Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Now I'm thinkin' about her everyday

Evening Sunny/Clear 74° F
P
Vanderfell Woods
07-25-2021, 05:18 PM

^^
He had been away for a couple days now. Carefully Hieronymous made sure the caches were filled to the brim before heading out to hunt for something in particular. It was unusual for him to leave without telling Ira first - but this was to be a surprise, and knowing him, he wouldn't have been able to keep his mouth shut should she ask why and where he was off to.

So he finally returned. 

Dirty with a little bit of blood caked on from days of hunting and climbing the mountains for this one particular piece of pelt he had brought back with him. A large goat's hide. Of which he carried back with him dropped over his back as he carefully returned to Vanderfell's borders, his head peeking out from underneath the hide to look around and see if anyone was around to greet him.
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
07-25-2021, 09:22 PM
Between her own missions leading her out of the territory it was easy to miss the faded scents of wandering pack members. She wouldn't be proud to admit it had she known she had lost track of her tabs, but sometimes it could not be helped when there were few paws to help. In the end, they managed and the pack was still here. So long as that remained true she did not mind.

So far there had been no eyes on Quicksilver and it was past time to give in that search. The man was gone, rather that be for his own turn or the trouble of another's will. He would remain in the ranks for now, but come another few weeks it would be time to strip him of what he had lost. Ira had padded mindlessly down the slopes, her thoughts adrift to the recent happenings when she caught sight of the goat moving slowly through the peaks...though upon closer inspection she'd come to realize it was just the pelt of one.

The high queen squinted, confused at first until she made out the mismatched pelt of Hieronymous beneath it. So he had left the territory...his scent had faded, but not enough to make her doubt his location. Slowing her own pace, Ira would make her way over eyeing the bloodied pelt Busy as always I see, though I admit this is a new one.

the staff team luvs u
Vanderfell Woods
07-25-2021, 09:41 PM
^^
A slow wave of his tail moved beneath the goat's pelt near his rear, lifting his head up just a bit the skin fell back on his neck, freeing his head to see his surroundings just a little better once more. Of course the first one to come and see him as Hieronymous came back home was the High Queen herself, and naturally he smiled as she neared.

“Indeed it is.” The pelt was a mess, a still relatively fresh kill that needed some washing and drying - but it should be perfect for whatever reason she wanted one in the first place. But he was beaming with a smile, proudly displaying the prize along his spine as he gave a slow spin around for her to see it all.

“Quite beautiful isn't it? Needs a bit of cleaning, but it was the largest one I could find.” He wanted to hear her thoughts of it before breaking the news that it was hers to take.
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
07-25-2021, 09:58 PM
He was more than proud of the kill, though she couldn't blame him. From the looks of the pelt it must have been some beast, it was a wonder how he managed to do so alone. Aye, and you tracked and hunted it by yourself? With a nose like his? Most impressive indeed. The roan woman would pad around him for a closer look. Once it had been washed off and dried it would certainly make a fine prize for his efforts.

What use will you make of it? I doubt this is some spur-of-the-moment prize for something requiring so much work. Blind to his intentions, she could not say she did not envy him either. Perhaps the next clear day where she was lacking many duties she would hunt down some pelts of her own.

the staff team luvs u
07-25-2021, 10:20 PM
^^
“That I did! It put up quite the fight but was no match in the end.” Lifting his chin up, he basked in the glory of his victory this time feeling almost like a king himself with the fur coat around his neck and back. “Would have been back faster if I didn't have this wee problem.” So he had to take his time tracking the beasts visually and auditory wise. Patience and lots of wandering, but finally in a few days he managed to snag what he sought.

Granted he could have asked someone else to help - but a part of him wanted to do it himself. To prove capable to put in the work and see it through. Just like a rose, the meaning behind the thorny flower as a gift is to face the thorns and prove the pain was worth the prize for a loved one.

Soon enough Ira opened the opportunity for him to offer the pelt by asking what he was gonna do with it. It was now or never. He took the pelt by grabbing it between his teeth, sliding it off his back and toward Ira as it hung there between them.

There he'd wait for her to take it from it. “You tell me.” Words only muffled lightly from the offering and his teeth being busy holding it in place.
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-25-2021, 11:03 PM
The painted man wouldn't answer outright, something she'd usually raise a brow at, though it wouldn't take long for her to piece two and two together. Hieronymous reached behind him to grab hold of the pelt and hold it between them. A silent gesture of offering that she recognized even without remembering their little hunting bet from weeks before. The roan queen tilted her head hesitant to grab hold of the heavy pelt.

I recall not winning our bet. What reason have you brought me this? Sure he could have just been polite, but gifting pelts often meant more, at least in her own culture though chances were he did not realize that fact. It was why she had to be certain before accepting his offering. Such a pelt wasn't just for courtesy, it was large...enough for a family to rest easy on.

the staff team luvs u
07-25-2021, 11:26 PM
^^
No, he didn't realize what were Ira's traditions. That this offering to her was much more than just some casual, harmless, flirting. That for him he might be cruising, but that to Ira, it was like flooring the pedal and heading either straight to victory or crashing hard into a wall. So he awkwardly smiled with the pelt hanging from his lips, brows raised cautiously and his tail swinging slowly behind.

So when she asked, his heart rushed. Threatening to beat right out of its cage and be barfed up right here between them as a literal offering of his heart to her. Accidentally or not.

How does the saying go? “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it,” it was unfortunately fitting for Hieronymous as he remembered nothing of his previous attempt to win over the beautiful Ira. So was this one of those instances where history would simply repeat?

“Well uhh —” He started sheepishly, finding it hard to find the words in this moment which was unlike him. “I like you.” And it was as if finally the flood gates were open. The hardest step was already made and all he had to do was express it further to make it clear. “More than friends, more than just your follower. I have ever since I first saw you. I don't remember much of that day, but I remember how I felt - and I felt that way for years now.”

It was the moment of truth now.
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-26-2021, 12:52 AM
There was a brief pause, one just long enough for the reality of the situation to sit in. His expression said it before he managed to. It was...hard to believe honestly. No one had ever taken an interest in her romantically before yet...for some reason, this all felt familiar. The occasional rogue flirt, sure, but back home well...she wasn't exactly the type people sent suitors after. She had been tainted at birth, an unsightly blotch in a perfect system yet here she was.

And yet wasn't that the exact reason Vanderfell existed the way it did? To change the wrongs of Hengfell and keep what worked well. The moment only dragged on as Hieronymous finished and it wouldn't until another passed that she realized she hadn't said anything. Truly, the painted knight had caught her off guard. I— What...could she say? They had bantered before, a playful competition here and there. Hell, she had kissed him.

Yet even with the flirting she never expected it to go somewhere. I appreciate your honesty...but I'm not sure I can fully commit myself so suddenly. Marriage was a big step and in her position, she had to think of the pack as well. Whoever she married would ultimately end up king. Out of her current options though there were not many and Hiero had been very helpful to the pack. He wasn't a terrible option at all...

To clarify that's not a no— I just need to figure some things out. It's a decision that concerns the pack not just myself. Was she flustered? That was new although when she thought about it her skin did feel warmer than usual.

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2021, 01:07 AM
^^
Perhaps if he knew what was going on in her head things would have been clarified. That this was not a request to tie her down as his wife right here and now and that it was more so just a confession of his feelings. Perhaps it was also for the best he didn't know, otherwise the knight would be more nervous than he already was.

And so when Ira finally answered, the passive sway in his tai slowed to a stop. He would feel a light ache in his chest despite the weight lifted off his shoulders by admitting what he wanted to for a while now. Not that he made any efforts in keeping it a secret either. “I understand.” He wouldn't let the smile fade from his face, this wasn't the end after all. He still had breath in his lungs so the world didn't come crashing down.

“The goat skin is yours regardless, a gift. Please take it.” He had no use for it anyway.

Even if Ira cleared that it was not a 'no', it sure felt like it; and he wouldn't keep his hopes up and wait forever either. Anyway, it wasn't like his feelings would change.
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-26-2021, 01:27 AM
The smile never left his face, but she could see the hurt. It was in his eyes rather he'd admit it or not. It sent a pang of guilt through her, though she did not regret her decision. I will think about it, alright? She would think about it. Even now there were more pros than cons, but she couldn't safely say she'd be happy jumping into a marriage when she hadn't even considered his previous attempts at courting.

Thank you for the pelt. It's lovely. Truly even bloodied and all, though the hard part was over and cleaning it wouldn't take much time at all. It was just as she had asked and rather or not she accepted his proposal it would make her den much more comfortable. Finally accepting the gift, Ira would take the pelt in her jaws and turn to leave though she wouldn't get more than a few steps before she dropped it and turned back, placing one brief kiss to his jaw, and then hurried off to deal with the pelt.

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2021, 02:01 AM
^^
With a nod. “Alright.” He said without adding much else to her thought - there was no need to guilt trip into anything. Though it was hard to hide the disheartening feeling he felt at the initial rejection he felt, there was no hatred or resentment felt. It was such how things would go sometimes. Just because you had feelings for someone, didn't mean they would always be reciprocated.

As she took the pelt from him finally, he smiled. Genuinely so. “It's my pleasure High Queen Ira.” He had a feeling it was to be used in her den, but still, he was curious to see what she would do it with it later. A conversation for another time as things seemed to have gotten just a little awkward now. Just as she was walking away, the man sighed, ready to turn and walk his own way to take a hike and clear his head - only to be caught off guard at the little kiss placed on his jaw.

Well, that easily eased the sting and brought a sway back to his tail. Even with the rejection, it felt nice to know he didn't screw thing up completely with his confession. Perhaps she truly meant it when she said she'd think about it.
^^
end!

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top