Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

See You Next Fall

Early Morning Partly Cloudy 53° F
Vanderfell Woods
07-06-2021, 05:48 PM
Edmund

"But if I try to make sense of this mess I'm in
I'm not sure where I should begin
I'm falling
I'm falling..."

Edmund began to regain consciousness. Blackness surrounded him, but his sense of touch came first. Or lack thereof. His limbs felt like they were limp, pins and needles stabbing through em which conflicted with the cool slab of stone he felt underneath him. Was he laying on a rock? Slowly, he opened his eyes. He would immediately regret the decision. Red pupils dilating as his eyes quickly widen from shock. The first thing he saw was how far he was from the ground. The scenery of the ground below almost seemed painted. Slowly turning his head to look at his surroundings, seemed he was laying on a fairly thin cliff point, belly-first with all his legs dangling in the air. A more anxious wolf might have struggled, scream, panicked. While Edmund was shaken up from the sight, his calm level-headed nature had him remain still as he thought of the best way to edge on back. After a moments pause, he tapped his paws on the side of the cliff, trying to get the blood flowing back in them before he slowly started to inch backwards. Not the most graceful-looking way, but he was not ready to become a pancake just yet.

The minutes felt like hours as he slowly backed up, but he began to notice the cliff edge thickening, and soon enough his back paws were reacquainted with the ground. Edmund still wasn't satisfied enough with that progress and kept slowly inching back until he felt he had enough room for his front paws as the jagged cliff was turning into a plateau. Now the tricky part. Feeling a tad nervous, he gathered his hind-legs together as he tried to put all his weight on them, lifting up quickly to use himself as a see-saw to get his front legs in the air before putting them onto the ground in front of him. It was messy, he wobbled, and the pins and needles in his front paws almost made them give out from underneath him. But somehow, he made it out okay. Taking a shaky breath, he wobbled further away from the edge before collapsing onto his stomach again, this time in a much safer situation though. "What a rude awakening..." he thought to himself, the anxiety turning into sharp annoyance.

Briefly he pondered how he get all the way up here. It was illogical. He had been asleep next to his sister Verene...Verene! Suddenly fear, true unbridled fear entered him for the first time this morning. Where was Verene? His sister and best friend. "Verene? Verene!" He started to call out, fearing for safety. Getting back onto his feet, he began to search the mountains for her. He had been far up, but if she had fallen he would have been able to make out her body. Not that he would entertain the possibility of her life expiring. Losing his cool and awareness, he continued to call, not paying attention to his surroundings and getting a little too close to edge of the plateau cliffs once again.
the staff team luvs u
07-06-2021, 08:34 PM
Orlaith didn't understand the concept of 'wisping' into the world. When she had arrived, the woman was simply 'walking' for a while, not realizing the terrain changed quite a lot, and if she retraced her steps, the path she took would no longer be there. No one has told her, and if they did, she found the concept so out there, most likely she forgotten.

So when she heard a voice calling forth another, the guard could only think of trespasser. High on guard did she start to skulk through the moments, a narrowed, forest look through the path as her keen eyesight looked carefully around. Nose touching so, sniffing the person who stupidly decided to enter the territory and even call out another. A blaze through the mountain tops, scorching to the bottom as she growled through the echoes, "Halt!" did Orlaith call out. 

"You are in Vanderfell territory!"

the staff team luvs u
07-07-2021, 12:06 AM
Edmund continued on searching, not caring about the noise he was making. If he had been in a more calm state of mind, perhaps he would have been more prepared for the animal that practically blazed a trail up to him. He was almost startled enough to slip off the edge when he spotted the blur that barked at him to stop, but he really wanted to avoid repeating this morning's event, and thus he managed to keep his balance. It was a wolf, large like him, heights similar but she was definitely broader though, her appearance unique to the wolves he grew around. In fact, her fur reminded him of a phénix. "You are in Vanderfell territory!" He assumed her squawking was just as loud as one too. Edmund found his hackles instinctively rising at the intense response as he shot her a glare. He was not in the mood for this today, but his mellow nature helped balanced his temper at the very least. She was claiming this to be Vanderfell? Did they kidnap him, and or Verene?

Murmuring a gruff "Quoi de neuf (what's up)," with no true meaning, he spoke with a sour tone, doing his best to at least sound civilized. "Steady that flame Phénix, I come from Débrouillard. I woke up here and now I am looking for my sister, Verene, looks like me but paler with blue eyes and a stupid pink nose. Have you seen her?" He introduced himself while asking of his other half's whereabouts. Deciding to push for more information, he added in quickly "Vanderfell...is your pack, no?" He was incredibly suspicious of this wolf, red eyes never leaving her, his body somewhat tense, dreading the worse to come from this.
the staff team luvs u
07-08-2021, 08:03 PM
Her face contorted in a notable disgust. She hated dealing with others who couldn't speak the same language, it was such a bother to try and wrap their head to what they were saying. Half the time she was simply going with it and possibly nodding along, trying to figure out the general idea of what was said.. But it annoyed the hell out of Orlaith. She snorted a bit with a sigh, as gradually her face went to a more 'aggressive neutral, narrowed look.' She wasn't pleased.

"I dont know any of those names, only that yes, you are in my packs territory." Her eyes rolled on simply 'awakening' within the mountain. It drew back her mouth to an even more snarl though, as it to Orlaith, that would mean they had tresspassed without anyone noticing, and slept on the mountain. There was also now the issue of seemingly, another wolf roaming. She would have to report to @Ira on that issue..

the staff team luvs u
07-09-2021, 11:32 PM
Her similar bitter attitude was starting to gnaw on Edmund's patience. There was not enough room for two grumps here. Though her words were brief, he appreciated the bluntness. He almost thought she might have been lying for a second, but everything from her just screamed a lack of amusement and or care for him. But to not have heard of Débrouillard, something was up. He was too alert to be separated from Verene without a fight, waking up in an unrecognizable area with no memories, away from the isles he called home and in the mountains instead. With his pack's identity not known by the locals (granted he's only met one wolf for now). Something beyond his understanding had happen, and he had to think fast. Forcing his fur to lie back down as he wore a more relax expression, he gave a quick but small bow with his upper body. "Ah, je suis désolé (I'm sorry)," he apologized before realizing he should just switch to the full-on common language as he noticed the look in her eyes. "Apologies for the misunderstanding, I am still learning the area and what is and is not acceptable."

He paused for a moment before taking the plunge. "This may seem étrange, but is there any possible way I could be of use to your pack? I rather spend my time to be of use to a cause than the safety of lone purgatory. Any initiations you desire from me I will pass with flying colors." He finished with a slow blink of his eyes. Was he trying to find something to cling to until he got leads of his sister's whereabouts? Yes. Did he mean what he said about assisting them to the best of his abilities? Also yes. Edmund was not stupid, he knew it was better to have a footing in this strange land than just shooting around in the dark for any signs.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
07-10-2021, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 02:55 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Orlaith would be in luck, it was common for Ira to patrol these parts and the sound of voices drew her near like a beast lured by blood. Most of the conversation had been whispers, nothing but noises, but it was the last that made it to her ears.

“Apologies for the misunderstanding, I am still learning the area…”

“Is there any possible way I could be of use to your pack?”

”Any initiations you desire from me I will pass with flying colors."

A grey ear flicked as the High Queen turned a corner, her guard and an equally tall man stood before her, though she could only see the pale one from the back. It seemed that the phoenix had been first to greet him, perhaps not just in her claim, but of this land as a whole. 

Ira’s gaze moved to catch Orlaith’s, a silent look saying that she would take over from here, And just how might you be beneficial to us? What skills are you hoping to offer? Afterall, she couldn’t test him at his best if she did not know what his best was.

the staff team luvs u
07-15-2021, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2021, 12:00 AM by Orlaiths. Edited 1 time in total.)
Suppose she calmed down a bit, more or less feeling awkward as now the man apologized, and even asked if there was anyway to join the pack. When she sat with a huff and scratched behind her head in a rather annoyance - for Orlaith wasn't really sure what to do at that point. The God's seemingly had descended upon down though and save the rather aggressive warrior on how exactly to be nicer, and to entice a better way to induce them so, for the High Queen has arrived!

And so Orlaith bowed out by scooching a lil' more behind the other, a small tip to Ira, a small tip to Edmund, and now she sits.

skippable! LOL

the staff team luvs u
07-16-2021, 08:39 PM
Slowly, Edmund turned his head around as a new voice entered these hills. Red meeting gold. A tall blue-gray female with an almost regal appearance, scars poking about in places. There was an air around this new stranger that suggested of an importance. While Edmund did not like or want to come to conclusions quickly, this wolf had to have at least been a high rank of Vanderfell, judging from how the Phénix seemed to relax and respect her presence greatly. Only when the Phénix sat down did Edmund turn around fully to confront the other, practically scoffing at her question.

"I mean what I said previously. Call it endurance if you will, I have the motivation and perseverance to accomplish anything for the innocents that is adjourned." Sounding quite vain for a wolf that had such a low opinion on themselves. And maybe he caught onto how he must have been sounding and that he was not really answering the question. To be blunt, he was avoiding it, when talking directly of himself his skills did not seem true, his inferiority-complex getting in the way. He was not useful or special in anyway, he just had to have a positive attitude and help those that were better than him. Thus he would rather talk of his determination of the greater good.

If she was sharp, she would tell by the slight grimace before his next words that he was not comfortable talking about himself. "To be more specific, I excel at guarding I suppose. Nothing misses my eye, I know where all are and will give body and soul to protect. I have experienced fighting as well but I dare not claim a level of expertise. I'll just say I fight well enough to be hated and also not to be dead yet." He finished somewhat aloof. He really hated this kind of stuff, actions spoke much louder than words.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
07-16-2021, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 02:55 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Without missing a beat, Orlaith moved aside to take a seat. Whatever favors she had done in their previous life must have been strong to garner the respect Orlaith had for her so fast. Then there was the other, a young man of creams and black who stood just above her own height. He scoffed, almost cocky in his answer if not for the mannerisms that followed. The roan woman simply raised a brow, her eyes looking over him once more while judging his words carefully.

So you wish to be a guard. Ira couldn't complain about that. Soon a time would come where they might wish for other talents, but she would never be foolish enough to turn away one who can protect his own. His words did not bring full comfort though, there was hesitation or uneasiness in his voice which left room to believe he may be lying. Of course any pack would want strong wolves, it made a valuable selling point, but only if he truly could hold his own.

Ira stood silently gauging her options before she turned to look once more to her guard. Orlaith. Test his claim. Should he hold his own he may join. As she spoke the last sentence her eyes shifted to the reds of their guest, looking for his own confirmation before continuing, Try not to spill blood. This is a friendly challenge.

the staff team luvs u
07-27-2021, 03:12 AM
Another guard.. There was a nod of approval from the flaming one, as always warriors were needed. Though she had a particular way of treating them so, as there was a hierarchy she demanded to be answered! While Ira was ontop, Orlaith felt she would always be beyond them so - and thus, her own orders to be listened. Very much someone who desired control, yet strangely attached to the commander from the previous life. She knew there was a blood debt, but couldn't exactly remember what. Wasn't much to think about for she was satisfied being in a pack, serving as some type of warrior. 

"Oh yeah?" Then suddenly when zoning out, simply imaging herself leading them all in her own glory, Orlaith wagged her tail and looked at the man with a smirk, "hell yeah." 

Being a bit stiff, she gave a rather exaggerated stretch, a grand one, properly cracking the joints that came with. Padding a bit back, she was waiting.

the staff team luvs u
07-30-2021, 05:06 PM
Edmund found himself shrugging his shoulders and sighing at the situation. A duel was about to take place now. Can't be helped though if he wanted to make a good impression. He was trying not to think of his value, trying to keep a clear head from all the negativism that weighed on him, revolving around his potential and abilities. The Phénix, who he now knew was named Orlaith, rose and got into position. She was much more excited for a scrap than he was. It didn't take a skilled eye to see this was a wolf who was confident in her strength. Well hopefully he would please them. He found himself casting the silver wolf a nod, a silent acknowledgement and agreement to the situation before putting all his focus on Orlaith.

"My name is Edmund. Let us hope this will be satisfactory." He said in a deadpan tone to Orlaith before taking a step forward and getting into position himself. His front legs bending, causing his head to lower as his rear was in the air, a sprint position of sorts. Adrenaline beginning to fuel his body, yet it never took over his brain, a dead, calm, and cold, feeling did instead. A type of antipathy that shielded him from the minuscule variables that caused others to lament, to lose their cool. He could absolutely not rush this. From what he had observed so far from their initial meeting, his opponent had a fiery ambition, or perhaps it was just confidence, maybe both. That would be her greatest weakness against him if he played his cards right. To keep his cool, water versus fire.

With those few split-seconds, he became devoted to his plan before preforming a single sprint to close the distance between him and Orlaith by a tail-length, ready to react to her moves. He would not do a fully charged assault on such an opponent. He was on the offensive, ready to dodge and look for openings, to see what makes her tick. He would try to avoid a full-on assault/wrestle-match as long as he had the space to.
the staff team luvs u
07-30-2021, 06:02 PM
He seemed disappointed with the task, or perhaps that must fight. A guard at heart but one who'd rather see things through with words. Either way, he had asked to be tested, so she would naturally challenge him. As Orlaith took her stance, Ira would step back to sit and watch. She needn't say when to start as Edmund took his stance then closed the distance.

Ira may be skipped until the conclusion of the spar!

the staff team luvs u
07-30-2021, 06:13 PM
She was totally gonna try and throw him over the cliff.

Would she succeed? Most likely not, but the attempt made it all more sweet and simply fueled her adrenaline to finally do an imitation fight, something that the guard was especially all for. One could even see her paws doing a small tippy-tap dance if paid attention to enough, but she tried to make it subtle. Only when he was approaching in their 'circle' fuelded fight did she properly duck below. A tail swishing to cover the most important bits and a head hanging low, a caution toward any neck grabs that could be.

Though, she didn't move her body lower like most would. Rather, Orlaith was quick to charge! She thought the other might be doing the same, but with her head shining the way; the woman was going to do a killer headbutt straight into the man.

the staff team luvs u
08-02-2021, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2021, 10:12 PM by Edmund. Edited 1 time in total.)
Edmund found himself continuously sizing up his opponent during the delicate dance at the start. It wasn't a shocker to see, but his opponent definitely knew what she was doing. Optimism was at a whole time low with each second flashing by. As he did the sprint to cover distance yet leave space, it would seem that his caution would be his downfall. She just kept charging head on, caution thrown to another world as she lowered her head and continued her assault.

Edmund was taken quite aback, which could be indicated by the widening of his eyes. Trying to think quick and go on the full defensive for an unimaginable blow, he found himself tucking in his neck and lowering his head to protect said neck, which would be his fatal mistake. Orlaith's confidence turned his cool collected activities into steam and his head collided perfectly into her own due to the tucking. The sound of impact was loud, blasting his ears from the inside of his head as throbbing hot pain traveled through the few nerves surrounding the skull. The pain was not the problem, the dizziness and motion-sickness he suddenly felt from his cranium getting shook was the biggest drawback.

Perhaps a small concussion taking place, his ears begun to rung like a church wedding as his motions became disoriented. Thinking he was wobbling backwards to create some space, Edmund had instead accidentally stumbled far to his right. The limbs on his right flank suddenly standing on nothing but air as he realized with dread he had stumbled near the edge of the plateau, trying to react, he tried to lean back the opposite way, arguably saving his life as it caused his body to swivel around with a little tumble, switching his lower half to be hanging from the edge instead as his upper-body scrambled to stay on precious ground. Still disoriented, he was struggling. He wasn't expecting those nearby to help especially after his previous bravado and now ungraceful combat.

Maybe his father had been right about him being a no-good anything. This may be the end. It can't be, not until he makes sure Verene is okay. Edmund found himself opening his mouth, whether to ask for help or to scream was unknown.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-03-2021, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 02:56 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
The roan queen sat quietly expecting a normal dual, but...well Orlaith had other plans. Untraditional in every fighting method ever, the woman charged akin to a bull with no breaks. Edmund had prepared himself for the offensive, but at some point, there were just some things you can't avoid. That much became clear to him quickly as he tucked his neck, a moment's hesitance being all the difference as the large warrior plowed into him.

The man stumbled, though as his paws drifted Ira found herself moving to her feet. He was heading for the edge. Tumbling off the side, he was lucky to even catch himself, but it was just enough time for Ira to tear by, fangs snatching the nape as she leaned back on her paws to try and keep him from sliding any further and hopefully aid in getting back to solid ground. It shouldn't need to be said, but this match was over.

He had failed to handle himself, true, but Orlaith was a brute. In hindsight, it would have never been a fair battle even if they rivaled in size. There was promise though...so long as they did not lose the man to the cliffs or whatever internal damage the phoenix had done and was yet to be seen.

the staff team luvs u
08-04-2021, 07:34 PM
By obvious techniques, she held a hard-head. With such a ploy given, the guard looked at Ira with eyes full of 'praise me!' Not realizing such ways caused the man to be thrown off of their stoney mountain. She had a triumphed look, proud and felt all mighty and strong! Surely her muscles flexed in the sweat of the sunlight while dazzled in such a ways, for no one smaller could truly beat the guardian!

"Oh, my bad." 

Only then when the Queen had moved did Orlaith realize what she did was not the best of situations, for the man literally was following off, and the Queen scrabbling to get them. She too followed along, a tail in obvious wagging at the mere' joy of headbutting the lad off of a cliff, but that wouldn't mean she would just let him die like that. If it had to be so, more honorable! With her fangs upon his neck! And it wasn't ordered by the High Queen, so..

She'll help save him, but dragging his other side up.

the staff team luvs u
08-09-2021, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2021, 07:42 PM by Edmund. Edited 1 time in total.)
Edmund was shocked as the silver female came to his rescue. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth right now, as she started to tug at the nape of his neck he made even more of an effort to try and scramble back to flat ground. Progress was being made, albeit slowly and ever second that passed by made the male more exhausted from his excursion. As Orlaith came over to assist she proceeded to pick him up by the-hey, watch where you're grabbing!

With the help of both of them, Edmund proceeded to be dragged back up, sideways due to one holding his scruff and the other above his hing legs around the hips. Now out of danger, the dizzy wolf took a few seconds to breathe before standing back up on shaky legs. Oh gosh he felt like shit, but if he took it slow, his body seemed to be going where he wanted it to go, which was to turn to the front of the two wolves, head lowered. "Thank you for saving me. I am in your debt and am willing to repay in whatever way I can." He thanked his helpers, red eyes focused intensely on the ground. He could feel his eyes stifling, but he refused for any tears to leave, albeit he had quite a dejected expression that spoke loud enough of his feelings. "Though...I supposed you realized by now that does not mean much." He self-deprecated with a bitter laugh.

He lifted back up his head, focusing on Orlaith, he gave her a small smile, a rare sighting from Edmund. "Thank you for the duel, I respect your strength and submit to it."  He did not think he was saved because they accepted him, but rather they were probably just nice wolves that didn't want one to die on their watch that had no reason to. He could respect that. Feeling like he was now overstaying his welcome, he looked at them both and give a small nod, his expression becoming more stoic once again.

"I promise to not take up more of your time and space. Whether you show me the exit or leave me to find it myself, I will make sure to not to tread on your lands and bother again."
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
08-09-2021, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2021, 10:02 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
It took the both of them to haul his weight up over the edge though as soon as he was up he still seemed unsteady. Whatever damage Orlaith had done it was more than just a friendly spar, something that would cost them both for her actions. It was their own doing that he was in this condition and she would not send a wolf to their chanced death after temporarily disabling them over nothing. The high queen cast a glance to her guard as he started speaking of leaving, though before he could go anywhere she'd turn to him.

That won't be necessary. Even if he was not confident in his abilities he put in the effort to try and work for a place in this pack. That would be enough for her for now. You will be staying. True, you did not win, but Orlaith did not fight fair. You will spend your time here while you recover, train under her so you might improve. If you do, then you may stay. That was their purpose after all, was it not?

the staff team luvs u
08-12-2021, 07:26 PM
"I thought it was fair," she of course, had to comment about it. Her usual style was headbutting, the show of strength like to bulls with horns at war. It was always the go to, even though at times her head was in quite a lot of pain later, she often was hardheaded enough where the pain would then simply disappear.  And within her defense! How would she know he was so light, he literally took off and away from the cliff. In a way though she was apologetic, and didn't give too much to Edmund about it.

He did almost fall.

"We can train your strength up," and with glowing pride, especially as he submitted defeat - she offered to do some rough.. and hard muscle work.

the staff team luvs u
08-13-2021, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 12:25 AM by Edmund. Edited 1 time in total.)
Flabbergasted was a fine way to describe Edmund right now. He turned quickly to Ira as if she had grown a second head. "Who are you? You seem like a leader, but assumptions can be rude of me." He asked and stated, wanting to know the identity of the one who was showing him a mercy he was not familiar with. He didn't understand why they were being so nice to him of all wolves. Sure, Orlaith may have been...unorthodox with her methods. However, she still got the win, came out on top and you can't conflict with the facts. But he was humble enough of the loss to want this opportunity badly, knowing he would learn so much to protect those he cared for. Not only was this just a pack he wanted to hang low with until he found his sister, he saw potential, the strength and heart of these wolves. It moved him.

Maybe, if the pack turns out to be as just as they seem, he would just keep his sister here after he found her. That possibility still needed to be considered, for she needed to be in a pack that was safe and good for her. Maybe it was time to not go back home, to leave father. Yet Edmund was a wolf who hated change, there were so many potential problems. Still, the hope fluttered in his heart like butterflies.

He quickly bowed his head again, grimacing from the pain it caused in his head due to the quick movement. "Merci à tous (thank you all)! I would love to take this opportunity if you will have me." He said, a little bit of French slipping out in his amazement. "Just give me a day or two and I'm sure I'll be ready to train and strip some muscle off of Orlaith." He said in a way that seemed joyous yet his face could not convey how happy he felt. Perhaps the glitter in his eyes could. He just wanted to train as soon as possible now.
the staff team luvs u
08-14-2021, 05:57 AM
You would be correct. Though leader hardly spoke of her title. I am the High Queen of this pack. You may call me Ira. She knew not how much Orlaith had shared before if she had even shared anything to begin with. Perhaps he just sought to join a pack and cared little what morals or rules were in place. Foolish in her opinion to walk around so blind, but fortunately for him, they were not as strict or cruel as others may be.

I suppose a tour shall wait until you are more stable on your feet. For now, I'll see you to the communal dens. A glance was cast towards Orlaith with a nod signaling that the phoenix may take her leave now as well if she wished, though she was welcome to return with them. Come, I will answer what questions you have in the meantime.

exit here?

the staff team luvs u
08-16-2021, 03:16 AM
She liked him ; she always liked the obedient ones that can be ordered around. Especially who listen to her, anyone who did tended to give her an unneeded ego boost to her already inflated pride. Though despite such arrogance, Orlaith did at least do her job and was determined to push some muscle into the lad. Though a few problematic traits, she'd at least try her best as some sort of mentor, train a guard of sorts!

Orlaith wanted a praise when that came, her tail already wagged at such thought to come! A dream to be even if Ira sent her off. If wolves could salute she would, but instead with a nod, the woman set off with a slight humming.

She was daydreaming about it a lil' too hard.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top