Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Chilled to the Bone

Evening Fog 42° F
P
Content Warning
06-28-2021, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2021, 11:38 PM by Andraste. Edited 1 time in total.)
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Cannibalism, violence, gore

[narrow width=700]
 The witch strode through the chill, her paws leading her wherever she might decide to go. It was not unusual for her to be roaming, as she had no home and no pack to return to. This was, of course, mostly by design.

She had no desire to be laid bare once again, no desire to have sweet words thrown about, claiming that they could save her or make her strong, or that she could be useful.

It had been a long time since she had cared for being useful to any wolf.

Tonight, she had made herself useful to herself.

A lone wolf, lean and fair, had been caught unaware by the scavenger. She had attempted to woo him, thinking of long lost guiles, and had instead found him to be disturbed by her presence. Even in death, especially in death, she was despicable. No wolf could look upon her with anything more than pity - like the drug addict of the mountains - or disgust - like the two white men of the plains when she had just awoken.

Her fury had bubbled over and she had taken his life, feeling it ebb and flow out over her as she ripped into his throat. He kicked, whined, yelped, and was silent. He would grow cold and stiff soon, she knew, so she dropped his limp form with a smear of saliva dripping from her jaws. She turned and tore into the man's gut, ripping open his chest and breaking his ribs as she dove in, white face bloody red as her jaws closed around his heart and up, up she ripped it, flinging it into the air before she caught it and swallowed it, the juices running down her face and neck.

She turned then and began to devour him, leaving nearly no room for air as she swallowed mouthful after mouthful of wolf flesh.
[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u

“Common”    “Loet'ah (Cheunh)”
06-30-2021, 09:48 PM
^^
Death.

It was upon his doorstep. 

He could smell the blood in the air, it drew the Warlord to the scent like a moth to a flame with hunger burning his gut. The scent that wafted in the mist was none that belonged to him or his little group. No, this was a fresh kill that an outsider dared to claim on his doorstep.

The fury that burned here in the meadows was less so than that in his woods. Their scent was lighter here than that in Blackwood, and yet his territorial ways weren't as lax as they may be for others when it came to their hunting grounds. After all, food and sex were the main things that he focussed on most of the time. 

Cutting through the blanket of white that cascaded over the rolling hills, the brute with thundering paws made a beeline to the scent. The colours of the sunsetting displayed for blinded eyes as he paid no attention to it at all as he focussed on the pale figure that slowly came into his view as he approached. 

A wave of anger flowed through him as fur twitched along his back, coming to life with the sight, sound and smell of a kill that he wished to take from her. 

This was his unofficial lands after all. It was his fucking right to do so.

“Bold of you to kill next to the lands claimed by my pack.” As the man spoke, his head lowered with a snap of his jaws. Demanding her attention. He would not go ignored. And he ached for action as the slithering plume lashed behind his hips excited by the smell of fresh blood.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
06-30-2021, 10:34 PM
[narrow width=700]
 His stink hit her before he was even close. Blood, rot, disgust... her eyes shone with interest at the monster who might smell so terrible and still come running with such a vengeance. How ironic, had she known the man's name. She swallowed her gulps before he even spoke, licking the blood from her maw and lifting her head to look at him pleasantly, as if she wasn't standing over the dead body of a wolf who definitely did not smell of this man's musk. Her crimson gaze trailed across his imposing form, admiring the fury within him even as he snarled and -

Oh, the man was growling a pretty tune.

“I pray forgiveness,” she said, the boy's blood still wet upon her chin, “Where I come from, a pack's claim ends at their borders. This boy - ” she said, pausing to inhale and double check the scents, “He was pitifully weak, would have been a drain on your resources. He spoke of pilfering your prey, your water - of making a mockery of you.” Lies spoken as if they were truths. In fact, the corpse had instead put his attentions on her, thinking her a woman of low expectations. On account of her marred and ripped body, of course.

She was not a woman of low expectations.

The witch licked her lips, eyes glistening as she took a step back and lowered her head, nudging the body towards the defending man. “Perhaps a shared meal would be some penance for my inadvertent crime?” She knew not of his tastes, but if his stink told her anything, she knew he was not a man of good morals. Morality... it was something that twisted and shifted and was used to justify all sorts of things.

If he was, in fact, appalled by her suggestion, then she would figure something out.
[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u

07-01-2021, 12:20 AM
^^
Quickly she turned her attention to him. Speaking sweet words that threatened to calm the storm that thundered around his presence, electrifying the air with the threat of violence. Unfortunately for her, it would take a little more than that. He was a beast of pain after all. All he needed was the smallest reason to act upon his urges, and this... well, this sight he had killed over lesser transgressions before.

“You make a mockery of my pack and myself by believing we cannot defend what is ours.” Where she came from didn't matter. He could claim as much as he wanted, whenever he wanted. He was a fucking Warlord after all. The only thing stopping him now was the pitifully small army he had wandering the woods behind him. 

No borders would cage him. Even if they were his own.

She took a step back and he naturally swallowed the earth between them. Quickly hovering over the corpse and claiming it. Furious eyes daring her to challenge him now as fangs glistened with each word uttered, slowly... carefully. “Shared... You still believe a part of this belongs to you?” Lips twisted into a snarl-like smile.

She was lucky he didn't just lunge now. 

Perhaps if they were within Blackwood he would not have given her any breath to speak her case... here, well... he was lenient enough to talk before snapping.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
07-01-2021, 03:44 AM
[narrow width=700]
 Ah, so the man wasn't as stupid as his sticky pelt seemed to imply? Perhaps he simply did not care for cleaning himself or perhaps he just preferred a fresh roll in refuse every morning. Surely he must itch? She knew if she didn't wash ever, her coat would tingle with fleas and even just the texture of dirt upon skin. Unlike the man before her, whose grime was clear despite his colours, her white coat would not allow for such extravagant filth.

Yet, it thrilled her all the same.

“A mockery unintended, liege!” Andraste remarked at once, “The mockery was from this man - he damn near demanded his own downfall,” Plus, the guy pissed her off and she was hungry, though she wouldn't outright say that much. “Yet I clearly was out of bounds, I apologize.” She wasn't above apologies, especially if it would give her more time to consider this man without his teeth to her throat.

Lord of filth, I've fought and fucked far larger than you. Yet it seemed the wolves of this place simply did not come as big as she was used to. She was about the same size as she had been in her previous hell, perhaps two inches shorter, but the world she had come from had been full of dires, wolves spanning four foot at the shoulder. Each and every man she had paired with had been no less than massive.

Given the circumstances, she figured he was as large as they came here. He was intimidating, for certain, with his savage teeth and the way he acted like he owned the place. He could claim the world, but how much power could one wolf have? He might have an army behind him, but even the largest packs had to have some order to their domain or their grip over it would thin and weaken. A pack could not be all-powerful and all-containing.

Still, he claimed her corpse without hesitation. Spoke of her audacity to claim it as partially hers. Well. It was shared, even if he devoured the rest of it himself - for she would not give up what she had already consumed though she did not begin to believe he would not eat it right out of her stomach if he was so inclined.

Her death would not be at one wolf's jaws, not even a man so imposing as he.

Yet, her eyes gleamed with reverence and interest, though not for the corpse below. “Your share: the corpse. Mine: perhaps to glimpse a -” Not a king, though that was the word that tempted to escape her lips. She tested the titles she had encountered in her previous life. Perhaps he thought himself a god, that might fit, but no. Ah. Yes. The way he held himself, the savagery, even if not his title, it fit. “-Warlord such as yourself consume some of my offering?” The decision of descriptor had taken but a moment, not long enough to even hint at any conniving.

The witch wanted to see if he were truly a man of similar taste as she. He had not seemed disgusted with the idea of feeding on their own kind, so there was a chance.
[/narrow]

Apologies for the slight metagame for his title! I wanted her to say it, that's my only excuse lol

the staff team luvs u

07-01-2021, 04:04 AM
^^
Whatever she thought - he would not bend. The Warlord was a difficult one despite how she might see him to be a simple-minded beast as most seemed to assume with him. Though most were not wrong, there were more intricacies than some might suspect.

After all, a mindless beast could not create allies so easily as he had done thus far in these new lands. Surely there had to be some kind of method to his madness... at least for now. For who knew what the future would hold for such a madman like himself. Did true brilliance hide beneath the grime and violence, or would he simply devolve into a power-hungry animal?

At this time he couldn't be certain if her tone suggested she mocked his stature, or truly understood what she was looking at. Sarcasm was a fickle thing and believing the latter should she be mocking him would only further his insult. So he remained skeptical and did not relax. With every life he had lived before this one, he was always the predator. The one they looked up to or eye-to-eye, but never was he the one to look up to another. He was massive in every right, in every life.

Regardless if the rest of the meal was his to swallow whole - there was that desire to fish out the rest from her gut. To rip open that fat belly of hers and reclaim what was stolen on his unofficially claimed lands. To swallow what was partially digested as a precursor for the fresher kill - along with her own, newer corpse to add to the mounting pile of flesh.

Yes, and sweet words could only save her for so long. 

“I will shit on it if I so please.” He barked. “What I do with it is no business of yours.” Consume. Vandalize. He would not satisfy her curiosity so easily by consuming a single bite until he oh so desired to - and right now, she was in his crosshairs.

With the crunching of bones as he stepped over the mound of flesh and skeletal remains, the indeed rightfully named Warlord encroached toward the woman in question with furious hunger burning in those similar ruby eyes. If he could, he'd consume both her and it - the more the merrier after all, right? 
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-09-2021, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2021, 02:43 AM by Andraste.)
[narrow width=700]
 How unrefined. How despicable. He spat in the face of her gift, mocked her curiosity, and a sick smile hinted on her lips.

He thought he could throw his weight around and scare her?

How fascinating.

The look in his eyes was a familiar one, one she had known time and time again. One she had once feared but no longer, not since her ties to the joys of life were severed, severed like the head of her father at her own behest. “Oh, too bad then!” She would say, keeping a close eye on his approaching form and readying herself for the fight she knew was coming. Blood shed was inevitable, it would seem - this time, she was not outnumbered. Despite the man's clear power and experience in forcing his way, she would not submit.

Her life was not his to take.

“I had wished to learn what sort of pack lived here,” she mused, “but I can tell it's my time to leave.” She moved to leave but make no mistake - the woman was watching for the attack she knew was incoming. The moment he moved in on her, she would be quick on her paws to evade and potentially strike back. In self defense, of course.

“Perhaps we can hunt together... another time.”
[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u

ICC Warning
07-10-2021, 01:19 AM
^^
There was nothing refined with this beast of a man. He lead creatures, not wolves; and he was no different. It was a miracle the man was able to have any kind of civility long enough to create any kind of alliance with another group. Perhaps his greed was outweighed by the desire for power. To ignore the strength that came with alliances would make him a fool - but how long would that last before that woo would be swallowed up by avarice?

But she was no ally of his.

Her sweet words and tone mocked him.

There was a sweet spot few found when speaking with the ogre travelling in wolf's skin. Those who spoke and found a way to calm his savagery just long enough to strike up some kind of deal - respect, some that travelled lifetimes, beyond the boundaries of worlds (@Hydra). Others, just long enough to to build with the other no matter how different they may be, like water and oil and yet they danced on the surface instead of battling for control (@Célnes). 

She wanted to know of the pack who lived near by... to which he had lost interest with who she was. Those scars spoke of a woman who knew battle, but this would not be her day to speak civility with the Warlord. Perhaps another day, another approach; and instead of speaking, he lunged. Snapping jaws threatening to snap down on the woman's leg or rump with the intention of chasing her away.

Away from the meal she so boldly "shared", away from Nightwalkers' borders. He had no intention to chase her, but he would certainly continue the battle should she choose to stand and fight instead of taking the opportunity to flee while she could.
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-12-2021, 03:30 PM
[narrow width=700]
 The witch danced out of the way without hesitation. Had she still a tail, perhaps it would have been snatched, but nevertheless, her body moved away without his teeth grazing it, though hot breath did blast against her as he lunged.

Ah, a fun game, but she had places to be. So she cackled as she fled with her stolen food safe within her stomach, off into the mist away from the man. Too bad, they could have had some fun. What was with men of this realm, either pitiful fools or too fast to

Death, may that meat spoil before it even reaches your mouth.
[/narrow]

Exit!

the staff team luvs u

07-12-2021, 09:50 PM
^^
With impatience boiling his blood, saliva bubbled from his maw as he snapped at the woman's heels. Yes, she was lucky for the already shortened tail or he might have ripped it clean off himself. Regardless if it lacked much sustenance at all, he would have swallowed it here and now as well - simply out of spite.

The cackle left nothing but a dire to kill the woman should he cross her path again - reminding him of the same attitude that woman with the brindle back had. A cocky belief of one's own abilities to survive, to piss off packs and their leaders with no belief that anything would come of it in time... This one too would soon know not to think so little of her predicament with the Warlord and his kin. 

Having no desire to chase the woman, he simply watched her vanish into the mist. Taking a moment to take in her scent around the location he stood in, logging it away into his memories. Once it was all done, he would grab the rest of the carcass and bring it back within the borders. To hide away some in caches while nibbling on some of the leftovers for himself...
^^
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top