Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
If I could approach you

Late Evening Overcast 68° F
P
Discovery
07-13-2021, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2021, 09:15 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)

^^
A few days had gone by with the Warlord dragging the barely conscious messenger back to where he had come from. The battered and beaten body would be surprising if he survived, even with @Siberia's handiwork in fixing him up. All they needed was for him to survive the trip, once across Elkshire's border with breath still in his lungs, he was their problem.

With the clouds shrouding the light of the Waxing Crescent above, no light penetrated into the gardens that welcomed him and his near corpse into the Queen's lands. The blossoms have faded from the trees in spring, soon they would bear fruit of their own - but another scent lined the woods, one equally as sweet of flowers on vines. Such a place was far too beautiful for a creature such as himself, especially with the sight of him dragging another by the scruff with little care for his wellbeing.

He made no attempt to howl for the Queen just yet, if she were near, they would cross paths. Otherwise, he would call her at their borders as per usual - as he would with any of his allies. For now, he would continue to bring Flynn along, saliva staining the coat of the once clean and honourable man.
^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
07-30-2021, 05:00 PM
It was no secret that the Queen enjoyed the woodlands. They brought a carpet of red- strangely at one point blushed in purples but changed into the wonderous tones that it was now. A curiosity if they would be like that next spring as well, but alas, she held a favoritism to red flowers compared to the purple. Now grand in size, plump to the brim, she was almost to be ready, someone expected to drop any soon. 

A surprise that it was the same man provided such an abundance in her belly arrived, and not without another. A dubious brow raised as she watched the nightmare boss enter her realm, a man carrying someone that was newly beloved as well as supposed to be on a mission. She had wondered what had occurred to be caused so late, yet the messenger, Flynn, was known to at times wonder off to his own amusements. She would not mind as long as the message was given.. Yet it seemed something else had happened.

A bent down to sniff the man who was alive, yet seemingly just unconscious, "What happened?"

the staff team luvs u
07-30-2021, 07:32 PM
^^
Muscles ached as he dragged his parcel to her lands for miles, one pull after another with little rest in between as his muscular frame pulsated with pain and excitement from being used to their absolute limit. Perhaps if the reason for this was different he would have been in a better mood, and yet, here he was ready to defend their story of what had happened. At least the truth was in their favour this time and there was no need for him to spin some kind of web of lies to cover up their tracks.

Vengeance was never opposed to lying to gain the favour of another - but the truth was always easier to follow along. So when he could use it, he would.

With a final grunt he dropped the basically-a-carcass Flynn to the ground, spitting up some of his pale fur as a tongue rejected them from being swallowed with a displeased flicker to rid it of their presence. Célnes was quick to make her appearance and approached to investigate the messenger she sent. “After delivering your message, he went mad.” The brute began, slowly speaking as he recalled the moment with disdain in his words. 

“Spewing hate filled words before running into Blackwood and off a cliff when my followers were called to stop him.” A look of chagrin was tossed at the man crumpled on the ground, lips twitching as skin wrinkled along his nose. “Anyone else would not have been granted such mercy.” Rubies shot back to Célnes, assuring that she knew their alliance was more than just words thus far. Anyone else would not have seen the light of day.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
07-31-2021, 05:15 PM
Retribution had hit the man as he laid on the ground unconscious, perhaps a bit hurt but he did not seem entirely harmed. She understood his words, for Nightwalkers would not exactly let anyone go that easily; and it brought a sigh to the Queen, a disgruntled image on the dealing of.. Flynn. "It seems he has been unrest since my upcoming months," though it was not an excuse. A shame as she promoted the man, albite it was temporary, but it was something she trusted him by.. Not to, become of this.

Though the title would remain for now, as she needed someone to trust to keep an eye on Elkshire while she nested. At least she had also promoted others, and while Flynn was to be trusted to determine certain ones holiness.. The exclusion of white wolves, the others were far more reliable in terms of defense. She didn't know at the moment of Remus was doing guard training between the three, "he'll be disciplined."

The Queen would no longer send the man onto messages, especially if this were to happen again. Especially to the Nightwalkers and Vengeance himself, and in a way, she internally thought it was an amusing case. Not for the outburst he had created, but rather Célnes did not like the general Calligula, and now the man did not like her Royal Guard. An alliance that seemed so unsteady yet had a firmness that came from a mutual desire of ruling and the like.

She then called for @Remus, and @Meissa to take the body. The male guard would do well on treating Flynn from his mess.

the staff team luvs u
07-31-2021, 06:01 PM
 She was summoned but she was not far, always roaming the borders.

The soldier entered the scene and surveyed it, going frozen solid as she saw her friend crumpled on the ground, bleeding and unconscious - with the queen and a stranger facing each other off. Having never met Vengeance - though if she had, it likely would have been the same - her mind immediately went to the worst situation possible and she leaped forward to stand between the very pregnant Celnes and Vengeance, standing over Flynn, her eyes locked on the man's. It took a moment for the smell to hit her and her ears twisted back slightly at the stench.

Ah. She remembered that stink.

Was this the man who had put pups in Celnes? His jaws bore the blood of the man she cared for most in the pack and still not knowing the situation, Meissa was not too pleased. Her body was poised to defend her queen and Flynn if there was need, though her face and form were rigid, eyes focused on the man. There was no snarl, simply an intense focus. “My Queen?” she said, eyes never leaving that which she believed currently to be a potential threat. Her words had the questions she dared not use energy to ask:

One: What happened?

Two: Who is this?

Three: What do you need me to do?

Not wishing to let latent emotions shove their way to the surface in front of a stranger, she appeared a silent guardian, poised to do whatever her master instructed even when her heart was on fire.

the staff team luvs u
07-31-2021, 06:19 PM
Remus arrived shortly after Meissa, he got there in time to allow the female guard to do most of the talking. He figured most of the explaining would be done in due time.  The barbarian was here. It was that same reek he carried. 

Another meeting of wicked beings. Somehow Flynn had made a mess out of himself.  This felt like a prisoner transfer of sorts.  What had his comrade gotten himself into? Nonetheless, Remus' expression did not show any concern for his comrade, at least on the surface. Flynn was a broken mess. Un-doubtably this is how their barbaric neighbors treated visitors, he shouldn't be surprised.
the staff team luvs u
08-01-2021, 02:08 AM
^^
“Do all your followers question your decisions King Célnes?” He taunted with a devilish glint in his eye, hinting he was humoured by this possibility that she didn't have as much of a tight hold on her realm as she thought. Certainly there were more than one who opposed their unison. Many might have preferred someone within their ranks than some monster who roamed the temperate and tainted their ranks with his genetics.  

But was that not Célnes' decision on who she chose this year? Was he not bound by the laws of nature as a man to give a woman what she wanted when approaching a man during her time? Vengeance made himself grin with the thought.

The King called for her followers and it would take only a moment for them to arrive. So before they would appear, he continued. “Remind them that even if we are allies, boundaries are to be respected.” He drawled, tone flat without a hint of aggression. The man was annoyed but not with Célnes in particular, so he was careful to not bring such a thought to her head. They can't have both packs just wandering beyond borders and feeling too comfortable among one another now could they?

Especially if secrets were to be kept.

Soon enough her followers came. One with stains of white upon her - which was surprising knowing the King's beliefs - and who dared to stand between the Warlord and the King as they spoke with fire in her eyes. Blackened lips tightened at the sight of her, annoyed with her intensity as muscles stiffened. At least the next to arrive was much more relaxed. “Célnes, this one is quite ugly for your kingdom, is she not? The white is quite unbecoming of you and your beliefs.” He spat. If she was to bring fire to their meeting, he would not ignore the hostility he was greeted with when bringing back one of theirs.
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-01-2021, 04:15 PM
Only a smile to her face and no comment given; the Queen knew how defensive her wolves were toward herself, especially as the upcoming months were given. Surely though the two that came knew who the man was, especially as the smell had lingered on the first night, and the clue was casted to them. The Father. How wicked she chose such a man where flies stem from his pelt, and the musk of rot and death hung to the air. Even Flynn seemed to have it grasped tightly to his pelt from the 'scrabble' of what he had done.

She looked over to Meissa in particular, as most likely she was not aware of the faces of the alliance; Célnes knew Remus had met him once, "Do not fret too hard, Vengeance is the boss of our ally, the Nightwalkers; we are close to them." A confirmation of so, as she wasn't truly keeping it a secret on who the man will be, but said no names. She didn't really know his stance on how he felt toward them, but she wasn't on the thought to make him a standing father-figure, especially as the man already abandoned two. Unspoken between the two standing pillars of temperate, but yet it tied them together in someway besides their meager alliance.

"She has proven to be a worthy royal guard," despite the unholiness she may, and the oddity of her features.. The Queen valued her, "she will learn appropriately," but to appease him so, she had a glance for both of her guards to stand down their stances. A rudeness that could spark even more, she wouldn't want to lose over such pettiness.

"you're men as well though.. Calligula, was it? Quite a foul-mouthed man to be banned from here." They both held wolves that tended to be rather disliked on both sides. He was free to not be interested in her two, one that was disruptive, the other in a guarded stance that the Warlord was not impressed by. Though she too was disgruntled by his men, especially the white wolf who spoke so sickly of her religion and parted so rudely. She had there forth banned him from the forest of Elkshire, and mentioned so.

"Remus, educate Flynn.. Thoroughly once he wakes up." A glance to the male beside, an order to be given as she expected the two wolves to pick up the sullen man and to depart, "I hope they do not displeasure you too much, Vengeance."

the staff team luvs u
08-02-2021, 01:19 AM
Remus exchanged a stern glance at Meissa, checking to see if she had kept her composure after hearing the barbarian's insult.  The stern look served as a warning as if to tell her to keep her cool.  It really had nothing to do with her, this was a little pissing contest between two corrupt power mongers. Still though, the barbarian was acutely aware of how fragile this little Elkshire gang really was, after all he had a point.  His home was a loose band of wanderers, and wasn't much of a kingdom sworn to Celenes. 

"As you wish, your highness..."  He replied, taking up the boy by his scruff.  Remus unceremoniously and with ease began to drag Flynn back to the heartland of Elkshire where he would be 'educated'. 

Remus and Flynn out.... unless some shit goes down, then he come back

the staff team luvs u
08-02-2021, 03:03 AM
 Remus's concern for her reaction was unnecessary - she did not respond to the foul man's insult, well enough used to them.

It was funny, though, a man of such stink to be insulting her for looking different? Surely, if he left his pelt in that state, he would soon grow sores and mange from it. Perhaps he was infected already - she stepped back at her Queen's order, standing by and watching. She was a war hound, a soldier, and despite her ugliness, she knew her worth. It wasn't beauty, wasn't fitting into a little box to impress anyone with a bat of her eyes and a flip of her tail.

It was doing her job.

And, evidently from the praise given, Celnes saw that worth as well.

So, with a respectful nod in the direction of the Queen and Vengeance, she would depart, assisting in carrying Flynn back by gripping his tail and lifting so his legs would not drag upon the ground.

Exit

the staff team luvs u
08-03-2021, 06:54 PM
^^
He couldn't care less of what Célnes thought of her own follower. To let one stress their alliance with actions and words to either of the leaders should be seen as taboo as far as he was concerned. Regardless if they liked one another, respect was to be given to solidify the alliance and not risk a war over a minor dispute. He had brought back one of theirs alive despite the transgression, and for that he should have been thanked. For that, his expressions and feelings did not change on the white backed woman, only fading away as she and the other man took the unconscious Flynn away.

With a dismissive flick of his ear, he wouldn't comment on whether or not they displeased him. This alliance worked in their favour and he would ignore minor bumps in the road for the sake of learning their place - any more however and he was certain to do more than just drag them back half-healed even. The next would be mangled by his own fangs, after that... they would never return. Simple as that.

Now was onto another, speaking of stressing alliances. Ruby gaze hardened as he heard of his banishment from Elkshire, was it purely for his coat colour? No... she mentioned a foul mouth on him as well. “Tell me, what happened between you and him?” As his second in command, Caligula should have known better than to come over here and pissing off the Elkshire King. 
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-03-2021, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2021, 07:09 PM by Célnes. Edited 1 time in total.)
She was thankful for her guards cool-head, taking Flynn and returning to the depths of the forest. She trusted the two would find the appropriate medics ; as the abundancy of those were roaming around to the help. Not to mention when he would wake up, the appropriate measures she did not have time to properly take against him. Only days away, would the woman find herself through her first birth, and the terrors of the forest to fully enter. Célnes would not forget him, nor' his choice of words.

"Though the man seemed curious on the Déorwine religion, his questions turned to insults, especially to myself. What was it that he said? 'a gatekeeper seems unable to practice what she preaches,' as well as 'many would sever ties with a queen who threatens a man for being curious,' it seems he does not think highly of our alliance." The Queen was someone who acted on revenge, pettiness to be exact on those who wrong her in such ways. She however could not exactly touch a man so close to the boss of Nightwalkers, but she could express her displease on not only twisting words from a direct ruler, but inkling how she saw it, someone who did not desire their truce.

"Ah but of course, he had left before I had mentioned his banishment." To turn her back on him.. A purposeful insult.

the staff team luvs u
08-04-2021, 01:27 AM
^^
Certainly neither did Vengeance fully respect their laws and beliefs. To turn their noses up at those with a certain pelt colour and believe it had any significance was beyond him, that and their religion in general - but he thought little of all religious beliefs in general. For Vengeance, he believed in what he saw. What he saw was the power in strength, how well it carried those to live long and prosper. Even those who believed in more passive lives still had the strong there to protect them as guards... without strength, none would live in this cruel world of theirs.

But that didn't mean he would risk what was currently working in their favour for something that barely affected them. “I see.” A pause as crimson eyes shifted from her and toward the woods to his side, casting a casual eye with a mild shrug after a moment of thought. “What he thinks of this alliance is unimportant.” It was strange, but it worked for what they both needed. 

As much as he would like to take the Temperate alone, all for his own - their numbers were too small to do so alone. At least with Elkshire in the wings, their dream was more plausible. Granted only time would tell with his greed, but in this moment, he was honest in his thoughts about it. “I will speak with him, and remind him of what is important. Should any of mine continue to vex you, let me know.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-04-2021, 02:58 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2021, 02:59 AM by Célnes.)
"I would hope so." She valued their alliance, despite often feeling the man was hard to read on what it was. He was a monster in all forms, from the first time she met him and even know, he was someone that was hard to control - nor' would she try to, it was but an endeavor from one ruler to another, and she knew such talk would not be at ease. Preferring the pinnacle of what their alliance was, a gain for what they both desired ; power. A paw in paw, and a ruling of the forest, she did not mind the thought of splitting this temperate land.

"As we are on the matter of you being here - within a few weeks after they are born, an event will be held. A celebration of life, decoration of flowers toward the females, and of antlers toward the males.. A hunting feast, but not elk nor' deer allowed. I formally invite the Nightwalkers to join us." Though they were aligned, it was truly only the two rulers who mostly interacted, and the occasional stray on both lands. She didn't know the extent of her own wolves knowing theirs, and thought maybe, a chance for a connection between the two.

Even if he may not be involved in the children she holds - the celebration can ease their wolves more to neutrality. She would tolerate his white devils, except Calligula, for the meanwhile.

the staff team luvs u
08-05-2021, 10:12 PM
^^
With that conclusion he was ready to walk off and deal with Caligula as requested. But there was something more that had to be added. What Célnes brought up was confusing, why would she invite him to such a festivity that seemed more... not his type. "Celebration of Life" especially came off strange to him.

To celebrate life when he was often the one to take it away. Rip the light from their eyes and breath from their lungs as opposed to blessing the new. Even his own brood the man didn't think much of them until they were older, more capable to fend for themselves and be useful to the pack than a bunch of food sucking sacks of flesh themselves.

For a moment he pondered the invitation, only to eventually give in with a heavy sigh blown through his nostrils. “Very well. We will bring a boar in a few weeks. All will be welcome while Caligula can remain.” The strangest things he did for the sake of alliances. They were his children after all, to a certain degree. “Anything else?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-06-2021, 05:19 PM
"We will be waiting." A pleasant conversation, where the pregnant woman got her frustrations off her chest. At least for the moment the odd bond they shared would remain, powerful allies were always a pleasant substance that in a previous time, she was voided of. Another time though she would like to expand those chases, beyond the complete reliant of this warlord, especially as he already mentioned he knew far more packs then she did..  He kept it a secret, and wouldn't go further upon it.

With a shake of her head, she would see Vengeance off. Unless he held a comment - there was a few questions of the involvement of the litter, but both sides remained silent on the matter.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top