward that the mountainous terrain began once again and in their ascent, he couldn’t help but take notice that the area seemed none too different than that of where they had come from. Though this far north, he could feel the chilly bite of wind at times where gusts peaked, and on those very winds he soon picked up the noticeable hints that they were drawing near. With towering trees to creak with the gale, his steps began a natural decline towards a halt as he gave his wife a sidelong glance.

“Seems like the right place,” he said, testing the air. “Anything seem familiar to you, at least enough to start the honors?” He wondered who might have been lingering nearby, curious to see if @Hieronymous was still out traveling, and just as curious to see if meeting @Ira would jog his own memory to the allyship that the two packs had held once before.
the staff team luvs u
08-02-2021, 07:18 PM
Their journey was productive in learning all the more of their surroundings. Thus far Hydra had not gone so far, and felt it good to stretch her legs before a time she would ultimately need to sequester herself away. It was to be a quick trip, and they were fleetfooted even as they took care to explore what all was around them and their claim. Hydra now and then would pause to call for those lost to her (@Antares and the rest of her wayward brood), and when no return call came was prepared to move on to try again where next they paused to explore. 

Familiar scents, now, that Dirge too had noted. A chilly wind ruffled the furs along her nape, and Hydra looked to her husband. Handsome, as ever, if a little travel-worn... which only seemed to amplify such, truly. Moving to fix a fur that was out of place should he permit it, she listened while he spoke and hmm'd quietly, withdrawing. Satisfied in his own presentation (not that she ever was not, truth be told) the matriarch's gaze turned to the land Ira claimed. “I have not been here before, so none of it is familiar... though her scent is,” she drawled. She suspected he recalled the scent of the man he had met, too. 

A comfortable distance away where they would not present as a threat, the matriarch looked to Dirge with a sway of her tail. “Together,” she determined, calling then for @Ira (though only when she could hear the beginnings of her mates own call) in a polite request for her presence.

the staff team luvs u
08-03-2021, 03:24 PM
^^
Luckily Hieronymous was around to hear the call summoning Ira and... himself (Hieronymous so confused) to the borders. Doing nothing super important than just some self grooming, gonna look all dapper to greet who he thought was Dirge from the sound of it, the painted knight quickly shook himself off and began his quick journey to where the call originated from. Dirge was not alone however from the sound of it, he assumed the other voice was that of his wife Hydra and he was almost a little excited to meet and greet this mythical being he had yet to lay his eyes on (both in this life and the last).

He wondered briefly if Ira would be there first, and was pretty surprised to just see the two standing there. One was certainly Dirge, and the other, a dark cloaked woman who had a similarly intimidating air about her as Dirge did on their first meeting. He wondered if she too would melt a little in time. “Good evening Dirge, and I assume this must be your wife Hydra, is it not?” Dear lords above please let this be Hydra otherwise this will be one awkward meeting.

“I wasn't expecting a visit this soon, to what do I owe the pleasure?” And he was visibly excited.
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Paladin
08-03-2021, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 02:53 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
The High Queen would arrive after Hieronymous, a surprise to likely every party involved. She had been near across the territory when the calls rang out, bouncing across the rocky peaks. It was always a surprise when one came with a request, few ended up at their borders, and the ones that did tend to come unknowingly. It had been some time since the roan woman saw Hydra, though they had promised long ago to meet again.

Only she thought it would be on her own terms.

Depositing the limp hare she had caught amongst a cache, Ira made her way to the borders, though she couldn't help but wonder why Hieronymous had been called as well. The painted knight caught her eyes first, attentive as ever to the needs of the pack even though he too had been summoned. It felt that no matter what their paths would cross nowadays but perhaps that was to his planning.

Gold eyes found the blues of the mountain queen. So it had been said before, she made herself into her own queen and this mountain her home. Hydra, and company? Her gaze drifted to the man at her side. though she was unfamiliar with him she happened a guess that this might be her king. Their scents intermingled greatly though days on the road may also contribute to that. and company. I don't suppose I know you as well? She knew that Hydra recalled her from their time before these lands but her memory forever drew blanks.

To what do we owe the pleasure?

the staff team luvs u
08-06-2021, 09:26 AM
Together, their cadence rose above the ambience to summon both familiar and unfamiliar—their natural inclination to call those they knew did not come without the caveat that others could have potentially met them first in this tucked away corner of the world. He anticipated such as their song had ebbed and faded away, stolen by the gales, but was surprised when the first wolf he saw approaching was none other than the one he had met days before in the valleys beyond.

“Hieronymous,” he greeted, “you would be correct in that guess—this is my wife, Hydra. I thought we would make good on the invitation that you offered to me not long ago to visit. We wanted to meet—” he cut off, catching the scant movement of another figure approaching, this time one of a much more darker complexion and a certain air of influence that suggested she was of a higher echelon.

She took focus of Hydra and that narrowed things down considerably.

This must have been Ira.

“We may have met at some point,” he said, offering her a demure smile, “though I suspect through word rather than sight. You must be Ira; I’m Dirge.” He couldn’t recall even upon seeing her if they had met, though the slate and shale color of her coat did remind him of others. Moonspear had once had a mental rolodex of wolves he only knew by name and nothing more and thus far, the same could have been said of Empyrean in one fashion or form or another.

With a brief look to Hydra, he decided to seize the opportunity to explain why they had come out there in the first place, so far removed from their own home and seemingly on a whim: “The pleasure is certainly mutual however, as I know once we had an allyship between our packs and thought to keep that good tiding in place by checking in on you and your kin. I met your fellow here a few days ago and he extended an offer to come and visit, so we decided to take up the offer and stretch our legs.”

It was the abbreviated version of events, of course, but he knew if there was more to add then Hydra would be keen to follow up with anything worthy to share. She was the one who knew Ira, after all, and Dirge was curious to see what he could make of Vanderfell’s reigning queen.
the staff team luvs u
08-27-2021, 02:50 PM
First came a man, who was wholly unique in his appearance. In greeting, Hydra lowered her head a measure; Sovereign Queen or not, this was not her castle.

Looking at him, Hydra could, with confidence, say she had never met a wolf who looked like the other standing before her; he was a conglomerate of brown shades tossed upon a canvas, different than her tawny mate (and their children). There was no real pattern to it, and yet somehow it blended seamlessly enough—though it caught the eye, too, to start. As they two spoke, Hydra noted the places the flow of his fur was interrupted due to what lie far enough below to not be blatantly obvious to others. Hydra's discerning eye caught it, as it was something she had sought—potential weak points, which a scar was not always evidence of... it certainly depended on the location. Still, he had fought in his lifetime; she wondered if his then-enemy had been worse off for their interaction... 

But the pleasant way in which he spoke, well, one would not think him the fighting sort. 

His eyes were lovely, too, though not without their own interruption; Hydra noted none of the turmoil within, not so perceptive as to know the inner woes of others beyond the more obvious indications that alerted her that something more was to transpire. Sometimes those were subtle, too—but she could only read, then, his cheerful disposition, before Ira came along. Dirge had already confirmed the mans suspicions as to who she was, and so Hydra remained quiet as Ira arrived, lowering her head a bit more in acknowledgment of her presence and Ira's place here. 

Dirge spoke again, and despite Hydra's desire to correct him (you have seen her before, she thought) she knew it would mean little here. Neither of them remembered the other then, so at present it would make no difference. 

“That,” she drawled, “and for the fact that soon, I will be unable to go very far beyond the whelping den,” a hint of pride, there, to become a mother once more... even in this place, “has caused us to come and see you sooner rather than later. Your borders are strong; you have accomplished what you have sought to do,” she commended, though Hydra had never doubted that Ira would.

the staff team luvs u
08-29-2021, 06:11 PM
^^
Naturally he focussed on Dirge as he was the one who spoke - but at the corner of his eye he would tell that the confirmed Hydra was eyeballing him. What she saw he was curious to know. Perhaps it was just the odd patterns of his pelt but something told him there was something more behind her scrutinizing gaze. It made him stand just a little more proud, strong - friendly none the less but not some kind of pushover either. He may not be a leader here yet, but he would certainly not come off as some meek follower either after being called for this not-too-random meeting between packs.  

“What a pleasant surprise, glad to finally meet you Hydra.” She was talked about at least twice after all, good to put a face to the name and she was surely fitting of such a title as well. It was intimidating, a beast with many heads as legends tell. Though his skin would not crawl and demand a defensive stance, he would be sure to remain on both hers and Dirge's good side. With a dip of his head as well, he acknowledged their ranks above him in this pack and within theirs.  

Ira was quick to follow to and answer the call. His eyes shot over his shoulder for a moment to greet the High Queen with enthusiasm as per usual, letting her take the stage to speak to the two leaders who came for a visit. Dirge told the story of their meeting, and Hiero glanced over to Ira to gauge and see how she would react to this. He was confident he had done well, but then again, he was no mind reader. 

“My congratulations to you both for expanding your family.” He wouldn't speak up too much unless necessary.
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Paladin
09-13-2021, 02:32 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 02:54 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Dirge, the pleasure is mine. To think she now met the king as well, it was a wonder that they both had come to visit, but the tale would unravel with time. It was Hieronymous who had invited them, and so soon at that. Did he now? She glanced briefly to the knight at her side, though she couldn't say she was disappointed. Her previous conversation with Hydra had ended well and it was only a matter of time until she came to see how they had settled.

Much to her own relief, they would come after their numbers had grown where she would not need to address the stagnant flow of new faces they once faced. The golds of her eyes fell back to the darkened woman who only seemed to lower her head further at her arrival. Please, you may rise. We stand as equals. Even here on her own land she would grace her that much. It was true, she recalled little of their past together, but she trusted her word.

The picture Hydra had painted once before did sound like her even if she was sure she never ruled over her own grounds. But friends, ones she truly held close were rare and if something was there she sought to find it for herself. How though would she do that if they never were to see eye to eye?

Plus they had come to speak of past relations. It intrigued the high queen given that they had no true allies yet, but she knew their pack to be strong. I thank you, though I hope this may only be a start. She had no plans to extend her claim, not yet, but she wished for their numbers to grow so that they might truly become a full community. And congratulations are in order for you as well. I can only hope that I will have my own one day. Ira glanced back once more to Dirge, a question biting at her tongue.

You wish to reestablish what we once had? Tell me, what that might entail in your eyes?

the staff team luvs u
11-12-2021, 06:23 AM
Ira was cordial but also swift in the way she addressed things—traits that Dirge found he preferred than meandering. When it came to the matters of business and politics, or at least in the ways that they did them, he wanted to get to the point. Get it done and over with, even if all it was happened to be nothing more than testing the waters. He fought the urge to look to Hydra as though it would defer his taking point with the matter and instead offered up the wisp of a smile, demure as it were. He knew that his wife would interject as she saw fit.

"A collaboration of sorts," he opened with gently, "but at its core, an alliance between our packs. I realize we aren't exactly close neighbors but that does have its own benefits along the lines of mutual aid—should either of us need it—and exchanging information when necessary. A line of trust from friendship—it's what we had before." Breadcrumbing along, his own way of testing the waters enough to see if she would probe the topic further or begin to shut the proposal down.
the staff team luvs u
12-08-2021, 05:08 PM
Ira's comment was one that surprised the matriarch, though such did not show. Here at least, they were certainly not equals; this was the northern womans domain, and Hydra would not presume to command those within it while here. Even though someday she sought to rule the whole of one region, she would respect the sanctity of an individuals own territory and those that led it. Hydra listened on, though did rise as asked. Her respect for Ira remained clear in that no challenge was provided, nor did she lift her head tall with pride here. A proud woman Hydra was, but to be arrogant and wear it here was something Hydra thought quite tactless, and she was too well bred for such behavior on lands not her own.

Her head dipped in thanks to the congratulations, but the Empyrean ruler remained quiet otherwise, content to listen. Her state had caused her to feel some lethargy after the journey, and though she appeared both together and composed Hydra still needed to gather her bearings. She was well trained enough where, when focused on her breathing, such was not a difficult task.

As Ira spoke on, Hydra's gaze did not stray to the man alongside her. She would not presume anything of their relationship, and would not be so uncouth as to ask before the man if this was who she hoped her future would be with. Only, “I am sure that you will, and that they will be come to be as mighty as their mother when you do,” she hummed, making no mention of the father only due to the fact that there was none to name or think of then. All imaginings. But Ira was a strong woman, and would be a fit mother given her nature as a protector. She was not soft and weak, no waifish sweet thing that would weep to kill another when necessary. That would keep those children to come alive. And for them to see and know it would make them mighty.

Dirge spoke to what Ira asked, and Hydra tacked on, “once, when there was a plague among our wilds seeking to harm those that were defenseless, you were prepared to fight with me. Should such a thing transpire again, I would hope to call upon you again,” in her low drawl. The same could be asked of Hydra, and Hydra certainly would so long as she were able. Extenuating circumstances aside, such as perhaps Ira being full with children or whelping (which the mother could understand), Hydra hoped she could count upon Ira as a sister at arms once again. And while more than that Hydra hoped there would never be the need, she knew that was the dream of a pretender.

The way of the world was cruel, and monsters were real. She wore their face, she had their eyes. Their very blood drummed a wardrum beat within her. That it still did so was all that she needed to remember as much was true. But Hydra knew who she was, and had long since accepted her brutal nature. Ira had known it, too, and would come to learn it again if she had forgotten that, too; for her family, Hydra would be whatever monster the world that thought to threaten needed to be beaten and bloodied by.

Hydra saw no such beast before her eyes, as her astute gaze surveyed Ira as she awaited her response. What she saw, though, was something that she liked. Cold, calculating logic; good sense. She had that, too; any decent warrior would. And so Ira would understand to some degree that the fangs of Empyrean's Queen were a necessary evil in this world.

It took a monster to kill a monster. The stories that said otherwise, Hydra knew, were filled with lies—and Hydra did not abide by such things. Hydra imagined that even if Ira did not recall all that Hydra was, she too would know the truth of that.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
12-23-2021, 03:56 AM
maybe wrap up here since its old?

Ira could only stand in silence as an answer was brought forth. Alliances, yes, well she could not say she wished to deny their request. Both alphas were suitable in her eyes though they spoke of a past she would not recount nor could she say with confidence ever happened. Whatever trust they had, whatever bond, may as well be fantasy. This wasn't the first time someone spoke of a pack before Vanderfell, but she had never settled aside from her birthplace...something curious indeed.

Did they perchance mistake her wandering band as a pack? Had they lingered too long in a land once that few believed they to be a pack unto a claim? Well, no matter, it did not change her answer now. I would agree to such terms between friends... but being friendly was not the same as a true alliance. The only question was, were they willing to place their brood on the line for such an arrangement? But what you suggest goes beyond just friendship. I can not speak of your past, the one believed to be shared between us, but there are certain customs where I come from that may make you think twice before using the term alliance.

The golds of her eyes remained still and unwavering as she looked to both visitors, curious just how far they were willing to go in terms of unifying their packs. I have seen the blood of war. Scars mark my body just as they do yours. It took no keen eye to know both saw their fair share of fights, perhaps Hydra more than Dirge. What must be done does not scare me. What you ask of though, is more than just a peace treaty on hard times. It is a motion to bring our packs closer and press away the seems that divide us. If you wish for an alliance I will require blood. The union of our brood to be specific. Only then will our natures be painted true and intentions well met. I think you would agree neither would hold reason to betray with our children at stake.

She dared a look of challenge, almost insisting that they deny. It would only show her now how true to their word they were...how much they valued what was at stake. Not every pack would agree with what she had said, but those that did not she had little interest in hearing out further even if their interests did align. If you wish to think on it I will not take offense to your delay. I only ask that you do not leave me waiting forver.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top