Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Give me some light for the deadvine.

Morning Sunny/Clear
P
Discovery
Elkshire
07-25-2021, 07:42 AM
The time since Tavra had crossed paths with the elk Queen had felt like a lifetime. She'd trailed through the wilds without finding a place to root herself, and her thoughts drifted often to Célnes and her deer-worshippers. She wondered if they'd realised how stupid it was to let prey animals dwell among their own as equals.

Curious to see how life there had progressed, the young Mayfair picked her way South-West toward the range where she'd last seen the earthen Alphess. She wasn't desperate enough to commit to them, not without terms of her own. Arrogant enough to believe herself elite to most, Tavra figured she would offer her support - as long as the rank was appropriate.

It was for @Célnes she beckoned, her voice cast skyward in request for her attention.

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2021, 04:41 PM
Though now obvious in looks, her stomach so round one could question just how exactly how many the Queen was truly carrying - even she would admit the days grew by it was far too difficult to move. Her nesting would come, but she was rather reluctant to admit to the life of needing to venture to somewhere quant and quiet, a place to stay for months on end for the new beginnings. How she would mold them to her desire - with the love of the High Elk, but the loyalty to her, Célnes had a lot of expectations for this first litter. Born for the pure purpose of desires, no love to be, and but an awful man to sire them so.. Was it worth? She thought so, to sacrifice her first born to the greed she held.

Though maybe the second, will be luckier.

Though borders close, it wasn't minded if someone were to call in. She lifted her heavy body, expecting a guard in the background, or a rather sigh to some.. Unfortunate situations that been happening ; the Queen would simply toss the thoughts to the side. A bus, perhaps, but she was still the Elkshire Queen.

"Tavra, a pleasure to meet again." As regal as she may present herself, she still couldn't find appropriate footing for her fat belly, and unstable walking. Quick steps, yet a slow stride, and a smooth strove to sitting downwards, looking at the other with an awkward smile.

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2021, 05:16 PM
She had... grown. Far more rounded in the abdomen than Tavra recalled, she supposed it made sense for a Queen to reproduce. Her proud mother, an Alphess herself, had bore a litter for three years running - likely four, now that she'd been reminded of the possibility. The young Mayfair stifled a sneer at the thought; she hoped there were no more daughters for Durnehviir to trouble.

Her feathered tail gave a gentle wave in greeting as the earthen leader spoke, and she felt a beat of pride to hear her name spoken. She'd made an impression, Tavra assumed, enough of one to have been remembered.

Good, she mused.

“Célnes, likewise,” a dip of her muzzle then, in quiet respect for the title she bore, “I've thought much about your offer since last we met.” Her copper eyes glistened with curiosity, with confidence; “would you mind if I asked a few more questions, before I make my final decision?”

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2021, 05:22 PM
Her memory was something to proud of, though she could never forget the curious voyagers that came across their land. Some spoke of promises to return after thought, others but a simple visit and a joyful laugh.. Tavra was perhaps the first who returned with such a thought, the rest she hadn't seen in quite some time, and wondered if they found a place elsewhere. A shame to be, but at least Elkshire numbers was not small, and large enough to gain  an appropriate confidence against other regals.

She also couldn't forget the woman who may bore in blessed hues, but as well as cursed. White as she was, beautiful and undesirable at the same time.

"What would you like to ask?" She patiently questioned.

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2021, 08:12 PM
Copper eyes glanced briefly over the shoulders of her companion, searching for the face of the guardian who'd lingered before; she wondered inwardly if he might be responsible for Célnes' litter. She could see no one hover around the gravid Queen for the time being, and a large ginger ear swivelled curiously atop her narrow crown to listen for any sound of approach.

They were entirely alone, thankfully.

“You say you don't hunt the deer,” she recalled out loud when Célnes prompted her to continue, “that your religion encourages companionship with them. I tried to understand, but I can't. I don't think I ever will.” Why defy the law of the wolf, in favour of the word of some whackjob? Who in their right mind thought aligning with prey could ever make sense in the real world?

She blinked, furrowed her brow, and lashed her tail. It wasn't her intention to offend the earthen Alphess with her judgement, with the absence of her own willingness to accept such otherworldly rules, but the discomfort of knowing she might settled in her belly. “I guess what I'm trying to ask,” she carried on, “is... how? How do you resist nature's way?”

the staff team luvs u
07-27-2021, 02:56 AM
As all feel the same, she could only smile at the other. Wolves were beings who craved meat, and the mightiest of meals were often found in the ungulates of the forest. Delicious as many claim, but not for the Queen of the Déorwine, for she never tasted them, and never will. She would respect others choices as they so do the same, and may not touch their hairs upon the forest she claims as Elkshire. Her tail lightly padded the ground, curiously watching the girl as she pondered on.

"I suppose the most obvious answer is, fear," Célnes answered, her tone drawled a bit to a hum, "for us who carry the name Déorwine - our patron, our God, is an elk, the High Elk, he with a thousand horns.. Who guides us to bountiful land. The fear of losing his grace, and we fall into ruin." She wondered what kind of disgrace did their kind had done to cause the forest to be on fire. She thought it was a misfortune, yet they were led to another fruitful land.. An accident, the whispers say, and not a punishment.

"For me it is but how I was raised. We do not eat plants because we were not raised that way. I do not eat elk or deer, for I was not raised the way. I hold respect to my patron, who has led me to this land." Her love for the religion was not as close, nor' as holy and noble some others may claim. She used it to her own reign often, twisting her family to follow her, and the words to turn the tides to her favor.. Everything tends to simply click for others, when tied to religion.

"It is quite strange to others, but natural to those who knew nothing more."

the staff team luvs u
07-28-2021, 08:10 PM
Back when she lived beneath her parents' rule, the hunt and successful felling of a great stag roused a feeling like no other. She remembered the electricity that coursed her veins throughout the chase, the excited anticipation of bringing the beast to its knees. To kill a proud elk could take hours, sometimes days, and the taste of it was comparable to nothing else.

Tavra was not afraid of her prey. She did not fear those who feared it. Always a non-believer in any higher diety, the crimson Mayfair wondered how others could not see beyond their family's teachings when they came of age. Her mother had pressed tirelessly how one should always prioritise family, should respect them above all else, and as a child that'd been easy to give. As a young adult, however, and more like Durnehviir than she cared to admit, she could see how manipulative and damaging those teachings could be.

Should she forgive her sisters for their resentment of her? No.
Should she forgive her father for trying to hold them together, no matter how miserable Durnehviir made her? No.
Should she forget the way her whole family expected her entire world to revolve around them and their needs, at her expense? Never.

“If I respect you,” she started, “and I respect your patron, and I don't hunt your deer on these lands, is it... acceptable to do so beyond them?” She twitched a whisker, copper eyes searching Célnes' dark features for any sign that her words had been offensive - which was not her intention. “I'm not saying I would, but I wonder what would happen if I were to.”

the staff team luvs u
07-29-2021, 02:04 AM
There was a curiosity on what turmoil's this child has been through to have such an attitude. Though she could not ask, nor' would she. In time perhaps the Queen would learn more, but to gain a loyal woman was to have the patience to deal with their issues and angers. Of course, there was always a limit, but she had yet to meet someone so unstable that they were not suited to the Elkshire forest.

She only smiled at the other, "The elk and deer in our forest are sacred, but we cannot protect them all. It is the request to not hunt in front of those who cherish the religion and them so, otherwise, it is free reign outside." In general she could never truly stop anyone, from hunting what she considers forbidden. Even Vengeance had throttled an innocent doe in front of her, and she could spend days of praying away the sins of the blood that occurred. Maybe even moreso now that she carries his young, but by the oath of the High Elk himself, the children would be raised holy.

Célnes was the true heathen.

the staff team luvs u
07-29-2021, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2021, 08:40 AM by Tavra.)
Tavra waited quietly. While she did not agree with the deer-worshipping aspect of the Elkshire clan, she knew enough of Célnes to see that she was a strong leader to them. She had agreed to answer her questions when she could've turned the russet yearling away, could've had her minions run her from the land. Her kindness and her patience was noted, and further bolstered the decision made to bind herself to her as comrade.

She dipped her muzzle then, in respect for the Queen who so respected her in return.

“If your offer still stands,” Tavra answered, “I would like to accept. But,” she rose her head then, confident in the request that would follow - she did not think Célnes was a she-wolf who'd be dictated to, but there was one thing the crimson youth could not promise; “the deer who hold rank among you, I won't... submit to them.” Arrogant and proud, it was unlikely she'd submit to anyone besides her leader, however, “I will respect the hierarchy and find my place within it, but I can't hold a lesser title to your deer.”

the staff team luvs u
07-29-2021, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2021, 04:46 PM by Célnes. Edited 1 time in total.)
A confident young woman - the pinnacle of a wolf should be in all their primal desires. To crave meet and to submit those of what a true canine takes, she would be the awe of any who take their ways. It was unfortunate to end up in such an odd place, where rules submitted to the elk itself, and cherished the deer that formed with. She understood though, even though they held such a rank, 'Divine' in their ways, she didn't them above of any other. For the sole reason, they were not the High Elk, but they were blessed,, and by the Gods themselves, their protection is extended.

"It is but mutual respect, not submission - you need not to bow toward them." A short chuckle at such an assumption, but perhaps expected from emphasizing their union with the ungulates. The other may run free as the wolf they desire; but simply hold a mutual respect, a kindness and non-hunting title to their hold. Her paws crossed slightly, an eye grazing toward the shuffling of elk behind the forest.

"If you accept such terms.. Welcome to Elkshire."

the staff team luvs u
07-29-2021, 07:47 PM
Célnes defended her prior statement with her attempt at a better description, but the chuckle she emitted could only be interpreted as amusement. That got Tavra's back up at once and her expression faltered a little, and although she did not find her seriousness at all funny, she maintained a certain coolness.

Her prickliness was nothing personal against the elk Queen, but an issue of Tavra's that she knew she'd need to take time to work on. It rooted back to Durnehviir's harsh treatment of her as an unaccomplished child; nothing could ever be good enough for the dragoness. She had not ever hurt her, not physically, but her narcissistic traits had damaged her far deeper than any wound ever could.

“I can,” she answered, content to conclude her acceptance and make haste in mapping the land that was to be her home, “Thank you. You know, for... giving me a chance.” I won't let you down.

the staff team luvs u
07-29-2021, 08:00 PM
"We all have our fair share of.. Matters," she didn't exactly say 'issues', more of simply subjects to be haunted by at times, or just parts of the past that are there. Though wolves may come to Elkshire, everyone has their fair share to bring. Likewise she held two who while not completely loyalty, they have proven to be of the wolves of the forest, and claim upon the rankings. She wasn't the first wolf that came off with such behavior, and most likely would not be the last.

"As my due date is coming close, if any issues may arise, the wolves under the name of Remus, Flynn and Meissa are my trusted guards." She couldn't lie and say the Queen would provide any help to her comfort, for soon she would be resting for quite a few weeks. A part of her held expectations, that while she was tending to the young, the new member of the forest would provide protection to the borders.

"May you be blessed."

wrap?

the staff team luvs u
07-30-2021, 09:07 PM
Matters, she said, and Tavra shot the Queen a puzzled look. What the hell was that supposed to mean? The dragon daughter had more than her share of mommy issues, and she felt the all too familiar surge of paranoia rear it's ugly head. She was swift to assume that Célnes might think her to be... tainted? Fragile? She was far from delicate! Her smart mouth and prickly exterior masked all that childhood trauma pretty well, she thought.

In a more familiar environment, Tavra would've challenged those words. She'd have sized up the speaker of them with an inflated sense of self, but she alas she barely knew this she-wolf. Instead she chose to say nothing, but the comment was likely to bother her another day.

Due date. Pups. Ew. Tavra twitched a whisker, knowing already that she would make no effort to welcome the Queen's brood with open arms. The less care she showed for them the less she'd be expected to play a part in rearing them.

“Got it,” the yearling said, though truthfully she hadn't really been paying attention to the names Célnes provided. Remo, Mimi and... Finn? Sure. Whatever, she didn't care. If they were supposed to be her trusted, personal guard, where the hell were they anyway? Which one of those was that sour-faced old guy from before? Feigning enthusiasm, Tavra smiled brightly for the Alphess and acknowledged her dismissal with a curt bob of her head. “See you around, and... good luck?” Was that the right thing to say to pregnant wolves ready to drop?

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
07-31-2021, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2021, 05:43 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
It brought a chuckle from the awkward 'good luck' but the Queen nodded at her with a smile. She was glad that more would come forward, especially as some promotions were introduced and took away at the bulk of their border protection, as a priority as the young she bore.. It was pleasant to know more bodies to join. In the distance she could hear the noise from an elk, a signaling of their retreating to the forest.

She too took that notice as time to return to the depths. Many times did Célnes go along with the herd that roamed, finding comfort to follow their route. Especially as they travelled to the doe's range, for she couldn't find any comfort leaving alone. Looking over to the herd that got up from the soft grass, she too heaved her heavy body up, and started to follow them away. Of course, some dazed behind and munched on the flowers; but she retreated inside The Elk's Crown.

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top