Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
passing day.

Afternoon Rain
AW
Empyrean
07-15-2021, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2021, 11:53 PM by Desdemona.)
someone she hasn't threaded with before?
@Dirge @Osiris

How it poured down the mountain in the afternoon. She could feel the soft patter upon her short pelt, and only moments later did the drizzle grow heavier and heavier. As now the route before her was covered in the heavy rain, she could longer take the same path. It was especially dangerous for the mountain itself to have a downfall, as one slip can make someone fall down, or likewise, a mudslide to happen.

She found shelter underneath a rock, and awaited for it to pass.

the staff team luvs u
07-16-2021, 05:46 PM
Parting from @Hydra, Dirge had begun to make his descent along the various mountain ridges when the rain had started. Though it had seemed gentle at first with the warm weather, it soon turned from a cool, steady rain to something a bit more cumbersome to deal with.

He dipped beneath overhangs and along towering boughs where he could to stay out of it, but it was to no avail. It soaked him sure and swift; distantly, he thought he heard a low rumble of thunder somewhere off behind the towering, cloud-shrouded peaks. The path ahead of him grew hazy, and the intensity of the storm seemed to gather its strength to shower them all more heavily.

Spying another outcropping with an overhang, he moved towards it with calculated steps, only to find that he wasn’t the only one who had thought it a safe place to wait out the storm.

“Desdemona,” he said, “have you room for another there?”

quick n dirty post to get this in my log

the staff team luvs u
07-28-2021, 05:32 PM
The rain pattered on, jade eyes zoning out as she heard the lush fall. She had zoned out, eyes simply watching throughout as it poured harder and harder. Her thoughts drifting, a maze of wonder to the life they so held. Peaceful in so, she wondered when life would flourish so. Her mind drifted to the moment where another, whom name was not forgotten, had tempted her with the thoughts of 'marriage,' to secure an allyship. For Hydra, the white blurr would claim, for their prosperity..

Thoughts interrupted by the sound of Dirge, her body shuffling to the side a bit to give more room for the large man as she nodded, "It's raining hard."

the staff team luvs u
07-29-2021, 10:31 AM
“Indeed it is,” he said as he slipped beneath the overhang. His head ducked low to keep from smacking against the stone above and despite a somewhat cramped position, he pulled his tail around his toes. Though he knew Desdemona well enough, he didn’t care to crowd her or to be crowded. Hopefully the storm would pass soon enough, as common as summer squalls were.

“The paths were becoming a bit more slippery than I cared to travel along,” he went on then, “but at least we don’t have to worry about it flooding suddenly up here. Funny enough, I didn’t think it would rain today.” It had seemed pleasant enough earlier, almost nary a cloud in the sky… but how things changed in the blink of an eye.
the staff team luvs u
07-29-2021, 07:25 PM
"I would hope a mudslide would not appear." A main worry that came with this - especially as the alpha mentioned of slippery slopes. She too didn't want to risk walking in such uneasy paths, but if anymore mud came to be.. A risk that always came to a mountain, even if was rare, sometimes that part disturbed it. Born and raised in a forest, now used to the mountainous terrain, there was still times she couldn't help compare that adversities that came with this land.

the staff team luvs u
07-30-2021, 05:49 AM
“I would hope it would take more than an afternoon deluge to cause one, though I suppose we’ll find out,” he rejoined, though he knew it was a very real concern to have. Mudslides, rockslides, avalanches… mountains certainly had their bouts of peril to them as if the heights weren’t enough. They had been fortunate thus far, however, and he held fast to that optimism that their luck would not run out yet.

Looking to her again, he posed another question.

“Were you patrolling before this?”
the staff team luvs u
08-26-2021, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2021, 12:26 AM by Desdemona. Edited 1 time in total.)
"I would hope the mountain doesn't have a history of it." The truth that it was despite now claiming long to the nameless mountain, they held no history pertaining it, and if it had a foresaw fortune of any natural tragedies. She couldn't remember if there was any in Moonspear, besides the well-known fact it's view was like no other within the lands. Even the mountains here could rival that fact, but it still brought a wariness.. If the underneath was not as stable as they felt it.

She nodded to the Alpha, "were you as well?" their conversation was a lackluster in a sense, but a gentle atmosphere of idle convo.

the staff team luvs u
08-26-2021, 10:53 AM
He too hoped the mountain didn’t have a history that involved any sort of mud or rockslide. There were various crevices that ran deep among caverns that he had not explored, but truth be told he hadn’t found any particular indicator that suggested it was prone to misfortune. But time would only tell and as it were, mountains were like any other landscape feature—the weather would do to it as it wished, and the earth would act in accordance as it wont to do.

“Not exactly,” he said, lips upturning in a flash. “I was with Hydra. I had intended to head for the borders until this deluge though, perhaps venture along the river to see if anything’s new.” Of course he imagined now that the river would be swollen with the rainfall, so even that idea was better left for another time, and he rejoined his own statement: “But perhaps I’ll save it for another time and head northward after this. I assume all's been quiet today?”
the staff team luvs u
08-26-2021, 10:04 PM
"It has been quiet since we claimed here." Everyday, it was but another peaceful endevour, and the occasional loner that strolled by. She could remember the few that then joined their bunch, and were not someone that was familiarity of the past. Though the majority continued to be those of the past land, and some part of her wandered who else would continue to come to their group, and who new would join? It pleased her to see more pledging to the Alpha's, just as Desdemona is doing.

"Do you remember, the troubles we had in Moonspear?" as a moment of silence had passed, the guard spoke up with a soft voice. She had noticed some had faded memories, though her tended to be at a fine level, though hazy at times. She couldn't remember particular names at points, but she did remember the last troubles they held before disappearing from that land.

the staff team luvs u
08-31-2021, 08:37 AM
Quiet was a good thing, he had to remind himself. Yet it was hard to lose the sensation that they were merely waiting for something to drop, something that would shake and jar them like things had before. To be plunged into another about of rockiness that refused to end—he did not want it to be so, though in all likelihood he suspected it would always be a possibility. It was almost as though their peaceful times were like the stillness of a lake just before the drop of a stone broke surface tension, and then? Ripples and waves, over and over until the percussive splash had lost all steam and settled, only for another stone to break through whatever serenity held them.

“I remember some,” he said with a pause of reluctance. “I know there was something going on just before we came here, and I remember some of what had happened before.” Vague statements, if only because he could not quite piece together the order in which certain events had occurred. Many of them were simply too far back and outside the realm of his own concern. Others he simply did not care to recall. And then of course, there were the things that he really did not remember well at all, even down to questioning the validity of what memories he did hold.

Vengeance came to mind as one of them.

“I try not to worry myself about them, honestly. What’s done is done and hopefully over with… I’ll take the quiet for now until things change,” he concluded, and another peal of thunder chased his words like an ill-timed omen. Dirge knew that he would do his best to keep them out of trouble if he could, but even he knew that he could not be in two places at once. If it were to happen, it would, so long as it did not perpetuate itself.
the staff team luvs u
10-04-2021, 09:33 PM
this musty LOL, possible wrap?

"I too, enjoy the quiet." Some part of her couldn't deny that she was saddened, how everyone else seemed to lose their memories beside herself. She could remember it all, her banishment from her home, to Morningside, to the shadow of her brother.. Then that of a feeling of abandonment, as all had left that maplewoods. She could still feel the hurt that there was, a man who had abandoned the pack to chase after another, and the slowly digression that there was of leadership. One attempted to take control, but even after all that, her month of returning ; all had left. Some part of her thought she was to blame, but even months of waiting and some who came.. But wouldn't return.

She grew resentful, but then moved on.

Then all the hardships that were to follow ; was she the only one that would remember it all? Was the rest simply but cursed to forget, or did they simply want to forget. When she contemplated this in a rousing downpoor of emotions, she grew silent alongside him, and but a peaceful walk for the two.

the staff team luvs u
11-12-2021, 05:43 AM
you can fade with your last post if you want

Had he known that she had recalled it all, he may have thought to delve deep into what she knew. But the spark did not come, did not set alight the notions that would put such things into motion and thus they sat for a time in that silence. The quiet that they enjoyed went much further than the absence of conflict or other ill happenings; the sky, despite the downpour, did not rumble further for a spell. On the heels of it in minutes to follow, the volume of rain began to taper noticeably and Dirge let out a quiet sigh beneath the cramped space of the overhang.

“Looks like the storm’s letting up finally,” he commented.

He didn’t wait for her rejoinder, instead slipping out from beneath their rough shelter to shake the damp from his coat for what little it would do. The rain hadn’t stopped by any means—it was simply a force of habit—and at the end of such he had once more set his gaze on his darker haired company. The ghost of a smile turned up the corners of his mouth briefly as an idea came to mind.

“Care to join me in a patrol?”

Perhaps they would see how the mountain fared after the storm.
the staff team luvs u
11-18-2021, 08:29 PM
She gazed to the sky as the darkened clouds lightened, a beam of sunlight coincidently shining down upon the two as she squinted a jaded gaze toward above. The rain pattered slowly until a quietness hit the earth, but the small droplets from the tree remaining in this forested music box. She could see from a distance the clouds rolling away and but a reminder of white crossing to their own sky, an indication the stormfall was over, but perhaps would return for another day. Her tail flickered, as she moved outward to stretch her cramped legs.

Desdemona nodded to the Alpha — and joined him on his patrol

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top