Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Something Comforting

Afternoon Sunny/Clear 61° F
AW
Discovery
Shiroshika
Ecologist
05-25-2021, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 08:12 AM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
At long last they had found their way north and while the land was unfamiliar, it was a step closer to the home she knew. By now Hotaru had come to terms that she would likely never see her true home again. It would be better for her to accept that now if she were to ever accept any other form of home, but at the very least she had her mother. Now they just needed Haruki.

It was concerning that he had yet to show his face, especially when her mom had already trekked what felt like halfway across the world to find her. She would not worry for him though. Haruki had always been capable and if she had survived on her own then surely so had he. The stubborn boy just needed to find his way back.

The mountains that stretched here were few and far between compared to the ones they had passed, though even with short dense peaks, the rock beneath her feet was more than welcoming. Reiko had already decided this would be where they resettle, where they could start over... The evergreens that sprouted from the mountainsides dotted green amongst the white and provided a shade that welcomed prey. It was different, but it was nice.

She could be happy here.

+1 discovery point

the staff team luvs u
05-27-2021, 09:41 PM
 No matter where she searched it seemed that she could not find her way back to where she'd once come. There were no scents, no nothing, that pointed her to her family. Where on earth had she managed to find herself? Better yet, how on earth had she gotten here? She had no recolection of walking this far away... unless, one of those creatures had gotten her? The two-legged ones that she'd only ever heard rumors about. It was strange for sure...

The lean she-wolf trekked further north, brow furrowed as she pondered the turn of events. There was nothing she could do about her situation... but part of her wondered what happened. Perhaps it didn't matter so much now... she just had to survive. Easy enough although her family would beg to differ. They never trusted her with anything, probably because she wasn't "serious" enough. Pfft.

The woman stopped as she realized the snow around her and the drop in temperature. Huh, she'd walked a lot further than she thought she had. Whatever, it wasn't as if she had a home to return to. She was beholden to anyone but herself! Perhaps this was a blessing in disguise? Only time would tell.

"Hey! You! Do you know where we are?" The woman almost hadn't noticed the other wolf, the scent was blowing in the wrong direction for that. No matter. A smile slipped its way onto her face while she trotted forward with her tail loose and friendly behind her. The wolf she saw didn't seem to be an adult but was very close to that stage of life. Maybe they would know something or maybe they had a family that lived here that could tell her more information.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.gif]
Discovery
Counsellor
Ecologist
05-31-2021, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 08:13 AM by Aso. Edited 5 times in total.)
we fixed now for correct gender whoopsies lol

Would chance allow it, Hotaru would have run on in her thoughts, eager to explore the new land and all that it held. She wanted to see what kinds of trees grew here, the hidden gems like the caverns back home,  the flowers— would flowers even grow here? Compared to the valley nestled between peaks from which she came, the land seemed colder here, not that she particularly minded. It left many questions though in regards to what she might find and if the upper reaches would even resemble the bits of the world she was familiar with.

Sadly, she was stopped short before she could even begin. A voice called out to her, one unfamiliar as a scent wafted on the wind. Her lavender gaze turned, quickly landing on the rather tall woman with a pelt of russet browns and cream. She was pretty with a simple smile that softened her features as her tailed wagged easily behind her.

Ah— T-Tsukiishi. Internally she cursed herself for studdering at such a vital moment, but hopefully, her mistake would be overlooked. My mother plans to claim these mountains, but we haven't been here long. Who might you be?

+1 discovery points

the staff team luvs u
06-01-2021, 01:40 AM
 The younger wolf turned to her and answered her inquiry with a stuttering reply. Gyrfalcon didn't dwell on it, assuming that it might be nervousness from being approached by a total stranger. Hopefully with talking to each other the girl would see that she was nothing to be concerned about.

The name that the white wolf shared was unfamiliar and sounded foreign on her tongue when she tried to mimic the sound in a whisper. She was sure she just butchered the name but she'd tried and that's what had counted, right? What's more it seemed that the pup's family might be making a claim here. "Ah, hopefully she doesn't get too upset at me trespassing." She said with a light laugh. Yeah, it would kinda suck if some mystery lady came from the snow to rip her apart for being here, but she was probably fine seeing as the claiming was only in the "planning" stage so far.

"My name's Gyrfalcon. I've kinda just been wandering around... seemed to have woken up here and can't find my way back home." If she could go home. There were some heavy implications with her last memories of her home that didn't bode well. "What about you?" A similar story to her and the old man she'd woken up near to?

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
06-11-2021, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2021, 10:15 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
The pale girl chuckled dryly. It was hard to imagine her mother mad about...well anything. Honestly, she couldn't remember her ever baring her fangs. I don't think you need to worry. We just got here and she's more diplomatic than a woman of action. Besides, she seemed nice enough so far. There was no need to fight a wolf who could be reasoned with.

As she continued though, a frown threatened the corners of her lips. How many of them had awoken here suddenly? Was there a way back to where they all came? Her mother seemed content resettling here, not that they had much to go back to anyways. For them, this was almost a blessing. Almost. With her brother still missing it was hard to say anything was luck or believe this was some safe haven. 

We also woke up here suddenly. I was separated from my family in some hot wasteland to the south. So far everyone we've met woke up here I think. I don't know why...ah, sorry I jumped into it without having introduced myself. I am Hotaru Izuka.

the staff team luvs u
06-12-2021, 07:17 PM
 Ah, a reasonable sort! "Good! I much prefer the "talk-things-outers" over the "Imma-bite-ya-face-offers"." Some people just had sticks up their asses all the time, it was good to find the sort who could laugh things off and/or talk a bit.

It seemed that she'd hit something when she mentioned her dubious arrival here. The corners of the younger girl's mouth seemed to curl downwards a bit. The expression decidedly more serious than before. It was soon made clear why this was the case. Her story was apparently not strange or the last, seeing as others had woken up here in a similar fashion including the girl herself. "Well, ain't that a conundrum." The russet-tinted she-wolf mused to herself, idly wondering why such a thing seemed to be commonplace. Not that they could do anything about it either way. She spent half a second thinking on it before shaking her head.

"Nice to meet you, Hotaru. My name's Gyrfalcon." Hotaru, a name that seemed in a similar vein as the name of this mountain range. "To be fair, it's pretty not-normal and engaging to find out that waking up here is quite normal... come to think of it." She paused to ponder back to her awakening here. "I met a guy who'd woken up here after he'd been fighting a bear somewhere else." Pretty cool dude, he was. All scarred up and with that tough guy look and behavior. "Maybe this place likes snatching up wolves for the fun of it when they're busy." A bit of a joking spin on it because who the heck knew why? It wasn't as if they could figure it out either.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
07-12-2021, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2021, 10:16 PM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
Yes well, we are rather passive I suppose. Scholars and healers opposed to those who thirsted for blood. One had...but they would never have to see him again. Or so she was told. The pale girl had to take a moment to close her eyes and force out a large exhale as she mentally shoved her thoughts back on track and away from the pits. Gyrfalcon? She had heard of a falcon before, was it something similar? It's a pleasure to you as well.

She tilted her head as she debated the other woman's words. It was strange, though she hadn't a clue what might bring them all here. It seemed like a puzzle too big to touch so as far as she was concerned she would focus on what she knew before trying to solve the mysteries of the world. You met a man who fought a bear? How had he survived? Had he fought alone? She thought it was not possible to win against a bear unless a whole pack defended perhaps.

Maybe...does it matter? For her it was a blessing. She had been removed from her dangers, but for others...well, she too was missing family. Others likely suffered the same. It pained her to think what might have happened had she found herself alone and separated from her family forever. Apologies, that might have been insensitive...are you missing someone?

the staff team luvs u
07-27-2021, 02:40 AM
 "Gyrfalcon?" The young woman nodded her head in assent before explaining a bit further, assuming she was curious about the meaning. "Yeah, it's a type of falcon. My mom was really into birds of prey." She said by way of explanation. The woman could talk for hours and hours about this bird and that bird and once she got on the topic of the carnivorous kind, it was a guaranteed tangent for hours on end. A lot of it had gone over her head but she had at least listened to some talk about the bird from which she received her name.

She hadn't realized it before... but she really missed the woman's spiels. She never thought that she would have but she did.

[ident]Gyr shook her head, as if shaking away an errant bug but really she was trying to clear herself os uch sentimental thoughts. She was here now and her family was not. She shouldn't dwell on things that she couldn't change.

The brown wolf smiled happily and nodded again. "Yeah! It was incredible! He was the biggest wolf I'd ever seen!" One would have to be to fight a bear. And surv-- well...

Maybe not survive. It all didn't make much sese to her really, but whatever.

"He was a cool dude." Her admiration for the guy showed through the glow i her gaze. He was one of those awesome badass types that wouldn't be afraid to take anyone on. As opposed to pissing people off and running away like she sometimes did.

"Maybe... does it matter?" Honestly, it was probably a callous thing to say. However, Gyrfalcon didn't not agree. The lanky lady let out a harsh laugh. Borne from agreement and the pain she tried to muffle deep down inside of her. "No no, you're right. It doesn't matter. We're here now and that's not gonna change, is it?" The woman gave a nonchalant shrug as if brushing away all of her worries. "No... no not missing anyone." An image of her family flashed in her mind but she pushed it away. It hurt too much and she couldn't focus on them or anything from back then. She was here now and had to make the most of it. "Honestly, it doesn't matter what happened back then. Just gotta focus on the 'now' although I've got no idea what my 'now' is." It was just a bunch of wandering and doing nothig thus far... and being lonely. The gregarious woman needed to find something to do or she'd likely go mad.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
07-30-2021, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2021, 10:17 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Hotaru knew few falcons, or birds in general really. Only a few had lived amongst the cold mountain peeks of her home. Maybe that was something she could find more of here. A new challenge of sorts for herself as she took in the world. She nodded knowing full well that her own name had been picked for symbolism and resemblance. My name means firefly in my native tongue. My mother said my brother and I were a light in her world. Unknowingly one that she desperately needed at the time.

Gyrfalcon shook her head, at what she couldn't be sure, but the conversation changed from there. Her father had been a large man, but for him to fight a bear, well she'd like to see just how big this other guy was in comparison. Speaking of this place though only seemed to damper the woman's mood. She would claim that there was no one for her to miss...but she could see the truth behind her words. The look in her eyes was the same. She knew it herself.

She missed Haruki, but she was lucky enough to not be completely alone. Wandering from the desert had been enough time on her own to realize what she had and yearn for the good to return. Though pushing for the obvious truth would bring nothing and knowing herself, if the roles had been reversed, she would have wanted it to remained untouched. Well, maybe you can talk to my mother? She's made a habit of picking up stragglers while we figure out what to do.

the staff team luvs u
08-04-2021, 01:15 AM
 Firefly, eh? Gyrfalcon smiled quite kindly at that. "That seems awful sweet of your mom." It was... similar, she supposed, to her own mother. Naming them after things that they loved. It left a soft pang in her heart... Her mother had always been warmer and kinder than her hard-ass of a father.

It honestly made her sad to think she'd never see the woman again.

The conversation moved on and Gyrfalcon was glad when the girl didn't press. Instead, she offered to let her speak with her mother. Gyr pondered that for a moment. She really did have nothing going for her right now and this lady sounded really sweet.

She could use some kindness in her life as well as something to keep her paws busy. This loner thing was not for her.

"Alright, if you don't think your mom'll mind me popping in. I'll talk to her." Maybe it would be just what she needed.

To not make her think about possibly being dead...

the staff team luvs u
08-04-2021, 09:50 PM
end here new thread for @Reiko ??? backdated since she's sick rn or can just have her join this one??

Ahahah, yeah, a bit sappy maybe but a nice meaning. She let her paws scuff the snow beneath her as her ears splayed back. Had she no fur then the rising blush would likely be evident on her cheeks. Maybe they were all a bit cheesy in that sense, she had been raised by a kind heart, but pointing it out always seemed to make her backtrack.

She bounced back quickly though as Gyrfalcon accepted her offer. Honestly, she hadn't expected to...recruit? A member? was that what this was? Well, either way surely her mother wouldn't complain and Gyrfalcon was nice enough. Oh ok, I'll call for her then and we can go find her. She wouldn't even wait before tipping her head back to call for the snowy empress, though she'd wait for the other to move before she started to lead.

the staff team luvs u
08-05-2021, 12:56 AM
Definitely dated before the great sickness!

^^
Spending her afternoon organizing the medicine den, Reiko stopped and peeked out of her den to hear her daughter's call somewhere within the mountains. Unceremoniously did she drop the small bundle of dried herbs onto the ground, quickly running out of the scented den filled with various healing herbs and toward where she was being summoned by her daughter no less.

Petite paws carried her swiftly over the snow and beyond a few peaks until finally her eyes met the figure of the warm coated woman in the distance first, followed by the sight of her daughter who blended oh so wonderfully within the snow. In a warm embrace she greeted Hotaru with a nuzzle along her neck, a sway in her tail and a smile upon pale lips. “Hotaru, Princess - who is this? Why was I called?”

The stranger was beautiful, warm coated and tall - was she just as tall as Izumi or was this stranger actually taller than the crane? Focussing her attention back onto the stranger. “I am Reiko.” Light taps of her tail bounced on the top of the snow as she sat where she stood next to Hotaru. Giving space for the stranger or the Princess to introduce this new pretty face.
^^
the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
08-05-2021, 02:03 AM
 Haha, had she accidentally embarrassed the other with her words? Whoops! The earthen toned maiden didn't remark but noted it with some amusement as the conversation bounced forward. Ah, her mother would be called then. Gyrfalcon listened as the yearling's tone filled the air with a summons. Soon, the woman would know where to find them. Gyrfalcon would prepare to accompany the other as they moved to hopefully go closer to her mother. "Alright, let's--" She stopped, noting the sweet scent of herbs and movement coming from nearby.

The woman of the hour appeared. It seemed as if they wouldn't have to go anywhere!

Gyrfalcon wagged her tail in greeting as the sweet woman walked up to her daughter to give her a tender greeting. Gyrfalcon felt her heart pang as she was reminded once again of her own mother. However, she would say nothing and only smiled until the white wolf turned her attention to her.

The lady was equally as pale as her daughter and was quite stunning in appearance. Tiny, petite, graceful. Gyrfalcon figured she'd never seen someone so lovely and refined as she. Just as Hotaru had said before, the woman seemed oh-so-kind. "Hey! Nice to meet you, Reiko. My name's Gyrfalcon." She put on one of her most charming smiles and gave a polite dip of her head. "I've heard a lot of good things about you!" She said with a wink to the matriach and a knowing smile at Hotaru. "I was hoping that maybe I could join up with you guys? I don't have much going on." And I'm really freaking lonely. Like so lonely. Amazingly so. I need friends, please.

That part was, of course, not said out loud.

the staff team luvs u
08-05-2021, 03:52 AM
Not even two words had been spoken between them before her mother came running. It seemed she was still getting used to the idea that she wasn't a child anymore and that any time she called wasn't some urgent need for her attention. In this case though, the speed would only benefit them should Gyrfalcon be welcomed into their ranks like she suspected she would be.

Even with her mother's question, there would be no need for Hotaru to speak. Gyrfalcon answered any question Reiko could have about her presence so the pale girl simple stood to the side, eyes shifting between the two as she waited for her mother to make a decision.

the staff team luvs u
08-05-2021, 11:11 PM
^^
“I am quite pleased they were all positive things.” She smiled wide and bright. Finding the wink to be a cute little additive to their greeting, never had she seen such a thing - especially a woman! Hotaru had chosen to remain silent as of now, opting to fade away into the background as the older women spoke.

“We would love to have you Gyrfalcon, has Hotaru told you anything about Shiroshika?” She was not about to assume how much the woman knew about Shiroshika and where to start. The beginning was always the best at least. 'Not much going on' had Reiko assume it was possibly only a temporary stay, which wasn't against their policy. If Gyrfalcon just needed a place to rest for a while, Shiroshika would certainly provide so long as she pulled her own weight at least during her days with them.

Well, she would ask how long she planned to stay at a later date. For now, perhaps the woman wanted to rest with a full belly, safely tucked away in the Blue Hollow or at least behind the safety of their borders.
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-08-2021, 03:15 AM
 The older woman took her jesting in good faith, bouncing with a lively personality that seemed downright contagious. Yes, she could certainly be fine living here with the woman and her family.

The younger white wolf remained silent which she figured was fair. They were speaking on the pack and her mother, the leader, could certainly handle all of the long expository about that.

Speaking of.

"Absolutely nothing." She said perkily with a bright grin. "I'm all ears though." She was eager to hear what this pack was all about, seeing as she planned to stick around for a while. Heck, maybe forever, it all depended on if it felt right to stay here over the long-term.

the staff team luvs u
08-08-2021, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2021, 10:14 PM by Reiko.)
^^
Hotaru had told their guest nothing. Interesting that she would want to join without knowing anything about the pack but just a little of what she heard about their one leader, from her daughter no less. Either Hotaru had painted her mother in such a light she could never live up to - or Gyrfalcon was as desperate as any to find a place to live.

“We hope to be a home for many. A place to rest and find peace, a new beginning for those who wish to move on from their pasts. We do not expect lifelong loyalty, but we do ask to remember our kindness and let us know before you leave so we may know you are safe.” They would take a different approach than most packs would. Freedom and hospitality would be their best defences, and their samurai the backup should all else fail.

“Does that sound like something that may interest you?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top