Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Lilac wine, I feel unready for my love

Afternoon Sunny/Clear 23° F
P
Discovery
07-13-2021, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2021, 09:26 AM by Rhys. Edited 1 time in total.)

^^
After discovering the little garden not too far from where they settled as a home, Reiko would often come to visit the herbs and flowering berries to see what she could find. Every so often she would be surprised to find another herb she didn't expect to find here - and yet knowing they were cold resilient it made at least some sense to her that they would grow - but to thrive was still surprising.

Tip toeing across the frigid landscape of the glacier, the cold sensation was still rather surprising when in comparison to the snow. Quickly she crossed, surefooted and swiftly until finally she found the grasses on the other side. Only slowing down to look around and investigate the greenery this time with more focus.

Happily she plucked a few of the herbs, chamomile and mint to dry and bring home for when winter would put the herbs even found here back into a slumber until spring. They were lucky to have found such a place so close by, Reiko would make sure not to squander it by not using their blessing to their full advantage.
^^

+1 discovery

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
Discovery
Adventurer
07-13-2021, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2021, 04:56 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
Quicksilver's absence had not changed, though it was not the reason for her journey this eve. No there was another thought that tickled her mind. Reiko. The woman to the north that had once come looking for her lost children. Now she planned to settle just beyond the mountain range atop a condensed summit of her own.

Needless to say, she was curious.

Ira found herself wandering early one day, early enough that she decided to go beyond her own borders in search of answers. What kind of pack would be settling within range? Reiko hardly seemed like a threat, but her naivety may pose as a danger. She trod quietly making her way to the frozen tundra, though before she reached the mountain Ira must have been off from her previous path just enough to come across patches of green and flowers...that somehow found a way to bloom so far north.

Had this been here last time? That was a silly question, it must have she probably just skirted west enough to miss the large glacier that separated the meadow from Tsukiishi. Luck would be it that she came this way though as she caught sight of the pale woman just ahead pulling at some leaves. I see you aren't one to sit at home.

+1 discovery

the staff team luvs u
07-13-2021, 06:51 PM
^^
Pluck and bundle, she would prepare a nice easy to carry package with carefully picked greens and medicinal parts of certain plants. Some roots, some stems, others were leaves. Perhaps another time she could take Hotaru here to come try out the berries, the edible ones of course, and show her other herbs that they might not have encountered until now. But first, she had to know more of this region before bringing her daughter here.

As she placed another small bundle on the growing heap, cerulean caught sight of a familiar figure approaching in the distance. Ira was becoming an easily recognizable sight, and a surprise to se here. “Greetings Ira.” A little wave of her tail, even if she felt wholly inferior to the woman, Reiko didn't hold any grudges or discomfort around the roan woman.

“Uh uh.” Shaking her head in response, honestly she didn't think she was wandering all that much but perhaps she was... hopefully never too far from home. Not that she noticed. “Hopefully if I wander here and there my son will catch out scent and follow it home - that and there is much to do to make our mountains home.” Patting the little bundle at her feet. “Starting with some medicine while the weather is relatively warm here.”

Turning her eyes and attention back on the roan woman. “Although... I could say the same to you.” She teased lightly. After all, it was Ira who was making most of the travelling lately.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Adventurer
07-13-2021, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2021, 04:56 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
The roan woman's eyes fell to the bundles at Reiko's paws. A heavy collection for sure, though most of it and its uses were unknown to her. Just another thing Vanderfell craved...a healer. Blessed be the gods for not sending harm their way yet, but it was hard to truly say that with Quicksilver still out and about. For now. I've had business that required me to leave the claim. Like you. Golds flicked to meet blue, though her expression was rather empty.

It is fortunate to have such a bounty at your doorstep. I don't suppose you have named this place too, have you? The distance was a reach, but still close enough that even Vanderfell might be able to make use of this...garden of sorts, so long as Reiko did not begin fiercely guarding it. Last we spoke you mentioned settling. I came to learn more. Though the distance is a bit of a stretch we are still neighbors to be.

+1 discovery

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
07-13-2021, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2021, 09:29 AM by Rhys. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
Here she could see where the mountains met the snow. A clear division drawn by the large terrain of salty ice and snow just sitting behind them in the near distance. As Ira spoke, Reiko listened. She had business to attend to here, and the Empress sat to listen as to what it may be. If she could assist in any way. She could do little to help in regards to Quicksilver, but perhaps this could make up for it.

“A name... I am not quite certain of one yet. I had only found this place a day or so ago.” But frankly she hadn't put much thought into it. Perhaps something simple and to the point would be an idea.

The topic naturally progressed further as Ira showed curiosity in their group. What kind of curiosity that may be she could only hope was one on good terms. They knew where the other lived and all had been well with each meeting the two women had. And so, Reiko had no reason to withhold anything. “I am honoured.” Of course it was for the reason of knowing who was settling close enough by for Ira to wander to and from to meet with the pale woman. 

“We call ourselves Shiroshika, after the pale deer of my homeland I grew up with.” She was a mere puppy back then, but her memories were undeniable. “Is there anything in particular you would like to know?” So she didn't talk Ira's ear off for the next few hours by rambling on subjects she may not care for.
^^

+1 discovery

the staff team luvs u
07-13-2021, 09:38 PM
Even Reiko had just recently found this place. How interesting given its proximity, perhaps she had not been as well-traveled as she once assumed. Ira stuck the name given to the back of her mind to save for later. Shiroshika, that one seemed easier to enunciate than the mountain she claimed. Something she would silently be thankful for should they become allies down the road it would be embarrassing to not even be able to pronounce the name of the pack.

You may start anywhere. Just the selling points are fine, how the inner workings of your pack operate is of less concern. Most likely they would be peaceful or keep to themselves, that's the air that tends to radiate off Reiko. She did mention in passing that the mountain would be a crossway for some, but that spoke little of their goals.

the staff team luvs u
07-13-2021, 10:04 PM
^^
To start anywhere... But not the inner workings of the pack itself. The young mother took a moment to think. Pondering where to begin and thankfully it didn't take long before her eyes sought the warm hues of the High Queen. Excited to share what she was trying to build here.

“A home.” Just as she did with Tiberius, she started simply. “A place to welcome those in need of a place to rest, food, shelter and help. A pack where you may forget the past and start a new.” Something many she had met during her travels were doing regardless. Starting over. Some more lost than others. 

“I wish not to demand loyalty from those who wish to find a more permanent residence elsewhere better suiting for them, but for them to remember our kindness and return it in time.” Kill them with kindness would be her way. “Even if that kindness was returned simply with peace.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-14-2021, 11:23 PM
The Empress began, though simple in nature her words painted enough of a picture. They likely would be close like a family, though one much more lenient in which paws came and left. Once more Ira thought she may be foolish for trusting so freely, but it would not be her shoulders that were burdened by the decision. Reiko was an adult much like herself, she could make her own decisions.

Sounds like a quaint ideal. Have you any goals? What strengths do you hope to brew amongst your kind? For some it was obvious. Hydra sought fangs and muscle, Valeska friends and spirituality, now with another at her door Ira couldn't help but wonder just where she might fall. Reiko would bring no threat, but what opportunities were left for Vanderfell?

the staff team luvs u
07-14-2021, 11:44 PM
^^
Goals? Did many packs have more goals than to just find safety in numbers? For a safe place to raise their young and flourish as one, as wolves among a trusted group. “Yes.” Perhaps she did have somewhat of a goal. It was small, maybe nothing too grand like some might desire. “Peace.” Very simple indeed. But not without some weight behind it.

“In my past life, where I obtained my children - life was cruel. I made some terrible decisions, I was soft and blind. It brought chaos to our lives.” She thought back to Haruki and Hotaru's fathers, to all those affected by her blind trust in change To see the good in the awful. Sometimes, certain wolves just don't change - and she knew that now. 

“I am changing the traditions I grew up with, and hope that all may find tranquility so long as they reside with us. Currently I seek guardians for my followers, individuals who can protect the weaker members.” It was why she extended the invitation to @Tiberius when she did.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
07-15-2021, 01:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2021, 04:57 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Perhaps the pale woman was not as naive as she once thought. Or maybe she was, but not so naive to not see trouble when she looked it in the face. Those that traveled with her now, they were family, friends, survivors. They were weak and without guard.

A guard would be the best place to start then. A viable goal. I see. While I can not relate, I believe I understand. However, I suggest not telling others you are weak when you introduce yourself to future potential allies. You never know who you can trust until the time comes to stress those relations. Something she had to keep in mind often these days...with Vanderfell's low numbers and wolves who so freely crossed her borders it was difficult to show strength.

Perhaps there will be a day when we too are allies. Keep in touch Reiko.

exit here??

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top