Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
The Outrage of Villains Will Be Ending Now

Early Morning
P
Shiroshika
07-26-2021, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 12:03 AM by Vera. Edited 1 time in total.)
Vera

"A piece of waste,
A piece of scum,
A low life,
Or evil.
I don't know but,
The outrage of villains will be ended now..."

-flashback-

The golden creamed female sighed, seeming slightly frustrated and annoyed. Opening her gorgeous blue eyes, she spoke in a cold tone that made Vera believe her whole body was freezing over. "Are you really going to make me say it, Veve?" She asked, using her pet name. Still Vera could not understand where she was trying to go with this. If something was bugging her, she should tell her so she could help fix it, fix them. "I..Olivia...I really can't read your mind. Please, just say it, say something to me...It hurts..." Vera finally admitted, lowering her head in shame. And it was then Olivia scoffed and Vera looked back up at her, and regretted it. Those blue eyes were colder than any winter.

"Geez making me to be a bad guy. What can I say? We won't work out." Vera could have sworn she was being impaled as the world began to fade away. "It was cute when we were younger and when you were, well, normal." Somehow she found enough strength to respond, her voice hollow.
"...Normal?" It seemed Olivia's patience had now fade as her hackles rose. "Yes, your ugly, hideous! How can I love someone I can't even look at anymore?! You've changed too much. I...sometimes I wish you would have died in that wire." She said, eyes watering. Vera understood the situation now. She was angry, angry at her pretty girlfriend no longer being said pretty or normal. Olivia thought she had belonged to her, and her own wounds were a form of betrayal to Olivia. But that...it just wasn't fair to put that all on her. They have been best friends since puphood, surely she understood what she had been going through? But then why was this happening?

"I'm sorry." Vera found herself apologizing, again, and again, body tumbling. Olivia simply seemed disgusted at her groveling. "You need to get it through your skull, you're a freak, a monster. I don't want anything to do with you so don't talk to me anymore. Just...go die!" Olivia spat and stocked off. Vera could only stare after her, feeling an indescribable anguish. Betrayal. Hurt. Her words echoing in her head.

"You need to get it through your skull, you're a freak, a monster."

Vera's eyes shot open. She was met with a winter wonderland. It was not an unusual sight for her. But what puzzled her was the fact that she did not recognize any of this land. Slowly she stood up, realizing that she felt quite great, better than she had felt in a long time. Testing this out, she began to explore the environment, finding her body obeying her with an ease she had miss. A dumb but hopeful thought crossed her mind. If her body has changed, maybe her appearance too. Maybe she wasn't ugly anymore. Her new goal turned into locating a pond or any reflective body of water. Thankfully since it was the warmer months, it was not hard to accomplish her task. Alas she felt crestfallen at the sight of herself. Hideous, she seemed younger, but still hideous and ugly. Maybe this was just who she really was, her insides slipping out to the world for all to see and laugh at.

With a huff, she took a quick drink before thinking of her next course of action. She had kind of just been going with the flow until now, but she had to think about it. The fact that she seemed to be somewhere new, almost like a second chance. "Well then I better find something interesting..." She mumbled to herself before letting back her head to expose a long deep howl. She was not worried of alerting others, whether they were hostile or not, it would make for something interesting at least. A chance for her to discover something new and figure out how she should blaze through this new life. In the back of her mind she couldn't help but wonder if this was a new awaited hell though. @Reiko
the staff team luvs u
07-27-2021, 12:10 AM
Thank you for starting! <3 Please don't feel rushed, I'm just making sure this is on my thread log

^^
Once again she was drawn away from Tsukiishi to check the lands further South with hope in her breast that Haruki would be somewhere wandering about to find them. Following the scent trails his mother was leaving behind with her constant day trips away from the mountains they called home. Every trip held new hope and yet every day she was left with the same results.

Never would she quit trying to find her son, even if it would weigh her down as age crippled her legs - she would hold onto hope until a body would be recovered to assure her that he was gone for good. Until then, she would forever hold onto hope that he was out there waiting to be found. Waiting to be brought back home.

At a time the howl that rang out for no one in particular would have given her hope to see the beautiful storm eyed boy behind it, but she knew it was not him - the pitch was feminine and this time she could tell without letting those rose coloured lenses blind her senses. Uncertain for the reason behind the call, she answered. A soft song rang out from her own throat as she closed in on the woman who asked for an audience.

What the Empress found was a scarred woman, most likely roughly the same age as she but much - much larger. She must be as tall as Tiberius she wowed internally, eyes glittering seeing such a strong looking woman. There was no fear, there was no need. She felt no nefarious reason hidden behind her call or how she carried herself despite the skin poking through that alabaster pelt of hers; and so the smaller woman's tail swayed in a silent greeting.
^^
the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
07-28-2021, 03:27 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 03:30 AM by Vera. Edited 1 time in total.)
Vera would not have been surprised for one to wander upon her now. However, what she had not expected was another to answer her call. Where she was from that was quite dangerous. Perhaps this was only a place for the strong to thrive. Vera tried to look despondent as she went towards the source of the howl. But she couldn't resist the slight wag of her tail, heart slightly fluttering at the beautiful voice. It was a voice fit for a princess. Experience made Vera cautions though. The situation could still turn ugly quite fast, uglier than herself even.

She soon encountered the stranger, a white wolf with blue eyes. At first that would be just the norm of the north, but her very being screamed of being sculpted from the ice by goddesses. A quality and grace to herself that even her gorgeous brother would never posses and would be envious of. Vera immediately felt very out of place, self-conscious of the steam that blew from her exposed gums like a beast of hell. She seemed to hold a melancholy that Vera could not begin to understand. Something was slightly off with the wolf, a desire but more information was needed before she could make an educated guess. She also noted with surprise the size of the stranger. So small, so tiny. She would have been thrown into the Wired Fangs by some jackass sooner or later if she had been from her birthplace. Perhaps it was only a matter of time for someone so fragile-looking.

Pushing away that dark thought, she focused back on the present. The stare from the other, she had assumed it was from the usual thing, her features. But her social awareness allowed her to spot something else in her eyes. Was it a sort of admiration. Either way, it was positive, and the situation in general seemed good enough to Vera. If it ended up being a trap of some kind she'll just kick ass like usual.

With a smile that was stiffed by her scars, Vera bowed her head a little in greeting. "My name is Vera." She introduced simply before walking closer to the stranger, trying to flex off her muscles in the process. Vera would deny it, but she just couldn't help but soften around cute girls. "Like what you see?" She joked as she posed in a way that conveyed strength. "Or...are you just trying to figure out where to put a new scar on me, hm?" She asked as she tilted her head so that her one only-working eye could get a good look at her. Her last sentence had also been said in a teasing manner, but there was a hint of forewarning in it. That told she was ready to play nice or mean, depending on her aim. Not that such a small-fry could put a scar on her, but company loves to follow the pretty ones.
the staff team luvs u
07-28-2021, 01:23 PM
^^
Perhaps one day she would not announce herself, or maybe even just ignore the call completely, but today was simply not that day. She had no reason to ignore the call to come and greet the titanness and let her know that someone heard her and was on the way. Until the day it would be proven to be dangerous, Reiko would continue with her routine of politeness and open heart to those in need.

Vera was quick to introduce herself and begin to approach. A part of the Empress thought that it would be wise to keep a small distance between them, if not, @Tiberius would have a fit if he were to ever find out she was not cautious. So she took a couple steps back to silently claim some lingering distance between the two women, but not out of fear or distrust - no, she wanted to talk too in all honestly.

“Reiko Izuka of Shiroshika.” Returning the light curtsey, she would brush off the light accusation that she would try to add to the woman's scars. It was almost humorous. As if the small, frail Empress would be able to even put a scratch on the titan of a woman. If anything, it would come off more as a playful pup trying to deal with their teething, and that made the woman giggle at the thought. “I would never.” and could never. 

“I was not expecting to see such a strong woman like yourself, pardon me, your call simply does not fit your physique.” Nor did the woman's voice fit it either, but the contrast was intriguing. But here she was embarrassing herself while rambling to some stranger who was most likely too busy to deal with an ogling on looker. “My apologies...” Which she realized and felt bashful for. 

“Are you seeking anything in particular?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-28-2021, 07:12 PM
Vera was a little annoyed with her want for space. What did it matter, she'd be dead already if Vera wanted it. Alas, it's better to respect the requests of others, so Vera made sure to acknowledge the space between them, taking her own step back with a yawn to relieve stress. She introduced herself, giving even her full name. Reiko Izuka. It sounded quite foreign to the Slavic wolf. Good thing she didn't try to start the conversation in Russian earlier. Vera wasn't even going to try to pronounce Shiroshika herself, wondering if that was a family or pack name, perhaps both. Either way it was an identity, so good enough for her.

Reiko then went on about her appearance and call after denying any ill intentions. Vera kinda thought it was tactless, like yeah, she knows nothing that's nice matches her ugly ass, no shit. But seeing her try to convey her thoughts in a way without trying to be offensive yet also honest was too precious to find irritation with. For a wolf that seemed so elegant she was quite...was the word normal? As in just another wolf trying to get through life with all the thoughts and worries that they all had to go through. 

As Reiko apologized, Vera couldn't help but laugh. "Don't put yourself down with apologies. You're doing fine, I really don't mind. So say whatever you want, it's nice to meet you Reiko! Err...sorry if I say your name a little weird." Vera said with a warmth she had miss. She had just been finding it amusing with how flustered Reiko had been, but now here she was apologizing and getting flustered over pronunciations, blargh. It had been such a long time since she had a normal conversation with anyone. Starting over was really feeling tempting now.

Reiko's question at the end caused Vera to pause in thought. "Who could say?" She started off, guarded. Vera was not one to talk about herself. She lightened up a bit due to the unique situation. "I'm a loner, new to the area. Just trying to start over ya know?" She said with an aloof shrug. Technically it was the truth. She would probably think she's crazy anyways if she said she just woke up here younger than ever.

Vera wanted to turn the table back onto Reiko. "What about you? That was a very interesting way to phrase a question. Something on your mind, or should I say... is there something you seek too?" She asked, recalling that initial melancholy that seemed to have clung to the wolf like snow.
the staff team luvs u
07-29-2021, 07:26 PM
^^
As the other understood the need for some distance, Reiko smiled and let her tail sway happily in appreciation to the recognition. Even the smallest signs of respect were always a good sign when meeting someone new. Understanding and accepting boundaries was an important factor of life even if the line eventually gets muddied and left behind as they get to know one another in time.

Both women had a little bit of a bump in the road with their comfort, one having a difficult time pronouncing the other's name and the other a little too open and blabbering uncontrollably. At least with the mutual apologies she felt some kind of equal footing with Vera. “No harm done, the attempt is always appreciated.” She would return the kind favour in letting it slide - not that she wouldn't have to begin with. 

As the two spoke, Reiko found enough comfort to take a seat for a moment. Letting her bum sink lightly into the thick layer of snow as her tail awkwardly wrapped itself around her waist while being pushed up by the frosted layer underneath. “Would you be surprised if I say there are many with a similar story?” They were all starting over new here. “I too started a new a few moons back, waking up here in these woods under a layer of snow with no memory of how I got here.” She would leave out Hotaru and Haruki for now in her story, she had been crying about them long enough that she could at least keep a steady head about the missing prince now. 

“Currently a few of us are building to what I sought - a home in the North of here. A fresh start for us all in s strange new land. I hope to bring families back together in time.” Hers included.
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-30-2021, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2021, 07:47 PM by Vera. Edited 1 time in total.)
Vera listened curiously, not bothering to sit because of anxiety but just because she simply felt like standing and was engrossed in the conversation at hand. So multiple of them where waking up with a new chance to life. She would have thought the wolf to be a nutter if she herself wasn't living proof of those words.

However, she couldn't help but scoff loudly as family was brought up. Such a honey-coated word and idea. She had no family left. The bonds she thought they had were betrayed the moment she found her sister's corpse. And then shattered into the void as she she shattered her brother's skull. Maybe they were already broken far before then. When mother died or father left. There had never been anything there from the start. Did she still love them, feel fondness for them? Yes, you cannot shake away phantom feelings. Destroy the work of time. It would fucking cling to her heart, stain her soul for the rest of eternity.

Vera realized she was taking this too personally as a scowl came upon her face. She let out a soft sigh before lightening up a bit. Though now it seemed she was the one who wore melancholy like a dress. "Your optimism is lovely. Forgive me for that momentary rudeness. I am a bit of a pessimist." She admitted with a sad laugh before continuing. "Rebuilding sounds wonderful though. Imagine all the opportunities that present itself..." She trailed off, losing a bit of courage. She was sure she knew the answer...but she had to say it. "Your little castle probably wouldn't allow a monster like me in, huh?" She tried to play it off as a joke but also a question at the same time. Dipping her toes in, but already ready to harden her heart, accept the fate she believed she was meant for.

She couldn't even look Reiko in the eyes now. She was inwardly cringing at herself, she wanted to be seen as someone strong in front of the pretty ones, not an non-confident pup. She didn't want to show it mattered to her, that positivity was a mythical beast she wanted to catch. An iron wall, that's what she needed to look like. Was she trembling? Vera was trembling ever-so-slightly.
the staff team luvs u
07-30-2021, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2021, 03:29 AM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
Something made the woman laugh - nothing all too pleasant either. Like what she said had wounded her, angered her ever so slightly and Reiko's ears fell just a little. Not wanting to dig herself a deeper hole here, she waited in silence until Vera spoke up. Once again apologizing but for something the Empress didn't catch. Rudeness?

The mood lightened again as Vera continued, seemingly pushing aside whatever dark clouds hung around her thoughts to move onto something else. “I wish for them to be endless~” To help open as many doors as possible for her citizens, to find their place in this world whether it was with Shiroshika or elsewhere. Their door would always be open to return to should they need.

Then there was a pause. Monster? The tone contrasted heavily against how Vera now carried herself. For a woman who came off so strong and certain of herself to seem almost lost and afraid, it broke the woman's heart to see. Such strength to also be so fragile. What had happened previously for such a thing to be possible?

With the new air between them taking a shift, and the warrior-ess needing comfort - Reiko took this moment to approach, gently with her head lowered and tilted so she could attempt to grab the woman's gaze again as she avoided that of the Empress'. “Vera...” She called softly, hoping to bring the woman out of her shell again. “Why would you call yourself such a terrible word?” A pause, hoping to hear her out or at least see if she could get eye contact again.

“I am not certain if monsters are welcome... but you certainly are if you would like to come Vera.” With a sweet smile and a wag of her plush tail, she waited.
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-31-2021, 03:05 AM
Her single-working eye found itself staring back at Reiko as she heard her name called in such a sad manner, the wolf having gotten closer. Originally having wanted to close the distance and get close, Vera found herself shying away from that. She managed to keep herself from wiggly back and instead just shuffled a little in place. The sad look in Reiko's eyes that matched her previous voice, she hated it. She wanted Reiko to say her name with the early warmth. She wanted her to be happy.

Vera hadn't expected Reiko to ask such a question. She thought it was kind of obvious. She was not 'feminine' or 'cute' in the slightest, and a beast she looked. Her heart was black as one too if her previous actions held any suggestions. Nonetheless her orange eye gazed at her with a longing she didn't understand. She almost said it, almost answered her why she was. But this wolf Reiko had strict ethics she assumed. She would likely flinch away in fear and or disgust if she told of her deeds and story. The amount of wolves she killed was way in the double digits, if one told her it was in the hundreds she wouldn't be surprised. If she told how she bashed in the face of her first love or killed her brother?

She could feel herself getting wind-up but then Reiko spoke again with a kindness and series of words that were even more unexpected. Her look became one of disbelief. Part of her almost felt guilty, like she really should let Reiko know what kind of wolf she was welcoming into her home. But the opportunity to be where the sun shines and with wolves like Reiko, and Reiko herself. No she wasn't about to run her trap and get turned away. Now that an arm was extended for her, a kind gesture. She had hope suddenly, and Vera would cling to it.

She wasn't sure about not being a monster, but Reiko not thinking of her as one, even if she was a good liar and just trying to be nice at face-value, it meant a lot to Vera either way. Her tail wagging as her disbelief turned into a happy teary eyed expression, interestingly both her eyes seemed to have tears, albeit her blind eye was making less of them. Wiping her face really quick, she put on another look of bravado, straightening her posture to look tough and cool once again. "Well then don't mind if I do Reiko~ I doubt it needs to be explained but I provide muscle, you need my strength for anything in your little kingdom and I'll be happy to share it in whatever way. Work me until my legs give out, not that it will ever happen." She promised/bragged as she began to flex again, one last sniffle before the teary emotions truly left.

Rolling her eyes, she added with a cheeky grin "You better not tell anyone tears were coming out of my eyes or you owe me a date." She threatened jokingly, just teasing as her mood lightened with her heart as she realized she was just given a chance at a new life. She felt like doing a hundred push-ups!
the staff team luvs u
08-01-2021, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2021, 12:04 AM by Reiko.)
^^
There was another like Vera, one who believed themselves to be unacceptable for their little empire - Tiberus had similar thoughts, that he was far too violent but assured he would be useful. What a terrible way to see someone as, useful. Like a tool to be used and discarded as soon as they were no longer functioning at their peak. No, he was a part of their society. One of the other members with a duty to fulfil and a life to live.  

Just as Vera here.

They all had their demons, even Reiko herself had a dark shadow following her thoughts and memories. It was simply easier for her to move on, to focus on what she had now than to let it linger and dampen the happiness she strived for. But even Noboru, that monster of a man, would live on still in her nightmares. The torment he had caused in the Reneian Empire - but she had learned from those days, tucked it away as a lesson and strived to not repeat those same errors as then. 

What came from it at least was one or both of her children, and for that she was almost thankful. Her children were beautiful, but the memories of how they came to be would be best forgotten.

Looking up at Vera she spotted the watery eyes, how embarrassed she was and quickly wiped them away only to stand proudly as she did before. Reiko smiled brightly in return, bathed in the light that Vera radiated with pride. “Your strength will be appreciated Vera.” Oh how they needed it, Tiberus would be happy to know he would no longer be the only one. “Your secret is safe with me, and should it not be, I will honour our pact.” A date? It felt more playful than anything and so she did not blush, but it was close enough.

“Would you like to come with me back to Tsukiishi? Show you your new home?” On the way they would have to discuss Rainier and how she was one of them, that she was not a danger to fear.
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-02-2021, 11:02 PM
Sure enough they were feeding off of each others energy. As Reiko brightened, Vera only glowed further. And as her joke was humored, Vera could have become the sun at that point. Her posture becoming prideful as she flexed once again with her stance.

As Reiko spoke of her being useful Vera found her mind wandering a little. At the end of the day, being useful to society was the whole concept of her homelands. A mega pack with packs inside that also functioned in a way to keep homeostasis. Vera wouldn't be sure she could ever live a lazy life. That was one big difference between her and her brother. Whenever he had the chance he, the much smaller wolf, would always try to hop a ride on her and laze about in flowers and what not. Vera never understood it, but if she functioned in a way that helped lazier or weaker wolves, then that must be a virtue to aim for, right? Sure enough, she would need to do some soul searching but thoughts and memories like these would get her on the right track.

Vera smiled as Reiko metaphorically stuck out her paw, asking if they should go to her new home and new pack now. "Of course, I would love to see sushkia-now or however you say it." She said, getting embarrassed at the end as she butchered the word. Maybe she could get Reiko or someone she could recommend to help her with pronunciation and education of culture and potential languages later. But that was for another day. Walking to Reiko's side she smiled down at her warmly. Ready to protect this small but amazing wolf's vision. She would proceed to follow and discuss all that she could think of with Reiko, learning some shocking things here and there.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top