Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
I just drowned in a warm dream

Evening Partly Cloudy 12° F
P
05-13-2021, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:14 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
@Reiko  1_face_kiss_heart

Izumi couldn't ignore it; she was feeling very irritable as of late. The crane had been adamantly avoiding Reiko all week and it was a mystery even to herself as to why -- she didn't want to, but there was a mysterious change in the way her scent wafted in the air around her which drove Izu into a state of aggravation. To the point that she was afraid something might happen if she was around her friend -- that she might do something to hurt her friend. The young woman was under the impression that she'd been going crazy, though strangely enough, that feeling began to wear off after some time. The scent which bothered her to such a degree became less potent, and it was at that time where Izu felt a little braver to approach her than usual.

A soft and slightly nervous woof was sent out to call for the winter empress, where ever she'd been. She felt a little guilty for staying away for such a long time and wished to explain herself in the best way she could -- but at the same time, Izumi wished to ask questions that she might have answers to.... 

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
[Image: IZumi1.png]
Discovery
Shiroshika
05-13-2021, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2021, 01:55 AM by Reiko. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
She hadn't noticed that the others might have been avoiding her these past few days, in fact, almost a week now. Too busy trying to find a safe place to call their new home, to settle and get comfortable - to rest after what was such a long travel to find just one of the missing children. At first it was strange to settle somewhere, to convince herself that this would be their home from now on among the peaks and snow - but as the days went on and more of the lands she saw, the more it grew on her.

If only Haruki was here to enjoy it too.

A gentle woof caught her attention and with a turn she caught sight of Izumi who had come to join her today. こんにちは Izumi! How are you liking here as our home?” Genuinely curious, she wanted to make sure that everyone who would remain together would enjoy their new home as much as Reiko would. It was for all of them after all, not just her to enjoy - little did she know Izumi had other things on her mind than the mountainous terrain they would settle in.
^^

+1 discovery point

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
05-14-2021, 04:43 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:14 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
Soon enough, the face of the snow-white would make her presence known and Izu turned to greet the small woman with a nervous glance. "こんにちは..." she replied meekly, unconsciously stepping a few paces back as if to make sure Rei didn't get too close. How ironic that the crane had come here to apologize for avoiding Rei like the plague all week, only to continue doing so in the present.

She swallowed a ball, and took a deep breath.

"It is nice here so far, it really is." The girl's violet gaze flitted towards the various mountains which surrounded them. Her words, while fumbled a bit due to her distraction, were genuine when spoken through a thin smile. Izu was not accustomed to northern weather like the empress was, but she'd make an exception for such an ethereal setting.   "I still have yet to get used to the weather,  but I'll manage...." Though this was not the subject she wished to discuss at the moment and was earnest to move forward. So she sat -- let out a sigh -- and spoke: "Also, I've been meaning to....apologize, for the past couple of days......"

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
05-17-2021, 01:09 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:15 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
The swinging in her tail slowed just a fraction as Izumi spoke in a gentler tone, meek and almost shy as if they were meeting one another for the first time again - or was there something else Reiko wasn't picking up on just yet? With a curious tilt of her head she mirrored Izumi and sat where she stood, carefully wrapping her plush tail around the toes at her base while patiently waiting to listen to the crane.

The way she spoke of their possible new home almost made the pale woman nervous, did they pick wrong? Was this a location too much for a norther only to enjoy and that others would find themselves homesick for warmer climate? It would be a shame to chase some out all because there was a difference in weather appreciation.

And as Izumi spoke, the worry in Reiko's own features deepened as pale brows furrowed ever so slightly in confusion. “Apologize? I cannot imagine why it would be necessary?” With a few batting lashes she offered the stage for Izumi to speak of what was bothering her. By no means Reiko had noticed any stranger than usual behaviour from the crane, but perhaps she was rather absent these past few days.

Was that what it was all about?
^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
06-18-2021, 11:40 PM
The tone of concern on the dove's face only deepened her anxieties and made Izumi want to back out just as quickly as she started, but she knew she couldn't do that. There was no backing out of it now, and if Izumi wished to start living a new life alongside her friend, then being more transparent with how she felt was the best option -- as unfamiliar as that was to the crane. "I.....I've been avoiding you....f-for a while now...." She began, taking a moment to gulp a ball of air that formed in her throat. Her head turned away, and violet depths averted "I-I don't know why though, it just.....your presence from this past week...it...." Her scent to be more specific. What, did the crane just pull Reiko aside to tell her she smelled bad? -- well, that just sounded rude. This wasn't the case, however. Actually, it was something that the fae didn't understand too well herself.

"It...makes me act strange. In a way that made me wish you harm..." was what the princess eventually blurted out with a sigh. There must've been something wrong with her, and she wouldn't be surprised if Reiko felt the same way by confessing this...

the staff team luvs u
06-30-2021, 10:36 PM
^^
Tender concern washed over the young woman. Perhaps it was her motherly instincts kicking in and letting patience just run its course as she waited for the crane to speak what was on her mind. It didn't matter how long it took for Izumi to speak, right now, the Empress to be had nothing else to do, nothing better to aid an ailing mind.

As Izumi averted her eyes, Reiko's crown tilted to side as her head fell lightly to the right. Curious as she listened to words being shared. She wasn't much older than Izumi. A few months perhaps but it was still hard to not feel just that much older after becoming a mother. Like the weight of the world had aged her by years since just a little over a year ago.  

If it wasn't for her pale complexion, perhaps she would have already grown grey. 

“This past week...” Parroting the words almost felt like it would help to figure out what might have happened, what might have caused such a concerning feeling to rise within Izumi. “ Ah!” And light a light, it all seemed to come together. 

“Has anyone told you about 'heats'? Have you had your first yet Izumi?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
06-30-2021, 11:33 PM
Izumi flinched after she'd finished speaking, even only for a little bit. Like a child preparing themselves for a harsh scolding from their mother. What she had just told Reiko -- how she wished her harm for no other reason than a strange malice she couldn't understand herself -- it made her heart lurch uncomfortably to say such a thing to a woman who'd been nothing but kind and understanding the entire ride here. The princess had never seen Reiko angry before, but she wouldn't blame the snow dove if she was after saying that....but she wasn't.

There was no look of betrayal, wariness, or disgust as she'd expected from the Empress -- only the same soft, kind gaze of clear water that had comforted Izumi for as long as they'd know each other, and a set of words that made Izu's dark brows furrow over lilac depths in confusion. "I'm sorry, what?" Actually -- an angry Reiko, which was probably before seen, might she add, would've been more expected than this.

"What....heat are you talking about, Reiko? It's not hot here at all...."

the staff team luvs u
07-01-2021, 12:47 AM
^^
Perhaps if Izumi was a stranger, the threat of harm would have been more alarming. Not to mention she did not act upon this dark desire of hers, which meant more to Reiko than she could express. Her gratitude was returned with kindness. Understanding and the desire to help Izumi understand her own feelings. Though she herself had never experienced such feelings - she could remember how some women were more likely to chase off others during their time, all for the sake of being yearned for with no challengers.

The crane's continuous confusion almost made Reiko laugh, but if only that wasn't rude! Stifling the giggle that threatened to escape, all she did was smile instead and sit, patting the ground as to try and invite Izumi to get comfortable as well. “'Heat' is the simple way to say that one is in 'season'.”

It would be hard to explain if she was honest... but perhaps this could be a test run for when she would have to explain this time of the year to her daughter sometime before her own first 'heat'. 

“It is when you are ready to uhh...” Well now, how should she explain this properly. Even now it was awkward, a little flushed feeling rose in her cheeks as she tried to put together a way of explaining it without sounding perverse in any way. With a deep breath, she continued after a little sigh to relax her nerves. “Copulate with a man to make puppies.”

Rounded eyes sought to find Izumi's, hoping that there would be a certain understanding now. Lord how she didn't want to explain copulation or the nitty gritty details of puppy making. 
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-01-2021, 03:16 AM
While her ivory companion found internal humor with what Izumi had said, the pointed woman was, unfortunately, dead serious -- all of which could be heard in her voice, and even seen in her deadpan expression; which was usually like trying to read a page of hieroglyphics anyway.

Sadly, the only thing Izumi was knowledgeable in when it came to the glorious world of sex and bearing children was that it....happened. No, she was not dumb enough to think that storks appeared out of thin air dropping pups in the dens of mothers, but she was simply never taught any further details beyond a simple "A boy and girl makes a child" during her yearling days. Not the process it took to do so.

So imagine the look of confusion on Izumi when Reiko continued her explanation, which was brought up unexpectedly when asking about her strange behavior. This naturally made the girl more curious as she found a spot beside her, as the moment definitely called for it. "What does that have to do with....any of this?" Izumi inquired softly after a moment of silence -- confused, and a little scared too.

How did they go from talking about why Reiko smelled weird to this??

the staff team luvs u
07-04-2021, 06:40 PM
^^
Oh how she hoped that Izumi would understand it all without too much detail - honestly Reiko wasn't ready to go into all the nitty gritty details herself. Still young and relatively inexperienced, it was a beyond uncomfortable situation as Izumi voiced how she was still concerned with it all.

Her smile shifted to something more —

awkward. 

Even in her seat she shifted uneasily, shuffling her toes in the snow and rearranging her tail to tuck in around her a little tightly. “Uhhh.” There was no stopping the sound from breaking the tense air hanging between them. “I was uhh... In heat the past few days without realizing until late into it. That's what you were smelling.”

Maybe that brought a little more sense to it all. “I'd imagine you too should have yours soon too.” She said slowly, softly - reminding herself to make sure she spoke to Izumi once more about it all once she herself would notice the change in Izumi's scent. At least, judging by Izumi's appearance and assumed age.

Though she wouldn't stop her from being a mother herself, they both had to be certain that Izumi wanted to change her life by being a mother - especially if she didn't have a mate either before that time. “When it comes, I will approach you how about that?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-21-2021, 07:08 PM
The situation had definitely taken an awkward turn -- Izumi could feel it despite not knowing what was going on. So she was quite relieved to know the explanation was quickly replaced with somewhat of a shorter answer that was easier to understand, and yeah, she caught on to the fact that Reiko was holding back somewhat. Silly -- how could the princess not know such things at the peak adulthood? Well, only way to know is to experience this “heat” herself, as Reiko put it. And speaking of heat, it seemed to be the cause of what Reiko was smelling like this past week and though  she couldn’t fully understand what that meant, the young crane didn’t wish to push further -- they seemed uncomfortable enough. Perhaps it would be better to wait anyway….with a reaction like that coming out of Rei, she was now too scared to inquire further based.

With a deep breath, the she-wolf rolled her shoulders to relax somewhat. Uncomfortable atmosphere aside, this meeting turned out to be less stress-inducing than expected -- and Izu was grateful for that.

“I’m just glad you aren’t upset with me, is all...”

the staff team luvs u
07-21-2021, 11:19 PM
^^
With a toothy smile that clearly said "I'm uncomfortable but don't know what to do or how to explain these things despite wanting to", there she sat and waited for the cogs in Izumi's brain to tick and click into place. Eventually it would be a conversation to have with all her children so now was a good time to try and dust off that uncomfortable awkwardness with the subject - even if it didn't go over all too smoothly.

As Izumi sighed and relaxed, so did Reiko. 

Upset with her? Her eyes wide and worried for a moment before the Empress approached to lean on the crane for comfort - comfort for who? Well... both ladies maybe? It was a tough conversation for both women, one full of anxiety. “Absolutely not. I would approach you if I were.” Hopefully that would ease any further discomfort in the future from Izumi, from guessing if Reiko was or wasn't upset about something.

She would be upfront at least, and now Izumi would know that. There would be no secrets, no games.
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-22-2021, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:16 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Wrapping up!

When Reiko leaned into Izu, the crane leaned back into her comforting touch -- It was nice to know that there was no bad blood between them after revealing her worries. Fujiwara wasn't used to being so transparent with her emotions due to lacking the knowledge of how to express them properly, but the fact that she was not sullied in the eyes of her friend was very reliving.

She knew she would enjoy her time here in her new home, learning new things and forming new relationships -- both of which she'd been too afraid to explore in the past. And in time, when she was educated enough to not have the mind of a ditzy virgin (and embarrassed that this encounter with Reiko even existed), will she start thinking about her future, her love life, and deciding if this was the place she'd like to continue her befallen bloodline with children....

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top