Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
We Drive Until the Gas is Gone

AW
Discovery
02-27-2021, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 11:30 PM by zina. Edited 2 times in total.)
The skies were clear, and the temperature had fallen somewhere just at the point where the snow that had collected on the thick branches of conifer trees had begun to melt, creating a soft, pattering noise as ambience as Bronco made his way around the base of the still nameless mountain, with the intention of reinforcing the borders that he and Hydra had begun to establish. Patrolling came naturally to him- he took interest in noting and categorizing the variety of tracks and scents he found along the way, so that he might get a better idea of their resources and potential threats. 

But he had few concerns, as of yet. He could smell that there were others that had also been marking the border territories, and that they might be able to establish themselves as a pack- once they'd found a name. The terrain was difficult to traverse, but he did so having had training, and having spent time on a mountain before. His body remembered- which was why it felt so natural to be laying claim to a mountain territory once again.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
03-03-2021, 08:31 PM
From the flatlands to the mountains, the terrain was already feeling more home-like to the oddly patterned man. The sounds were music to his ears, from the soft wet pitter-patter of the snow falling off of trees to the distant birds as they sang their song. Even he could smell the freshness in the air and it was intoxicating. What he couldn't smell, was the wolves who were trying to lay claim to this particular mountain.

Oblivious to the possible lion's den that he was wandering into, Hieronymous happily investigated this new land. Familiarizing himself with everything he could come across since... well, there was really nothing else for him to do right now until something familiar did catch his attention. For now, he was happy with just wandering and getting to know faces and places.

“Greetings good sir!” He approached with a smile on his face to the man who was, well, to him, doing the exact same thing he was. Just wandering around. “Are you by chance a native to these lands?” He had to ask, he had to find someone who was familiar with this place.

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Discovery
03-04-2021, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 11:32 PM by zina. Edited 2 times in total.)
He could tell by the variety of scents he found that there were more wolves Hydra had assembled, that he had yet to meet. One male in particular seemed to be making his way around the mountain, but he did not know the scent. A female as well, new to him- but given how they crossed Hydra's own tracks here and there, he assumed that they were welcome. He'd have to track them down eventually and meet them- but until then, he'd focus his efforts on claiming the borders. 

So when a voice called out to him, he lifted his head and inhaled- expecting for the owner of that voice to have been the male whose scent he'd noticed. Instead, though, the scent he caught was different- not one that he'd noticed earlier at all. This was a scent that was completely new to him, and he felt unsure for a moment if this was perhaps a new recruit, or someone who didn't belong to Hydra's gathering of wolves at all. The friendliness of his salutation caught Bronco by surprise; and he was led to conclude that his confidence might've stemmed from being a new recruit, rather than a stranger. His question, though, made Bronco balk. Maybe he wasn't a new recruit? 

"Uh," He fumbled, "I wasn't born here, no," He said, "But I live here now, with the pack." A fledgeling, unofficial pack- but he was still content to call it as he saw it. "Are you new?" He asked. He looked pretty comfortable for a stranger, but then again- maybe he was just a friendly guy. Bronco didn't mind that- friendly interactions were much easier to handle than aggressive ones!

0 Discovery Points - he's not really discovering here, just explaining himself

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-04-2021, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 11:33 PM by zina. Edited 1 time in total.)
If you click the box it should pop up? it did for me at least! don't type in the tag box just click it maybe?

The rocky terrain didn't do much to slow him down, if he was tired, there were no signs of it. Rather, Hieronymous was as chipper as ever. Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed while approaching the scarred stranger with a desire to learn more about these lands and their locals. This mountain, in particular, he wasn't all too interested in investigating too deeply. Only the sight of the stranger did drag him closer, but other than that, he would be on his merry way. Away from the daunting landscape and high-rise cliffs in order to save his own skin to wake up another day.

Unfortunately, this was no local like he was hoping. So far everyone else seemed to be in the same boat, all figuring out their new lives in a strange land that they woke up in, all hustling to settle themselves into groups to solidify their own survival - which was completely understandable. “I see.” His smile faded only slightly, visibly deflated by the news. “Oh yes, indeed very new, I only woke up about a week ago in the grasslands.” Immediately that is what he assumed by "new" as opposed to "new to the pack" that this guy was speaking of.

“Hmm..” Pondering the news and putting the puzzle pieces together in his mind, Hiero drew a paw under his chin in a pensive gesture. Briefly thinking over what he would say next. “Do you know how long your pack has been around for? Would your leader be more knowledgeable about this place?” Another bold shot in the dark but he tried it regardless. In all honesty, Hieronymous was willing to try almost anything and talk to as many individuals as possible should they give him anything new, anything at all to understand where he was and why he remembered very little up until the day he woke up near the lake.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Discovery
03-04-2021, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 11:34 PM by zina. Edited 1 time in total.)
Narp! Just had to clear me cache :)

He began to become a bit more concerned when he was assured that the man was new- but in referencing the grasslands, he did leave some room for speculation. Still- his unerring confidence was enough to convince Bronco that perhaps someone else had met him before, and that he'd been accepted into the group. He seemed as though he might belong in the area anyway; he looked like he was built to handle life on a mountain, and his distinct coat pattern might make it easier for him to sneak up on prey. With a portion of his face masked in one colour, and the rest being much darker, it served to help break up his outline- potentially making it harder for prey to spot him and recognize him immediately as a threat. 

The fact that he admitted he just woke up triggered something in Bronco. Occasionally, he forgot that some things simply didn't make sense. The majority of the time, he simply felt comfortable enough in his surroundings that he didn't question his reality. But every now and again, a memory was triggered that made him feel a bit odd, and perhaps a bit uncomfortable. It rattled him enough so that when the male asked him about the pack, he didn't notice at first that his phrasing hinted that he wasn't a member of their group at all. He felt a bit flustered, being asked details about his pack- and when Hieronymous suggested that he might be better off talking to a leader, he balked. 

"You haven't met Hydra yet?" He asked. It wouldn't answer the male's question- but part of him felt it was more important to know exactly how this guy fit in, first, if he fit in with them at all.

0 Discovery Points - also a recruitment-oriented post

the staff team luvs u
03-05-2021, 02:15 AM
It had flown right above his head that there might be some kind of miscommunication of sorts. The guy looked tough, he had a few scars on him, a missing ear - it only kept drawing Hiero's eye to observe and wonder what kind of stories this guy must have behind each and every wound that painted his canvas. He could only imagine that each and every one of them had its own unique story. It was hard to keep himself on track and not immediately blurt out every question that floated in his head to know about each and every scar he saw!

“Hydra? No. Was I supposed to?” No, it wouldn't answer any of Hieronymous' questions but instead just add to the giant pile for him to try and figure out. Whoever this Hydra was they had to be important. It didn't quite strike him yet that he was on the lands they were trying to claim and had totally walked over the boundaries unknowingly. Those are the dangers for a wandering man with a nose that doesn't function like his brethren's.

Every day wandering was a risk, and every new day was a blessing.

the staff team luvs u
03-08-2021, 02:34 AM
He could feel some of the blood drain from his face (and brain, or so it felt) when Hieronymous spoke his alpha's name in the form of a question, as he realized then that this wasn't a new member of their family group. This was shaping up to be a stranger who seemed completely oblivious of the fact that he was on claimed grounds. To be fair, they were still in the process of determining borders, so the markings still had some distance between them, and the paths taken by each guardian meandered a bit one way or another...But even still, Bronco thought that the markings should have been clear enough that Hieronymous would have taken a bit more caution. 

Either that, or he was one very bold wolf. 

"Uhm, so," He said, and gestured that they should start walking- down the slope. "That mountain there, the tall one- we're uh, there's a bunch of us, and we've been claiming it for...At least a week now," How long had it been? He couldn't remember, but it had been at least a week since they'd started marking it, right? "I mean, it's still called the 'Nameless Mountain' but we'll get a name soon. And this is sort of...Within the borders we've been establishing." It was probably the most roundabout way of informing Hieronymous that he was trespassing, but Bronco had never been a very forceful wolf. "If you'll kindly follow me, I'll uhm. Take you this way," He said, figuring it was obvious enough that he wanted the stranger to be on neutral turf.
the staff team luvs u
03-08-2021, 06:19 PM
Although confused by the question directed to him, it was no different than the confusion he felt over everything else that surrounded all of them as they woke up in these strange, new lands without any recollection over how or why they got here in the first place. His tail continued to swing lazily behind him, just pleased to be in the presence of someone else who seemed to be relaxed and friendly despite the shared confusion over their conversation.

“Oh— ssssshiii-ooooot.” And once the news was broken of the sin he had committed, everything fell. His tail fell limp, shoulders slumped even. Only a few days in these lands and ALREADY he had trespassed. Half expecting to run with his life, the man who shared the news seemed to be of a more passive nature. Something Hieronymous was ever so thankful for.

“Absolutely, lead the way.” He bounced along the man's side, happily sticking close to his new guide out of claimed lands as to avoid anyone suspecting a nefarious plot and might join them with ill-intent on the unwilling trespasser. “So uh, your claim is the whole mountain?” He tried to prod for a more clear idea of what was now offlimits.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-08-2021, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 11:35 PM by zina. Edited 1 time in total.)
He wasn't sure exactly what it was about how or what Hieronymous said, but when he censored his exclamation, it made Bronco soften and chuckle. It wasn't like Bronco was a child who shouldn't hear such language- but if nothing else it showed that Hieronymous was capable of minding his language even when stressed out. He looked genuinely sorry, so Bronco was quick to pass his misadventure off as a mistake. In compliance with Bronco's guidance, the male stepped off in the direction inticated and made his way along with a cheery bounce to his step. He certainly rebounded well- which was nice to see. The more he thought about it, the more he wondered if Hieronymous might not actually be a perfect fit for the pack. 

"Uh, Yeah, I think so," He said. "Sort of down to the foothills here, so we can hunt in the forested areas along here, and have our borders be where the land begins to ascend." He said. "I'm Bronco, by the way," He said, realizing then that they'd at least temporarily forgotten their introductions whilst trying to sort out of they were packmates or not. "Are you looking for a home at all?" He asked next, still toying with the idea of perhaps recruiting Hieronymous because of his positive attitude, and how easily he took correction.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
03-09-2021, 06:42 PM
As he followed the gentleman out toward their borders, Hiero was sure to eyeball their territory and memorize the landscape and any landmarks to make sure he would not repeat his little silly mistake. Once, very few would forgive so quickly so this was a blessing in itself, a second time? Well, he wouldn't blame being skinned alive for such treason of immediate trust. Even with this he didn't venture too far from the auburn pelted man.

Bronco shared not only where the boundaries of their lands were, but also where they hunted. Hieronymous made a quick note of that to avoid hunting in the woods he pointed out as to not step on their toes any further. Though it was unlikely they would guard it in the same way they were establishing the mountain, it was wise to avoid it regardless should they expand their claim...

“Hieronymous Boesch~” The man was quick to give his own introduction, hoping to keep on Bronco's friendly side as well, the more friends in different places meant better for himself and well... whoever else he knew was missing. “Hmm perhaps, but not right away.” The admitted freely. “I'm on the search for... well, not quite sure what or whom, but ever since the plains I feel like something is missing from me.”

the staff team luvs u
03-09-2021, 07:03 PM
Well, his name was definitely a mouthful, but Hieronymous himself seemed pretty easy to get along with. And while he didn't seem interested in being recruited, it did seem as though there was something that he wanted- though he didn't seem to be too sure exactly what it was. Bronco paused to sniff  a marking left behind on a bush, and could tell that they were getting closer to the borders now. He hadn't trespassed by much- just enough for him to have merited a warning and redirection. 

"D'you think that it might be a someone, rather than a something?" Bronco asked. There were times when he felt as though he was missing someone, though he couldn't recall who it might have been. Occasionally, when someone spoke his name, he heard an echo of many voices, but they belonged to wolves whose faces he couldn't place.
the staff team luvs u
03-09-2021, 08:29 PM
Bronco took a moment to sniff at a bush, Hieronymous not wanting to look as useless as he was lowered his head to the ground to try and mimic his partner and pretend he was at least smelling something other than dirt... dirt.. and more dirt. Oh how he wondered what everyone else was smelling, how his life would be so much different than it was now!!

It was when Bronco continued the conversation that Hiero was able to finish his facade. “It's possible.” A casual shrug. Although the feeling of something this important was missing from his life, he wasn't about to let it control his moods and ruin his days until he figured it out. “Won't know until I find them I suppose.” He mused lightly, almost amused with his own words in a light casual facade. Deep down, it irritated him; and he fought that irritation constantly.

“I met a few before you who found themselves in similar situations, are you one of them as well Bronco? Foggy memories, waking up in these strange lands alone.” From their previous conversation, he could almost assume that considering this pack of his sounded brand spanking new.

the staff team luvs u
03-09-2021, 08:43 PM
[size=small]While it didn't seem as though he'd managed to hit the nail on the head, Hieronymous didn't seem too disappointed about not knowing what it was that he felt he was missing. A strange way to feel, Bronco thought- and something about that idea took root at the back of his mind. He didn't typically question the way of things, but some minute part of him was trying desperately to get his attention. But he was more concerned with other things, and the reality that he lived in now seemed to have taken over whatever reality he might've known before. [/size]

[size=small]But when questioned, he found himself drawing blanks. He had awakened, only to find Hydra not long thereafter. Something was strange about the fact that he felt fairly certain he was a pack wolf, belonging to an establish pack- but here he was, establishing borders. It was almost as though he'd been sent back in time, or something along those lines, but he didn't like to think of it. He didn't even like acknowledging that something was a bit amiss. So many things felt right, that he simply didn't want to question what those other, shaded memories were and why they existed. It was easier for him to tell himself it was all a dream. [/size]

[size=small]"I get weird dreams sometimes," He said, "But I've lived near the mountains all my life." None of that was untrue; not terribly specific, but honest enough. Some part of him felt a bit ruffled at being reminded that something was off, though, and he preferred not to answer any other questions about it. It unnerved him that other wolves were simply waking up- with no memories. "Anyhow, these are our borders, and I ought to get back to marking them." He said. Clearly, if they'd had one accidental trespasser, they might get more if their borders were as undefined as they seemed to be, as he was oblivious of how much struggle Hieronymous had with detecting scents. "You think you'll be alright from here?" He asked. [/size]
the staff team luvs u
03-09-2021, 09:09 PM
last from me!! <3

Unnknowingly he had tapped into a nerve. Hieronymous wasn't the type to dig for answers when even given the most shallow of responses. Whatever he got was good enough for him and thankful for even the little morsels given to work with and figure out his own smog-filled head. And so, "weird dreams" was good enough. There must be far more than just the handful he had met who were all in the same boat... which was curious but also relieving.

“Weird.” He sighs long and dramatically, trying to diffuse any uncomfortable feelings he might have dredged up with his personal question. As the man pointed out their borders, Hieronymous took a quick moment to take mental note of it all, of the landscape, of the change in altitude and of the ground to make sure he'd be more aware of this place should he ever come across this mountain again. Looking back over his shoulder, he even took note of the mountain itself. What it might look like from all angles. It was huge, hard to miss.

Finally, he turned with an appreciative nod. “I will, thank you Bronco. Hopefully, we can meet again on less awkward terms~” Waiting just long enough for Bronco to reciprocate, Hiero was off. Away from the mountain to give him and them a safe space between them, and hoping to keep searching for whatever may be... missing.

the staff team luvs u
03-09-2021, 09:17 PM
He nodded slightly, and gazed off into the coniferous forest, wondering just how many other wolves had had the same experience...Had they all woken up on the same day? Had they all come from the same place? Or was there maybe just something in a water source that had made them all sick enough that they passed through the worst stages of the illness, and then forgot what had happened. There could definitely be some realistic explanation, he thought. After all- his weird dreams happened most after he ate something that had been buried in the ground for a few days. It was entirely possible that there was a natural phenomenon happening, that made memories fuzzy. 

He nevertheless gave Hieronymous a soft smile when he looked back over his shoulder, and chuckled softly. "You're welcome to visit again," He said, hoping that that might help his new friend feel a bit less awkward about trespassing. The way Bronco saw it, no harm had been done- and he had the potential to be an excellent packmate, if he ever changed his mind and decided he wanted a home on the mountain. He watched the male disappear into the distance, and began to patrol around the borders again, marking his scent along the way so that he might avoid having another trespasser. Not all would be nearly as friendly and cooperative as Hieronymous Boesch.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top