Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I'm Not the Only One Who Finds It Hard to Understand

Afternoon Sunny/Clear 65° F
AW
Elysium
Adventurer
07-13-2021, 02:56 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 01:05 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
 @Valeska or @Amaranth maybe? Can be anyone from Elysium though she's just doing a quick check

Since the roan woman's visit up north, Ira had wasted no time turning home. Concerned as she may be, irritation seemed to outweigh her reason to care. If Quicksilver had up and left permanently that was his choice, she would not go on a wild goose hunt for someone who might not even be trying to return.

Even still, the last clue she had was his return in this general direction. There was one group of wolves conveniently next door and on her way home, so here she stood at the edges of the respite. Since her last visit, the borders had been doubled down, the evidence of a pack clear as day, but there was still no scent of the one she was looking for.

With a tip of her head, Ira called forth for those she knew as leaders in hopes that they might know more than she. Once her call had fallen, she would wait patiently until someone arrived to answer her questions.

the staff team luvs u
07-23-2021, 01:06 AM
Fate's Respite was a large enough territory, but calls rang far and clear as a bell, bolstered in part by the glassy surface of the lake that bounced further still off the mountains which loomed overhead. The silver wolf perked up from her nap in the shade, swinging her ears back to better pinpoint the location - and sprang to her feet at once. Vanderfell! Ira, at that, which was a surprise. She hadn't seen or heard a whisper of her since their initial request for residence at the base of their lofty home, though Valeska certainly wouldn't have minded having the regal woman over for dinner since then. It just felt... wrong, somehow, to even set foot near Fate's Summit, and Valeska rarely ventured more than a few steps up the slope if she could help it. Ira had been polite but stern, and she dared not incur the wrath of one so fiercely protective of her territory.

Heading north at a quick trot, she could distantly make out the sharp silhouette of Vanderfell's leader. She did cut an intimidating figure, even from this far - Elysium's High Priestess, by comparison, looked more like a stubby hobbit covered in far too much hair to be caught wandering anywhere outside of a tundra. Valeska seemed to be surrounded by tall, elegant women with long, lean legs nowadays, but given her newfound relationship with Amaranth, she couldn't say she minded it. 

It was a beautiful afternoon. Songbirds flew pretty loops overhead, but the small wolf had little time for such frivolities now; Ira hadn't sounded particularly displeased by the tone of her summons, but there could be no delay in her arrival. Alpha herself though she may be, it was respectful to be timely when such a rare guest showed up on one's doorstep.

"Ira!" she called from afar, quickly closing the distance between them. Upon reaching the lady whose brows remained perpetually knitted, Valeska smiled warmly and dipped her head slightly in greeting. “You honor Elysium with your presence! Is good to see you again. May I ask, what is occasion?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
Adventurer
07-25-2021, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 01:05 AM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
The roan woman would wait, but she wouldn't need to long. Valeska, eager as ever to speak, was making her way quickly with an excited greeting. In return, she would give a tip of her own head, though she could not share her excitement currently. I am happy to honor you, though I'm afraid this meeting is under less joyful occasions. Not joyful at all really. I have come looking for a man, he is one of my own, but had departed some time ago.

The fact that he had left on his own with no more than a howl promising return wasn't needed knowledge. It was borderline disrespectful the way he avoided what would obviously be her questioning his motives for leaving. He is tall and looks much like yourself though his eyes are pale. He had no name when he awoke so he chose the name Quicksilver. Well...she had indirectly. Ira wondered if he remembered some of his past, perhaps that was his reason for leaving.

I don't suppose he passed this way or you have heard of him? If he never came back this way then tracking him down would get a lot more difficult. Elysium was close and followed the path that Reiko had seen him depart in, but if he went to the west there were no groups she knew of that may have seen him on his way.
[/color]
the staff team luvs u
08-01-2021, 08:13 PM
While this wasn't the tea party she had hoped for, the opportunity to at least be of some use would suffice. Valeska did recall the man her guest spoke of - tall, willowy, and absolutely frightened to bits when she had made her appearance. She remembered vividly how he had sunk to the grass, tail curled up beneath his stomach as if he might shrink away into a mouse. It was bizarre. In her lifetime so far, Valeska had rarely seen displays of submission turned toward herself, and the experience had been jarring.

“Yes, he came by,” she replied ponderously, glancing across the hill toward where they had met. “Found him rummaging in herb garden here, but he was very... ah... skittish? He did not know of Elysium, but that is well. We had brief talk, said he was scouting, and then he suddenly disappear. Very odd wolf, which is much coming from me!” She chortled good-naturedly, fully aware of her quirks and the impression she left on others. Still, it was troubling that Ira hadn't heard from him since then - it was raining that day, so any lingering scent would have been difficult to trace even after their short interaction if she had chosen to follow. All she had caught was a glimpse of his retreating backside as he hurried toward whatever lay beyond Fate's Respite to the north.

And now it was long gone.

“I am sorry I am not much help. Last I know, could catch faint trace of scent heading north before rain washed away. I do not know much of what lies past our mountains, but if you have not seen him... I worry,” she said, her tone growing serious. “I would be pleased to offer scout to assist in the finding of your Quicksilver, if you intend to send search party. Buckeye is keen and quick, and I am sure she would love chance to use her skills.”

'For something besides mischief,' she sighed inwardly.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-01-2021, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 01:05 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
The mountain queen had expected a quick trip at the slopes of the mountains, a check to say she had tried and carried on her way after hearing the news that Quicksilver never made it out this way after his travels north...but she never expected that Valeska would have actually crossed him. Ira blinked, a stretch of silence carrying out as she mapped out the weeks in her head. It was before he had reached Tsukiishi.

Then she might have been back at square one after all. I see... She drawled glancing to the distant hills the priest had looked towards. I apologize for his intrusion, he left unexpectedly before we met. Which could have been solved if he once again waited to speak with her before departing. At the very least, Elysium was not the kind quick to anger and it seemed that his mishap had not changed the views of Vanderfell in the process.

You have been helpful, thank you. I know where he went but lost his trail after he departed. I do not think further assistance will be necessary. She already was not willing to waste her resources scouting the man, let alone a neighbor's pack. She could have left there too, but it felt rude to leave so suddenly with inquiry only benefiting her. She looked back to the smaller woman, she had always been friendly it would be in her best interest to keep that door open. What of you? Elysium fairs well? Quite some time had passed since they last spoke, but they seemed settled now with borders strengthened.

the staff team luvs u
08-04-2021, 08:21 PM
From the bottom of her well-meaning heart, Valeska hoped Quicksilver was alright. He had seemed timid and almost entirely unfit for traveling on his own at their meeting - not that he wasn't a capable warrior, but he seemed... vulnerable, perhaps, was the word. While the Elysium Alpha was small in stature, she was built sturdy and unafraid, and most of life's problems could be confronted with a brave face and a loud voice.

Both of which she possessed in abundance.

Though Vanderfell's leader declined the offer of help, she at least seemed to appreciate the offer, which tasted like water in the desert. By the gods. Perhaps she was warming up after all.

If Ira had desired to leave promptly upon gleaning what little information she could from the smaller wolf, Valeska remained perfectly tone deaf, and was all too thrilled to continue the discussion - and more than that, answer questions. Delicious questions.

“We are well! My sister is now married to Singuli... Sinigul... Alpha of new ally pack Eventful Horizon, and we have great feast in celebration,” she answered cheerfully, her face lighting up. It pleased her to see Harper so happy for once, although she now spent much of her time away from home to no doubt bond further with her husband.

Also, she wanted desperately to add, Amaranth had overcome some of her emotional constipation and they had entered a magical new relationship together, but it didn't seem like quite the right time to talk about that. “Otherwise it is well! Every now and then have desire to explore what else is outside borders for answers to this place, but have not had the time, and do not think it would be prudent to leave. Tell! How is Vanderfell?”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-04-2021, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 01:05 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
As ever, Valeska seemed excited by her presence, something she chalked up to the woman's personality and not her reaction to her own. The conversation shifted with ease as the priestess went into detail about her sister's marriage and growth between....packs? Eventful Horizon she could only take as the pack belonging to Crux, though she was surprised to hear he was now married to someone from another. What does that bring for Elysium then? For her marriage meant moving in with the spouse if you came from different packs. A way to unite and strengthen bonds or allyships, but it might not carry the same meaning for Elysium.

I'm surprised you have not traveled. If she recalled correctly, Valeska woke up here in the respite. Surely she must have been curious about what laid beyond her borders? Though she couldn't complain fully if it meant she continued to abide by their deal. Speaking of— One of your women found themselves up the mountain. I see you've been growing, but next time it may be best to give the tour before the title, no? It was clear she was unbothered by the instance...this time. Luckily for her, Nevada had some manners about her to spare.

the staff team luvs u
08-05-2021, 10:52 PM
Truth be told, it was a question she didn't quite have the answer to yet. What did her sister's marriage mean for Elysium? She had asked Harper to split her time evenly, at the very least, but since their union she had been little else but a distant scent on the wind. Valeska hoped her days spent far from their land were meant for their honeymoon, but nothing formal had ever been discussed on the matter and she didn't feel invasive enough to howl for her just yet. It had only been a week, at most - they deserved that much together in peace.

She recalled that Ira probably erred more on the side of where she would remain, however. Valeska saw vividly their first meeting in her mind's eye and the leader's policy on alliances being forged through the exchange of bodies rather than oaths. She knew it was an old practice, but it wasn't one she thought was necessary - not when she had thus far lived a life free of conflict with other packs. Ignorance, as they said, was bliss.
“We have arranged for her to be able to travel freely between packs, without hindrance or harm. I trust Eventful Horizon - Crux seems like good man, strong of character. He is good for Harper, and she is...” she cracked a smile, picturing her feisty dark wood-witch of a sister. “A wild woman. Do not believe he will be bored or betray her company.”

As Ira shifted the conversation, the silver wolf couldn't help but agree with her statement. Odd indeed that she hadn't traveled - but she really hadn't the chance. So focused on finding her friends and family from the wreckage of Before, all she could think to do was set down roots so that they might once again have a safe haven to retreat to. Her packmates came and went much as they pleased, but Valeska felt it her duty to remain as the patron saint of Fate's Respite and its healing waters.
“I woke in hot field to east of here after dying in Land Before. I... you know, I am not so sure,” she replied quietly, shifting her eyes up toward the slopes that crossed over into the tundra beyond. “Maybe still could. I miss the snow, the ice. Beyond mountains to north. Long to see the great expanses of white, to fight frost-ridden storms up treacherous peaks. It makes me feel...”

Her eyes sparkled, for just a moment. “Alive.”

Valeska ventured a question. She knew next to nothing of the roan woman, and she expected no warmth or closeness beyond genial relations at their borders, but she felt it rise up in her throat and spill out before she could stop herself.

“What makes you feel... alive?”

The worst Ira could do was say it was none of her business, anyway.

“Oh, gods, Nevada,” she exclaimed, snapping from her short reverie. She had taken great care to ensure most new recruits knew that their venturing beyond the scent of Vanderfell's markers was punishable, but the lovely, soft-spoken woman must have slipped through the cracks. Valeska breathed a sigh of relief to hear no malice in Ira's voice. “It is entirely my fault. Have informed others, but our meeting was quick and unexpected, I make mistake in hurried ignorance. Many apologies - she is good lady, and I am grateful you gave her safe passing.”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-05-2021, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2021, 02:14 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Ira listened carefully, though she could not be sure if her ears deceived her at the moment or if Valeska's accent had lost her. Travel between the packs, that much she understood. It was common for those married off to visit home now and then as well as a check-in with the pack. It's how alliances stayed so secure since there would be travel between the two already...but, this sounded different from typical travel from home. Do you mean to say they remain apart? How could that ever work? If they loved each other then they should be together.

You do not fear what this man might do with his wife away? Or what his wife might do when she was away, but she knew better than to say as much to the woman's sister and leader. Crux seemed decent in their meeting, but she did not truly know the man. There was room for loneliness or betrayal in a relationship so new. He may not be bored in her company, but as I have seen it men get rather bored alone.

What came next also surprised her. She was almost certain that the wolves of Elysium woke here, but now it seems the story had changed. A hot field? I have not seen such a place. Nor did she truly believe she had died despite the claims of some others. Her memory of before had its fog but she knew what to expect of the end. I feel I might understand. The mountains are similar in such a way. Narrow ledges, steep slopes, and great winds can make survival daunting...but it is all more freeing. Perhaps that is just the adrenaline of danger though. Not that she ever wished for war, but she recalled a similar feeling when she had been put in command of an army. The thrill of being alive and staying that way.

Do not worry about her, she has already answered for her wandering paws. She may have trespassed, but she acknowledged her wrongs. Displeased that it happened all the same, at least she did what not all would. Ira couldn't say she wasn't interested by her origins either.

the staff team luvs u
08-10-2021, 06:48 PM
To be fair, as accepting and accommodating as the High Priestess could be, even she felt the initial jolt of surprise at hearing of Harper and her husband's plans for married life. While it remained to be seen if things might change, the arrangement seemed to work for them - who was she to question love, whatever form it might take? She herself had taken the plunge into a grand new adventure with Amaranth, undefined and unfettered, yet bound inextricably by an invisible tether that never saw them apart for long.

Yin and Yang; the sun and the moon.

She could not in fairness expect Ira to understand with her strict adherence to tradition; some things simply were. Like the sky, like the rivers, even the way birds took flight.

“From what I hear, Crux is not... how you say, man of tradition? Believe he and sister do not plan to only have one spouse. Forgive, am not clear on private affairs, but it might be that they take mate in other places, too, so... probably not bored,” she explained haltingly, trying to figure out the easiest way to put it. She was certain there was a word for the arrangement - a very specific word starting with a 'p' and ending with a 'mous', Harper might have told her before, but by now the weeks following their union had scattered it to the wind. Valeska sighed. “Sorry. Was explained to me in way that made sense to them, but for me, I am woman of one wolf. Do not think I have attention span that they do.”

She was a little surprised Ira had not seen the Plains to the east of their lands - well, slightly southeast, if one were to be picky - as they had seemed utterly vast and nearly endless in their scorching misery. The little wolf remembered waking and coughing up blood, ribs sore and fur unkempt from the earthquake that had swallowed her in the last life. Most had woken here reborn and refreshed, but she, it appeared, had more sins to pay for in this Purgatory.

Ira did venture to answer her question, at least. Valeska wouldn't have been terribly put out if she had chosen her usual stoicism and bid her good day, but she was quite pleased to find the roan woman dared to waste a little time on their meeting. A fondness of danger, then? Yet she could see it - she could see Ira with all the clarity in the world, clad in the stone armor of her mind, leading expeditions and strategizing battle plans as the blood dripped from her maw, a triumphant queen of warriors and savoring the thrill of the hunt.

It made her smile.

“Yes - it is the overcoming, I think, that is so good,” she affirmed. A little less of an adrenaline junkie herself, but no less enamored by the harsh pursuits of the great wild that lay beyond them, the kind of lands from whence she came. “It is nice to be surprised by oneself. To worry you cannot do a thing - but then you succeed, and you are better, stronger. That is how I feel here. I did not think I would find them again, my Elysium, my friends, my family. And yet one by one, we gather each other up, find each other in darkness and fear of the new, and rebuild better from before. I see it in other packs, too. This place - it makes us new wolves.”

That said, she still wanted to reassure the Vanderfell alpha over Nevada's errant field trip. “But yes. I promise it will not happen again - it was lapse on my part. Am grateful for your generous. Generousness.”

The English language was a journey, not a destination.

the staff team luvs u
08-14-2021, 10:09 PM
Unfortunately old habits died hard with Ira and tradition was something too severely ingrained for her to really wrap her head around anything else. To hear that Crux planned to take more than one wife was...well not out there given the kind of background she knew of him. A man could take more than one wife should he wished, but in her eyes, a truly loyal husband would keep to one. For the wife to also take another, that was another story. As stonefaced as the high queen could be, she still could not help but appear somewhat disgruntled at the news.

At the very least, it seemed the priestess was in an agreement of sorts. No, I find it rather shameful to not show restraint. If you truly love someone, they should capture your full attention. It spoke of Crux's upbringing. True, he had grown up in a wartorn world, but so had she. It seemed he may have been raised by savages to follow such brutish beliefs. At the very least he did not live nearby for him to be much of a concern to her.

Despite being soured by the news, Valeska continued and for the meantime, the roan woman could put her thoughts aside to listen. Yes, a place of new beginnings, truly. There were no other words for it and the gods would undoubtedly leave the call unanswered. When they did speak it was in confusing riddles or prophets, but with interpretations at stake, the true meaning would likely never be known. We must make of it what we will. Build our own homes, our own families.

Alas, it took time and strong leadership. Something they both would have to wait for before their job was complete. I am glad to hear it. I thank you for your time, but I think it would be best if I took my leave now. I'm sure you are also a busy woman. Still, she would linger a moment's longer to ensure that the priestess was truly done with her before she would take her leave.

the staff team luvs u
08-18-2021, 05:01 PM
As it seemed that Ira was ready to depart, Valeska politely let the conversation reach its conclusion. The Vanderfell woman was not one for small-talk to begin with, nor did she seem particularly inclined to have friends for the sake of them - she was very, what was the phrase? Ridden or death? No. That wasn't right. Ride or die?

Some saucy adolescent had told her that phrase once. It was probably Buckeye, but they had been traveling together for so long now, everything felt blurred together at this point.

“Well, I hope you find your Quicksilver,” she replied, nodding her head by way of a goodbye. “He was very nice. Let me know if you need anything, am happy to help in future. May your quest be fruitful.”

Smiling good-naturedly, Valeska turned and departed for the treeline.

{Exit}

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top