Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
When you said, "They're early this year too,"

Morning Snow 19° F
P
Shiroshika
Discovery
07-22-2021, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 02:36 AM by gerra. Edited 4 times in total.)
@Hotaru mommy daughter time!

^^
Today was finally the day she would bring Hotaru to the garden glacier and pick some herbs with her this morning. Often Reiko would go alone to investigate it and get to know the local flora and fauna and now she was plenty comfortable with it to show Hotaru around. Already she had smelled her daughter's scent here, but it would go unsaid as she would not want to chastise her daughter's healthy curiosity at this age despite her wanting to keep her only child as safe as possible.

“Have you noticed the glacier here being colder than snow?” Turning to Hotaru, she wanted to see if she could make heads or tails as to why the snow and ice here felt colder than back in Tsukiishi. Remembering when she was young and her father needing to explain to her the difference between regular ice and salt ice - it blew her mind. Perhaps she could do the same here and pass it on to her own daughter. 
^^

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
Discovery
07-22-2021, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 02:29 AM by gerra. Edited 1 time in total.)
Reiko had requested she join her for a trip to the glacier, though unknown to her mother (so she thought at least) Hotaru had been here before. That didn’t mean her curiosity for the little meadow of flowers was quelled though, there was still much for her to learn and who better to go with than her mother who knew so much about plants and the world?

She had padded eagerly after the empress as they traveled almost side by side. The trip was never horribly long and it wouldn’t take much for Reiko to break the ice (hah). Though admittedly, the young girl just tilted her head at her mother with confusion. Had the ice been colder? She thought it was just the difference of feeling ice somewhere warmer than somewhere already cold like the mountain peaks.

No, not really. Aside from how snow can keep you warm and ice can’t? Burrowing was one way to keep warm that she had learned at a very young age, but admittedly she had less knowledge about ice as a whole.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
07-25-2021, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 02:31 AM by gerra. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
It had been a long time since they had spent any time together that didn't involve travelling, hiding and taking care of wounds. It would be a nice change of pace to get as close to good times they had to leave behind when things took a sour turn back home.

Hotaru didn't take note of the change of temperature from regular snow and ice, to that of the salty glacier that stood between them and the gardens just beyond. It wasn't surprising, and Reiko simply smiled in return. Speaking softly to explain her thoughts, trying to remember how her father explained it years ago. “The ocean does not freeze like lakes do, and so for glaciers like these, it takes extreme cold to freeze saltwater.” Scratching at the surface of the ice and snow they stood on, she would try to paw at the shavings to show Hotaru to see if she could smell or taste the salt within.

“When we come back, try to see if you can feel the difference. When my father told me, I thought it was neat~” A whole new discovery to blow her young mind.

This was only one of the stops they would take today to teach her daughter the things she knew herself, there was much they had to catch up on now that they have a safe home.
^^

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2021, 05:45 PM
The young girl tipped her head curiously as she too stepped out onto the glacier. She had smelled the salt on her paws last time she came this way, but even so she would dip her nose down again to match the new information. The young princess would have never guessed that salt could make a difference in freezing, but it fascinated her. Is salt warm then? It certainly didn't feel warm, but it would make sense why it took longer to freeze.

small post :sweatblob:

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
07-26-2021, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 02:34 AM by gerra. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
“Hmmm.” Pursing her lips while trying to figure out an answer to Hotaru's question. “Good question.” Instead, she smiled. Defeated by it and left without something to give in return. “I have no answer to that. Perhaps one day you will.” Hotaru was a smart young lady that Reiko was certain would be proud to see as a Queen some day, or even better yet, an Empress as well.

Already she was asking the right questions and had a healthy curiosity.

“What I do know is that when the glacier melts, fresh water comes from it and feeds streams and lakes - which is where I believe the plants here get their water.” A beautiful segue for them to wander toward the greenery just beyond the glacier. Feeling the grass beneath her paws as they stepped away from the icy path they crossed.
^^

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
07-26-2021, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 02:34 AM by gerra. Edited 1 time in total.)
Well, even her mother couldn't have the answer to everything. Some worldly things would just remain a mystery like the stars in the sky, though there were still a few questions on her mind...if glaciers melted into rivers then how come there was no river here? Also wouldn't the water be salty from the ice? Glancing down at the ice structure beneath her she lowered her nose again, half waiting for her mother to look away before giving it a quick lick and grimacing.

Definitely not water she'd want to drink if she could avoid it. And plants like this? I mean they already grew differently than she did, maybe the salt didn't bother them. I don't think any water that melts from this would be very drinkable for a wolf.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
07-28-2021, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 02:35 AM by gerra. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
“To me, it does not seem that the salty water waters them directly. I assume the salt drops below as it melts, letting the water get absorbed by the earth.” Which can't be much seeing how big the glacier is and how little water there was on the ground around  (please note this is all Reiko's speculations, science says otherwise but wolves don't do science (8 ).

“However I wonder... Beach roses and sea lavender tolerate salt, perhaps there might be some growing near the glacier's feet.” She had yet to go near the bottom of the glacier and began to wonder if there was a whole new ecosystem down there just waiting to be discovered.

“No, I would not drink this water.” There was a reason why they didn't drink ocean water, more so than just how foul it smelled and tasted. “Do you recognize any plants out here?”
^^

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
07-28-2021, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 02:38 AM by gerra. Edited 1 time in total.)
Hotaru listened with an ear flick to her mother's guidance. She supposed it was possible the plants did not take any of the salt from the water too. It would support why so many flowers and plants grew over here, although it was kinda strange that a glacier was all that separated grass from snow. It was a common pattern she was beginning to see around Tsukiishi. This place just didn't seem like it followed the same rules she knew back home. Just as their mountain housed blossoming trees in the cold peaks these flats had flowers and berries galore.

To her mother's inquiry, the girl's lavender gaze would follow the roll of the glacier. She had yet to explore near the foot of the ice rock, more intrigued by the flowering growth across the way. If all of this can grow up here I'm sure there's something growing at the edge. As for what she did know... well she had a bit of an advantage from her previous trip out. Mhm! There's a lot of common plants here along with some berry bushes. I think raspberry and blackberries are the most common. Dandelions, daisies, umm... She tilted her head scanning over some of the flowers trying to see what else she could list easily, though most of her claims weren't exactly nearby to spot right away.

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
07-29-2021, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 02:38 AM by gerra. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
In all honesty it was hard for Reiko too to make sense of it all. It was all speculations to try and make sense of it, to put some logic into what may as well be magical - but with some semblance of an explanation came comfort as well. Same with Hotaru, how would she feel if her mother never knew any answers to anything? Even a lie or a guess was better than always replying with "I don't know". As a mother, she had to have a certain air of certainty - and as an Empress training her Princess to take the lead eventually.

“Maybe next time we can both go look.” A little something for them both to look forward to. The path would be much more treacherous and so it would take some time before Reiko felt comfortable with her daughter going down - but better with her than with no one. Perhaps they will take one of the guardians with them should something happen. A lot of preparation would have to go into such an adventure.  

Hotaru perked up at the inquiry about the plants, naming off a few berries and possibly forgetting that she just admitted into being here previously without her mother at her side. Reiko simply smiled, letting it wash away without a second thought. Hotaru was her child after all, and if she took anything from Reiko, it was the wandering spirit filled with curiosity that brought them to the furthest reaches they could go.
 “Have you ever seen belladona?” Hotaru was getting the hang of berries and medicinal plants, but was she aware of the dangerous ones as well?
^^

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Medic
07-30-2021, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 02:42 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
Hotaru gave a nod to her mother's words, her eyes drifting to the sloping rock and ice that would ultimately lead to the glacier's base. It could make for an interesting journey, but one that could wait for another day. Maybe by the time they decided to go down, Haruki would be back with them to come as well, though that might have been too hopeful thinking. So as her mother continued, Hotaru would follow allowing for the switch of topics.

Belladona? No, what are they? It must have been something amongst the clearing or else why would her mother bring it up? The name sounded more like a flower than a root or bush, but there were more than a handful of flowers here she did not know.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
07-30-2021, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2021, 09:47 PM by Reiko.)
^^
“It a plant that eventually offers berries. The flower is a beautiful purple while the berry itself is as black as a moonless night.” Slowly she wandered the gardens to see if she could find one as she did before... where was it the last time again? Oh shoot so much for taking a mental note for later like today. “They are very toxic and often used as a poison - I am told they taste delicious and sweet.”

Of which was so confusing and frightening. Normally toxic things were bitter and unpalatable, turning noses to avoid being devoured and saving lives... but belladonna was unique in that aspect. “As a herbalist and possibly a medic, we must know of the medicinal plants and the toxic ones too should one of our patients ingest them, or at least know to avoid them.” Continuing, she would explain why it was important to share such a frightening plant (especially with someone like cough cough @Sully among them cough cough).

“I have never used them myself, but I was told before that some have successfully used belladonna medically.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Medic
07-31-2021, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 02:42 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
The berries her mother spoke of were unfamiliar to her, though luckily it seemed she had not crossed them before. Granted, she wasn't the most avid berry eater, but it was good to know the dangers especially when they grew so close. They can be used to heal? How would you use them if they're so toxic? She supposed applying them like a paste or ointment might work since digesting them seemed to be harmful, but why wouldn't they be toxic absorbed from the skin?

And...what if someone does eat them? Is there something to counter the effects other than...expelling the contents? Or would it be too late in that case too? It certainly wasn't a pretty picture, but she knew by now not everything in life was. It would be better to know now than regret not asking later should she need the information.

the staff team luvs u
07-31-2021, 05:14 PM
^^
How does one use belladonna to heal? Even Reiko would like to know. It sounded too risky for someone who was all about taking the safe route when dealing with the sick and injured. “I am assuming you can in very small doses... but the risk is not something I am willing to take.” Especially used on someone who was already sick. Why not just take the safer route with more routine treatment?

“Eating belladonna is a very difficult one to treat. Internally it kills organs, they would have to expel it immediately. We can treat the side effects, keep them hydrated, but the rest is all up to their God.” There were certain internal things they couldn't be certain of, but what was clear is that beyond their stomachs there was more damage that could not be dealt with traditionally (kidney damage, nerve damage, etc...). Essentially she would not give up on them until their heart gave out.

Wandering the gardens her eyes found the signature bell shaped flower. Trotting up to the plant, it only took a little while for them to find it. Which was both concerning as its placement near their lands - but also relieving now that she could show her daughter the dangerous flower. [font]“Here, they are mere flowers now but their fruit will come.”[/font]
^^
the staff team luvs u
Medic
08-01-2021, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 02:42 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
A grimace found her face as her mother trotted to the blooming plant. She too felt like it would be foolish to use such risky medicine, especially hearing that the only solution was to pray once the damage had been done. The pale girl had been at the mercy of the gods once before and she was uncertain rather she believed anyone was really out there listening. She had been fortunate, lucky at best, but the same could not be said for others.

What of the flowers? Are all parts poisonous or could we pull them before they bloom? What better way to avoid a deathly berry than getting rid of the plant? She wasn't sure where they would take the flowers burying them would likely just lead to them sprouting, but if they could throw them far from here, or perhaps in the snow where they would shrivel then they would have no reason to fear something so dangerous and close.

the staff team luvs u
08-02-2021, 01:15 AM
^^
“Every part of the plant is toxic. From its flower to its roots.” Such a powerful plant was breathtaking - which can also be taken in a literal sense. It was also terrifying, one simple mistake and there was little they could do within their powers to aid. There were some plants and berries she would be confident in treating with support medicine and hydration and yet belladonna felt like an illness far beyond her reach.

“I would remain far from them and try to educate all you can to steer clear. To dig it up and get any on your paws would be too dangerous if not washed properly.” What if they got the oils on their claws and fur during such an excavation? Would water be enough to clean them up before they bathed themselves traditionally with their mouths? Accidental ingestion would be a tragic loss of life.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Medic
08-04-2021, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 02:43 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Once more the girl's muzzle scrunched up at the premise of such an easy accidental death. What gods let something like that exist? Unfortunately, it seemed that removing the plant wouldn't be in their options, not now at least. Maybe later she would find a way to easily dispose of them without touching them, but until then she would just have to follow her mother's advice.

What of the good? It felt bitter to sit around and talk about death all day. Surely the meadows had more in store than that. What plants should I take if I'm in the area? never had she really wandered away from home, but things had changed since they arrived here wherever they were. If she was going to go off exploring then the least she could do was bring back something for her time away.

the staff team luvs u
08-08-2021, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2021, 03:29 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
As much of a terrible topic it was, Reiko was pleased to know now that her daughter was aware of the deadly berries. To avoid them at all costs and was now capable of warning others to make sure there would be no mistakes anytime soon. At least now with the knowledge passed down, the change of conversation came at a good time.

“Due to where we live, I would suggest collecting as many blooming plants as you can as they come. Dandelions, coneflowers, daisies, even some berries if we can manage to dry them properly for storage would be good.” They were lucky to have any near by within the Tundra region. Although every herb was precious as they could find, but flowers were short lived and useful when found. Their buds and middle parts were rich in nutrition, as the roots and leaves could be brought back at almost any time.

“Other than that we should keep an eye on our storages and replenish them as we can.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-11-2021, 04:10 AM
permission to close

As her mother listed away, Hotaru did her best to make a mental list should she need to remember the information later, and knowing her mother, she would. Most of the plants they needed were ones she was already familiar with and had seen around the small meadow so collecting them or recognizing them shouldn't be difficult.

There was little to add as the empress carried on, so she would simply nod and follow as her mother pointed out various flowers and plants. As far as the princess was concerned, Reiko still had no idea she had been out here before so she would pretend to take in the new information as they went before ultimately calling it a day after walking the entirety of the garden.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top